Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

I'm sorry that our dates don't align. I know you're planning one later in the month and I was kinda hoping that my cousin would pick a weekend closer to the end of the month. Oh well. Next time.

It's okay. Our dates aren't align just yet but I can see if I have time in October to make a last second trip.

I have a plan trip in mid November during the Christmas season at the DLR and just a couple of days ago DAW and I are planning a quick Halloween trip in September.

Sounds like you got everything ready for your trip in a couple of months. Hope DS passport gets process quickly.

Sounds like you're getting pretty organised :thumbsup2

2 months should be plenty of time for DS's passport to be processed, but you can always pay the priority processing fee if you're nervous (like me :rotfl:). DH even managed to get his done same day (the time when he lost his :rolleyes:).

That sounds like a huge PITA, but I think I say that every time when you list all the paperwork that needs to be filled out for an Aussie Foreign trip. What happens when people need to make REAL last minute trips abroad? :confused3

I can't believe we won't be around the whole time you're in CA. :sad:

I'm sure you all will have a great time anyway. :thumbsup2

It's okay. Our dates aren't align just yet but I can see if I have time in October to make a last second trip.

I have a plan trip in mid November during the Christmas season at the DLR and just a couple of days ago DAW and I are planning a quick Halloween trip in September.

Sounds like you got everything ready for your trip in a couple of months. Hope DS passport gets process quickly.

I like the use of the word...."yet". Let's see if we get alignment. ;)

Sounds like you're getting pretty organised :thumbsup2

2 months should be plenty of time for DS's passport to be processed, but you can always pay the priority processing fee if you're nervous (like me :rotfl:). DH even managed to get his done same day (the time when he lost his :rolleyes:).

We have the appointment with the post office tomorrow to submit the application. Hopefully we will have a nice new passport in a couple of weeks.

That sounds like a huge PITA, but I think I say that every time when you list all the paperwork that needs to be filled out for an Aussie Foreign trip. What happens when people need to make REAL last minute trips abroad? :confused3

If it weren't for DS' passport, I could have had everything completed in a day. ESTA is just a PITA when it expires. But once you do it, it's valid for 2 years. We were just unlucky that both DH and mine were at the 2 year mark and we had to reapply.

I can't believe we won't be around the whole time you're in CA. :sad:

I'm sure you all will have a great time anyway. :thumbsup2

Dang! But then....you'll be having a great time elsewhere, won't you? I'll probably text you or something once I get my new US service.

PrincessInOz said:
Dang! But then....you'll be having a great time elsewhere, won't you? I'll probably text you or something once I get my new US service.
Yes we'll be in the S. Caribbean. We'll get home in time to wish you a safe trip home.

Honest.to.Goodness.Plans.

It's less than 6 weeks to go!

I've been scheming and planning to work out our plans for this Mad Dash with DH. I suspect that S-H-O-P-P-I-N-G might feature greatly in this trip given the list of things DH has on his must-do's. And there are a fair number of things that he wants to see if he can get. Not that I'm complaining; but that probably means less photography than normal for us to enjoy.
Nevertheless, the trade-off for having to go shopping with DH is that I get a day and the half at the Happiest Place on Earth. :cool1:

So right now, our plans are as follows.

Friday, 10 October.

Travel: Fly Melbourne to Los Angeles. We pick up our car hire from LAX and head down towards San Diego way.

Accommodation: 3 bedroom vacation rental. I found this house within spitting distance of where my aunt lives. Who knew? It works out to be the same or maybe just a little cheaper than staying in a hotel in the area but we have heaps of space to spread out in.

Sightseeing: Visiting with family is the order of the day. I'm going to need to hit an AT&T store to get myself set up with US phone service. After that, there will be a few people (you know who you are) that might get spammed with a text message from me.​

Saturday, 11 October - Monday, 13 October.

Travel: Have hire car, will drive. Around San Diego.

Accommodation: We will be in the vacation rental.

Sightseeing: Wedding celebration will take precedence during this weekend. We got the formal invitation to the wedding celebration in the mail last week and I've gone on-line to check out the venues. Despite my cousin telling me that we can wear smart casual, it smells-like and looks-like an elegant affair. I'm going to need to pack something dressy in my bag. Catching up with family will also be on the plans.

DH wants to go to farmer's markets, music shops, Fry's and/or Best Buys, GameStop, Factory Outlets, catching some live music and I suspect he has any number of other man-cave type shops to hit that he hasn't told me about. About the only other thing I have on my list is a return visit to the San Diego Zoo. If we don't make it to the zoo, that's fine with me too.​

Tuesday, 14 October - Wednesday, 15 October.

Travel: Drive from San Diego way to Anaheim.

