• Controversial Topics
    Several months ago, I added a private sub-forum to allow members to discuss these topics without fear of infractions or banning. It's opt-in, opt-out. Corey Click Here

Disney for DD’s 16th with her 6 GFs: Are you Stupid Nuts? (Updated: The End)

As you're arriving, we're leaving...it's been a terrific week (even including the freezing temps at the week's beginning)...I'll leave the pixie dust that so liberally sprinkled our days for you...

THings got really busy here at the World yesterday....all those "non-lines" (fast passes for 9:41 at 9:35 at Space Mountain!) of earlier this week are but a memory now...still, good times no doubt await you...

Have a GREAT time; look forward to hearing about it when you get back...

I SURVIVIED. More surprising is that all the kids did too. Tried to leave a couple at a rest stop but had to slow down for traffic and they caught up to us. I told the other kids to ignore them but they were compassionate and opened the door so they could dive in.

The trip had its ups and downs, highs and lows, zigs and zags. It was the best of times and the worst of times. Wait, I think I read that somewhere. Any more clichés I can add?

A good time was had by all and was well worth doing. We did some fun stuff together and they did some more fun stuff (for both them and me) alone as a group. The trip report will start in a couple of days. To paraphrase Tom Hanks in Forrest Gump, “I’m kinda tired. I think I will go to bed now.”

OK, we are back from a wonderful trip. I made it through the weekend. Did all the kids? Yes they did but you will have to see how close some of them came to not making it.

This all started because DD has had a tough year and a half. If you read the New Year’s TR, you will know that her mom is not doing well health wise. Adding to that was getting into her preferred high school which was a painful odyssey in itself. After the Quinces party, in what I thought would be a pick me up for her, I suggested that we take a few friends to Disney for her 16th birthday. Again, was I stupid nuts?

At 11 months, I made a reservation for a Grand Villa at the Boardwalk. Things then started to fall into place and after many months of anticipation we were ready to hit the World. Bought Florida resident, one-day park hoppers for five of the kids at AAA. $500 plus for those. DD, GF#1 and I had park days left from our summer trip. As we got closer, made a reservation for the van, the vet for my better child (the dog) and sent invite letters to the participants’ parents to outline what we were doing, were we were going to be and how to get in touch with me.

She is much more loyal than her older sister.
IMG_6092.jpg

So, who are the participants you may ask? Here is the Gang minus me.
IMG_6336.jpg

The cast of characters:

Me AKA Dad: In my mind, I am still a kid even though the bones creak a little louder. Single Dad and a Disney fan since watching Uncle Walt every Sunday night as he introduced a new show. Just to let you know, I was extremely young then and they were probably reruns. Lost count of the number of trips I have taken to the World. DVC member since 1996 and it was the best money I ever spent.

DD AKA Princess, Pooh, or Hey You: Has inherited Dad’s love for the mouse. All around good kid (usually), gets good grades and is a bit of a risk taker. She has been looking forward to this trip for a long time.

The Mob AKA The Herd: After riding Safari and listening about elephants (“A matriarchal dominated society that rules their domain”), they were so named.

GF #1 AKA the whiner: DD’s yin to her yang. They actually have matching Mickey ears representing the Tao symbol. This will be the third time she has gone to Disney with us. Their last trip is outlined in the link below my signature.

This is DD’s Mickey ears. 1’s are the opposite, if a part on DD’s is white, hers is black and vice-a-versa. DD brought hers with the intention of taking a picture of the two of them but alas 1 forgot her ears. When she realized that she forgot them she called her mom and asked her to bring them to school. The response was what I would have said, “Are you crazy?”
IMG_0189.jpg

Here they are enjoying watching Bolt during the summer at the BC Solarium. To keep her in line, 1 was threatened replacement on our regular Disney trips with one of the other girls who behave better.
IMG_5598.jpg

GF #2 AKA Moe: 2 is DD’s soccer buddy. Last summer they spent two weeks at a sleep away soccer camp. Always friends but since that experience, they hang out together more. DD, 1 and 2 became the dominant members of the mob/herd.

GF #3 AKA the shutterbug: She was the designated photographer on the trip and took many of the pics that will be posted in the TR. Did a great job. I scared the h*** out of 3 once when I picked up her and DD from school. I was in a hurry to get back to work but 3 needed a ride home and DD volunteered me. Plus they were late at the pick-up area. I was a bit miffed. OK a lot miffed and DD heard it from me while 3 cowered in the back seat. I think it was the talk about baseball bats. She has since seen me in non-miffed mode so the fear factor has diminished. Too bad, it could have been useful on this trip. “Don’t get him mad, he has baseball bats.”

GF #4 AKA Curly: 4 is a good friend to 3 and is part of the pack. I didn’t really know her well before the trip, so we shall see if it works out.

GF #5 AKA the suck up: 5 drives me nuts. Think Eddie Haskell from the Leave it to Beaver show. The old timers out there will know what I am talking about. Again, I was young and they were repeats. I don’t think she does it on purpose it is just that she does. This was the Quinces girl in the first post. In Middle School, I took her and DD on an air boat trip to the Everglades for a science project. While the guide was talking about the ecosystem, she shouts out, “Look at the pretty bird.” As everyone was staring at us, my response was, “Hey, she is not my kid.” If you were betting on the one that is most likely to be left behind at a rest stop, put your money on 5.

GF #6 AKA Larry: 6 was a late entry to our little odyssey. She had a volleyball game over the weekend and wasn’t sure her parents would let her skip it. Of course since it would cost me more money, she was allowed to go. DD and 6 were in the same homeroom in 1st Grade. At the time, I worked just past downtown Miami and the elementary school was way southwest of the house. 6’s mom and I were always the first parents to be at pre-care so we could drop off the kids and speed off to work.

Actually, they are all pretty good kids and overachievers. 1,2,3,4 and 6 went to the same schools and were in the same academic program with DD since the 1st or 2nd Grade. 5 joined them in Middle school. So they are really tight. Their childhood memories are collective ones because they do not really remember not being with each other. Pity the boy that messes with the affections with one of them. He will feel the wrath of the others. I have seen it and it is not pretty.

So that is who joined DD for her birthday. This is a long a post just introducing the cast and more pre stuff. Ending now and will start the next one with the trip up and first day. Read on at your own risk as you travel into the teenager zone. Believe me it is more scary than the Tower of Terror. Promise more pics in future posts.

Up Next: When are we going to get there? AKA I REALLY DO HAVE DUCT TAPE.

I'm hooked and ready for the next installment. I have to admit I would have reneged on the offer that so many girls could go. It just makes me shutter every time I think about the whole trip. :scared1:

I am LOVING it! I love the Eddie Haskell comment - I watched them as reruns too; sometimes I still do on TV Land. Can't wait to read more. :rotfl:

Hilarious!!!:lmao:

Im in!!popcorn::

Yes, it is funny when visiting from afar.

Fantastic! I already know the outcome, but I'm reading along anyway! :thumbsup2

There are some twists coming up.

I'm hooked and ready for the next installment. I have to admit I would have reneged on the offer that so many girls could go. It just makes me shutter every time I think about the whole trip. :scared1:

Come on, you could do it. If I can make it, you can. I used vodka instead of shuttering though.

I am LOVING it! I love the Eddie Haskell comment - I watched them as reruns too; sometimes I still do on TV Land. Can't wait to read more. :rotfl:

Love TV Land. Whenever you see Eddie pandering to Mrs. Cleaver, think of number 5.

Had to go back and catch up with your other TR :surfweb: because this one had me :rotfl2:. Can't wait for the rest of the TR.:woohoo:

Hey cj! You are HILARIOUS. I love how you number and describe each of the girls, especially #5... :rotfl:

Can't wait for the next installment! I'm cracking up at every mention of the DUCT TAPE!! :rotfl:

Had to go back and catch up with your other TR :surfweb: because this one had me :rotfl2:. Can't wait for the rest of the TR.:woohoo:

The drive up will be either later today or tomorrow. Thanks for joining us on our odyssey.

Hey cj! You are HILARIOUS. I love how you number and describe each of the girls, especially #5... :rotfl:

Can't wait for the next installment! I'm cracking up at every mention of the DUCT TAPE!! :rotfl:

DUCT TAPE, DUCT TAPE, DUCT TAPE. Hope I made your day. Actually forgot the duct tape but found something better on the trip (stay tuned). The leash of shame was there from the beginning. 5 was the one that said she was Hispanic and did not know anything about tea.

Is that a Donald medal around your neck for running the half this year? Way to go. Even if the hamstring didn’t get me and we went, running in sleet sure would have. A well deserved Congrats!

I'm here! Very nice update :thumbsup2 Can't wait to hear what's next... popcorn::

Thanks for starting the new Dis Dads thread. A lot of fun over there. Now put your popcorn down and get the extraction beacon fixed.

You are Brave or Crazy or Both.

Crazy. Definitely crazy.

Good Job! Looking forward to more detailspopcorn::

Thanks, much appreciated.

:rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2::rotfl2: Lovin' it! Sounds like 5 may have lead you to the martinis for the weekend! Can't wait to read more!

It has been over six months since our last trip to the World and we needed our Disney fix. Yes, I know we are lucky. Like a general, the invasion plans were well laid out. The biggest was nabbing a Grand Villa at the 11 month window. As other deadlines approached, think dining and the cruise, everything was set and we were ready to go.

When plans are made I also found out they also need to be flexible. And the drive up ended up needing to be just that. Partially my fault, others were an act of divine intervention. Per the plan, I met the kids in the morning at school to pick up their bags. 1 stayed the night with us and another mom dropped off her daughter’s bag the night before. The rest met me at the school drop off point on time and things went well. Looking good. For now.

Got back to the house and I have to admit that while I am a Disney trip planner extraordinaire, my personal packing ability is lacking. While the kid’s laundry was done earlier, mine was started when I got back from school. A big mistake. Plus I had some unexpected work to finish. Finally, I was able to drop the dog off at the vet and I was at the car place at 2:00. In the meantime, laundry is tumbling in the dryer. The car company is the one that will pick you up but I found out that they would not deliver the car and let you take the delivery driver back. So, I had to drive my car to the house and wait for the guy to deliver the van that I could see in the parking lot while I was there. Then he needed to drive me back so they could hand over the keys and say, “Here is your car.”

After all that, I finally got back to the house. Threw the clothes that were in the dryer in my suitcase and transferred the million bags from the car to the rental van. The idea was to pick the kids up at 3:00 but it was after 4:00 before I left the house. Finally picked them up at close to 4:30.

I knew it was going to be tight but not this tight. Wish I would have taken a pic of the back where there bags were. Every time I opened the tailgate, many things would fall out. We also had snacks, drinks and computers in the front of the van making getting in and out difficult.
IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6467.jpg

Loaded them and their school bags and we were off. How we fit everything in, I have no idea. The plan was to take the Turnpike extension and zip up to Orlando. All was good except one thing. I FORGOT THE TICKETS. What an idiot. So we had to go back to the house and had to bypass the Turnpike. After picking up the tickets, we were back on the road, this time the Palmetto. Traffic was heavy and it took forever to get out of Dade County and hook up with the Turnpike. Once we got to West Palm, things again slowed to a crawl. Plus it was raining heavily. To make a long story less long, we finally made it to the Buena Vista Hilton a little before 10:00.

The plan was to go to Riverside and see Yeehaw Bob but I bagged that idea. All I wanted to do was to put up my feet and have a cocktail. Check-in was smooth. They assumed I wanted adjoining rooms. Thought about it for a minute and was about to ask if you could put them in another hotel, but said yes, adjoining rooms would work. All the kids took one room which meant some of them had to sleep on the floor. They loved it. There was some noise but after a couple of times chastising them, they quieted down and went to sleep. I was hyped up from the drive and stayed up later than they did.

I have to say, the Hilton was nice. Especially with the price that I paid. I also asked where I could buy a razor since I forgot mine and they gladly handed one over free of charge. They did charge $10 for self parking which was annoying. Here are a few pics of the resort.

IMG_6098.jpg

IMG_6103.jpg

IMG_6099.jpg

IMG_6100.jpg

IMG_6101.jpg

The bed was real comfy.
IMG_6104.jpg

The flat screen HDTV was really cool. Have to get me one of those.
IMG_6105.jpg

The desk/work area was nice. They charge for internet service unless you are a Hilton rewards customer so that was my excuse not to log on and do some work.
IMG_6107.jpg

Settled down to watch some TV and yell at the kids to keep the noise level down. Finally went to bed. Got up late the next morning, around 6:30. Normally I am up and about at 5:30. Watched the news and checked the weather. Today was going to be iffy, major chance of thunderstorms. Hope it will not ruin the Illuminations’ cruise.

Got the car and drove over to the Boardwalk. Ahh, home again. Charlotte checked me in with no wait and handed me my Welcome Home packet. Had a discussion with her and the CM next to her about the idiotic decision to take my daughter and 6 of her friends alone to WDW. They were sympathetic but thought it was funny. Gee, thanks.

Returned to the Hilton and after a bit, I decided to have breakfast. I went to the main restaurant, sorry, forgot the name. They had a buffet for $20 or you could choose from their menu selections. I opted to order off the menu and had the usual eggs, sausage and home fries. The meal was good but could have been hotter. My server was not very efficient and I had to wait forever for my drink, ordering the meal, food, refill of my drink, the check… It is vacation time so I did not sweat it. Total with tip came to about $19 dollars.

Still too early to wake up the munchkins so I walked around the resort. As an aside when they went to bed last night they asked when they were going to get up in the morning. Some suggested noon. I laughed my evil laugh and told them we needed to be out of the rooms by 11:00. First wake-up call will be at 9:30 and they needed to be ready to go at 10:45. That did not go over well.

Some pics of the hotel. They have an Edy’s Ice Cream place if you have a sweet tooth attack
IMG_6109.jpg

IMG_6110.jpg

This is their general store that is open 24 hours. Good selection of stuff. Not cheap, I would say Disney priced.
IMG_6111.jpg

There was some construction going on where they had part of the lobby walled off
IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

This is their sports bar. Had cocktails in the room so I did not visit it.
IMG_6114.jpg

The Disney store, so close but yet so far from the mouse’s house.
IMG_6115.jpg

So I guess the place I had breakfast was the Covington Hill Restaurant. Prices for the character breakfast seemed reasonable especially when you get champagne and mimosas. Cindy’s place could use the mimosa idea.
IMG_6117.jpg

The only negative I could find was transportation issues. The busses are supposed to leave every 30 minutes but a couple of people I talked to said that was a fallacy.
IMG_6119.jpg

This bus was taunting the people waiting to go to the parks. The driver eventually got in and promptly pulled out without picking anyone up.
IMG_6118.jpg

The view from the room. Nice, but not a Boardwalk view is it.
IMG_6120.jpg

IMG_6121.jpg

That is it for now. Up next, waking up the mob and tea.

They assumed I wanted adjoining rooms. Thought about it for a minute and was about to ask if you could put them in another hotel, but said yes, adjoining rooms would work.

:lmao::rotfl::lmao: OMG.

Reminds me of our family trip of 13 when I first bought DVC. Two sides of a family. I get to SSR and get lovingly chewed out by the CM because why didn't I do Grand Gatherings - how was she going to get all rooms next to each other at this point. How? Huh?

Me with a blank stare and intense fear. OMG - she wants our family to be altogether. OMG - she's on a mission to put our family altogether. OMG. :lmao: Please God help me.

I'm like - oh no that's not necessary AT ALL but thank you so much.

Obviously not getting the hint she works at the computer and with a smile of intense pride says, "I did it!" "Everyone is on the same floor - same building." "Two are connecting!!!!" "Isn't that great?" :lmao:

Yes, that is SO great. Thank you so much. :scared1::rotfl:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter