Disney Cruise line book available

I just finished reading the 2006 edition. It's not bad. It was somewhat helpful although it is a pretty slim book. I am a research junkie though and I will read anything available. :rotfl2: I am waiting for the 2006 edition of the DCL Passporter to come out at the end of this month. From what I have heard, it is the best book out there for the DCL. I used their WDW book last year and loved the pockets although I found the information to be dated and the info on Tour Guide Mike was much better. However, there is no such service for DCL and DCL changes less often than WDW so I am hoping the Passporter will be the valuable resource that I am looking for! ;)

I have read both and the Passporter had soooo much more information and it much better!

Another vote for Passporter. We have the WDW Deluxe and every time I just take the pages I need for that trip (and the pull out maps which RULE). The deluxe is a 3 ring binder (kinda like a big daytimer). You can then just buy the refill pages for the DCL book - which is what I have on order. I am pretty sure you can buy the deluxe edition for the cruise, and then if you decide to go to WDW you can just buy the inserts. The passpockets at the back are great for keeping confirmations, receipts etc etc.

If you google 'passporter' you will be taken to their comprehensive site.

I just bought it the other day. I also have the Passporter. The Passporter is definitely superior, but I enjoy reading anything DCL! If I had to chose one though, I would chose the Passporter.

Agreed. Passporter is better. The Birnbaums doesn't even bother to put deck plans in their book (a major failing, in my opinion).

I have 2 years of Passporter ordering the new one this month, also have the Birnbaums, don't bother ordering it, don't even walk across the street to pick one up, it is not good. Passporter and these board are the best source of info that I have been able to find. If it is not in the Passporter you can find the answer here on the Disboard.

I agree Birmbaum's is scant on DCL, but I absolutely LOVE Birmbaum's annual WDW guide!

Favorite Auntie said:
I just bought it the other day. I also have the Passporter. The Passporter is definitely superior, but I enjoy reading anything DCL! If I had to chose one though, I would chose the Passporter.

I love reading DCL also. I made a special trip to AAA to get their DCL brochure this morning just to make sure I have it all! :rotfl:

I just bought the Birnbaum's book a few days ago. I have yet to find anything in the book that is not already in ther free DCL information put out by Disney. I am taking it back. A complete waste of money. I wonder how they get away with selling it.

I have Birnbaum's and Passporter 2005 and use them both for different things.

Passporter has useful information by the boatload. :rotfl2: There are also photos of real people enjoying the cruise. I used it for actual planning and getting ready for the trip.

Birnbaum's is glossier and is mostly color photos, character clipart and the usual PR information. I use it for quick inspiration.

I've only been on the cruise once but I didn't take either book with me. I was too busy having fun to read.

You can also order the new PassPorter on amazon.com and many book stores carry them also. I had about 40 minuites to kill Friday before meeting my sister for dinner, so I just walked into Barnes & Nobel and flipped through the current edition while I waited. And I only felt SLIGHTLY guilty for using the book store as a library.

My family are hugh Birmbuam fans. We always get a new Birmbuam when we go to Disney World. And I did get the Cruise Line book as well. But I have to agree with the other posts, the Passporter has much more detailed information. I would recommend getting the Passporter. If you can get the new edition in time for your cruise that would be your best bet. I have the 2005 edition. It is excellent, but I know there have been many changes. I'm just not sure I'd get the 2006 in time for our cruise in April.

LuvEeyore said:
The best thing about Birnbaums is the pictures. Otherwise, Passporter it is.

I also have both the Passporter and Birnbaums. I agree with you. The pictures in Birnbaums are much better. They are in color, where as Passporter's are all black and white. My DD loved looking through the Birnbaum's. She bored quickly with the Passporter. However, if your goal is to collect information, Passport is much better. Still, the most superior source of information for me has been this board and a couple web sites I have found.

Just paid $14.95 for a Birnbaum's Disney Cruise Line guide -- actually, twice that plus shipping, one for us, one for my sister. What a disappointment! By all means, go with Passporter. AND, it was cheaper on Amazon.com, had free shipping (we got the deluxe) and if we hadn't had free shipping, that was still $6 cheaper!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter