Disney’s Avatar queue at Animal Kingdom starts construction

crazy4wdw

Moderator - Restaurant Board
Mar 17, 2015, 2:59pm EDT
Richard Bilbao Reporter-Orlando Business Journal

Walt Disney World is starting work on queue areas at the Avatar expansion, which is set to open in 2017 at Animal Kingdom.

The theme park filed two notice of commencements with Orange County for a project called "Morpho 801," which is speculated to be the codename of the Avatar project, for "queue construction including steel framing, foundations and roofing" and "queue EER room construction completion including block foundations and roofing."

Disney has been secretive with details of the expansion. However, small bits of information released by the theme park suggest it will include walking areas and decorations pulled from Avatar's world of Pandora, as well as an attraction based on riding the banshees from the film.

The expansion also will provide Animal Kingdom with the ability to host guests later at night, as well as cater to Avatar fans as new movies in the series are released.

Is there going to be another Avatar movie any time soon? Just wondering if this is going to tie into another movie. I hope so...because I liked Avatar.

The expansion also will provide Animal Kingdom with the ability to host guests later at night, as well as cater to Avatar fans as new movies in the series are released.

In the above, Disney is simultaneously showing both good sense and ....no sense.

Regarding the former, they are smart-- very smart -- to no longer be putting out any specific dates tied to supposed new Avatar movies, since the dates (or possibly even likelihood) of those are about as stable as... the San Andreas fault. On the no sense end, the only way Disney could possibly have looked more ludicrious in their referencing Avatar "fans" would have been if they had also made reference to John Carter "fans."

Last edited:
Is there going to be another Avatar movie any time soon?

With James Cameron, "soon" is apparently...a conceptual term. The dates for the supposed sequel(s?) have gotten pushed back so many times people here have stopped speculating about when and frankly if they will actually be released. And given how much people here love to speculate, that's noteworthy.

And also is what happens when people get jerked around too many times by meaningless press releases. :coffee:

Is there going to be another Avatar movie any time soon? Just wondering if this is going to tie into another movie. I hope so...because I liked Avatar.
Sequel number 1 in 2017 and then two more following the years after.

Originally the first sequel was be released this year and now is delayed until December 2017. As others have mentioned, I would't place any bets on it be released in 2017 either. I'd be surprised if it is released in 12/2017 as Disney is planning to release Star Wars episode VIII at the same time. I wouldn't think that the studios would want both of these films going head to head at the box office.

Originally the first sequel was be released this year and now is delayed until December 2017. As others have mentioned, I would't place any bets on it be released in 2017 either. I'd be surprised if it is released in 12/2017 as Disney is planning to release Star Wars episode VIII at the same time. I wouldn't think that the studios would want both of these films going head to head at the box office.
Disney has no say in when avatar is released. I also would bet that Star Wars would beat avatar at the box office.

Yes, I realize that. When I stated "studios" that was the plural. I can't imagine that Twentieth Century Fox would release the Avatar sequel during the same time frame as episode VIII. Like you, I would imagine that Star Wars would win that box office battle (unless "The Force Awakens is a financial disaster!).

Thanks for the updates. I'm also waiting patiently for Star Wars. :) In my mind it is just strange to wait so many years after the movie to put Avatar into the parks, so I was thinking perhaps it would be coincide with a movie release. No time was wasted adding Frozen (and I haven't even seen that movie). LOL

Mar 17, 2015, 2:59pm EDT
Richard Bilbao Reporter-Orlando Business Journal

Walt Disney World is starting work on queue areas at the Avatar expansion, which is set to open in 2017 at Animal Kingdom.

Any idea if there will be any Animal Kingdom nighttime activities or shows this October? Thanks for the exciting Avatar Land news!

I'll be checking out the construction when we're there next week and wishing it was already finished--and we've never seen Avatar. It just looks super cool and as if it could be a totally immersive environment. I wonder if there are people who haven't seen HP and who still go to Universal and love it?

Disney has no say in when avatar is released. I also would bet that Star Wars would beat avatar at the box office.
neither would want to open at the same time so I highly doubt it and im not totally sure which one would win given the success of the first Avatar movie and how big it was internationally

Any idea if there will be any Animal Kingdom nighttime activities or shows this October? Thanks for the exciting Avatar Land news!

Last rumors were Rivers of Light to open in Spring 2016, so no I would say that you are unlikely to see anything new this October.

I thought this was a joke thread at first... as in, they were building their queue first so people could start waiting for the ride...

then I realized it was real... and I had to laugh because it really did seem like a joke to me.

I'll be checking out the construction when we're there next week and wishing it was already finished--and we've never seen Avatar. It just looks super cool and as if it could be a totally immersive environment. I wonder if there are people who haven't seen HP and who still go to Universal and love it?
I'm excited for this and I also haven't seen avatar. I mean just a few scenes. And I couldn't take it seriously cause the theme is shoved down your throat and the aliens look just hilarious.

But I love bioluminescence. <3

Looked at it quite a bit from Jambo house/service area last week...

The structural steel is up and they are moving...slowly... As usual these days.

It looks like a nice sized addition at first...but quite a bit smaller on closer inspection than driving past...

DAK is under alot of construction...and that is a welcome...I still question why it took probably 10 years to long to do this though...

Studios...as
Previously reported...really looks like a shell of a park...honestly - it's in the realm of "discounted admission"...if they had any pride.

We'll see what happens there.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter