Disney Gift Card question

Discussion in 'Disneyland (California)' started by Astylla, Mar 16, 2013.

1. Astylla

Astylla Disney Fanatic

Hi eveyone. My DH and I have been buying Disney gift cards weekly from Safeway to save for our trip and now have about $350 in gift cards ranging from $25 to $50 increments. Does anyone know of there isa way to get them all loaded onto one at the park itself or if this is even possible ?

It's a shot in the dark but figured we would ask..Thanks !

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. CateinPhoenix

CateinPhoenix Mouseketeer

We stock up on giftcards too....I haven't heard of any way to get them all on one.....

4. Snurk71

Snurk71 DIS Veteran

The only way I've heard to do it is to apply all of the gift cards to your room charge for a stay and any leftover gift card amount will be returned on a single card. Not exactly what you were hoping for, but that's the closest I've heard.

I'm going to find out if this even works when we go in a couple weeks. I have a couple thousand in gift cards from the Target Xmas deal and I want to combine them into one for my travel agent to apply to our cruise.

5. figment_jii

figment_jii DIS Veteran

As the PPs have said, there is no way to combine several cards onto one card. You'll have to use each of them, but you can use multiple cards on one transaction. My family collects the gift cards, so we load them with small amounts ($5 to $100) and then use them in the parks. They're kind of thick, but I've carried 20 at one time before it wasn't too bad.

6. theluckyrabbit

theluckyrabbit DIS Veteran

People on other boards have reported having no luck with this. They were trying to combine all the gift cards onto 1 card for buying tickets. I think they were told by Guest Services, their local Disney Store, and CMs in ticketing that they could use all the gift cards for their purchase, but that there is currently no way to load all the separate cards onto one card. We asked this same question a while ago and were told the same answer.

7. Astylla

Astylla Disney Fanatic

Thanks everyone for your responses. We bought them to get extra gas points and to "pre pay" for our meals/extras , etc. Guess I'll be dragging around the heavy wallet haha. Thanks for your responses. I figured as much but never hurts to ask !

8. JalenJade

JalenJade Mouseketeer

There is 1 exception that I found yesterday. If you are registering for an event (such as a tour) they only take 3 gift cards over the phone. The total would be more than three gift cards so I called Disney Gift Cards (number on the back of your card) and they said they'd make an exception and load the values of a few cards onto one card so I could purchase the tour with it.

9. sleepymouse

sleepymouse Mouseketeer

Can only be combined onto 1 card if purchased from Disney Store, not yet activated and you have the receipt for all of them. I had 40 of them that I wanted to combine but could not since purchased from Target. Luckily, I could use them all separately to pay for vacation.

10. ValpoCory

ValpoCory DIS Veteran

In 2011, I was able to call the number on the back of the card and consolidate. I had to call during business hours though. Calling after hours sent me to a department that couldn't do it.

11. pennyring

pennyring Thrift Ninja

This doesn't make sense. If they are not yet activated, you wouldn't have a receipt. They "activate" when you buy them.

I know the Target receipts say they will be active "within 3 hours", but they have always been active IMMEDIATELY for me right after purchase. As in, I walked out to my car, called the number on back of the card to check, and yep, active.

Anyway, I bought a ton of Target Disney gift cards and have used them over the past few weeks to buy our Park Hoppers at the Disney Store. Works like a charm and I totally recommend it.

12. mdsd8700

mdsd8700 It's kind of fun to do the impossible

Thanks for that information. I actually had been wondering what the policy was for booking a tour with gift cards as I have some I wanted to use for the purpose. Good to know. :)

13. Jazzheffa

Jazzheffa Earning My Ears

Also there is a great Disney giftcard ap! You don't her to wonder what's left.

I wish I had that Disney feeling at work.

14. heidibrigham

heidibrigham Earning My Ears

Where is the best place to purchase gift cards? I see Target mentioned a lot,do they have specials?

15. cats mom

cats mom Mouseketeer<br><br><font color=green>Has a wild an

If you have a Target RedCard (debit or credit) your 5% discount applies to Disney Gift Cards.

If you're a member of Target's pharmacy rewards program you can also stack the one day discount you get for filling 5 Rx's. I believe that's 5% as well, but I don't know for sure. I joined the pharmacy rewards program, but it could be years before we fill enough scripts to get the discount.

Some people also choose to buy Disney Gift Cards at their grocery store, no discount on the gift cards that I know of, but you can rack up points toward fuel discounts, which can be a good deal.

16. nana50

nana50 DIS Veteran

If you use a $50.00 gift card and spend $40.00 do they give you real cash back or Disney dollars?

17. cats mom

cats mom Mouseketeer<br><br><font color=green>Has a wild an

You get the same $50 gift card back, with the amount you spent deducted of course. That's why the gift card ap mentioned can be so helpful.

I tend to go old school and wrap my most recent receipt, which shows the balance remaining, around the gc I used. Not foolproof, but it generally works OK.

18. pharmama

pharmama DIS Veteran

Yes, the Target Pharmacy Reward is 5%. It applied after the red card 5% so you don't quite get a total of 10% off but it's pretty close (9.75%).

If you give them a $50 gift card for a $40 purchase, they will give you the card back with a $10 balance. They will not give you cash. I'm not sure if there is a threshold where they will give you cash but if there I would expect it to be pretty low (like 1 or $2).

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

19. ImarriedGrumpy

ImarriedGrumpy AKA Miss lady who isn't my mommy

California law says that you can ask to have a card balance of less than $10 given to you in cash, but a lot of businesses aren't very good about it. So if you have, say, $7 left on a gift card, you can ask to have them give you that in cash after the purchase. However, many stores either aren't familiar with the law or haven't trained their employees on it. Starbucks got in big trouble with that.

20. Disney Dreams

Disney Dreams Proudly afflicted with TDMA!

What am I missing?

Can someone explain to me the advantage of buying a whole lot of Disney gift cards as opposed to just saving the money for the trip, charging the trip on a credit card, and then paying off the credit card with the money saved upon return?

I have read many threads on DIS about using gift cards to pay/save for a trip and I don't understand the reasoning behind what seems to be a lot of hassle, but so many people talk about it, there must just be something I"m missing. Can someone kindly educate me? Thanks!

- Dreams

21. pharmama

pharmama DIS Veteran

Usually people do this because they are either getting a discount on the giftcards (Target Red Card 5% and/or Pharmacy 5% rewards), getting some kind of other reward (gas rewards at supermarkets, 5% cash back on their CC because they bought the gift cards at a certain type of store etc), or because they ask all their friends and family to give them Disney Gift Cards as gift so they have a pile of them.

I used to think using them purely as a budgeting device was crazy, but now that I've started doing gift cards (I started for the Target 5% stacked to 10% rewards) I actually kind of like how I feel we keep better track of $$ being spent in the park when using gift cards.