Discuss what Disney is doing wrong part II

AFAIK, The Parks and Resort segments have operating profit (at least with respect to 2006-2008)...so I'm not challenging your point. just saying that the point might have more impact if it weren't made company wide.

Yep. Better to use the figures that were recently released... "Segment profit at the theme parks and resorts in the third quarter fell 19% to $521 million" (ETA: note that is *quarterly* profits, not annual). Disney isn't teetering on the brink of going under by any means, and the parks remain one of their most profitable ventures, which is why some people (and I'm increasingly finding myself among them with the changes of the past few months) think they could afford treat guests a little more like they did in the past. You know, the sort of treatment that built those billion-dollar profits in the first place.

The one big thing I'd like for Disney to change is the 1-800 Number thing. They should really offer one!!

Yes, I have even often thought there should be a cable channel (not just at the resorts, but a channel you could subscribe to through your cable/satellite provider) with just the old Disney cartoons and old Wonderful World of Disney episodes, maybe the old Mickey Mouse Club (that is before my time, but I bet people would watch it) :happytv: Disney has so many options now Disney, Toon Disney, Disney XD. I bet Disney Classic would be a hit.

That would be so much better than the rubbish the Disney Channel is currently showing. While waiting for Illuminations one night, a six year old girl started chatting to me about Disney and asked if I watched the Disney Channel. When I said "when I can" she started chatting away about Hannah Montana and the Suite Life which I can't stand! At her age, she should be watching cartoons!

We've just got back, and I have to say if I could change one thing it would be the food. It was the one area which Universal bettered Disney for me. In Islands of Adventure, my husband and I had a three course meal in mythos. It came to $43. A two course meal in Chefs de France cost us $56, and the food was no where near as good.

I think Disney is doing EVERYTHING wrong.

It is awful. Disney is a terrible terrible terrible place to visit. Do not waste your vacation $$ there. It is a complete rip off. Customer service is terrible, everything is overpriced, the place is filthy and disgusting, and the rides are crap. The place is falling apart, on one trip I watched an entire Country Bear show, with one of the bears missing an arm! The food is disgusting and there are huge waits for all of the restaurants. The hotel rooms are tiny for the price. Magic schmagic, there is no magic.

Universal is a much better deal, their parks are just as nice as Disney and the rides are better. Next year they are opening up Harry Potter! If you stay at a Universal resort you get front of the line privileges.

I think everyone planning a trip to Disney should go to Universal.

Stay away from Disney parks......esp in Sept from the 13th to the 19th, I hear Disney will be esp. terrible then, trust me, stay away.

Disney = Bad

I think, no - I KNOW DIsney is always modifying things: sometimes they make it better for us, and sometimes they make it better for them. Often they do both.

I also know that lots of folks are working daily to make WDW a better place. I thank them.

I'm willing to bet nobody here even recalls that the walkway leading up to the resort monorail used to have poles running up the middle of the walkway. If you had a stroller or wheelchair you had to stay on one side, and forget holding hands as you went up the walkway. Eliminating the supports in the middle of the walkway makes walking through that area much easier.

We tend to notice the changes we don't like - and the more dramatic ones like adding DavyJones to Pirates. I doubt most people would notice something like brighter/better lighting in a gift shop.

Having said all that, the most dramatic thigns I've noticed is changes in the guests. People have become far more rude at WDW. I think they've become that way more in general. Folks are super-impatient nowadays. I wish that Disney could do more to improve the conduct of their guests. I can't fault Disney really. Maybe bringing back bus driver who talkto guests wouldbe a start. They could lecture guests on their conduct while they are stuck onthe bus. Or maybe Disney could create an audio track that was funny which accomplished the same thing: like a funny video that illustrates why you should hold the door behind you. I'm amazed at the simple things folks no longer do - like when you exit the monorail, there's a gate that springs shut if you let go of it. How simple is it to hold the gate for the person behind you? How few folks will do it nowadays? Most folks won't even hold it if there's a disabled guest behind them! There was a time when most folks held the gate for the folks behind them. Time was when very few folks would stop in the middle of a theater row, now it happens in every show!

One big thing I see that Disney needs to bring back is more restroom cleaners. Maybe folks have become bigger slobs, but the restrooms are not as clean as they used to be. I mostly love the automated units (except whenthe auto toilets stray me with toilet water. EWWWW!:scared1:

I also miss the bus drivers telling jokes and trivia. It's a shame they kind of pushed those folks out the door. Still, lots of kind bus drivers remain.

I wish more TS dining locations had walk up seating. I think it would be great if more restaurants reserved a small section for walk ups.

I also wish more rooms had better fridges. The ones they currently have are set on low, with no way to adjust them.

I'm also with you on the 800# - and they have the nerve to ask me to stay on the line for a survey! Won't matter so much when we all go to unlimited calling plans.

So, why not better posted maps at resorts, Disney? Not everyone knows their way around a resort as large as SSR. Just putting the range of rooms each building covers on the map would be a huge help.
You just reminded of when we stayed at CSR and I had tons of trouble finding the room. The funny part is that I kept running into the same man who couldn't find his room either. :lmao:

My theory is that the kids meals are bland so that adults won't order off the children's menu... I could be wrong - I don't know :confused3

The kids' meals are the way they are because the kids' dining plan only costs $10.99 (soon to be $12.99) per night.

For awhile, they played with healthy kids' meals - anybody remember? Grilled meats, raw vegetables, fruit for dessert. There was such an uproar they switched back to "kid food" - mac and cheese, chicken nuggets, ice cream.

The one big thing I'd like for Disney to change is the 1-800 Number thing. They should really offer one!!

Does the lack of an 800 # keep you (not you personally, but the collective you) from calling? No. Therefore, there is no need for WDW to have a toll free #.

My only gripes would be service/training related. I've definitely seen a decline over the years. It seems like the number of CM's who take pride in their job is dwindling, and it's become "just a job."

Oh, one other thing I'd change: the computer sytem for making reservations. Whatever server they are using - it has issues.

I know that's part of why I wish they had an 800 number. I know they recently upgraded their system, and I'm sure it's huge undertaking, but I can't tell you how many times I've had to give Disney Cm's the same info. It also seems that EVERY time I call to book the CM on the other end of the line complains to ME about how slow their system is, while we wait for their reservation system to come up and show what rooms/dining are available.

I'm glad to see that we can now book dining online!

It is awful. Disney is a terrible terrible terrible place to visit. Do not waste your vacation $$ there. It is a complete rip off. Customer service is terrible, everything is overpriced, the place is filthy and disgusting, and the rides are crap. The place is falling apart, on one trip I watched an entire Country Bear show, with one of the bears missing an arm! The food is disgusting and there are huge waits for all of the restaurants. The hotel rooms are tiny for the price. Magic schmagic, there is no magic.

Universal is a much better deal, their parks are just as nice as Disney and the rides are better. Next year they are opening up Harry Potter! If you stay at a Universal resort you get front of the line privileges.

Stay away from Disney parks......esp in Sept from the 13th to the 19th, I hear Disney will be esp. terrible then, trust me, stay away.

Disney = Bad

:rotfl2:
I will be laughing at this for awhile

I think, no - I KNOW DIsney is always modifying things: sometimes they make it better for us, and sometimes they make it better for them. Often they do both.

I also know that lots of folks are working daily to make WDW a better place. I thank them.

I'm willing to bet nobody here even recalls that the walkway leading up to the resort monorail used to have poles running up the middle of the walkway. If you had a stroller or wheelchair you had to stay on one side, and forget holding hands as you went up the walkway. Eliminating the supports in the middle of the walkway makes walking through that area much easier.

We tend to notice the changes we don't like - and the more dramatic ones like adding DavyJones to Pirates. I doubt most people would notice something like brighter/better lighting in a gift shop.

Having said all that, the most dramatic thigns I've noticed is changes in the guests. People have become far more rude at WDW. I think they've become that way more in general. Folks are super-impatient nowadays. I wish that Disney could do more to improve the conduct of their guests. I can't fault Disney really. Maybe bringing back bus driver who talkto guests wouldbe a start. They could lecture guests on their conduct while they are stuck onthe bus. Or maybe Disney could create an audio track that was funny which accomplished the same thing: like a funny video that illustrates why you should hold the door behind you. I'm amazed at the simple things folks no longer do - like when you exit the monorail, there's a gate that springs shut if you let go of it. How simple is it to hold the gate for the person behind you? How few folks will do it nowadays? Most folks won't even hold it if there's a disabled guest behind them! There was a time when most folks held the gate for the folks behind them. Time was when very few folks would stop in the middle of a theater row, now it happens in every show!

One big thing I see that Disney needs to bring back is more restroom cleaners. Maybe folks have become bigger slobs, but the restrooms are not as clean as they used to be. I mostly love the automated units (except whenthe auto toilets stray me with toilet water. EWWWW!:scared1:

I also miss the bus drivers telling jokes and trivia. It's a shame they kind of pushed those folks out the door. Still, lots of kind bus drivers remain.

I wish more TS dining locations had walk up seating. I think it would be great if more restaurants reserved a small section for walk ups.

I also wish more rooms had better fridges. The ones they currently have are set on low, with no way to adjust them.

I'm also with you on the 800# - and they have the nerve to ask me to stay on the line for a survey! Won't matter so much when we all go to unlimited calling plans.

I think DAK used to have a book for kids that showed them how to properly behave using animal characters. One for adults would be good.

I LOVE disney but I hate that the parties are so expensive I cant afford to take my family! Im doing good to get there yearly or every couple of yrs. I dont like that Sept thru Dec is nothing but the parties so everyone else has to cut their park days short. I kind of understand the F! thing, maybe there wasnt a whole lot of ppl going to the nightly shows and thats why they cut them back. Everyone is cutting back, I dont like the price increases but.. everyone is increasing, its the way of the world. I am thankful for value resorts and free dining, its what makes my familys trips to WDW possible! In a time where I see car lots closed on many, many corners, restaurants our town has had for years closed, Im grateful for everything I have..

Disney = Bad

LOL I've tried this tactic, doesn't seem to work lol

I agree about the automated phone system, and rather than the auto-chick asking me the same questions everytime I call, once I say my call is for a current reservation or what ever and give my res.# just play some nice Disney music until a real live CM can talk to me.

The report of the rice krispie Mickey increasing in price at Goofy's is very dissapointing, our first night tradition is heading to DTD to get one or 2 of those and the preztel sticks.

As I posted in the other thread I am also not impressed with the lack of plus-sized t-shirts, especially for me. I have looked around when I am at WDW and I am far from the only large guy there.:laughing:

There are other things that I would fix if given the chance, but on the whole nothing I have experienced has even come close to messing up my vacation. A bad day at WDW is still better than a good day at work.

The only thing really stressed me out wasn't Disney's fault. First time we went, one day we lost the note we had made of where we parked. Didn't even give it a thought when I picked that silver rental car, Does anyone have any idea what percentage of cars in a Disney lot are silver, I don't ethier, but I can tell you that there are a whole bunch of them.:lmao:

I am going to have to go back to the special parties. For my trip in December I only have 2 nights that don't have MVMCP and one of those nights is the same day they are taping the ABC Christmas parade.

:laughing:
If Disney is doing everything wrong and Disney=Bad, exactly why are you going in September? You are still willing to spend your money there when you think it is horrible, so why would Disney change anything?

She was joking.......DUH:rotfl:

Yes, I got the fact that it was a joke when I reread it. I guess I was so irritated at how mean it was that I missed the joke. I am a huge Disney fan and I understand criticism and that some things have went downhill recently and I just misread her post. Sorry Sleeping Becca!

My exchange with Disney went like this:
When comparing resorts side by side the website shows that only Deluxe
Resorts have package delivery available. Have you change your policy in
this regard? Also, Value resorts do not show KTTW cards as being a perk
of staying there.

I am hoping this is a web oversite rather than a policy change.
Overall, I find the website to be a very poor source for Disney
information.

However, in all other areas...you exceed my expectations.
Sincerely,
Rosalie

They replied:
Thank you for contacting the Walt Disney World Resort.

You will be pleased to know that package delivery is available from all
our theme parks to all of our resorts. Please note that I called our
Value resorts and they said that the KTTW cards are no longer available.We hope while your visiting the Walt Disney World Resort that our
attractions and entertainment will delight you in every way Rosalie.

Knowing this is not true I wrote back:

Dear Disney,

I sent an email pointing out several errors on your web page and the
reply I received contained the same erroneous information.
Am I to believe that if I stay at a Value resort I can NOT have my room
key, park tickets and charging privileges all placed on one card???

And finally:

You will be happy to know that at all Walt Disney World Resorts, your
room key card will contain your theme park tickets, your dining option,
(if you chose one), and your charging privileges will be placed on one
card, if you choose to leave a credit card with the front desk.
each person will have her/his own room key card.

No acknowledgement that the first email was incorrect, just a "you'll be happy to know..." which I find funny because I already DID know!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter