Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

I think with only 1 real day at DLR you definitely a short must-do list. Yours looks great and is also along the same lines mine would be :thumbsup2 Will be interesting to see how you go on your own. I'm on my own from Paris to Melbourne via HK for 2 nights, and I'm kind of excited and kind of terrified :lmao:

I'm really looking forward to reading the SF part of your TR. Especially the Walt Disney Family Museum, and Suasalito if you go there. It looked so pretty, but with only 2 days in SF we didn't get a chance to go.

What a fun trip you've got planned. I've only read your itinerary page so far. I agree that with a day at DL/DCA your must dos sound totally doable. :woohoo:

I've got a friend who lives in SF who writes a really cool blog appropriately named: the Disney project. His name is Keith. You should check it out.

Thanks for the plans! I'm a very linear person and it helps me to wrap my head around the whole thing! Once you leave, you can do what you want in any order. I just like to have my part figured out! :thumbsup2

And of course we can throw the whole plan out the window, like if RSR goes down that morning. :headache:

Also keep in mind that there are Magic Mornings at DCA the morning we are there, even if you aren't a hotel guest, they let everyone into the park to start queueing up for the RSR FPs. We should probably ask on the DL boards about a week prior if they still have the crazy lines like they did last summer.

I'm hoping before you crash that my Shabu shabu place will have opened and we can go out and enjoy a nice meal there. If not there are tons of other great places we can enjoy.

As for Nothern Cal, one place I particularly enjoy is visiting the Ridge Winery in Cupertino. I like to go there for the wine tasting, but also the spectacular view of the South Bay. I don't have any pictures to post, but it's also a nice drive up the mountain...

Your plans sound great and you'll have a nice week unwinding from all the stress of work and your daily routine!

I'll remember to stay flexible with CarsLand. Completely forgot that RSR does break down.

And I'll check out Ridge Winery on the internet. Might be someplace to head towards....

Of course, I am last to get in the PTR! Better late than never! Everything sounds good so far!

The main thing is....You made it! Thank you.

I am so excited to see you again. I am sure we will all have a great time!

I am counting on us having a great time.

The pre-trip report looks good. Can't wait to meet you and the rest of the DISers that day.

It promises to be a fun day!

I think with only 1 real day at DLR you definitely a short must-do list. Yours looks great and is also along the same lines mine would be :thumbsup2 Will be interesting to see how you go on your own. I'm on my own from Paris to Melbourne via HK for 2 nights, and I'm kind of excited and kind of terrified :lmao:

I'm really looking forward to reading the SF part of your TR. Especially the Walt Disney Family Museum, and Suasalito if you go there. It looked so
pretty, but with only 2 days in SF we didn't get a chance to go.

I'll keep this in mind. Not sure how much sight seeing I'll do around SF...but I'll find out!

What a fun trip you've got planned. I've only read your itinerary page so far. I agree that with a day at DL/DCA your must dos sound totally doable. :woohoo:

I've got a friend who lives in SF who writes a really cool blog appropriately named: the Disney project. His name is Keith. You should check it out.

Thanks for stopping by!

I'll check out the blog. And if you've read the itinerary page, you're pretty much all caught up on this trip. :thumbsup2

The Double Waa-aah Mummy

So I guess I should mention that one member of the family that is being left behind. Afterall, were such bad parents&.we get to go on this trip together and live it up&.like the days B.C. (before child), right?

What on earth is DS12 going to be doing and how can we be leaving him home alone?

Before anyone calls the Child Protection Agencies; consider this.
This is definitely a case of Waa-aah Mummy....or more appropriately....Mummy goes Waa-aah!

The First Waa-aah Mummy

When we....er....I was first planning the tag-along, I did ask DS if he wanted to go. Afterall, the week of the Melbourne Cup is traditionally one where most of the schools try to wrangle the Monday before the Tuesday Cup Day public holiday as a curriculum day or a student free day or a training day. Yes&.it becomes a 4-day weekend&.for the students.

And because everyone is so worn out from the weekend schedule, the rest of the week is pretty much laid back and not much happens.

I told DS what I was thinking and to my surprise......He. Did. Not. Want. To. Go.

Let me repeat that again....DS, who is 12, and completely capable of making his own decisions.

He. Did. Not. Want. To. Go.

His excuse...er.....reason? "I dont want to miss out on school!!!!!"
(Translation = I want to stay home and have a long weekend playing on the computer and skyping with my friends!)

Waa-aah (went) Mummy!

The Second Waa-aah Mummy

Completely lured by CarsLand and with Lightning in my eyes, I booked the trip to fly out a couple of days earlier than DH so that I could sneak in one day at DLR to check out the newish Land.

Well..... I didnt check the social calendar when I was planning this trip. So. Unlike. Me.

DS has a school production that he is appearing in during that two day layover Im having in LA.
Im going to be missing out on him being on stage. I'll be trading the opportunity to see him tripping the Light Fantastic on the Boards with me tripping to see Lightning McQueen!

Waa-aah (went) Mummy!

DS reaction? Thats okay Mum. Dad will be there.

Ouch! Double Waa-aah-me Mummy! And Game, Set and Match to DS!

I don't think that DS will be getting a souvenir from DL. Do you?

princess::upsidedow

p.s. For the record, DS will be living it up at home. Turns out that he conned...er....sweet talked one of the grandoldies to come and stay here with him. We will make up the spare bed and he gets to maintain his routine....and internet!

The Three-legged Dilemma

I’ve been wrestling with a little dilemma for the last few days and am hoping that those of you reading this (or lurking) will help me by providing your input and viewpoint.

My dilemma goes like this:

I want to travel light on this trip and had already decided to leave my tripod at home. Afterall, I am heading to San Francisco for most of this trip and do not anticipate needing that three-legged pole in the bay city.

I had weighed this up in light of the fact that I will have one day at DLR….one day….and whilst I anticipate being awake enough to last for World of Colour, there really isn’t any guarantees of this. And I don’t believe that you’re not allowed to set up a tripod at the WoC viewing site anyway.

It really is a short mad dash to DL this trip and I am planning on heading back to DLR in Sep 2013 and will be spending at least 2 days/nights in the parks. I had originally thought this would be the better time to bring the tripod for night shots.

The flaw in my decision making?

I had completely forgotten that CarsLand is beautifully lit up at night. Plus, if you’ve been hanging out on I’m Mikey’s TR, you will have seen the how gorgeous a long exposure shot can be in CarsLand. Whilst I don't claim to be able to get as gorgeous shots as I'm Mikey, it might be nice to be able to have the opportunity to try!

So…..do I bring my tripod for potentially one night’s shooting? Or do I leave it behind?

princess::upsidedow

I was explaining your dilemma to Fran, and she said "why doesn't she just use ours?" I have two fairly modern ones (meaning later than 2001). I had one from circa 1950's, but that one broke. I replaced it with one that I got at a garage sale for $7. My other one we bought new in 2003 when we got our first video camera to tape the band.

I was explaining your dilemma to Fran, and she said "why doesn't she just use ours?" I have two fairly modern ones (meaning later than 2001). I had one from circa 1950's, but that one broke. I replaced it with one that I got at a garage sale for $7. My other one we bought new in 2003 when we got our first video camera to tape the band.

That is an option I hadn't considered and please thank Fran.

Sorry it took me this long to join the report.

I personally would leave the tripod at home. I don't like being weighed down by equipment. Look at I'm Mikey's shot of Carsland at night. He placed his camera on a trash can to get that shot. Be creative and leave that 3 legged monster at home.

Alright now I need to go back and start this report from the beginning. Are there any Cliff's Notes?

Sorry it took me this long to join the report.

I personally would leave the tripod at home. I don't like being weighed down by equipment. Look at I'm Mikey's shot of Carsland at night. He placed his camera on a trash can to get that shot. Be creative and leave that 3 legged monster at home.

Alright now I need to go back and start this report from the beginning. Are there any Cliff's Notes?

Don't start right at the beginning....it will be my PTR/TR from Jan 2011. But there will be quick links in the second post if you want to scan quickly.

Cliff Notes for this trip??

I'm going to CarsLand. :cheer2: :cheer2:

ETA. I didn't realise that Mikey used a trashcan for his shot. I've certainly done the same in the past; but thought he'd scoped out a prime position to place a tripod. Okay. That makes a HUGE difference to know that.

ETA. I didn't realise that Mikey used a trashcan for his shot. I've certainly done the same in the past; but thought he'd scoped out a prime position to place a tripod. Okay. That makes a HUGE difference to know that.

Still, maybe I SHOULD take the scooter. Today we went and looked at "Pre-Owned" Cars. Just the walking that I did on the dealer's lot has made my feet hurt. I think I might want the scooter that day. I can't afford to be crippled for the next 2-3 days after you leave.

We have a BIG bag that goes on the back and it fits lots of stuff, so you can use one of my tripods and we'll put it in the scooter bag. You'd be surprised what it holds. It's almost as good as Hermione's bag.

I'm sure you're DS is going to enjoy his time with the DGP and be spoiled rotten by the time your get home.

Your trip will be here soon.:thumbsup2

Hi Princess, Thanks for cueing me! Your plans are great! Too bad you only get one day in DLR! :sad1:

I will be in DLR on the day that you will be there! Here are the crowd levels for Friday, Nov. 2

DLP 9:00 - 11:00 Crowd 3.2
DCA 10:00 - 9:00 Crowd 3.6

My priority for the day is to see Fantasmic! at either 9:00 or 10:15.

As far as the tripod. I have a little (12 inch) "gorilla" grip tripod that I bring with me. It sits on tables, wraps around railings and sits comfortably on the handle bars of the electric wheel chair I will be renting.

I saw "I'm Mickey"'s photos of Carsland!!! My DisCousin went out and bought a new camera today he has been so inspired by I'm Mickey! :rotfl: I didn't know he put his camera on a trash can for those shots! :laughing:

Just like you said that you shouldn't bring your tripod during the trip unless you bring a very light one. You also could consider a monopod. You already know me that I would bring my tripod to the parks during the nighttime show. Another idea is to get a locker at the resort and get it anytime you need it during the day.

Hi Princess, Thanks for cueing me! Your plans are great! Too bad you only get one day in DLR! :sad1:

I will be in DLR on the day that you will be there! Here are the crowd levels for Friday, Nov. 2

As far as the tripod. I have a little (12 inch) "gorilla" grip tripod that I bring with me. It sits on tables, wraps around railings and sits comfortably on the handle bars of the electric wheel chair I will be renting.

I saw "I'm Mickey"'s photos of Carsland!!! My DisCousin went out and bought a new camera today he has been so inspired by I'm Mickey! :rotfl: I didn't know he put his camera on a trash can for those shots! :laughing:

I'm not sure what the crowd level indicators mean, but perhpas the three of us should meet up for a moment to say "Hi". I've really wanted to play "where in the...." but my time has become so thinly spread and Mel keeps guessing all the DL answers I just wasn't able to play any longer....perhaps if time works out maybe we could say "hi".

Still, maybe I SHOULD take the scooter. Today we went and looked at "Pre-Owned" Cars. Just the walking that I did on the dealer's lot has made my feet hurt. I think I might want the scooter that day. I can't afford to be crippled for the next 2-3 days after you leave.

We have a BIG bag that goes on the back and it fits lots of stuff, so you can use one of my tripods and we'll put it in the scooter bag. You'd be surprised what it holds. It's almost as good as Hermione's bag.

I think that you should take the scooter for yourself if that's what will be easiest for you.

Given what KCMike posted, I think I'm going to leave my tripod behind. And there is the option for me to borrow one of yours. We'll just see. I suspect that I'll be wanting to travel light and just use whatever is in the park if I want to go with a long exposure shot.

I'm sure you're DS is going to enjoy his time with the DGP and be spoiled rotten by the time your get home.

Your trip will be here soon.:thumbsup2

Aside from being here soon, we'll be meeting F2F! :cheer2:

Can't wait!

Denise - thanks for taking the time to follow the breadcrumbs.

What a bonus! Are you going to be there at the same time? Seriously? :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Are those crowd levels low numbers? I'm guessing so. :thumbsup2

Just like you said that you shouldn't bring your tripod during the trip unless you bring a very light one. You also could consider a monopod. You already know me that I would bring my tripod to the parks during the nighttime show. Another idea is to get a locker at the resort and get it anytime you need it during the day.

Bret - My tripod is one that has a monopod built in. But for the long exposure shots, I really wouldn't use the monopod.
If I were going to be longer at DLR, I would definitely bring it. But most of this trip is going to be in NorCal and it will take up space and weight in the luggage.

I'll see how I go this time without it. I'll definitely be bringing it in Oct 2013.

I'm not sure what the crowd level indicators mean, but perhpas the three of us should meet up for a moment to say "Hi". I've really wanted to play "where in the...." but my time has become so thinly spread and Mel keeps guessing all the DL answers I just wasn't able to play any longer....perhaps if time works out maybe we could say "hi".

I agree. We should try to find a time to meet up with Denise.

Bret - My tripod is one that has a monopod built in. But for the long exposure shots, I really wouldn't use the monopod.
If I were going to be longer at DLR, I would definitely bring it. But most of this trip is going to be in NorCal and it will take up space and weight in the luggage.

I'll see how I go this time without it. I'll definitely be bringing it in Oct 2013.

I see. Using a monopod won't do for long exposure shots since you can't move it. I do have a tripod that has a monopod built in it. I never took that combo tripod in the park since it is so heavy while a mid size one is perfect for me for the shows. That makes sense for you not to bring a tripod since it will take up luggage space. I am planning on bringing my tripod to WDW in a couple of weeks for the nighttime shows. You are correct that bringing a tripod takes about 1/4 of my traveling bag.

Can't wait to hear from you of how the pictures turn out without the tripod.

I see. Using a monopod won't do for long exposure shots since you can't move it. I do have a tripod that has a monopod built in it. I never took that combo tripod in the park since it is so heavy while a mid size one is perfect for me for the shows. That makes sense for you not to bring a tripod since it will take up luggage space. I am planning on bringing my tripod to WDW in a couple of weeks for the nighttime shows. You are correct that bringing a tripod takes about 1/4 of my traveling bag.

Can't wait to hear from you of how the pictures turn out without the tripod.

Bret - Given our current plans, you'll probably get to see them in situ when we DisMeet. :cool1:

Denise - thanks for taking the time to follow the breadcrumbs.

What a bonus! Are you going to be there at the same time? Seriously? :cheer2: :cheer2: :cheer2:

Are those crowd levels low numbers? I'm guessing so. :thumbsup2

I agree. We should try to find a time to meet up with Denise.

Yes! I am leaving 2 weeks from tomorrow to drive down. :yay: 2 nights 3 days on the road. So, I will arrive on Tuesday, Oct. 30th. I am going with my cousin. We are going to the Halloween party on Halloween night as our favorite dwarfs, Dopey and Grumpy. :goodvibes

We will be there until we leave on Monday, Nov. 5th. And, your one day is Friday, Nov. 2, if I remember correctly. And we were planning to hit the parks that day. It would me nice to meet at least for a moment!! :yay:

The numbers; 3.2 and 3.6 are from Touringplans.com and are based on a maximum of 10. So crowd levels of 3.2 and 3.6 are pretty good! Only a third of maximum.

Oh, and please stop by Where in the Land again. Mel has quit doing that!! :furious: She realized everyone quit playing and has even PM'd me saying we should put on easier puzzles to encourage more people to play!!! :) So, please give it another try sometime.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter