Disney Gift card to pay for WDW package/deposit

Discussion in 'Budget Board' started by pittsburghmom, Oct 5, 2012.

1. pittsburghmom

pittsburghmom Mouseketeer

I'm planning our 1st trip to the "world".....we did 2 days at the "land" over 2 years ago, so new territory for me! :upsidedow

Quick question: I will be calling to book our package next week when the new discount is released to the GP. Can I use a Disney gift card to pay the deposit amount (isn't it $200?) and then use gift cards to pay the balance over the next couple of months?

Our local grocery store sells the cards and I can earn fuel discounts this way

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. dvcterry

dvcterry DIS Veteran

i have paid the balance on gift cards. but a word of caution, if you cancel, they credit that card back so don't throw it out. i had cancelled a trip & fortunately when they told me balance was going back on the gift card I kept them in a safe place. same as cash.

4. princessmomma92

princessmomma92 Earning My Ears

My friend who lives 500 miles away and I took a trip together last month. She paid her entire half with Disney gift cards and I paid most of mine that way as well. You can get Disney gift cards at Walgreens if you do not live near a Disney store. . Hope this helps.

5. sydneysmom

sydneysmom needing a vacation....soon!

I just booked our package and used a couple of gift cards for the deposit... you can pay using them right on the website. :thumbsup2

6. Marionnette

Marionnette <font color=deeppink>Wishing On A Star<br><font co

Those of you who buy gift cards in order to get gas perks or other discounts should read about the problem that it caused for this poster:

http://www.disboards.com/showthread.php?t=3002452

In a nutshell, she purchased GCs to pay for her trip and now she has to cancel for financial reasons. She needs the trip money so that she can pay a hospital bill. If she can't return the GCs for a refund (and that's possible if she didn't purchase directly from Disney), she may have to settle for a reduced price on ebay or one of the credit card re-seller websites.

Yes, it often works out without any problems. But when it doesn't work out, it really sucks. Having a couple thousand $$$ in Disney GCs is worth nothing when the accepted currency is USD where you owe money.