Disney Channel #2 on cable

"Starting today, Disney's animated "Kim Possible" will air daily at 5 p.m., "Even Stevens" will air daily at 6:30 p.m. and ABC's Saturday morning cartoon "Recess" will join Disney's lineup at 4:30 p.m. daily."

Sounds like the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire syndrome" to me. Have a popular show, air it way too many times to make a quick profit (how exactly *is* the Disney channel financed anyway?), and then end up with an audience that's sick and tired of the show and the channel doesn't have any decent replacement.

Anyway, it's good to hear that their ratings are good, although I miss the old Vault Disney programming and don't usually watch any of the stuff they have on now.

I agree about Vault disney, I'm not sure who is watching even stevens, et al in the middle of the night. They have been running those shows over and over so far. I would like to see some new original programming as well as some overnight vault. I would love so much to have ink and paint club back, even if on toon disney.

Vault Disney was the only reason I used to watch the Disney channel. I haven't watched the channel once since it was taken off the air.

Believe it or not, Disney Channel's overnight ratings are higher now than when Vault Disney was on.

I miss Vault Disney too, but now I can just watch Hallmark Channel on Friday nights and wait for the DVD releases of my favorite stuff.

yeah, Hallmark has been doing a nice job showing good old movies. I watched in search of the castaways on there, it was the first time I had seen it, and I've enoyed watching several Herbies, witch mt. etc. on there. I'm glad that it is on, but I haven't noticed animated shorts or disneyland tv episodes on there - I wondered when you said Friday night if they were showing old disneyland shows on there. Anyway, I guess disney channel is doing something right even if it doesn't make sense to me. Again, I wish ink and paint club could find some home somewhere, even if it was toon disney 4 am on every third tuesday.

Thank goodness for the Hallmark Channel!!
If Disney Channel weren't "included" with our satellite package, I wouldn't spend a dime on it.
Too bad--it used to be a great channel to watch the old Disney shows, movies, and "original" Disney Channel productions.
Haven't watched a thing (well--I did watch the movie Hocus Pocus last year) on Disney Channel since Vault Disney. And that was the only thing I watched on Disney Channel in last 2-3 years.

Originally posted by wdwguide
"Starting today, Disney's animated "Kim Possible" will air daily at 5 p.m., "Even Stevens" will air daily at 6:30 p.m. and ABC's Saturday morning cartoon "Recess" will join Disney's lineup at 4:30 p.m. daily."

Sounds like the "Who Wants to be a Millionaire syndrome" to me. Have a popular show, air it way too many times to make a quick profit (how exactly *is* the Disney channel financed anyway?), and then end up with an audience that's sick and tired of the show and the channel doesn't have any decent replacement.

But that's been the programming model at THe Disney Channel for several years. There target audience has no adults in it.

Since TDC has been added as part of basic or basic plus services in most cable markets, they get a fee from the cable company for each household. That and "synergey" are probably the fundung models.

OK, I admit it, I am strange. I like Kim Possible. I don't watch anything else on TDC. I miss Vault Disney as well. I get Toon Disney, and 2 disney channels with Direct Tv.

:bounce:

Im simply not hearing the request for these channels anymore.

I currently work for DirecTV as a phone rep ( Entertainment Consultant) and when im signing up new customers i'm always fishing for info so i can give correct info, and anytime i hear kids i tell the parents were the kids programs are ( 290-299) and i always mention disney east-west and toon disney, 9 outof 10 times they say "so, wheres the nickelodian?".... the disney pull just isnt out there anymore except for the movies...

have dierectv questions, im all ears..=D

vk

Considering how popular Playhouse Disney is at MGM and the fact that I dropped cable and picked up Dish Network solely because DN had Disney East and West and our cable network made me pay through the nose for Disney East alone which went offline all the time there is something to it. My daughter loves the Disney channel from Out of the Box to Sister, Sister...it's really all she watches and has watched since she was little.

Originally posted by VintageKnight

have dierectv questions, im all ears..=D

vk

OK - you mean it?

So when are they going to get local channels in Lansing, MI - it said "soon" forever then "2003", so when is it coming?

Disney E and W and Toon is the biggest part of why we got dtv, fwiw.

DR

Yes lansing is on the list my friend, actually one of about 20 more markets to be launched this yr, nov and dec are going to be busy months for me and my fellow reps....as is right now. DirecTV is in football mode, ( exclusive provider of NFL SUNDAY TICKET) nfl gave us some new rules to deal with this yr, and as always things stop from aug 1 thru mid to late oct due to this. they've stopped bringing local markets during this time period due to expected high call volume, which it has been mondays and tuesdays since labor day, its been hell, 15-20 minute waits to talk to us, because your fellow customers dont think were there on weekends, which were always there, 24-7 365... sunday i got to watch all the football games simply due to no one calling about anything, we were usually 5-8 minutes between calls, and today people wake up to the fact they need to pay bills and we were at 5-7 minutes in que all day, and yes in directv-land, in que means waitin just like in other lands.

but yes locals are coming. before jan 1.

vk

In Entertainment Weekly,Sponge Bob was listed 7 or more times a day as the number 1 show for kids in every time shot while Disney was not even listed.My guess is Disney just makes up want they want to hear for I bet Disney is 3rd or 4th after Turners Cartoon Network or the Boomerang Channel while Nickelodeon remains number 1 .Did you notice the quality program Miss Spider on Nick Jr. given to the kids free while Disney has nothing of interest after Eisner decided to give his audience nothing..Instead of making his Disney Channel creative and interesting it is dull and repetive!! Why he would buy and destroy even the Fox Family Channel is a mystery to me when he cannot even run one channel!!

In Entertainment Weekly,Sponge Bob was listed 7 or more times a day as the number 1 show for kids in every time shot while Disney was not even listed.My guess is Disney just makes up want they want to hear for I bet Disney is 3rd or 4th after Turners Cartoon Network or the Boomerang Channel while Nickelodeon remains number 1

As has been noted on this very thread, the Disney channel is not a commercial based network, and is not included in the ratings listings, such as the one you read in Entertainment Weekly. The purpose of those ratings listing is to set the price for commercials. Disney channel does not have commercials. They are not included on the list. So, Disney is not listed, just as HBO is not listed. This is why you do not see Saparnos or Sex in the City on the list in Entertainment Weekly. However, as noted in the article that is linked in this very thread, the ratings of the Disney channel are the #2 on Cable, second only to TNT. So no, Disney is not third to Cartoon Network, Boomerang, or Nickolodean.

Note that the article states that the Disney Channel is rated second during primetime which is when Nickelodeon switches to its Nick at Nite format. Either way, I think that this is surprising and definitely good news for Disney.

***"Believe it or not, Disney Channel's overnight ratings are higher now than when Vault Disney was on."***

Remember the thread that followed the announcement ending VD (boy, that just sounds wrong), how ME was vilified for doing such a terrible thing ?

Note that the article states that the Disney Channel is rated second during primetime which is when Nickelodeon switches to its Nick at Nite format. Either way, I think that this is surprising and definitely good news for Disney.

TNT is no. 1 in primetime, not Nick at Nite. Nick is #4 in primetime.

Remember the thread that followed the announcement ending VD (boy, that just sounds wrong), how ME was vilified for doing such a terrible thing ?

I remember that very well. Funny thing is, ME had nothing to do with that decision as far as I can tell. From all that I've read, ME seems very hands-off in the operations of the ABC Cable Networks Group.

Originally posted by meowthew2
TNT is no. 1 in primetime, not Nick at Nite. Nick is #4 in primetime.
This is true. I was responding in an unclear fashion to the poster who thought that Spongebob pushed Nickelodeon to a higher rating. The show probably does but only when it's on during the daytime.

Thanks for correcting what I said about Nick,I did not realize there were other factors. I have never forgiven the Disney Channel for getting rid of the shows I use to like!! :wave:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter