DISCruise 1.0 - 8/24-8/31/2013 Royal Caribbean Cruise Oasis of the Seas

Hey Jen!!! Yours is the trip report i was talking about!!
Ever since reading your trip report on the Allure i've been itching to go on either the allure or the oasis!!

it's a fantastic trip report - well worth reading for anyone considering this cruise!!!!!! :thumbsup2

Aww, Thanks Beth! :goodvibes

If it really weren't the first week of school we would have gone for sure. We already have Allure booked again for 9/22/13. Can't wait!

And to be honest I wanted to try Oasis instead because I would LOVE to see Hairspray. But we wanted a Western next time. (I would do Eastern again to do the Dis cruise though).

Maybe the dates will change again.....:rotfl2: JUST Kidding John. ;)

I am glad to see so many people excited for this trip. I really am. So I hope the following doesn't make me sound too much like a wet blanket:

Why is this a "DIS" cruise? There's nothing Disney-related about it. Why not a "Dreams" cruise? Have Dreams and the DIS become so hand-in-glove that they are interchangeable?

I fully understand and appreciate Dreams staff sailing on Royal Caribbean so there's some first-hand experience with the RC ships and how they compare to DCL. However, I come to the Disney Information Station not because I love cruising, but because I love Disney. I really couldn't care less about an RC cruise.

This RC cruise with the DIS name attached to it just seems to dilute the DIS brand. Will we see a DIS cruise on Norwegian soon? Why not future DIS trips and meets at Knott's Berry Farm or Six Flags over Georgia?

I'm sorry if this sounds overly critical, and if there's something I'm missing, I apologize in advance. The Oasis looks like a beautiful ship and I'm sure everyone will have a great time. But I worry that further intermingling of Dreams stuff and DIS stuff will undercut what people love about this site so much.

If you are the trip report reading type, I invite you to check out my TR from Allure. The TR is very long, very detailed, with hundreds of pictures. Oh, and it's complete! ;) The only difference between Allure and Oasis are very minor theming differences and the shows and that Oasis has Seafood Shack not Rita's Cantina (and also does not have the Doghouse which Allure has)- otherwise the ships and experiences are identical.

Did you know that Oasis has character breakfasts? They are a lot of fun! We did two of them on Allure so you can see that in my TR also.

:) Jen

Jen, your TR is amazing! We clearly have a lot to learn about RC cruising (dining, etc...), and your TR is a great reference! We're coming from northern VA, and we're planning on flying into Ft. Lauderdale and taking a cab from the airport (or hotel if we fly in the night before) to the port. In your experience (and others should feel free to chime in!), are there things we should anticipate with regard to booster seats in taxis? DD5 and DD7 can both fly without seats, and we'd love to be able to leave them at home... One hurdle at a time. :)

XO
Liz

I am glad to see so many people excited for this trip. I really am. So I hope the following doesn't make me sound too much like a wet blanket:

Why is this a "DIS" cruise? There's nothing Disney-related about it. Why not a "Dreams" cruise? Have Dreams and the DIS become so hand-in-glove that they are interchangeable?

I fully understand and appreciate Dreams staff sailing on Royal Caribbean so there's some first-hand experience with the RC ships and how they compare to DCL. However, I come to the Disney Information Station not because I love cruising, but because I love Disney. I really couldn't care less about an RC cruise.

This RC cruise with the DIS name attached to it just seems to dilute the DIS brand. Will we see a DIS cruise on Norwegian soon? Why not future DIS trips and meets at Knott's Berry Farm or Six Flags over Georgia?

I'm sorry if this sounds overly critical, and if there's something I'm missing, I apologize in advance. The Oasis looks like a beautiful ship and I'm sure everyone will have a great time. But I worry that further intermingling of Dreams stuff and DIS stuff will undercut what people love about this site so much.

The reason we are calling this a DIS cruise is because all of our past Disney cruises have been Podcast Cruises and while the podcast team will be on this cruise as well we felt that we wanted to distinguish this particular cruise from those in some way.

This cruise will not be as Disney orientated as the Podcast Cruises so by not labeling it Podcast Cruise 5.0 we thought it might help people to see it a little differently than past cruises we have done.

The DIS and Dreams are very intertwined, always have been and probably always will be. Pete Werner is the founder and owner of these boards and also part owner of Dreams Unlimited Travel along with myself and Donna LeFever.

We make it very clear on the show that Pete and I are owners of Dreams Unlimited Travel and that some of the podcast team are agents or employees of Dreams Unlimited Travel as well.

As far as future cruises and future trips you never know where we might want to go. It just might be a Norwegian Cruise or a trip to Knotts Berry Farm. I personally don't see anything wrong with going other places and trying new things and sharing those things with people on the DISBoards.

I'm sorry of you feel that the relationship between Dreams Unlimited Travel and the DIS is going to undercut what you 'love about the boards'.

After reading your post I would like to know if you feel the same way about the fundraising efforts for Give Kids the World?

Just wondering!

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

After reading your post I would like to know if you feel the same way about the fundraising efforts for Give Kids the World?

Just wondering!

Carol
It's a great day to be alive!!!

Of course not. You're comparing apples and oranges.

1. GKTW is completely beyond the purview and control of Pete/John/Donna;
2. GKTW is a remarkably worthy charitable endeavor; and
3. GKTW does indeed send families to Disney World if they desire.

Jen, your TR is amazing! We clearly have a lot to learn about RC cruising (dining, etc...), and your TR is a great reference! We're coming from northern VA, and we're planning on flying into Ft. Lauderdale and taking a cab from the airport (or hotel if we fly in the night before) to the port. In your experience (and others should feel free to chime in!), are there things we should anticipate with regard to booster seats in taxis? DD5 and DD7 can both fly without seats, and we'd love to be able to leave them at home... One hurdle at a time. :)

XO
Liz

Thanks so much Liz, I'm glad you find it helpful!! :goodvibes

As far as boosters in taxis, that's a toughie for me since we live in Florida and rarely find the need to use a taxi down here. (I'm thinking...hard, and in fact I'm not sure we ever have! ;))

The carseat laws in Florida are as follows (from Sheriff.org:)

Florida law requires children under 5 years of age to be properly restrained no matter where they are seated in the vehicle. Children through age 3 must be secured in a separate carrier (child safety seat) or in a vehicle manufacturer's integrated child safety seat. For children ages 4 - 5, a separate carrier, an integrated child safety seat, or a safety belt may be used. If a safety belt does not fit the child correctly, a booster set should be used to correctly position the lap and shoulder belts once they outgrow forward facing child safety seats (generally at about 40 pounds and 4 years old). Children from approximately 40-80 pounds and under 4'9" in height should ride in a booster seat.

So they are not necessarily required for over age 3 as long as the seat belt "fits properly". Vague law.:headache:

So since technically children your age are not "required" to have seats (assuming the seat belts "fit") I'm not sure you will find it an easy venture to find a cab company that provides booster seats and or encourages their use. You may be able to find a taxi that will provide them, but you'd have to call around and it isn't likely any of the taxis loitering at the airport and/or cruise terminal will have boosters onhand.

So, it will be up to you, if you want to bring them down and use the boosters or leave them at home.:goodvibes

Just an FYI the airport is very close to the terminal area, as are many hotels. It is entirely possible depending on where you are staying that your ride could be very quick. Although it is FL....there are some crazy drivers down here.

I hope that is a little helpful!

Hope you have an AMAZING cruise, I think you will LOVE Oasis! :thumbsup2

:) Jen

The DIS and Dreams are very intertwined, always have been and probably always will be. Pete Werner is the founder and owner of these boards and also part owner of Dreams Unlimited Travel along with myself and Donna LeFever.

We make it very clear on the show that Pete and I are owners of Dreams Unlimited Travel and that some of the podcast team are agents or employees of Dreams Unlimited Travel as well.

I understand the relationship. You guys always make sure to disclose it during the show, to your high credit. But surely there's a reason you continue to call this site "the DIS" and the podcast "the DIS Unplugged" instead of just "Dreams" and "Dreams Unplugged", right?

As far as future cruises and future trips you never know where we might want to go. It just might be a Norwegian Cruise or a trip to Knotts Berry Farm. I personally don't see anything wrong with going other places and trying new things and sharing those things with people on the DISBoards.

I'm sorry of you feel that the relationship between Dreams Unlimited Travel and the DIS is going to undercut what you 'love about the boards'.

Please hear me out. I don't see anything wrong about the trip at all. Trying new things is terrific. And again, I truly hope and expect everyone to have a great time. It's more of a branding concern.

You, Pete and Donna are, of course, free to run your business as you see fit. In no way do I mean to imply otherwise.

But let's say you did start doing the KBF trip and the Norwegian cruise. And then Six Flags Over Georgia. And then Dollywood/Grand Ol' Opry. And so on. All branded as "DIS" trips of some variety.

Yes, I'm sure these would be great trips, but at what point do people start saying "The DIS really isn't a Disney site anymore. They hold (and plug) a lot of trips that have nothing at all to do with Disney."? I'm not saying we're at that point (or anywhere near it) right now, but where's the cutoff?

Thank you for having taken the time to read and respond to my previous post. I'm sure the cruise will be fantastic no matter what it's called. :)

I also think that the "DISCruise" name gives a bit of confusion, but it is our love of Disney that brings us together.

Adventures by Disney has tours to parts of the world that have nothing to do with Disney.

I am sure it will be a wonderful cruise seeing all of my DISer friends.

Personally, I'd call it "Notcast Cruise 1.0" :rotfl2:

I also think that the "DISCruise" name gives a bit of confusion, but it is our love of Disney that brings us together.

Adventures by Disney has tours to parts of the world that have nothing to do with Disney.

I am sure it will be a wonderful cruise seeing all of my DISer friends.

Personally, I'd call it "Notcast Cruise 1.0" :rotfl2:

We started off referring to this as NPCC 1.0 but again I wanted it to feel more inclusive to those who don't listen to the podcast. Even with saying NOT Podcast Cruise 1.0 might cause some folks to feel like they wouldn't be comfortable going if they didn't listen to the show.

The DIS portion refers to the site - not necessarily Disney - but I think you understand that.

I hope people can look past the name and join us if they want to.

I understand the relationship. You guys always make sure to disclose it during the show, to your high credit. But surely there's a reason you continue to call this site "the DIS" and the podcast "the DIS Unplugged" instead of just "Dreams" and "Dreams Unplugged", right?

Please hear me out. I don't see anything wrong about the trip at all. Trying new things is terrific. And again, I truly hope and expect everyone to have a great time. It's more of a branding concern.

You, Pete and Donna are, of course, free to run your business as you see fit. In no way do I mean to imply otherwise.

But let's say you did start doing the KBF trip and the Norwegian cruise. And then Six Flags Over Georgia. And then Dollywood/Grand Ol' Opry. And so on. All branded as "DIS" trips of some variety.

Yes, I'm sure these would be great trips, but at what point do people start saying "The DIS really isn't a Disney site anymore. They hold (and plug) a lot of trips that have nothing at all to do with Disney."? I'm not saying we're at that point (or anywhere near it) right now, but where's the cutoff?

Thank you for having taken the time to read and respond to my previous post. I'm sure the cruise will be fantastic no matter what it's called. :)

Soft drink giant Coca Cola sells tshirts. Is anyone confused by that?

Peugeot, the car company, sells pepper grinders. Anyone confused by that?

You should explore The Dis and see how many topics are not Disney related.

I'm fairly certain that folks will make the leap and understand that this is just a way for folks to travel together and try something new.

For all I care you can call it iCruseWithFriends_9.12 and it will still be a great trip with, hopefully, new friends.

Keep up the great ideas for new trips for us to meet up.

For all I care you can call it iCruseWithFriends_9.12 and it will still be a great trip with, hopefully, new friends.

I would steal that name but Corey would kill me when it came time to fit that on a logo :rotfl2:

DisneyKevin said:
Soft drink giant Coca Cola sells tshirts. Is anyone confused by that?

Peugeot, the car company, sells pepper grinders. Anyone confused by that?

You should explore The Dis and see how many topics are not Disney related.

I'm fairly certain that folks will make the leap and understand that this is just a way for folks to travel together and try something new.

I'm very familiar with the DIS. I've been listening to the podcast and on the boards much longer than my profile would indicate.

Your Coca-Cola and Peugot examples aren't quite analogous, as those entities are not leveraging another company's name.

Is there a leap required to see this cruise as a new way to travel together and try something new? Of course not.

And if the position is that "The DIS" no longer is just an acronym for "The Disney Information Station," and has acquired a secondary meaning all its own, that's fine. And a great testament to the board's success.

I'll just bet I wasn't the only person who heard about this cruise and thought to themselves, "How is this a *DIS* cruise?"

Nomenclature aside, I hope it's a great success for all involved.

squirk said:
I'm very familiar with the DIS. I've been listening to the podcast and on the boards much longer than my profile would indicate.

Your Coca-Cola and Peugot examples aren't quite analogous, as those entities are not leveraging another company's name.

Is there a leap required to see this cruise as a new way to travel together and try something new? Of course not.

And if the position is that "The DIS" no longer is just an acronym for "The Disney Information Station," and has acquired a secondary meaning all its own, that's fine. And a great testament to the board's success.

I'll just bet I wasn't the only person who heard about this cruise and thought to themselves, "How is this a *DIS* cruise?"

Nomenclature aside, I hope it's a great success for all involved.

So by this logic, all Universal and Sea World Information shouldn't be on the boards either. That would also mean that the DIS meet at WWoHP should not have been a DISapalosa event.

This is a DIS cruse because the owners of the DIS wanted to invite others on a trip with them and have events on it for DIS members.

Wimpy said:
So by this logic, all Universal and Sea World Information shouldn't be on the boards either. That would also mean that the DIS meet at WWoHP should not have been a DISapalosa event.

This is a DIS cruse because the owners of the DIS wanted to invite others on a trip with them and have events on it for DIS members.

You're answering my question above: regardless of how the name originated, the "DIS" is no longer solely the Disney Information Station. Despite the deliberate homonym, the DIS is a distinct brand in and of itself. And that's perfectly fine.

I'm sorry - I didn't mean for this to go into full "hijack" mode. I'll stop now.

Please enjoy the cruise!

Wow! What a busy board. Time for me to share....
I just booked the cruise with the fabulous Tracey! My next step is to book the pre- and post- hotel package and transfers. My destination is the OTS but the extras of the islands and fellow DIS cruisers are frosting on the cupcake.

yup - i'm cruising with friends!!! or i certainly hope i'll finally be cruising with friends!!

and that's exactly what "dis" means to me....friends who are as insane as i am!!! :goodvibes

it really doesn't matter to me what we're doing as long as it's together!! (yeah yeah, shoot me now,...i'm such a sap!! :eek:)

yup - i'm cruising with friends!!! or i certainly hope i'll finally be cruising with friends!!

and that's exactly what "dis" means to me....friends who are as insane as i am!!! :goodvibes

I'm know some people consider my insane, so you'll be in good company!

it really doesn't matter to me what we're doing as long as it's together!! (yeah yeah, shoot me now,...i'm such a sap!! :eek:)

Oh, now you're going to make me cry...just call me Teresa! ;)

This isn't an option for us, as our DGC will be in school! However, I was excited to see a Disboard cruise going on RCCL because we just booked a family cruise for nect summer on RCCL Freedom of the Seas, & I was worried just a bit about taking the DGC on a non DCL cruise. You're expecting families, so here's hoping all families have a great time, on your cruise & ours!

Bobbi:boat:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!