Disney and the swine flu

I remember when my babies were 6 weeks old -- I don't think I would feel up to the energy required to tackle WDW.

I don't think we would have considered flying them anywhere at that age either.
If it were me I would reschedule wdw to when the baby was a wee bit older, sleeping though most of the night, and just taking one nap a day. Preferably not during any kind of flu season either.

Do what feels right for you. Another thing to consider is mom's health. Is mom feeling ok, and will she be able to walk around the parks 6 weeks after delivery?

Me, DH, our baby (who was 3 months), and two of our friends went last month, and we were all fine, and came home just as healthy. None of us got sick, and none of us had received a normal flu shot, or an H1N1 shot. I carried my baby around in her Peanut Shell carrier (which she loved, and it also helped protect her from the sun/breezes or people touching her, and people that may have been sneezing around us).

Again, just do what feels right for you, and ask your pediatrician their opinion too, as they are probably more qualified than any of us non doctors. :)

It is the same threat as anywhere else right now...In fact with all the people probably packed in from all areas of the world, I would say higher risk than average.Flying is also very high risk.

i have never been one to stay inside with my babies, i was out and about with both of them by around 2 weeks old. that being said, they were both may babies and the flu threat wasn't as high.

just remember this: a fever in a baby that young earns you an automatic 3 day pass to the hospital, minimum...spinal tap, the works. they have to check for infection in a baby that young. my dd had a fever very young (not from anything contagious) and i will NEVER forget the trauma of hearing her scream as she got a spinal tap in the emergency room.

that aside, i just can't imagine being up for doing a lot at disney at 6 weeks post partum. i even had a great/easy recovery from both babies, but walking around all over the place at 6 weeks on little sleep? no thanks...

just my opinion, though, based on my own experiences...

I'd call your peds office, we took our kids that age and younger.

I'm concerned about H1N1 with our 2 year old asthmatic but it's not keeping us home. Due to the shortage of the shot he'll only have 1 dose before we leave, he may get the 2nd right before but he won't be fully immune until we return home.

I figure with the holidays coming up you're probably not at any greater risk then being around everyone else, maybe more risk those are the people going to touch your baby I never had anyone try to touch our babies in WDW.

Even when we took our 2 weeker to WDW our ped said he's more likely to get something at home from the then 2.5 year old dragging it home from preschool than being carried around WDW.

i have never been one to stay inside with my babies, i was out and about with both of them by around 2 weeks old. that being said, they were both may babies and the flu threat wasn't as high.

just remember this: a fever in a baby that young earns you an automatic 3 day pass to the hospital, minimum...spinal tap, the works. they have to check for infection in a baby that young. my dd had a fever very young (not from anything contagious) and i will NEVER forget the trauma of hearing her scream as she got a spinal tap in the emergency room.

that aside, i just can't imagine being up for doing a lot at disney at 6 weeks post partum. i even had a great/easy recovery from both babies, but walking around all over the place at 6 weeks on little sleep? no thanks...

just my opinion, though, based on my own experiences...

I remember when I had my oldest dd, my ped telling me that exact scenario. He said 'IF a newborn has a fever, it means a spinal tap at the very least." He recommended that I stay away from crowded places (malls, church) for the first 8 weeks.

Pixidustmom, wow on being a surrogate. I think that is wonderful!!

We are going with a 5 month old next month...still going--I'm more worried about us getting sick BEFORE the trip and having the cancel. H1N1 is going around DD's preschool and all I can find is the mist and because she had an asthma attack 2 weeks ago she can't get the mist.

My parents were going to go to DL for Halloween back when my son was 4 weeks old. I wanted to go with them...mainly for my sister to see her newphew. I talked to my doctor about it and he advised against it, not only for baby (because of the flight and close proximity of others to my child) but also for me as I had an emergency c-section. However, he did say in the end it was my choice. This was 2 years ago though. We ended up not going because I had some minor pain still from my section.

Today, if given the same option, I'd def not take him. It's just too young and not a risk worth taking during the flu season (regardless of the type of flu).

Talk to your doc...and decide after that.

Swine flu or not, I wouldn't be taking a 6-week old to WDW at that age.. Too many germs for such a young baby..

Just my personal opinion though..:)

I agree with you.

There is no way I would take a child to WDW right now and I have already rescheduled my trip.

I took my DD at 8 weeks to Cedar Point and then to the Outer Banks in a 2 week trip from NJ- so I am not usually protective of germs. (trips were in August)

We were in Disney last week from Thur to Mon. On Tuesday DD age 2, began a fever. I took her this morning to Peds and they said it was just a 3 to 5 day virus. I was very very careful about wiping her hands with antibactorial wipes hourly, cleaning table tops, etc. But she still picked up something. But I am sure there are tens of thousands of kids who were there last week who didn't pick up any virus.

If you were to go, with a baby that little I would definitely try to 'wear" the baby as much as possible and keep her close. If flying, I doubt you are buying a seat for your child and both flights our plane was full- it is hard to get away from the person in the seat next to you for a few hours....

Thank you for the thoughts everyone.

We would be driving, not flying.

There is no rescheduling. The room is a gift, part of a package and we took the cruise half last year. We had to book the room or else it would expire, and then we got pregnant after booking. It is a non-refundable, non-reschedule.

Out Ped knows about the plan, she frowned but did not say no.

We would be keeping DD held close and nobody else would be touching her. We only plan to spend 2 days in the parks, and only a few hours each time. Not a ride the rides trip, its a experience Disney Christmas trip. DD3 does not know about it yet in case we don't go.

Other things to consider, I had brain surgery this year, so it has been a tough year and it would be nice to end it on an up note. There is one of the last shuttle launches scheduled for that week. It would be nice to see that bit of history before they go away.

We may wait and see the swine flu threat the week before and then make a decision.:confused3

Have you seen the bazillion threads about families coming back sick from WDW? Even if nobody touches the baby your clothing will touch other things. People sneeze, people cough etc. Your ped frowned so that should tell you something. I am sorry you had such a rough year but I don't think the pros outweigh the cons.

I seriously wouldn't do it....A 6 week old does not have a fully functioniong immune system..Not to mention that FLU is Droplet transmission not only contact.Meaning your baby doesn't even have to have someone touch her to get it.Just a sneeze or cough of an infected person near her is enough.IF she gets sick you are looking at a hospitaliztion for her...Not worth it.

I had a conference at the CSR in Disney World 5 weeks after delivery. My husband and I both work for the same company and he had to attend the conference while I ran the event. We had no choice but to take our newborn along with the grandparents. The baby was with the grandparents during the meeting times and we went to the parks 2 days from 2-10pm. I was exhausted, but we had a lot of extra adult help. Somebody was "wearing" the baby at all times. I nursed exclusively and the pediatrician said that gives them the best immunities.

Nobody can make the decision for you. Just take precautions. Being outdoors harbors less bacteria, so maybe take advantage of the parent swap fast pass so the baby is never in a crowded or closed in setting.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!:)

I had a conference at the CSR in Disney World 5 weeks after delivery. My husband and I both work for the same company and he had to attend the conference while I ran the event. We had no choice but to take our newborn along with the grandparents. The baby was with the grandparents during the meeting times and we went to the parks 2 days from 2-10pm. I was exhausted, but we had a lot of extra adult help. Somebody was "wearing" the baby at all times. I nursed exclusively and the pediatrician said that gives them the best immunities.

Nobody can make the decision for you. Just take precautions. Being outdoors harbors less bacteria, so maybe take advantage of the parent swap fast pass so the baby is never in a crowded or closed in setting.

Have fun and enjoy your trip!:)

Yes BUT was this in the middle of a "pandemic" of a flu that no one under 50 has any immunity to? As I said before I am so far from a germaphobe it isn't funny BUT this is an entirely different set of circumstances and seems IMO irresponsible to me to take an infant into a dangerous situation just because we want to not because we Need to.

If it were me, I'd probably go too. To be extra safe, I'd make sure I was nursing so baby gets your immunities, and of course get the vax myself. Have fun!:goodvibes

I flew to Disney a few weeks ago and didn't catch anything, but my son at home was sick and had to stay home from school for three days. I would just use lots of hand sanitizer and avoid people who are coughing. Have fun and take it easy.

Swine is not hitting adults like it is kids. We had 2 small children who were otherwise healthy DIE of it in our ICU last week.I am sorry if that sounds scary, but unlike seasonal flu this one seems to really hit the youngest very hard.

Good docs will tell you the opposite - they need to be protected at that age as little things like colds/flu, can and do turn deadly. You should not be bringing them into airplanes, crowded shopping malls, etc. at that age.

There's no consensus either way, so I think it is a bit much to say that any good doc will say to shelter the baby. My ped is an excellent doctor who believes that there's not reason to sequester an otherwise healthy newborn away from the world to protect against germs.

I think whether or not to go depends on a number of things - the pace of the trip, the travel arrangements, how Mom is feeling, how the baby will be carted around, etc. It could probably be done safely, driving rather than flying, cleaning the room upon arrival, carrying baby in a sling to keep him sheltered, taking it easy, and making ample use of hand sanitizers between frequent hand washings, but personally I wouldn't want to take that trip. It would be a lot of hassle and not a lot of fun IMO.

OP, have you been vaccinated? Are you nursing? Those things would make a difference if it were me, because if you're vaccinated and breastfeeding, the baby will benefit somewhat from your immunities.

I can see not wanting to lose this package, BUT, nothing is more important than your family's health

Just reading the boards you see how many people are coming home sick and have taken all the precautions.

All it takes is standing at the gate waiting to get in and have someone next to you sneeze. That can be all it takes

It is your decision, just don't let money be your deciding factor. If you could cancel or reschedule, would you?

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter