Disney food prices "Ouch" " I feel faint"

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by hotcarib, Aug 30, 2012.

?

Do you share the quoted sentiment?

1. If food prices rise any higher I'm using the lockers

2. I don't give it a 2nd thought; it's vacation

3. Bothered, but not enough to boycott Disney restaurants

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. hotcarib

hotcarib DIS Veteran

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. rachel09985

rachel09985 DIS Veteran

I don't think Disney food prices are that high at all...with the exception of buffets/all you can eats and Signature restaurants which I don't really go to anyways.

I do NOT think their counter service meals and especially beverage options are priced high. A bottle of water is $2.50, which is not that much more than other places but a lot less than movie theatres and Cedar Point.

However,I dont like that they keep increasing the cost of the dining plan. I won't be able to use that much longer.

4. heartse

heartse Mouseketeer

I wish there was another option. Food prices are crazy EVERYWHERE. We went to the Smithsonian and stopped for lunch while there. DD and I had hotdogs, and my DH had a polish sausage. I think I might have had french fries and a piece of fruit, DD just had the fruit.

The food was BAD, and it wasn't much... and it was still $28. I would much rather pay the $34 we do at Charterhouse and get shrimp, salmon, and fried fish.

5. DebbieB

DebbieB DIS Veteran

The character buffets are ridiculous. $45 for dinner plus tax plus gratuity? We (3 adult women) typically do mostly counter service.

6. JJsmama

JJsmama WDW addict

I've always thought Disney does a pretty good job of keeping their food prices reasonable. Sure, it is more expensive than the local gas station, but no where near the mark up of some other resorts, other theme parks, movie theaters or airports. I guess it really depends on what type of places you are used to.

(Clearly the exception is the characters buffets and dinner shows, but that cost factors in more than just food. I don't think the Signatures are particularly overpriced compared to other fine dining.)

Plus, let's face it: Disney has never claimed to be cheap. Disney HAS TO make a profit from our trips there. They have to make money and put it into improvements, renovations and new additions. If it started looking run down, that's when I would be upset.

7. JJ in wonderland

JJ in wonderland Mouseketeer

I personally find some of disney prices reasonable.
    First compare it to any museum or theme park and they are one of the places with lower prices for instance the Smithsonian has children sized chicken nuggets with french fries for 8 dollars plus 3 dollars for a small drink, or in Vegas a cup of coffee is over 4 dollars.

I may be desensitized due to the high food cost in ny but 10 dollars for a burger or sandwich is normal. I do understand that other parts of the country (or other countries) may not be used to this but compared to the traveling DH and I have done, Disney has done well to keep prices down.

This is just my opinion :)

8. minnie mum

minnie mum Unapologetic Disney Fan(atic)

Have to agree with JJ in Wonderland. Is it more expensive than eating at Denny's or Golden Corral- sure. But it is not as expensive or is in line with most of the resorts that we travel to. And not nearly as expensive as dining in some of the cities we've travelled to around the world. It's simply something that you have to factor into your vacation budget.

9. OrangeCountyCommuter

OrangeCountyCommuter DIS Veteran

None of these really fit. It is not the prices. I don't mind paying for GOOD food, but that is the problem. Prices go up, quality goes down.

So every trip more and more of my meals are offsite

10. RedfromNL

RedfromNL Mouseketeer

We are from the netherlands and we feel that prices are really quite reasonable. Yes some places are a bit much but as a whole prices are comparable to anything I'd pay when I eat out here. A lot is actually a bit cheaper :)
    When I sit down at a terrace here I'd pay 3 dollars for a soda. Here I'd at least get a whole bottle for that!
    Quality isn't bad either compared to some places I've been!

11. taaren

taaren "There is more treasure in books than in all the p

I don't know if I'd call Disney food prices "reasonable", but it is in line with other tourist destinations. Since I live in one of the world's top tourist destinations (locals are often outnumbered by visitors 2:1 on my island), I'm used to paying vacation prices to eat out. There's good quality food to be had in both places, and some not so great quality food ... there's most meals that are priced high (especially if they are heavy on views/atmosphere), and some that I consider bargains (a lot of CS at DLR are meals that can easily be shared by 2 for $10 are delicious!).

When we were younger and poorer we spent a lot less by bringing in food from outside the park, because it was the only way we could afford to do Disney. Now we enjoy some meals in our villa, and some meals in the park and try not to sweat the cost too much (within reason). Because when it comes right down to it, that $4 churro just tastes better than a $1 Costco churro (which we also enjoy on occasion) and is worth every one of the extra 300 pennies. :goodvibes We've even bought a gallon of ice cream to keep in the villa freezer one trip, and only made it through a few scoops, but man did those waffle cones in the parks hit the spot!

12. ladeeesquire

ladeeesquire Mouseketeer

I think the prices of their counter service are about average really. I'm always surprised by how large the portions are. And, I think I might be in the minority, but I actually think the food is tasty. The character meals and signatures are very expensive. You need to find value in the experience or they are completely not worth it. But, we enjoy those too :goodvibes

13. rainynight

rainynight Mouseketeer

They are expensive, and not something I would pay for regularly, but for the occasional Disney vacation then I'm okay with the prices. Now if we lived closer and visited more often (just coming up on our second visit) I would not feel the magic as much and not be willing to pay the high prices for their food.

I actually like that I'm not familiar enough with Disney to where prices are a big deal and I start noticing little annoyances. I like the thought of keeping it magical by having it as an occasional vacation destination. So because of that, I'm okay with their prices since I see it as a special thing and not something that I'm constantly shelling out money for.

14. smiths02

smiths02 DIS Veteran

My son and I did a "staycation" this summer. I posted awhile back about food we got from the Aquarium (Atlanta). The food was okay (maybe somewhere in the middle of counter service from Disney), but it was MORE expensive.

The difference is that we could have walked a few blocks and gotten something cheaper and just as tasty. The other difference is that I wasn't needing to eat three meals out (just the lunch)...so meal by meal, I find Disney prices high, but not unreasonable for a tourist destination. The killer is looking at an amount spent on food in a week!

15. eliza61

eliza61 http://www.wdwinfo.com/dis-sponsor/images

You need an "other" options.

My complaint against disney restaurants is not so much of the prices, it's the quality. Generally when I go on vacation I expect the mark up but I hate paying high prices for food that is "meh" at best and has consistency issues.

I have a few places that we look forward to eating at, I wouldn't say I'm boycotting Disney. I simply vote with my dollars, my family would much rather go offsite have a decent meal or go offsite at a chain and pay 1/3 less. On vacation the one thing I hate is leaving a restaurant and when we go around as ask how every one's food is the basic answer is "eh, it's ok" or "I've had better".

16. holden

holden DIS Veteran

The problem isn't with the prices, it's the quality of the food. There are a few places where you can grab decent food, but most of the food is poor in my opinion. At least they offer some healthy sides with the terrible mac n cheese/chicken nuggets for the kids:(

17. ttintagel

ttintagel DIS Veteran

WDW restaurants aren't significantly more expensive than comparable ones in my hometown. And they have better location.

18. BEASLYBOO

BEASLYBOO I'm back....

I voted bothered but not boycotting but a better answer for us is, " Bothered, eating of-site more & being a bit more choosy about Disney restaurants!

I'm tired of some of the menu's I feel it's time just like in Fantasy Land to renovate and bring in new restaurants. I've enjoyed Via-Napoli as an addition to Epcot , I'm looking forward to BOG in Nov. at MK. I think I mind the prices a bit less when we try something new.

Yes, prices are ridiculous but that's the norm at major theme parks & popular attractions, can't fight city hall so we're a bit choosier about where we eat. We do some Disney restaurants & some off-site!

19. jekajekalynn

jekajekalynn <font color=deeppink>A Barbie girl in a Bratz worl

Ehhh, it depends I think.

Counter service? not THAT expensive, and about on par with chain places like Appleebee's. Sit down "fancier" places? Very much so. However, after going to Niagara Falls Canada and paying almost 40 dollars for 3 "value" meals at a BK, WDW seems down right cheap. :thumbsup2

20. dawnhaze

dawnhaze DIS Veteran

I found the QS prices pretty reasonable, compared to other tourist destinations and cities I've lived in. (Compared to my current small town home, they're a bit high, but still.) However, some of the TS restaurants' prices are very high, in my opinion, for the quality of food served.

21. xxpinksaltxx

xxpinksaltxx Earning My Ears

Compared to the prices we pay here in Australia, we actually find the prices very reasonable. In Aus you'll pay about $3.50 for a bottle of water, a mixed drink (vodka orange) about $8, gourmet individual pizza at a sit down restaurant about $20. Bread service pretty much doesnt exist unless you are at a high end restaurant. Its not uncommon for myself and partner to spend $100 + out for dinner for an appetiser each (usually one will be bread that you have to pay for) and entree each and a few drinks.