Dis'ers..I need you! Case of Hand, Foot, Mouth disease

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by Mom2Four, Oct 2, 2012.

1. Lampoon2012

Lampoon2012 Earning My Ears

My, at the time, 7 year old son had it. He was in the hospital for 6 days. Scariest thing we had to go through as parents. Made me very great full for an otherwise healthy child.

At 18 months I would think shed be ok as the symptoms seem to subside faster the younger they are. As someone else stated, I'd be worried that your 10 year old would get it. The older they are the worse the symptoms.

Good luck and I hope everyone gets back to 100% quickly. Sick kids are no fun.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BeveMom

BeveMom Mouseketeer

Those yogurt drinks are really good too. Try to stay away from anything that might be acidic - I get canker sores a lot, which are similar to the HFM mouth sores. Poor baby!

4. CraftyMommy

CraftyMommy Mouseketeer

I am sitting in a computer lab at college reading this and my eyes started watering. I feel so badly for your little girl. Just picturing her there saying Mama over and over. My 18 month old does says that when she is not happy. I am sending lots of virtual pixie dust and hugs to Lily. No child should be sick, ever.

5. Mom2Four

Mom2Four Mouseketeer

Thank you soooo very much!! I am so pleased to tell you that Lily is feeling much better! She woke up from her nap and had some Pediasure, then around dinner time my husband asked her if she would like some scrambled eggs. She replied "Egg!". She only ate half the plate but what an improvement from even yesterday!! Thanks to all for all of your heartfelt nice wishes and thoughts! Not to mention your advice and shared experiences!!!! The dis really does rock!!!!! :hug:

6. vtownpatty

vtownpatty Mouseketeer

I think a lot just depends on your kid and their pain tolerance. My son used to get strep throat often (before his tonsils were taken out)so he has a high threshold for throat pain. He got HFM for the 3rd or 4th time in August and got hand and foot blisters for the first time. His feet bothered him the most when walking a lot. It did seem like the more active he was, the more blisters came out. Maybe try to keep her as sedentary as possible? Good luck and I hope you are able to make your trip!

7. lucifie

lucifie DIS Veteran

When you Google HFM it says it's a common childhood illness, but I'd never heard of it until some of my friends' kids got it. I have 4 kids and have been a parent for 9 years and I had never seen it before my 2 year old got it a couple weeks ago. Apparently a kid can get it and have very mild symptoms or none at all

8. smurphs719

smurphs719 Earning My Ears

My 14 month old DS had this in August. He got it from his cousins who had been fever free for over a week... Because it turns out some people are contagious for up to 3 weeks. And everyone is contagious intestinally for 6 weeks, which means anything but saliva and urine. So make sure hands are well washed after bathroom trips, everyone's! She may not be contagious, but to spare everyone else I would be careful. You will have a wonderful trip though, because once kids feel better with this they are ready to go, scabs and all!
    We were also told that hydrocortisone on the blisters, after the scabs fell off would help the marks go away faster.

9. Magnetgirl25

Magnetgirl25 Earning My Ears

I am so glad that Lilly is feeling better!!! I hope that everyday she continues to be on the mend and that you guys have a wonderful trip!!!!

10. MScott1851

MScott1851 <font color=font color=royalblue>Got a link for th

My DD had a mild case of it this summer, apparently there was an epidemic in Alabama and she caught it while visiting grandparents. She didn't eat for a couple days, ran a little fever and was fussy, but I chalked it up to cutting 3 year molars. We woke up two mornings after the fever started, I saw the sores on her feet and hands, looked in her mouth and immediately knew what it was. I am a nurse, so I called her ped just to report it, but he and I agreed, once the fever is over and the sores are scabbed, the worst is past. I think they shed the virus for up to a month, though. She felt bad Sunday-Monday, I noticed the blisters on Tuesday morning, and she was feeling much better by Thursday. But hers was very mild...I've had to start countless IVs on pediatric patients who got dehydrated because they couldn't take in any fluids due to horrible sores in their mouth. Magic mouthwash, lots of Advil & Tylenol, push fluids, and keep your fingers crossed.

11. WantToGoNow

WantToGoNow DIS Veteran

My dd8 has this right now - I wasnt even aware that older kids got it. She had a temp of 102.1 Friday evening which turned into 104 Saturday morning. I thought she had strep again - she had it 2 weeks ago. Blisters are just in her throat but she is in a lot of pain. Going back to the dr today because now her viral induced asthma is flared. I can honestly say that she would not be enjoying WDW if we were there now.

12. Swirly girls

Swirly girls Mouseketeer

13. mjkacmom

mjkacmom DIS Veteran

14. Mabel67

Mabel67 Mouseketeer

15. ArielRae

ArielRae DIS Veteran

Haven't read thru the whole thread but justed wanted to let know so it isn't a shock but about a month from when your child looks better they may lose some finger and toe nails. If they had blisters on their hands then it is in their nail bed and has to grow out which causes them to lose their nails. DS lost some and (although rare for adults to get I did) I had my nails thinned so much that they pealed some layers. Just keep the nails trimmed to make sure they don't get torn off especially their toes. Sorry for the image. :crazy2:

16. xipotec

xipotec Grinning Ghosts

I am in the medical field.

It is not that common, but it is also not that serious.
    It all depends on how comfortable you are leaving your child while sick.

Having 2 kids myself , and being a worrying parent, i have also come to realize that the truth is most of the time you have zero control over how a sickness will progress.
    Its all a matter of will guilt over not staying ruin your trip?

Btw it is contagious

17. Swirly girls

Swirly girls Mouseketeer

18. Swirly girls

Swirly girls Mouseketeer

19. mjkacmom

mjkacmom DIS Veteran

20. cyndik1111

cyndik1111 DIS Veteran

Not common? What's your definition of common? It really is quite prevalent. I have worked in emergency medicine for over 15 years....it is VERY common. Just because you didn't recognize it as coxsackie, doesn't mean it isn't out there. Ask any school nurse, she'll tell you about how every Sept/Oct there is a run of it in the schools. Then it dies down. It isn't always blisters in mouth/hands/feet. Sometimes just a fever and viral exanthum (rash). A trained clinician will know it, but not the lay person. And yes, most people have had it one time or another, and the symptoms can be so mild, or nonexistent that they don't even know they've had it. And you can get it again.

Whether someone should take their child on a trip with the illness, that is between them and their doctor. A lot of variables to consider.