Accommodation: Move to Anaheim and check in to one of the good-neighbour hotels.

Sightseeing: Today will involve DisMeeting with mvf-m11c and his DAF at the Disneyland Halloween Party. We bought tickets to the DHP and won't be able to enter the park until after 3 pm. I suspect we...er...I may well be spending time at Downtown Disney catching up on the merchandise if we get into Anaheim early. Come to think of it, I'll need to work out with mvf-m11c where to meet him.

We'll also spend Wednesday in the parks with mvf-m11c and his DAF. I think that franandaj will be able to catch up with us in the parks today.​

Thursday, 16 October - Friday, 17 October.

Travel: Drive from Anaheim to Long Beach.

Accommodation: Staying with franandaj in the Kitty Vacation Club (KVC). Franandaj has been incredibly generous to offer us a room in Casa Neuva. The last time I was there, they hadn't moved in yet. I'm really looking forward to seeing the place with their furniture in it.

Sightseeing: Visiting with franandaj is the order of the days here! We have two full dinners to plan for (what fun!). I think we will be eating out one night and having a leisurely cook-in on the other night. We haven’t quite worked out what we will cooking yet but I’m sure that by the time we need to grocery shop, we will have worked it out.​

Saturday, 18 October - Sunday, 19 October.

Travel: Drive from Long Beach to Los Angeles.

Accommodation: Staying at a cheap hotel around the LAX area. This was the hardest accommodation for me to figure out. I did look at the Loews Hollywood Hotel that we stayed at last time (the prices are crazy this year) and a whole bunch of other places anywhere from Malibu down and towards Pasadena. In the end, DH and I came to the pragmatic decision that we would like to have a shower before we boarded the plane on Sunday. That meant a hotel near the airport.

Sightseeing: I really need to think about what we could go-see on the Saturday. DH mentioned hitting the Camarillo Outlets at some stage so it might be something that we could consider for the Saturday. About the only firm plans that we have for these two days is on the Sunday afternoon. Franandaj has invited us to their band/orchestra concert. Actually, I think I invited ourselves when she mentioned that they would be performing. I’m really looking forward to going to see them live in action. We should have time after the concert to head back to the hotel, grab showers and drop off the car. In between all of that, we'll need to grab a bite to eat.​

That's about the extent of my plans for this trip. After the planned-to-the-minute trip last October, it is really refreshing to have loads of blank spaces and nothing more than catching up with family and friends; and shopping planned for this trip!

princess::upsidedow

Cool to see your plans in cyber ink! It sounds like you will have had plenty of time to chillax from your flight before the Disney portion of the trip kicks in.

Two corrections to the portion in which I play a role.

We have renamed the Olga Vacation Club to the Kitty Vacation Club. As her life is finite we don't want a bittersweet feeling when guests "cash in their points". We know we will always have kitties so someone will always be happy to come snuggle with guests.

Also we call it Casa Nueva. Though I haven't studied Spanish and Casa is probably a masculine noun, the owners of said Casa are feminine so I prefer using the feminine form of the adjective even if it may not be grammatically correct. :teeth:

The three bedroom house sounds great. I hope your DH is a little bit more receptive to the idea of fixing a quick breakfast at home after your Sydney trip. I find that as a big time and money saver. I'm sure you'll find plenty of big box type stores like your DH is looking for to shop at. Would you like some suitcases to take your loot home in? We have three suitcases that will be sold at our estate sale when we finally get all moved out of the old house. Two of them we bought at the Goodwill in Indiana to get all our new found loot home from that trip. They only cost us $5 for the pair, so keep it in mind.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Cool to see your plans in cyber ink! It sounds like you will have had plenty of time to chillax from your flight before the Disney portion of the trip kicks in.

Two corrections to the portion in which I play a role.

We have renamed the Olga Vacation Club to the Kitty Vacation Club. As her life is finite we don't want a bittersweet feeling when guests "cash in their points". We know we will always have kitties so someone will always be happy to come snuggle with guests.

Also we call it Casa Nueva. Though I haven't studied Spanish and Casa is probably a masculine noun, the owners of said Casa are feminine so I prefer using the feminine form of the adjective even if it may not be grammatically correct. :teeth:

Okay. I've amended my post to correct for the errors. :thumbsup2

The three bedroom house sounds great. I hope your DH is a little bit more receptive to the idea of fixing a quick breakfast at home after your Sydney trip. I find that as a big time and money saver.

DH just wanted some down time for the Sydney trip. Normally, DH likes fixing breakfast at 'home'. Because I leave work so early, DH is the breakfast fixer for DS and to give you an idea of his breakfast range, I believe the breakfast rotation at home includes oatmeal, toast and cereal, pancakes, bacon and eggs on toast, french toast, croissants.

I'm happy to fix breakfast at the house but we might head out for breakfast on one of the mornings we are there.

I'm sure you'll find plenty of big box type stores like your DH is looking for to shop at. Would you like some suitcases to take your loot home in? We have three suitcases that will be sold at our estate sale when we finally get all moved out of the old house. Two of them we bought at the Goodwill in Indiana to get all our new found loot home from that trip. They only cost us $5 for the pair, so keep it in mind.

Looking forward to seeing you again!

Suitcases? I think it might actually be on our list to buy new suitcases. The ones we have are well-travelled and we might have to take a look at some whilst we are there. But I'll keep your offer in mind. Thank you.

Your plans look wonderful!

I like KVC. Has a nice ring to it.

How fun you'll get to see A&F in band action. :woohoo:

Nice to see your itinerary during your visit and it looks busy with all the different places to go and do.

We are looking forward to the trip next month.

The adventures continue!!:goodvibes

always luv yer pictures -:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

CAN'T WAIT -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

Okay. I've amended my post to correct for the errors. :thumbsup2

Thanks! You didn't need to do that, but cool!

DH just wanted some down time for the Sydney trip. Normally, DH likes fixing breakfast at 'home'. Because I leave work so early, DH is the breakfast fixer for DS and to give you an idea of his breakfast range, I believe the breakfast rotation at home includes oatmeal, toast and cereal, pancakes, bacon and eggs on toast, french toast, croissants.

I'm happy to fix breakfast at the house but we might head out for breakfast on one of the mornings we are there.

I certainly would expect that you would get out at least once or more for a good American Breakfast! It just gets tedious for us when we have to do it every day, unless it is included in the hotel. Otherwise, I end up starving for the morning until we get to a restaurant. If you were in San Diego proper, I would have a recommendation, but I don't think you want to drive that far just for breakfast.

:eek: How early do you have to leave for work on the days you go in the office? :confused3

Suitcases? I think it might actually be on our list to buy new suitcases. The ones we have are well-travelled and we might have to take a look at some whilst we are there. But I'll keep your offer in mind. Thank you.

We have gone through quite a few of our good suitcases in the last couple months, they have finally disintegrated (mostly the wheels). But luckily Fran has picked up quite a few at garage sales that are in good shape and are good quality. I just thought in case you needed some give away suitcases to get home we have a few. They were good enough to get our stuff home, but not good enough that I wanted to keep them for future trips.

Your plans look wonderful!

I like KVC. Has a nice ring to it.

How fun you'll get to see A&F in band action. :woohoo:

Thanks. I'm starting to get excited.
I'm really looking forward to seeing the band in action.

Nice to see your itinerary during your visit and it looks busy with all the different places to go and do.

We are looking forward to the trip next month.

I'm looking forward to catching up with you again and meeting your aunt. :cool1:

Lo-o-o-oking good!

:teeth:

The adventures continue!!:goodvibes

always luv yer pictures -:thumbsup2:thumbsup2

CAN'T WAIT -

T.T.F.N.
&
CHEERS Y'ALL:wave2:

Thanks Kris. Hope you've been well.

Your plans are coming along nicely.:thumbsup2

Thanks.

Thanks! You didn't need to do that, but cool!

I certainly would expect that you would get out at least once or more for a good American Breakfast! It just gets tedious for us when we have to do it every day, unless it is included in the hotel. Otherwise, I end up starving for the morning until we get to a restaurant. If you were in San Diego proper, I would have a recommendation, but I don't think you want to drive that far just for breakfast.

:eek: How early do you have to leave for work on the days you go in the office? :confused3

I'm usually gone by 7 am. This way, I avoid peak hour traffic and it means that I can *pretend* that I can leave early. :rotfl2:

We have gone through quite a few of our good suitcases in the last couple months, they have finally disintegrated (mostly the wheels). But luckily Fran has picked up quite a few at garage sales that are in good shape and are good quality. I just thought in case you needed some give away suitcases to get home we have a few. They were good enough to get our stuff home, but not good enough that I wanted to keep them for future trips.

We tend to abuse our suitcases hard as well. I will keep it in mind. We may well need a giveaway. It just depends on how much we shop on this trip. Thanks.

i was texting with Alison and I didn't think I was subscribed to this. I am officially losing it. Promise Disney loving friends, when I am fully dx with dementia, you'll make sure my family still takes me to Disneyland! :goodvibes

i was texting with Alison and I didn't think I was subscribed to this. I am officially losing it. Promise Disney loving friends, when I am fully dx with dementia, you'll make sure my family still takes me to Disneyland! :goodvibes

YAY! You're here. Thanks for subbing in. I think we will all remember to go to Disney. No. matter. what. :thumbsup2

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter