Disney Cruise with a wheelchair bound 6yr old

Jaesc0515

Earning My Ears
we are going on a disney cruise in Nov and would love anyone's tips if they've done it. My daughter is wheelchair bound and non-verbal. She is happy and easy to take care of and loves being around kids. Any luck on getting her into the kids club for an hour or two so Dh and I could grab a quiet dinner?

Welcome to disABILITIES! :welcome:

You can certainly take her to the Club/Lab during Open House times (approx. 1 hr in each space each day). But you need to stay with her during those times. Whether or not she could go alone for an hour or so depends on how independently she can function in a group setting. Does she need 1:1 supervision? She's in a wheelchair but can she move around herself or does she need to be pushed? She's non-verbal but can she manage any communication with others either with or without a communication device? If those answers are no, then unfortunately she will not be able to attend secured programming in the Club/Lab. If she's borderline on any of those things, maybe her teachers and/or therapists can help her work towards a little more independence.

Other tips -- make sure you get an accessible stateroom. A small pediatric wheelchair likely could fit into a regular stateroom, but you'd never get it past the bed. I do believe she can have a terrific time -- whether or not she is able to attend the Club.

Enjoy your cruise!

I know she'll have a great time, she LOVES Mickey the quiet dinner isn't nessesary the cruise is for them but it would be nice, Palo sounds delicious lol

You might ask at guest services if there is private baby sitting available so someone could come to your cabin and hang out while you go to Palo. This issue had to have come up before.

You can ask at Guest Services, but to my knowledge there is no in-room babysitting service available on DCL cruises. It has been asked on the DCL forum previously.

Some people make friends with others on their cruise meet thread. Then once onboard after they meet in person they feel comfortable enough allowing the other family to babysit. That is entirely up to your comfort level, though. I don't know if I would feel that comfortable leaving a special needs child in the care of another family I just met; it might depends on the level of need, the time of day and activity planned during babysitting.

Enjoy your cruise!

Yeah have a stranger no matter how nice does not sound appealing at all. Nor Do I think it would ever cross my mind. Even if she can't go into the children's area there is so much for her todo. As long as we see Mickey and Minnie our trip will be a success. She loved them at the parks! Thank you for your responses

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter