Disney gift cards at Target

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by squeaky_penguin, Mar 19, 2013.

1. squeaky_penguin

squeaky_penguin Mouseketeer

I read that the Disney gift cards were on sale at Target over the holidays. How often do they go on sale? I have the Target Red card and would like to stock up on some gift cards for our upcoming trip.

Thanks!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

I believe what you are thinking of is a coupon that came out for $10 off a $50 purchase, which people were using on the entertainment cards. (Disney cards)

They did it a couple weeks in a row in December and i believe they also did it the previous December but not the rest of the year. A word of warning though, there is a printing limit on them so technically you aren't supposed to be able to get more than 2 and they are supposed to be 1 per transaction, so 2 transactions total. Somebody made a pdf of the coupon and posted it online so people were printing them freely last year. Some cashiers don't care, but if you walk in with a stack of them you can be turned away and they are in the right turning you away. (technically it is coupon fraud and is illegal) Many people seemed to get away with using a ton of them though.

4. lizzygreen

lizzygreen Mouseketeer

If you use your Target card, you get 5% off Disney gift cards at Target.

5. shopn24seven

shopn24seven DIS Veteran

I just got hired at Target. they told me that I get 10% off and I can use my red card with that discount, for a total of 15%. SWEET

6. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

Find out if prescription rewards stack! Maybe you can get 20% off, I'm excited for you! :cool1:

7. bpesch

bpesch DIS Veteran

There was an ad out during the holidays that had certain gift cards on sale. Disney was one of them. The problem was that it was in limited areas. They didn't do it at all around my area and I was never able to get anyone to figure out why. It was very frustrating!

8. Disfamily0405

Disfamily0405 Mouseketeer

My husband works for Target and the prescription rewards do stack. I don't know if it matters to you but when you look at the receipt it actually calculates to about 14.5% for the employee discount + Red Card and employee discount + Redcard + prescription reward it is 18.8%. The difference comes from how the discounts are taken off at the register, Employee dicount first, then pharmacy rewards, then Redcard discount. I don't have a problem with it, its still awesome to get any discount, just didn't want you to be shocked when you look at your receipt and it isn't exactly 15% and 20%

9. ladybug0506

ladybug0506 Earning My Ears

I just wanted to second what the pp said. The discounts do stack. My husband and I waited on our prescription rewards certificate so that we could buy enough gift cards to pay off our Disney vacation. One thing to be aware of though, because we ran into this problem... there is a daily limit on how much you can spend using the red card debit card. Despite many calls to Target, no one was able to tell us how this limit is determined. We found out because we needed enough cards that we had to go to multiple stores to get them. The very last transaction was declined despite the money being in our checking account. Fortunately, this was only for last 5 cards we needed. Still, something to be aware of.

10. msammon

msammon Earning My Ears

We anticipated the same problem with our Target Red debit card, so we went and spoke with a manager prior to going to the register. We were told that as long as we had the card, and used it for the amount that was approved, we would be able to extend the discount for our entire purchase and use our regular debit card (or credit card) for the rest.
    We stacked our pharmacy discount and our Red card discount and bought enough cards to pay for our entire trip plus spending money!

11. dllocals

dllocals Mouseketeer

To figure multiple percentage discounts you have to apply each percent one after the other. Example: 10% of $100 is $90. Another 5% is applied to $90. ($90 x 5% = -$4.50) you save $14.50 or 14.5%. Another 5% would then apply to the $85.50 ($85.50 x 5%)

12. Grumpy's Gal

Grumpy's Gal <font color=coral>Of course, who wants to get gold

if I have five $10 target gift cards, can I buy one $50 disney card?

13. sunflare

sunflare Mouseketeer

Yep. Just did it with close to $100 in Target gift cards. Ended up getting $1k in Disney cards for about $820, after everything involved.

14. Christen99

Christen99 Wet behind the ears

I know that you can buy different card demoninations at Target, but the only ones I can find at our local Target stores are the $50 cards at the registers. Are there other denominations in other areas of the store?

15. SGB13

SGB13 Mouseketeer

My store just has the $50 cards also. At Christmas they had some $25 also, but I have never seen higher dollar values.

16. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

I have also only seen $25 and $50... I have three Target stores that I go to and am usually there a few times a week, so I feel confident saying that they never have higher than that here. It's frustrating when you have to have a huge stack of them.

17. Grumpy's Gal

Sory - I shouldhave phrased that differently.

Will Target let you use Target gift cards to purchase other gift cards?

18. mistysue

mistysue DIS Veteran

I am not sure about using Target gift cards for larger Target gift cards, but if you mean using gift cards to buy entertainment cards (what target calls all of the "gift cards" for other vendors) then yes, you can.

19. Grumpy's Gal

Thank you! That is the best news I have heard today! I have some Target gift cards and if I can use them to buy Disney cards, that will help us out a lot!

20. amypetecar

amypetecar DIS Veteran

How did you do that?

21. goofyredraider

goofyredraider DIS Veteran

Yes, I do it all the time. I earn the free $5 ,etc. cards from toiletries, groceries, etc. and save them until I have enough to buy a Disney GC.