Disney Book Suggestions for an advanced 6 year old?

My youngest dd is 9 and also an advanced reader. She is reading the Kingdom Keeper series and Harry Potter now, but I don't think she'd have gotten into either series at 6. Not Disney related, but my dd and my ds7 both like the Magic Treehouse books series. The Hank Zipzer series, written by Henry Winkler, who starred in Happy Days, is also good. He writes about his life as an elementary school kid with learning issues and it's pretty funny. I teach special ed and I liked it, my class just thought it was ok. Another good series, which I've used in my classroom, is written by Carole Marsh. It's about a set of grandparents (Carole and her husband), who take their 2 grandkids to places all around the country and the world. They always meet up with kids from the place they're visiting and have a mystery adventure. Her earlier books featured her son and daughter, rather then grandkids. The kids are elementary age in the stories. She's got several series out now, the original one I think was listed as Carole Marsh Mysteries. One of the books is set in WDW. My older dd's read them up until this year and they're 13. Note to self: find Carole Marsh mystery books for younger dd!

Such great suggestions! ITA with the original versions of Mary Popins, Peter Pan, etc. A book of Hans Christian Anderson stories might be good - plus it will have the original version of The Little Mermaid. There is a series of fairy books (Vidia and the Fairy Crown is one) that are longer paperbacks. Might take an hour for your DD to read. Aside from Disney, my 6yo loves series like Beverly Cleary (esp Ramona), Mrs Piggle Wiggle and The Littles.

My DS is currently reading The Mystery at Walt Disney World by Carole Marsh. He hates reading, but he loves this book. It has got him really excited about his first visit to WDW

I read all of the OZ books when I was a kid. The second book is pretty dark. Dorothy is sent to a sanitarium because her OZ stories make people think she's crazy. While she's there she undergoes electroshock therapy. She ends up running away during a stormy night. There's also a woman who wants her head for her head collection. Instead of changing clothes she changes heads. The heads are alive and are in a room together. It's been decades since I read those books and I still remember those things vividly. I just wanted to warn you.

What about the Choose Your Own Adventure series? The books have been re-released.

Another fun thing if you're willing to do them with her would be Mad Libs. My son is 5 1/5 and very advanced. He thinks they're lots of fun.

You could also get her or make her a travel journal. Package it with crayons or colored pencils, a glue stick, scissors (in the luggage since you can't take them on the plane) and tape. I did one with my son during our last trip and he had lots of fun with it.

What about classics like The Secret Garden or The Little Princess?

My older boys are advanced readers and were reading at about the same level when they were your dd's age. For WDW specifically, they really liked the Birnbaum's official guide. I didn't give them the one for kids. The one for adults has more information, and they love to plan.

I agree that some of the original books upon which Disney movies were based are fantastic. My boys read Wind in the Willows, the Pooh books, 101 Dalmations, and Peter Pan when they were about her age. If you have an e-reader, all except 101 Dalmations is free because they're old and in the public domain. Swiss Family Robinson is a wonderful book, but it's about a high school reading level. It wouldn't be interesting to a 6 year old no matter how well that 6 year old reads. It will be greatly enjoyed in about 3-5 years, though.

I wouldn't do any abridged books, like Illustrated Classics or others. A child who enjoys reading will thrive with the original versions, which have such descriptive language and well-developed plots. If she isn't ready for the unabridged version, then hold off a few years.

Try Peggy Parrish- Clues in the Woods or Key to the Treasure. Older books about siblings visiting their granparents and following clues left by their grandparent and siblings when they were kids. Wholesome.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts