Disney in Houston!!!

Discussion in 'Disney Rumors and News' started by Akmayeli, Aug 23, 2012.

1. Akmayeli

Akmayeli Mouseketeer

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Michael623

Michael623 WDW 40 trips, DL 10 trips, DLP 2 trips, Currently

I wouldn't put on your dancing shoes yet. Did you notice this was posted the day before April 1st? Don't you think this would be bigger news? Come on.

4. CandyMandy

CandyMandy DIS Veteran

5. Akmayeli

Akmayeli Mouseketeer

:confused:
    Why do people fake news out there?? Wrong on so many levels.

6. manning

manning <font color=blue>Just for that I have requested it

It's confirmed. It's going to open the day after the one in Barrow AK.

7. doconeill

doconeill Fastpass Jedi Master DIS Lifetime Sponsor

You mean the "Disney's Winter Wonderland" project, where all the buildings will be carved out of ice, and the Matterhorn bobsleds will be REAL bobsleds?

Come on, I'm sure it's in the blue sky file cabinet somewhere, right next to the Disney in New England project my dad promised me was coming as a kid :)

8. patsal

patsal <font color=FF3399>I've discovered I don't need to

Let's not forget the one in Niagara Falls built under the bubble to keep everything all sunshiny...still waiting on that one and my mom told me that when I was a kid so like 30 years ago!

9. Dopey420

Dopey420 DIS Veteran

Texans will believe anything about Texas. Completely delusional. Texas, ugh!

10. k5jmh

k5jmh When Yuba plays the Rumba on his Tuba...

11. Legendteri

Legendteri Mouseketeer

Ha right, I know what you mean. I live in Missouri and ever since I was a child I also heard rumors about Disney buying up a lot of property by Branson and building a park near there.

12. Vemnox

Vemnox The Mayor

FWIW Disney owns land in all 50 states.

13. cupcakefairy2u

cupcakefairy2u Its just me the cupcake fairy

We cant help that we are so special :rolleyes:

Really I see bumper stickers here all the time that say " I am not a native Texan but I got here as fast as I could" LOL

14. HubbDave

HubbDave Remember, no matter where you go, there you are

There are people around here who were convinced that Disney bought Mt Wachusett for that purpose

15. doconeill

Well, we did have the "original" Pleasure Island in Wakefield, called the "Disneyland of the Northeast" in it's day (closed 1969).

16. Planogirl

Planogirl I feel the nerd in me stirring

At least we're not rude. :rolleyes2

I enjoy these rumors when they pop up. The Renaissance Festival sight north of Houston is supposed to be the location sometimes too. :)

17. CandyMandy

CandyMandy DIS Veteran

I guess Pleasure Island was trumped by the shorter lived but much larger Freedomland U.S.A., since the latter park (which was located in the northern reaches of the Bronx in NYC) was often called "Disneyland of the East."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpWcFZ-_LqU[]"

[​IMG]

18. doconeill

Built by the same guy, Cornelius Wood, who worked for Walt during the initial design and construction of Disneyland...

19. Danibelle

Danibelle DIS Veteran

I remember visiting this park in 1963 with my aunt and uncle!

20. CandyMandy

CandyMandy DIS Veteran

Doc, good catch. You may also know that before he "left" Disney (more on that below) and built Freedomland, Wood built Pleasure Island up in MA and the original Magic Mountain park (which was in Colorado, not CA).

Perhaps the most interesting tangent of the Wood/Walt Disney relationship was the question of what led to Wood leaving and going out on his own as a theme park developer.

Most sources say that Walt and Wood simply had a "falling out." But some others imply the story is much darker (Wood was caught embezelling/planning to "steal" ideas, etc).

Whatever happened, the departure was definitely not amicable; to this day, Disney doesn't acknowledge Wood's deep involvement in the development of Disneyland (Wood picked the site and was a core participant in developing the park layout). Search anything Disney has every published, posted or broadcast on its legacy and you will find absolutely no mention whatsoever of Wood. He literally received the "remove his name from all temples" treatment the Pharaoh gave Moses.

But he is visible -and viewed differently - once you get outside Disney:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C.V._Wood

And here is 1955 photo (from a non Disney source) of then Vice President Richard Nixon being given the key to Disneyland by Fess parker. Wood is standing to the right of Nixon.

[​IMG]

21. doconeill

Yup, when I wrote "built by the same guy", I meant the guy who built Pleasure Island, but then my wording wasn't good.

Although it's hard to verify the claims when no reliable info exists about his involvement with Disneyland...