Disney Cruise Line Insomnia! Questions about room service, sleeping, etc

Have you tried natural ways to help with sleeping? Increased exercise, increased water consumption, no alcohol, minimize caffeine... This always works for me :)

Exactly this! Pills aren't always the answer.

I exercise about two hours a day, drink 8-10 glasses of water a day, have had one drink in the last month and have a caffeinated soda once every few days......so I don't think any of those ideas are going to help, haha. I hadn't thought about the rocking motion of the ship. I may just take benadryl with me and hope for the best.

Ouch, okay not good. I apparently said to my future brother in law (while asleep) when I came downstairs and they were talking about getting engaged: "I have a used dirty catheter kit and medical restraints... Don't mess with her." And then promptly went back to bed. And I said something worse to my sister. Yeah... That's why when people are like "I want sleeping pills!" I have to tell them to hold up. Benadryl does weird things to me, turns me violent. So try to go pill-less on your and before your cruise. I know my mom took a dramamine and it knocked her on her tushy for a day.

On our Panama Canal cruise I think between my friends and I (we all work NOCs) I believe we're bringing ambien, amitriplyne (mine), melatonin, and Advil PM with sleepy turtle. We have really hard times sleeping.

What's sleepy turtle?

I have a fear of flying which used to cause anxiety for weeks before my flight. My dr. prescribed Ambien to me so that I could sleep and at least function at work. The first night I took it, I had hallucinations--I guess I told my DH that there were three guys in the room and I kept asking them their names and why they were in our bedroom. My DH said that I was super calm while I was talking, but then I passed out completely and didn't wake up til morning. I was super groggy the next morning and I didn't remember a thing.

I've had success with melatonin and managing my sleep and anxiety in natural ways such as exercise, not looking at any electronics (iPhone, computer, tv, etc) an hour before bed, and reading a boring book.

I agree with other posters that if you are prescribed something, to try it ahead of time so you know that you won't have any weird reactions.

When taking ambien, you are supposed to take it and then get it bed. You are not supposed to try and do stuff like clean up or send emails. I tell my patients to get ready for bed, take it, then just read in bed. Also, fwiw I think lunesta is a better med.

I myself use tart cherry juice (fantastic antioxidant with naturally occurring melatonin and also anti-inflammatory pain relief) or Rescue Sleep. Both are natural and work well for me, but if you have chronic or severe insomnia they probably won't touch it. I have ambien as well but have probably used it twice in 12 months.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!