Disney and Universal

drise

Mouseketeer
We're staying at our DVC resort over Thanksgiving week and for the first time we'll be visiting Universal. Is it worth it to stay on site at Universal for 1 night in order to get the Express line (FOTL) pass? We're already splitting our stay with 2 nights at BLT and 5 nights at OKW so we'd be changing hotels again for 1 night. I do hate lines though and I'm sure that week is crowded. Any thoughts?

One night on-site gets you 2 days hotel express. You can book the hotel and not stay there too. Is it worth it over a holiday, yes. :) How many in your party?

In any event - on-site is just awesome. :thumbsup2 You may get spoiled. :goodvibes

TES...it's worth booking an on site room....especially during a holiday. Buying the one time only express passes for your family would probably cost more than booking one room. Plus...as stated above, you get TWO full days of express access for a one night booking on site.
You don't really have to move all your things over to Universal. Just pack what you'll need while you're there and leave the rest at WDW.

If you can work it out, staying the one night would be well worth it.
On check out day...(and check in day for that matter)...you can store you luggage in the hotels "luggage storage area" and then head straight to the park...about a five minute walk from HR.

We're staying at our DVC resort over Thanksgiving week and for the first time we'll be visiting Universal. Is it worth it to stay on site at Universal for 1 night in order to get the Express line (FOTL) pass? We're already splitting our stay with 2 nights at BLT and 5 nights at OKW so we'd be changing hotels again for 1 night. I do hate lines though and I'm sure that week is crowded. Any thoughts?
There is no such thing as an FOTL pass at Universal Orlando...that's only a DIS term. It's all Express access but onsite guests' access is unlimited. Just wanted to make sure there was no confusion.

I would definetly do it..the 2 day access is well worth the one night price to stay...you will definelty be living out of your suitcase all week by not having to wait in line is priceless!!!! and dont forget early access to harry potter before the holiday crowds come

We spent 5 nights Thanksgiving week at the Poly before moving over to HRH Thanksgiving night for one night. It was well worth it! We waited no more than 5-15 minutes for each ride (aside from Forbidden Journey and Rip Ride Rockit which don't accept Express Pass). Also, the resort is within walking distance and the parks aren't as spread out as WDW. We had a nice Thanksgiving buffet at the Kitchen and were able to go back to the parks after dinner. The parks are close to one another so it's easy to go between parks.

It felt like more of a vacation since we weren't spending a lot of time walking and waiting in lines. We planned Universal for T'giving and Black Friday figuring that WDW would be much busier and we'd be able to do more with the express passes. That plan worked well. We liked it so much that we are returning to Universal next month and are bringing extended family with us. I just returned from WDW yesterday with my DS's. My DH didn't go with us because he said that Disney doesn't feel like a vacation for him and that he only likes to go once every few years. He much prefers Universal. I personally love both.

We spent 5 nights Thanksgiving week at the Poly before moving over to HRH Thanksgiving night for one night. It was well worth it! We waited no more than 5-15 minutes for each ride (aside from Forbidden Journey and Rip Ride Rockit which don't accept Express Pass). Also, the resort is within walking distance and the parks aren't as spread out as WDW. We had a nice Thanksgiving buffet at the Kitchen and were able to go back to the parks after dinner. The parks are close to one another so it's easy to go between parks.

It felt like more of a vacation since we weren't spending a lot of time walking and waiting in lines. We planned Universal for T'giving and Black Friday figuring that WDW would be much busier and we'd be able to do more with the express passes. That plan worked well. We liked it so much that we are returning to Universal next month and are bringing extended family with us. I just returned from WDW yesterday with my DS's. My DH didn't go with us because he said that Disney doesn't feel like a vacation for him and that he only likes to go once every few years. He much prefers Universal. I personally love both.

Wow, that's good to know. I was going to avoid Disney and Universal on Thanksgiving day, assuming they'd both be mobbed. But you're saying Universal wasn't bad with early access staying on site.

Wow, that's good to know. I was going to avoid Disney and Universal on Thanksgiving day, assuming they'd both be mobbed. But you're saying Universal wasn't bad with early access staying on site.

That's correct. With the express pass, the wait times were only 5-15 minutes. Both Universal and IOA were crowded but nowhere near as crowded as Disney.

We were planning on going on Forbidden Journey with the early entry the morning after Thanksgiving but my son got sick during the middle of the night so we weren't able to get going early. Thankfully, he was better the next morning. It must have been something that he ate that upset his stomach. Since the wait time was only 20 minutes Thanksgiving evening (around 7pm I think), we went on Forbidden Journey. I was happy that we had done it that night since the wait times when we got to the park the next day were long. So, I would suggest if you want to go on Forbidden Journey more than once without long waits, go in the evening and for early entry.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter