1. Follow the DIS on Instagram! www.instagram.com/the.dis

Disney Books

Discussion in 'The DIS Unplugged Podcast' started by javamoma, Apr 27, 2012.

1. javamoma

javamoma <font color=deeppink>Diz Kid for Life<br><font col

I am looking for a few good disney books (biographys, imagineering, the parks, we are open to all topics) to read before our upcoming trip. I know they have talked about a several on the podcast over the years but nothing is coming to mind other than Lee Cockrell's book which I have alread read (and it was wonderful!). I wish there was a database in which I would search podcast archives for certain topics.

Any suggestions? I am also looking for childrens books as well for both kiddos.

Here are two of our favs we have already read:

Walt Disney: The Triumph of the American Imagination

DD loves History Makers Bio: Walt Disney (this series of biographys is found at Barnes and Noble and are excellent!)

What do you and/or your kids like to read before a trip (besides watching all the movies and reading the disney story books.)

TIA! :thumbsup2

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. WaltD4Me

WaltD4Me <font color=royalblue>PS...I tried asking for wate

I have read several Disney biographies, my favorites are Building a Company by Bob Thomas, this is Roy O. Disney's biography and I thought it was fascinating. He really was the behind the scenes "get it done" guy. If it weren't for Roy, there never would have been a Disneyland.

Also really good. Spinning Disney's World by Charles Ridgeway and In Service to the Mouse by Jack Lindquist.

Not Disney per se, but one of my other favorites is The Pixar Touch: Making of a Company by David Price. Really good behind the scenes look at how Pixar came to be and what went on with Disney and how Disney almost lost them.

For the kids, my nephew really liked these two.

The Man behind the Magic: The Story of Walt Disney by Katherine Greene

Who Was Walt Disney? by Whitney Stewart

4. OKW Lover

OKW Lover Retired and living 2 miles from The Castle. DIS Lifetime Sponsor

About 20 years ago there was a pretty good bio of Walt called Walt Disney: An American Original if I remember correctly.

5. PinkBudgie

PinkBudgie <font color=deeppink>Expert Disneyland Snowball Ma

Pirates of the Caribbean From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies
    The Haunted Mansion From the Magic Kingdom to the Movies

Those books discuss with pictures the history of these rides and also what the versions are like in other parks. It was here I first discovered that WDW's Haunted Mansion was not in a white mansion. It never occured to me that the building would be different. Very interesting books.

Walt Disney's Imagineering Legends
    Designing Disney- Imagineering and the Art of the Show
    How to be Like Walt
    And I have Spinning Disney's World also

The rest of my books are Disneyland History. I love seeing pictures of "the old days" at Disneyland. :)

6. javamoma

Those all sound awesome and have been added to my amazon wish list! Thanks for the replies!

I did find a small book at the library about the imagineering of EPCOT. Pretty interesting.

7. 717fan

717fan Earning My Ears

My favorite Disney book is "Married to the Mouse: Walt Disney World & Orlando"

8. javamoma

Looks good. I had not heard of this one. Thanks!

9. BriarRosie

BriarRosie <font color=blue>Creator of Tag Fairy Haiku:<br>Cl

One that I have currently on my Kindle I haven't seen mentioned already:

The Vault of Walt by Jim Korkis. He used to work for Disney and is now a "Disney Historian", whatever that means. It's a fun collection of stories, a good book to put down and pick up on any chapter.

10. kaligal

kaligal DIS Veteran

I've read a lot of books on Disney, some good, some not so good.

I think that's the best one to start with.

11. PinkBudgie

PinkBudgie <font color=deeppink>Expert Disneyland Snowball Ma

I just finished that one. It is available to borrow from the Kindle library, which I did.

12. FireDancer

FireDancer DIS Veteran

13. FairyGodmotherJen

FairyGodmotherJen DIS Veteran

Spinning Disney's World was my favorite so far. I also enjoyed Mousetrapped, by Catherine Ryan Howard . It's written by an Irish woman who worked at Disney for 18 months. Not all about Disney, really, but she's a fan so it's fun.

How old are your kids? There's a book in my classroom library, Mystery at Walt Disney World by Carole Marsh. My students enjoy it, and I read it to my own kids before our last trip. It'd be great for ages 8 and up. But my favorites for kids are the Kingdom Keepers set of books by Ridley Pearson. They're set in the parks, and are a really entertaining fantasy series. Probably ages 10 and up - I read the first one to my fourth-grade students and they enjoyed it. I had to show pictures of the different places they visited in the book for the kids that had never been there, but they seemed to follow along well anyway. There's a new one out set on the cruise line - it's on my list to read this summer. The biography I have that I feel is really accessible for kids is Who Was Walt Disney?

14. kaligal

kaligal DIS Veteran

I really enjoyed "Mousetrapped" and laughed out loud at least once.

15. pittsburghmarc

pittsburghmarc DIS Veteran

Project Future by Chad Emerson
    Walt and the Promise of Progress City by Sam Gennawey
    Since the World Began by Jeff Kurtti is a must in any fan's collection
    And if you like the imagineering and design aspect of the parks, I strongly recommend...
    Designing Disney's Theme Parks: the Architecture of Reassurance by Karal Ann Marling and
    Designing Disney by John Hench

16. javamoma

Oh my goodness! Each post has so many good suggestions and I only have 1 month until my trip!
    The kids are 7 and 2 1/2. DD7 reads books that are at a reading level for 9/10 year olds. Would kingdom keepers be 10 and up due to reading level or content?

17. TigerTown

TigerTown runDisney addict!

I just started reading this one. Its really good so far.

I would also recommend the Kingdom Keepers Series. They are great audio books for the drive down to Florida!

18. Sarabi's Cubs

Sarabi's Cubs DIS Veteran

Highly recommend Kingdom Keepers for your 7 year old. I think it's older due to reading level not content. Also recommend Peter and the Starcatcher series. I enjoyed Project Future, Mousetrapped and Spinning Disney's World.

Laurie

19. mjallemand

mjallemand Est. 1985

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Just bought these from Amazon.

20. javamoma

My library doesn't have any of these except for Kingdom Keepers. Looks like I'll be hitting up amazon too.

21. bellaally

bellaally DIS Veteran

Disney wars is the best book ever loved it very informative.