Disembark and rental car

dscott1996

Earning My Ears
Hi everyone.
First let me say Thank You to all of you. My wife and I are leaving on our first cruise on the Dream on August 2nd. These boards (and the podcast) have been so helpful.

Our flight is not leaving until 5 PM on the last day of our cruise. For this reason we have decided to rent a car and possibly head to downtown Disney or City Walk or something before the airport. So...

Is one rental car company easier then another to get to when leaving port?
Is it a big deal to rent a car one way from Port to MCO? Much more expensive?
What time do the rental car places open when leaving port? - we were wondering about trying to make a park, so what would be the earliest we could leave the ship and rent a car?

Again, thanks to all of you, and thanks in advance for any answers you are able to provide.

We also had a 5:00 flight and decided to rent a car and go to DTD. We rented with Budget and it was very easy. They pick you right up at port and the office is about 1 mile away.

We didn't think we would have enough time to have the expense of going to a park. We wanted to make sure to be back at the airport by 3:00. If we had AP's, I would have done it.

We were at DTD by around 10:30. This was with having the second seating for breakfast and we did not rush at all.

We use Avis for the one way rental to and from the ship. They are friendly and were always right there when we got off the ship. We skip breakfast so we can leave as soon as the ship is cleared. They bad part is that disney changed how you can get from the ship to the rental places. They now load you on a bus and Avis is the last drop off. We had to wait for 40 mins while they loaded everyone and the luggage. When Avis picked us up there was never a wait. The one way rental usually cost me between $40-$70 depending on the car/suv.

We use Avis for the one way rental to and from the ship. They are friendly and were always right there when we got off the ship. We skip breakfast so we can leave as soon as the ship is cleared. They bad part is that disney changed how you can get from the ship to the rental places. They now load you on a bus and Avis is the last drop off. We had to wait for 40 mins while they loaded everyone and the luggage. When Avis picked us up there was never a wait. The one way rental usually cost me between $40-$70 depending on the car/suv.

Do you recall what the first drop-off was?
We're spending a few days in the park after our cruise, and crossing my fingers we won't wait a long time getting our rental car. We had a bad experience in January with this issue (different cruise-line though). There were no set lines for people waiting for rental car buses so when the various agencies showed up hoards of people jumped on whether they had been waiting 45 minutes or just happened to stroll by when the bus came back for a pick-up. We had 13 people with us and all our luggage which didn't help matters :eek:.
I'm hoping Disney has a better system in place.

Sorry not sure on the name of the rental car but it was one of the Major companies. I do know Disney has a better system for the lines. You wait in the same area and in the same fashion as if you were taking a Disney bus back to the parks/airport.

When was this? We often do a one-way rental from the ship to MCO and the process has always been that you claim your luggage and head out to the drop/off pick up area for shuttle buses, limos, private cars, etc. and you line up at the appropriate station for you rental car company. The rental shuttle bus picks you up and brings you to their office. We have often found that if you more than 2 people it is sometimes easier to send one person on the shuttle bus to go get the rental car and then that person comes back to pick up the luggage and rest of the group.

It often can be a wait if everyone tries to board the shuttle bus with all their luggage and people as the shuttle buses do not hold that many people at a time. We most recently did this in January...has this process changed since then?

The rental car companies near the port are Avis, Budget, Hertz, Thrifty/Dollar and Enterprise. All do one way rental. Thrifty usually charges a one-way drop fee but we have even with the drop fee they are often the least expensive company. But...I price out all of them and choose the one that has the best price for the time I need.

You can find many discount car rental codes at www.mousesavers.com

MJ

I am curious too about this new policy. I haven't seen anything here about a change from catching the Avis, Budget, etc. shuttle directly in front of the DCL terminal. We are cruising in October and renting a car. Anyone have more info on this change?

I'm also hoping to get more info on the rental car process. We have a car reserved from Avis, and if we have to wait for a bus to drop everyone else at other stops before us, I am going to be very unhappy.

Thank You all! Keep the replies coming, but this is why I love these boards. The idea of sending one to get the car and coming back to get everyone is WONderful!

Hope you all have a great weekend!

We cruised in March and there were the shuttles from the different rental companies then. My DH took the shuttle while me and the boys waited with the luggage.

It was after the transatlantic cruise in September 2010 during the construction at the port. It may have been due to the amount of people renting cars. Prior to this sailing each company had their own shuttle. In March we had our parents pick us up so we didnt use the rental company. We sail again in October so I hope it went back to the old way.

It was after the transatlantic cruise in September 2010 during the construction at the port. It may have been due to the amount of people renting cars. Prior to this sailing each company had their own shuttle. In March we had our parents pick us up so we didnt use the rental company. We sail again in October so I hope it went back to the old way.

Thanks so much.....I had a feeling your experience was due to the construction at the port. This January it was back to the old way and I am pretty sure it still is.:thumbsup2

MJ

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

GET UP TO A $1000 SHIPBOARD CREDIT AND AN EXCLUSIVE GIFT!

If you make your Disney Cruise Line reservation with Dreams Unlimited Travel you’ll receive these incredible shipboard credits to spend on your cruise!

facebook twitter