Disney cruise for adults?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by disbridebailey, Jan 23, 2013.

1. disbridebailey

disbridebailey Earning My Ears

My hubs and I are celebrating our one year anniversary since the big Disney Fairytale wedding! Cannot believe that! We would like to do the Disney cruise, of course but are worried it will be mostly youngsters! Input please!

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

OK, personal opinion--I wish that DCL did a better job of keeping kids out of adult areas. However...there are "adult only" areas on all ships. They are strictly enforced in the adult only restaurants, seriously/basically enforced in the nightclub areas at night, and minimally enforced on the pool decks where the areas serve largely as a walk thru for children and families. The CMs do remove children from the adult only pool when it is reported to them.

So that said, if your goal is to never see a kid, DCL is not for you. If your approach is an "isn't he cute" and move on to adult areas/activities you'll be fine. My one tip would be to avoid any cruise with a "Kids Sail Free" special. Those can be wicked!

Probably 95% or more of the kids on the ship are well behaved and no problem at all. As with most things in life, the issues come from that small percentage of kids who were never taught appropriate behavior and/or parents who do not appreciate that THEY are still responsible for their child's behavior and parenting doesn't stop just because they are on vacation.

4. cruisindisney2007

cruisindisney2007 Earning My Ears

We are cruising Fantasy in April; no kids with us this time. Cannot wait.

5. Jareds_mommy

Jareds_mommy DIS Veteran

there is lots to do for adult only, our kids basicly bailed on us and wanted to stay at the clubs, we made do :lmao:
    this time one is old enough for the edge so i am guessing if I can make myself give him the freedom we will see even less of them.

6. gumbypee

gumbypee DIS Veteran

You will always see kids in any cruise- it's rather easy to avoid them by doing adult activities. I went as a single adult, loves disney, and had an awesome time

7. abdgeek

abdgeek DIS Veteran

I'm an adult who loves Disney and travels solo. I've done four DCL cruises thus far and am doing two more this year. I never worry about there being kids on the ship. Yes, they are there but they are usually with their parents or in the kids club. Most of the activities I do on the ship, except going to the movies and posing with characters, really don't have many if any kids at them(tastings, cooking demos, etc.). As adults, you will be seated at dinner with other adults. Enjoy DCL and don't worry about the kids. You actually won't see a lot of them(except at the pool deck and dinner).

8. gumbypee

gumbypee DIS Veteran

Abdgeek, we are both single adult disney lovers! Woohoo

9. Meghatron

Meghatron DIS Veteran

We did seven nights without kids on the Wonder for our honeymoon and loved every minute of it. Dining manager seated us with two other childless couples, we booked a room at the same end of the ship as the spa/adult pool/bars, etc, so we never had to wait too long for an elevator to what we wanted. It was fantastic. :D

10. MagicFan75

MagicFan75 Mouseketeer

Hi! We celebrated our honeymoon and our three-year anniversary by sailing with Disney. Since then, we've had a couple of kids and have continued to sail on Disney. Now, in addition to great family fun time, we still get to enjoy our adult time when the kids are otherwise occupied in the kids clubs by going to Palo, the spa, the adult pool and hot tubs, etc.

Have fun!!

11. kalc12345

kalc12345 DIS Veteran

We are going without our kids in about a month. We will be celebrating our anniversary. We are looking forward to doing the adult things on the ship. Our kids don't do the clubs so we have not been able to experience that part.

12. riofriotex

riofriotex Earning My Ears

It sounds like you are a big Disney fan, so I think you will be fine. We just got off the Magic January 4 cruise. My husband in particular felt there wasn't as much for adults to do on the cruise as on other cruise lines. We also found the dining rooms to be extremely noisy, even with second seating. But, we cruise mostly for the ports (the reason I picked this Disney cruise - supposed to be 4 ports, 2 that we hadn't been to before, although we missed one), and spend a lot of time on our verandah anyway, so we were OK. I'd do a Disney cruise again if it was going where I wanted to go, departing from where I prefer (Galveston or Houston) and when I can go (I am limited mostly to early January).

13. allears

allears "If I were not upon the sea..." I'd want to be!

I have cruised a few times without my kids and going again next month. I am a huge Disney fan, love the cruise product and have always had a fantastic time!

14. ChloroFiend

ChloroFiend DIS Veteran

DW & I (both late 20s/early 30s) are DINKs and sailed on the inaugural cruise out of Galveston. We had no issues doing our own adult thing; we never felt out enjoyment of the cruise was impacted by any random kids we encountered. By and large, those we did see were well behaved.

We did do some "all ages" activities (namely trivia stuff), but expected to see munchkins about there. No issues with children in the adult pool or the various clubs/bars/lounges. Our table in the MDR (late dining) was populated by 2 other adult couples travelling without kids as well as a mother and her adult daughter. We had a great time with them each night.

15. clten

clten DIS Veteran

30 DCL cruises and have never sailed with kids.

I think with having such good kids programming, most of the kids are involved in that so there's never too many around. (I will agree that the pool decks are poorly designed and you can have a constant parade of kids/families with kids through there. And some cruises are worse than others with kids being in the adult only area.)

I do think there are a lot of activities for adults to participate in (although after 30 cruises some variety would be nice). For Disney fans of any age, the stage shows and game shows are a lot of fun. You also have nightclubs/caberet performers, bingo, cooking classes, various tastings and other activities to be as busy or relaxed as you want.

DCL also does a good job of matching you up with tablemates. If you are traveling without kids, they do try to put you at a table without kids. We've made a lot of friends that we are still in contact with just because DCL sat us at the same table. It's fun to do things together or just run into each other around the ship.

So I say, go for it and experience a Disney cruise. (But as someone said, do try to avoid the Kids Sail Free dates!)

16. Yvet

Yvet <marquee behavior=alternate><font color=blue>♫ Sh

I have never done any other cruise the with DCL and i don't feel DCL is loaded with kids but i can't compare....

From what i have heard from people that did DCL and other cruises is that DCL has more kids onboard the at other cruise lines BUT because DCL has such great kids clubs it geels like there are less kids onboard because you see rarely children onboard...

17. Lisa Lisa

Lisa Lisa DIS Veteran

18. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

We're retired folks and really enjoy Disney cruises. There are great venues where children aren't allowed (and we've seen that enforced). Disney also provides special areas just for children. That results in everybody having their own comfort space.

A cruise is a great place to celebrate an anniversary. Plan on doing an adult dining restaurant like Palo or Remy (Remy is only available on the Fantasy and Dream) for a special celebration.

19. IrenicMom

IrenicMom DIS Veteran

Not a whole lot to add to the already great responses, but did want to add that it seems like there are more kids on the shorter sailings than on the 7 night sailings. So, in addition to the longer sailings being immensely more relaxing, I think they're also less kid-magnets, especially during the school year when families don't usually pull their kids out of school for so long.

20. wendyoconnor

wendyoconnor DIS Veteran

We love DCL and have taken 3 without kids. The adults areas are great especially Satellite Falls on the Fantasy. Every time I am surprised by the number of kids on board because they have their own areas. Time of year and length of cruise will impact the number of kids, we cruise when school is in session.

We have as much fun getting our picture taken with Mickey and Belle that the kids do.

My favorite reason for cruising Disney is that it has a family feel.

21. Luv2Diz

Luv2Diz We love the Wonder and Magic of Disney cruising!

We've done two DCL adults only 7 night cruises and can't wait to book our next one!

There is plenty for adults to do. And as already noted, the kids are generally kept occupied in the kid's clubs, so they don't seem overabundant!

Disney did an amazing job both times with matching our tablemates. Both times we had adults my age traveling with adult children similar in age to mine!