1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Disney Cruise Discontinuing Military Rates?

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by DISFAN LA, Jul 17, 2013.

1. bryresangel

bryresangel Earning My Ears

We were able to get a military discount for a 5 day Bahamas cruise in June! I started watching the year before to see if there were going to be discounts for the time we were looking to go (when school was out). No guarantee for the next year, but it worked for us. It WAS pretty nerve wracking to wait until about 2 months out with no guarantee that there would be a military discount, but it was worth it.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. cheesehead3

cheesehead3 Mouseketeer

It was on the Dec 21 cruise last year out of Galveston, but I was able to book 2 rooms with the military rate, I don't know if that was before the change in the policy.
    HTH

Charles

4. apathetic

apathetic Earning My Ears

And I think it's very unfair to criticize DCL for not offering military discounts, if that is true. Disney is one of the best companies for military discounts. We've been to WDW and Disneyland with free park tickets along with exceptionally low family ticket prices. Further, they have offered up to 40% on rooms in the best hotels for many years. Since the vast majority of people who enjoy Disney do so at the parks, the discounts are in the right places.

Cruises are a different ball game. You are talking all-inclusive vacation (minus port excursions) and there is a smaller room for discounts. I don't have a problem when a company doesn't offer military discounts. Rather I'm thankful when some companies do. Disney is one of the best. You can easily save hundreds on a 5 day vacation to WDW. Take the park discounts and if you like the Disney brand, then spend a few extra to experience the cruise. There will be a day (again) when nobody offers military discounts.

5. PrincessShmoo

PrincessShmoo DIS Veteran

AFAIK, the military discount is only applicable to one room (booked by either military member OR spouse). Only exception I've heard of was when the immediate family (mom, dad, kids) is more than one room can handle, then they can book two rooms. But that's not a case of the military member booking one room and the spouse booking another (although they would have to be booked separately in the rooms).

6. houseofduck

houseofduck Mouseketeer

We have been able to book two rooms since the rule change. But, we fall into the "can't fit on one room" category. I was told that even though we need two rooms, only parents and children could be booked in those rooms. You can't book a grandparent, friend, relative, or anyone else in the rooms.