Disney Designer Dolls

Good evening all! This is my first post on this forum (and I apologize in advance if it's too wordy), but the Disney Princess Designer Collection has become very interesting to me ever since I saw pictures of the pins about 2 weeks prior to the 2011 D23 Expo. I was excited that Disney was planning something glamorous for the princesses, and the fact that a whole collectible product line was being developed was great (though hard on the wallet).
OMG, there are pins of these designs?! I must have them!! Thank you for this info!!:worship:

OMG, there are pins of these designs?! I must have them!! Thank you for this info!!:worship:

Yeah, there was a Limited Edition set (150 sets total), that were sold at the D23 Expo last month. Needless to say, they sold out super quick, making things hard for all of the reset of us (who were not there) to even imagine being able to getting them. Of course, the pins have made their way to eBay, where the sets have been currently selling for $500 or more (though there are fewer appearing by the day). Sets have been split up, and sellers have been selling individual pins, which for the most part are now hovering in the $50 range each (but Rapunzel's pin consistently sells for a great deal more than that).

Sadly, the mugs are following this competitive price bump up trend. I saw auctions for mugs going for $76 each, which blows my mind away! The mugs retailed for $10.50 each (or 2 for $14 if you bought a pair). Come on, Disney! Please produce more merchandise! There is obviously a demand, and only the secondary sellers are really profiting from the way things are right now!

I would really love to do half of the dolls. I like them all but can't afford to do all 10. EEK! I have Cindy, Ariel and Belle and love all 3 of them, esp Belle! WOW! She is beautiful!! I also want to get Snow White and Rapunzel. I did want Mulan as well but I am trying my best to cut off at the half of them point. :rotfl:

The pins are beautiful too. I have 3 of those (Rapunzel, Snow White and Jasmine). The Snow White is my fave pin. She is just gorgeous!

By the way, have you guys seem the price of the Ariel on ebay? She has been selling for between $250 and $325 since yesterday! :scared1:

I would really love to do half of the dolls. I like them all but can't afford to do all 10. EEK! I have Cindy, Ariel and Belle and love all 3 of them, esp Belle! WOW! She is beautiful!! I also want to get Snow White and Rapunzel. I did want Mulan as well but I am trying my best to cut off at the half of them point. :rotfl:

The pins are beautiful too. I have 3 of those (Rapunzel, Snow White and Jasmine). The Snow White is my fave pin. She is just gorgeous!

By the way, have you guys seem the price of the Ariel on ebay? She has been selling for between $250 and $325 since yesterday! :scared1:

I hate that people do that. Buy something that is so limited to just make a profit. Ariel sold out so fast, and there are plenty of people who wanted one but couldn't get one.
But on a side note, I was shocked how fast she did sell out!!

Well I was going to collect them all, but I missed out on Ariel and I am not going to pay the Ebay prices...that's crazy.

I got my "Cindy" and that is all that matters.

After looking at Ebay...I can't believe what people are charging...well asking someone to pay. It is crazy. I understand making a profit, but 7 times the original price. :(

I got mine today.Quite the line up at the store.

What's with some people wanting the lowest number as possible? This one woman wanted the CM to look at all the doll's numbers and she wanted to lowest. The CM said, "No, sorry, I don't have time to do that right now." Is there something better about having a lower number???

I got the Belle, the notecards and the Rapunzel journal. No more mugs at my store, but several journals.

Congrats on getting her! Do you mind me asking how early you got there before it opened and how long the line was? I'm trying to decide how early I should get there for Rapunzel when she eventually comes out. I got my Ariel doll online, but I'd prefer to get Rapunzel from the actual store so I can have her right away :P Also, has everyone noticed how much faster Belle sold out online than the others? These dolls are getting more popular with every week!

Congrats on getting her! Do you mind me asking how early you got there before it opened and how long the line was? I'm trying to decide how early I should get there for Rapunzel when she eventually comes out. I got my Ariel doll online, but I'd prefer to get Rapunzel from the actual store so I can have her right away :P Also, has everyone noticed how much faster Belle sold out online than the others? These dolls are getting more popular with every week!

I have bought all 3 in store. There are two Disney Stores in the Portland metro area. Both of the Portland stores are selling the dolls

Cinderella I bought the night it came out; I was on the fence about buying them, so I went in store to check them out and of course bought one. They had two left.

Ariel I bought in store; I got in line about 9:50 AM and there were about 3 people in front of me. 1 of them was there to buy the Lion King Vinylmations.

Belle I bought in store and I was in line at 9:45. There were about 5 people in front of me and some were there at 9:00. the Disney Store CMs had given those people in line at 9:00 cards to mark their place in line so they could go to Starbucks or whatever to get a coffee. At 9:55 the Disney Store CM came out and said those with a card may follow me to the cash wrap. Those without a card may follow in behind them and go to the 2nd cash wrap to wait your turn.

I think my store had 16, so it was easy getting one.

But still- the lady who was at the front of the line both times is the one who was wanting the lowest possible number. Last week the CM acquiesced and looked for her; this week she said, "You will have to wait til I help everyone else, and then we can look but you risk not getting one at all."

Again, I don't get it- why does the # matter? Even if selling it on ebay, why would a lower number be better?? And my store had the gamut of #- mine was 7XXX and my mom's was 3XXX. So it's not like they are in order or anything. :confused3

Also, I can buy in store in the AM next Monday, but after that I am working usually from 8-1 on weekdays. So I guess I will either order online or see if my mom can buy me one if she is going. Cause I prefer to have them in my greedy little hand, and yes, esp Rapunzel when she comes out!

I have bought all 3 in store. There are two Disney Stores in the Portland metro area.

Cinderella I bought the night it came out; I was on the fence about buying them, so I went in store to check them out and of course bought one. They had two left.

Ariel I bought in store; I got in line about 9:50 AM and there were about 3 people in front of me. 1 of them was there to buy the Lion King Vinylmations.

Belle I bought in store and I was in line at 9:45. There were about 5 people in front of me and some were there at 9:00. the Disney Store CMs had given those people in line at 9:00 cards to mark their place in line so they could go to Starbucks or whatever to get a coffee. At 9:55 the Disney Store CM came out and said those with a card may follow me to the cash wrap. Those without a card may follow in behind them and go to the 2nd cash wrap to wait your turn.

I think my store had 16, so it was easy getting one.

But still- the lady who was at the front of the line both times is the one who was wanting the lowest possible number. Last week the CM acquiesced and looked for her; this week she said, "You will have to wait til I help everyone else, and then we can look but you risk not getting one at all."

Again, I don't get it- why does the # matter? Even if selling it on ebay, why would a lower number be better?? And my store had the gamut of #- mine was 7XXX and my mom's was 3XXX. So it's not like they are in order or anything. :confused3

Thank you so much! Yeah I don't see why the number would matter.. Have fun collecting the rest of them :D I wonder which doll will be released next!

Thank you so much! Yeah I don't see why the number would matter.. Have fun collecting the rest of them :D I wonder which doll will be released next!

From rumors I have read, it's all but confirmed it's Mulan. This is one of my faves, my daughter's too! Mulan kicks booty!

Is there a limit at the store of how many you can buy? as I see online it is a limit of 2

The Mulan Doll is indeed very lovely, though I was hoping that Snow White would be released next. Certainly with the quick sales of the dolls now (Belle seems to have sold out online in less than 48 hours), this will most likely create a higher sense of anxiety for fans of the remaining princess dolls that have yet to be released. I know that I am a bit more worried about being able to collect the rest, especially since the edition sizes for each doll could supposedly shrink from here on out.

I believe wholeheartedly that online sales forums like eBay are both a blessing and a curse, since it does allow people to obtain items that would otherwise be unobtainable (like the Princess Designer Collection pins), but it also promotes greed from people who take advantage of the limited nature of some items (like the pins or the designer dolls). Ariel is now being posted for as much as $400 on eBay, which seems very uncalled for. Sure, people have the option to just not buy it at such a price, but it sets a very ugly tone. These people are little more than a pack of bloody vultures in my opinion.

I also don't really understand the lady who wanted the lower numbered dolls from the edition. Unless you actually got #0001 or #8000, I can hardly see how the number would really affect the item's value or desirability for most people. I could also see that if someone had a favorite number (like #3333, a birth year, or something like that), maybe that would be meaningful on a personal level, but otherwise... I don't get it either.

That is how I was with Ariel, I wanted her from the store so I could have her right away!! LOL
Are you serious? Belle is already sold out online!? WOW. I noticed that the cute little clutch handbag was sold out so I was happy that I got mine. And that is one of the items that is much prettier in person. I thought it looked okay online, but at the store I was in love with it.

Is there a limit at the store of how many you can buy? as I see online it is a limit of 2

From what I understood, its the same at the stores as it is online. Two per guest.

Retail stores are supposed to also limit each guest to 2 dolls per person per day. That's not to say that if "person A" brought a friend, "person B", they could potentially buy 4 dolls collectively, making the store sell out a lot faster.

I got to the mall early on Monday only to be greeted by a huge line. Apparently the store passed out reservation cards for the dolls RIGHT before I got there. The guy in front of me said he got the last one. I am just hoping no one in front of me bought multiples just so they could sell them later on. I suspect the line was particularly long because, firstly, Belle is more popular, and secondly, because many people had the day off.

Only a mild bummer as the website has free shipping for the holiday.

What time do you all think I should try to get there this coming Monday? Thanks! :flower3:

It was interesting because yesterday we got more Belle dolls in the store, in a drop shipment, as did many other stores. The stores did not know they were getting them. I think about a dozen more per store, not sure exactly. People were going nuts because they were sold out online. Some guests drove a few hours to get to our store to pick them up.

We also got more Cinderellas in late last week. Of course, all the dolls are gone now, Cindy and Belle.

We have a few mugs left. Tiana and Mulan only, I think.

I am surprised of the interest in this line myself. I have been trying to warn the management of the high interest in the Rapunzel doll in particular. I hope they come up with the fairest way to sell them. Any suggestions from the guests here that buy these dolls? (not that I am able to set policy or anything :laughing:, but I can pass it along.)

Disney's approach to this collection is very bizzare to me. I really think the root problem is that they did not think that the response to it would be as popular as it has become. For example, the original plan with the dolls seemed to be that they would send a dozen or so dolls to each of the retail locations and sell the rest online, but I think when the stores were selling out so quickly that they changed gears and are trying to patch things up by sending more dolls to the retail stores. Guest satisfaction is a big thing with Disney as a general rule, and I don't think that they (on the corporate level) like the idea that they could lose a sale because of inadequate stock.

That being said, they have managed the other merchandise for this collection terribly, in my opinion. The mugs sold out very quickly with no new stock seemingly on the way. They've released 3 scarves and 3 shirts, featuring 3 princesses only (with 2 background appearances of Aurora and Cinderella on the Belle T-Shirt). The Snow White Compact Mirror never seemed to materialize outside of the D23 Expo. And I think that the journals have had a longer presence on the shelves, due to the $19.50 price tag more than the desire to own them. The clutch purse has also sold out. At the 2 local Disney stores near me (San Francisco & Colma), the area devoted to this collection looks very bare and sad.

To make matters worse, the cast members at the retail stores are left completely in the dark as to what will happen until something actually does happen, which puts them into a bind when having to deal with questioning or upset customers. I know that poor communication between corporate planning and the point-of-sale level is (and has always been) typically less than ideal, but with modern communication technology, I just think that there must be a better way to keep everyone in the loop.

Any suggestions from the guests here that buy these dolls? (not that I am able to set policy or anything :laughing:, but I can pass it along.)

If your store is in a position to do so, I think the limit of two to a customer is fair. I hope they don't impose a one-per-customer limit because next week I will be buying one for myself and one for friend (who actually works at Disney World but is unable to get out of work to make the purchase).

At one of the local stores they passed out reservation cards for dolls to those who were lining up before the opening of the store. I like this idea so I don't get paranoid that someone will cut line.

Hey everyone! I managed to get the Belle and Cinderella dolls, but missed out on the Ariel (which happens to be my favorite of the series :().

If anyone has an extra Ariel and missed out on the Belle or Cinderella I would love to do a "doll trade". I would be forever grateful. :)

I would also be interested in purchasing if the price is fair.

Send me a message if you're interested...thanks everyone!

As a CM who does not buy these dolls, I was just wondering about the overall fairest way to handle the dolls going forward.

People come to the store before it opens and line up outside, but others just call the store at 10 am and the store will hold them until closing. I was just thinking that eventually there might be a line large enough outside the store for all the dolls, however. In this case, is it fair to hold any for phone call guests? In this case, handing out cards to the line outside seems the fairest and safest. Otherwise guests might run in, charge to the cash wrap and it seems like that could be a bad idea to me. And when we open, there is not really a line. And I am in an IP store, where they hold the opening ceremony for a child to turn the key each morning. I can see the doll guests being inpatient for this, unless they held a card that guaranteed them a doll.

Good luck everyone!

oh, yes, the only allow guests to buy 2.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter