Discovering Another Mad Dash (Oct 14): Heading Home and Finally finishing this TR #1523 (05/03)

The view over the Harbour was beautiful and seeing the photos reminded me of the great sunrises and sunsets we saw on our cruise.

I had forgotten how pretty Monterey is. Looking forward to reading more. Oh and I also second the motion for a post of the magnet you bought please!

Great new update. You really lucked out with the car. It is a shame that DH needs to work now, but I guess that was the whole reason for the trip in the first place so it can't be helped.

By the way, poached eggs are my favourites :thumbsup2

Not to hijack your TR with egg preferences, but that's why I ordered them over easy, but only if I have toast & bacon, the kind in your picture. I haven't had Aussie bacon to know if I like it, and certainly have NOT had Kangaroo bacon! :rotfl2:

:rotfl: One of these days, Kimmar and I are just going to have to meet face to face.

I don't think that they make Kangaroo bacon. It's just what she calls the Aussie bacon, which is cut to include both the belly pork rasher and the back bacon.

I'm sure if you ask real nice she will send you some.:lmao:

:scratchin I need to find out if there is such a thing as Kangaroo bacon :lmao:

The view over the Harbour was beautiful and seeing the photos reminded me of the great sunrises and sunsets we saw on our cruise.

I had forgotten how pretty Monterey is. Looking forward to reading more. Oh and I also second the motion for a post of the magnet you bought please!

Oh no! It really is a tacky magnet. I'll take a picture and post when I can.

:rotfl: Yes, I hit the Dis Twilight Zone. :rolleyes2

:surfweb:

Great new update. You really lucked out with the car. It is a shame that DH needs to work now, but I guess that was the whole reason for the trip in the first place so it can't be helped.

By the way, poached eggs are my favourites :thumbsup2

You know - it's nice to have DH around; but DS and I really enjoy our San Francisco days together. And then we can catch up again as a family at night with DH.

Half Moon Bay

After two days on the road and finally getting to Silicon Valley, I was deep in DreamLand when the alarm rudely went off at 6.40 am.
DH was back in full work mode and he had an early start, as his meeting kick-off was 8 am.

His alarm had woken DS as well; so, with no chance of a sleep-in, we got up, got ready and I faced the perplexing conundrum of….

What the heck were DS and I going to do today?

In any event, DS and I decided to join DH for an early breakfast and send him off to work properly.

Unfortunately, there were a number of DH’s work colleagues at the breakfast room and I didn’t want to embarrass DH; so I chose to eat breakfast rather than shoot it.

After breakfast, we said our goodbyes and headed back to our room. It hadn’t gone 8 am yet and I knew better than to rush out into Silicon Valley peak car parking period on the 101 going no where fast. We hung around the room for a while and when I figured it was safe enough, DS and I headed out.

We had decided to go to our favourite beach in this part of the world….Half Moon Bay State Beach - specifically Francis Beach. It takes us about 40 minutes to drive over the Coast Range to this beach.

USAHolidayJan2011105.jpg

The beach never disappoints; whatever season or weather conditions I’ve gone in, particularly if you are looking for a bit of solitute. The only issue I have recently had with the outing is the $10 parking fee that the State Park charges for the pleasure. It used to be $5 not that long ago. But today was not a day I was going to quibble about parking fees given that we had not yet paid for parking for any of the stops we have made along the Cabrillo (I was just following the rest of the pack and watching what the others had done). I’m a firm believer in Karma. I figured I was happy to pay $10 parking for this entire trip duration and was relatively guilt-free about all the other times (and times to come) that I hadn’t coughed up any dough.

USAHolidayJan2011106.jpg

Whilst it was a beautiful day, it wasn’t quite ocean swimming weather. We rolled up our pants and took off our socks and shoes and headed for the surf. We messed about on the beach, building sand clumps and jumping the waves. I figured that the temperatures must have been in the high teens, pushing the low 20’s….er…that’s in Celsius….about low 70’s Farenheit.

We had a ball playing footsies with the surf and although we did find that the occasional high roller got the better of us, by and large, our clothes remained dry.

It must have taken all over 20 minutes before anyone else showed up on the beach. And then I noticed something else….

USAHolidayJan2011109.jpg

…. I had spotted a couple of surfers in the ocean and that was enough for me to resume my favourite activity – stalking – because I needed a picture for wipeout!

So, I left DS to mess about and set up shop with the camera.

I was thankful that I picked up the camera when I did because this group of beautiful Brown Pelicans happened to be flying by in unison.

USAHolidayJan2011110.jpg

The Brown Pelicans are the smallest in the pelican family. Like a lot of birds in this part of the world, they were driven to near extinction in the 70’s from the use of DDT and Dieldrin. I was happy to see them as this species is once again thriving in their native environment.

USAHolidayJan2011111.jpg

As the pelicans flew off in search of prey, I patiently waited for one of the surfer dudes, my prey, to catch a wave.

It turns out that the waves weren’t of the sort the strong silent surfer dudes wanted to catch at all. One of them spent a long time fishtailing into the rollers; whilst the other gave me a neck crick watching him paddling backwards and forwards in the ocean. I could see my chance of a wipeout evaporating in the wind.

USAHolidayJan2011118.jpg

In the end, I waited for over an hour. DS had happily played in the sand and surf for this time but he was getting hungry and thirsty. I checked my watch. It was close on lunch time and I knew he was right…but I still hadn’t gotten my shot. When it was obvious that I could delay no more, I was about to put the camera away when….

USAHolidayJan2011124.jpg

Finally! Some action! The surfer dude must have gotten unlucky and he ended up in the right place at the right time. And I could see it unfold right in front of me….and that surfer could see it too. He paddled hard, stood up and surfed….

USAHolidayJan2011126.jpg

…and surfed….

USAHolidayJan2011129.jpg

…and surfed. I could sense possibilities……only to be disappointed. He stayed on his board. The tension kept building…

USAHolidayJan2011139a.jpg

…as he stayed on his board.

I waited and waited ….and finally!

USAHolidayJan2011144a.jpg

USAHolidayJan2011145a.jpg

My wipeout!

I was delirious and light-headed!

It was definitely time to head in search of food.

The great thing about a morning on Francis Beach is that when we’re done, the wash up amenities is reasonable and we fully make use of them.
The Park Services include outdoor showers and taps for that quick rinse off for sand and surf. You just have to remember to bring a towel.

One of the other benefits of taking the trouble to go to Francis Beach is that when we are done, we are a 2-minute drive away from the quaint town of Half Moon Bay.

USAHolidayJan2011150.jpg

I was last here in October 2010; and was happy to be back again. DS felt the same way.

USAHolidayJan2011149.jpg

Half Moon Bay is not a very big town. It probably consists of about 50 or 60 shops, all along one main street. There are a number of very nice eating establishments, cutesy shops and a couple of clothing shops. And for a small town, it sure has very eclectic street art.

USAHolidayJan2011151.jpg

DS and I have been visiting this town together for the last 8 or 9 years and we always make it a point to take a stroll up and down the streets, admiring the windows and occasionally going into a shop of two. We also have this favourite café in town.

USAHolidayJan2011154.jpg

On the walls of the café, the owner hangs artwork from local artists, which are for sale. One of these visits, I’m sure I’ll see the one that is destined for my wall at home.
And the bay window looks out on the incredibly busy and bustling street life of Half Moon Bay.

USAHolidayJan2011157.jpg

It is a place where locals hang out and everyone knows everyone else’s name.

And the food? Well, we love their killer milk shakes.

USAHolidayJan2011158.jpg

We also love their toasted sandwiches, and DS ordered this cheese, avocado and tomato deli sandwich, with pickle.

USAHolidayJan2011160.jpg

I decided on a roasted vegetable panini with eggplant, red onion, peppers and pesto; and my favourite A&W Rootbeer.

USAHolidayJan2011162.jpg

For me, the food is always delicious and fresh here. And at a total cost of under $20 (including tips in the tip jar) for lunch, I think it is reasonably priced.

After lunch, we lingered in town for a little bit longer. There are a couple of bookshops and a toyshop that are firm favourites with DS. Despite looking hard, we didn’t find anything to buy this time. And after a while, he wanted to head back to the hotel for a swim.

princess::upsidedow

[Up Next – The afternoon is for the birds]

Love the pics of the beach and the surfer who wiped out. Perfect timing. The sandwich looks good. I guess everything looks good when your dieting. Well our pre trip is on for march 12th. Keep up the awesome job. Hope mine can be some what good as yours.

You certainly have some patience, I'm not sure I could have waited that long for one shot. But I see it was totally worth it, very nice picture :thumbsup2 the pelicans were also a beautiful shot.

Now the question is did he wipe out because he was distracted by the crazy lady on the beach taking photos of him? :lmao:

So glad you were able to get those fab wipe-out pics!

Believe me....so was I. I'd looked for surfers down near Pismo Beach but because it was a work day, there was hardly anyone out. :sad2:

That beach is so pretty! I love the pictures of the pelicans and of the wipeout! :lmao:

I keep going back because the beach is beautiful!

Love the pics of the beach and the surfer who wiped out. Perfect timing. The sandwich looks good. I guess everything looks good when your dieting. Well our pre trip is on for march 12th. Keep up the awesome job. Hope mine can be some what good as yours.

Are you doing a pre-pre trip report?? :lmao: Vegas! Here we come!
You didn't tell us you were on a diet!

Thanks for the compliments. :blush:
Your TR will be great because it will be YOURS! :woohoo:

You certainly have some patience, I'm not sure I could have waited that long for one shot. But I see it was totally worth it, very nice picture :thumbsup2 the pelicans were also a beautiful shot.

Now the question is did he wipe out because he was distracted by the crazy lady on the beach taking photos of him? :lmao:

I don't know what you mean. I didn't see any crazy lady on the beach taking photos of my surfer!! :rotfl:

Seriously, he wouldn't have seen me. He was that far out that it was a wonder that I managed the shots at all!

Nice beach photos. I liked the one of the wipeout too! :thumbsup2

Thanks!

A Relaxing Afternoon on Vacation – finally!

After lunch, we drove back to the hotel. DS and I rarely take the time out just to sit and do nothing on our vacays…but for some reason, that is exactly what we chose to do this afternoon.

I do wonder if I would have been so amenable with the suggestion if not for a little category called Vacation, yours.

The temperature had hit the high 20’s by this stage (high 70’s or low 80’s), so it was nice to get into our bathers and hit the pool….

USAHolidayJan2011175.jpg

…er….spa.

USAHolidayJan2011179.jpg

Well, DS hit the pool and spa. I dipped a toe into the unheated pool and opted for the spa.

I found a spot on one of the deck chairs..

USAHolidayJan2011182.jpg

…and grabbed this shot for my photo forum category….

USAHolidayJan2011184.jpg

(You don’t seriously think I’m silly enough to post a crystal clear shot of my hairy legs, do you?)

….I made sure that we ALL grabbed some relax time.

USAHolidayJan2011189.jpg

(Continued in Next Post)

(Continued from Previous Post)

Bird Watching at The Inner Bay

Our hotel is within a very short walk to the Inner bay and marshlands. For DS and myself, it is one of the other attractive side benefits of staying here.

USAHolidayJan2011190.jpg

And when we have a lazy afternoon or when DH (usually) rings to say that he’s tied up for a bit longer at work, DS and I like to take a walk to see the bird life. It also helps that the walk we take includes a stop at a playground and a number of those exercise equipments that only serve to torment our bodies.

After our afternoon by the spa, we decided to take a bit of time to take a stroll around the marshland. The marshes are just full of birds, particularly this time of year where the birds have migrated here for the winter!

We came across a flock of Canada Geese.

USAHolidayJan2011192.jpg

They were sure enjoying eating on the green grass!

USAHolidayJan2011197.jpg

Along the walk, we also spotted this bird of winter, feeding

USAHolidayJan2011200.jpg

USAHolidayJan2011201.jpg

USAHolidayJan2011202.jpg

The long-billed curlew is also known as the Candlestick bird. Did you know that Candlestick Park was named after them? These birds were once on the brink of extinction in the 1800’s.

The Snowy Egret is one of my favourite birds in this part of the world. I was hoping to catch this one in action and pouncing on some food floating past; but it just stood still for all the time I was watching.

USAHolidayJan2011204.jpg

Definitely another one of those species that at one time was near to extinction. It’s feathers and plumes were used to decorate hats! Looking at this one, you can see that it is just starting to put out its breeding plumage and you can understand why their plumes were so highly sought after.

We also came across the Great Egret.

USAHolidayJan2011208.jpg

It was also hunted close to extinction for its plumes. This one just stood look admiring its reflection. Sure didn’t look like it was interested in any food that might have been floating by.

A little bit early in the year; but we also found this beautiful Californian Poppy along this walk.

USAHolidayJan2011210.jpg

A really relaxing afternoon for us both!

(Continued in Next Post)

(Continued from Previous Post)

Palo Alto

Lately, my MUST GO shop in this part of the world has been Keeble and Shuchat at Palo Alto.

Given the prices for camera equipment in Australia compared to the US, it has completely made sense for us to take our business and shop in the US than to pay what I think are outrageous prices in Australia for exactly the same item.

Whenever we go to the US, DH and I normally agree on and allocate a shopping budget before we go. Usually, my budget goes towards buying clothes. For the last 2 trips, I’ve been putting my budget towards camera gear.

If you’ve been following my previous TRs, you’ll know that the camera that I shoot with was originally meant to be for both of us to share; but really it was more for DH. Well, when we came home from the May 2010 trip, the expensive toy sat in the bag for a month! And then I found the DisBoard photography sub-forum. The camera is now mine and poor DH does not get a look in.

So, when I had mentioned to DH that I was intending on going to K&S, he jumped at the opportunity to tag along.

DS and I waited for DH to finish work and we all jumped in the car and headed off to Palo Alto.

This is the shot of the shop taken from my trusty 17 – 55 mm lens.

USAHolidayJan2011216.jpg

This is the shot of the shop, same spot, taken from my NEW 10 – 22 mm Ultra Wild Angle lens.

USAHolidayJan2011217.jpg

You might get to enjoy some of this wider angle later on….

And DH? He ended up with a Canon Powershot camera.
Guess who plays with that camera more?

We saved about 35% between the two purchases by buying in the US cf buying in Oz.

Totally happy with our shopping splurge, we headed out to celebrate….over dinner! Given our location, our only choice for dinner was here.

USAHolidayJan2011233.jpg

This Cheesecake Factory is located on University Avenue in Palo Alto.

USAHolidayJan2011238.jpg

University Avenue is also another favourite haunt of mine. Being close to Stanford University, you’re always guaranteed of plenty of street life and people watching any time of year. And the shops here are pretty entertaining as well. As you can tell from the decorated tree lights, this is a pretty long street.....yes, lots of shops!

We love the fresh, warm bread that the Cheesecake Factory serves.

USAHolidayJan2011218.jpg

And DH and I can never go past the Avocado Egg Rolls for an appertizer.

USAHolidayJan2011222.jpg

We just love this dish and the one serve is more than plenty for the two of us. DS does not share our love for this dish; but on this night, the signs were good for the future.

The Egg Rolls are usually big enough to serve as a main course…but we decided that we needed to add entrees to our order tonight.

DH decided on the Fish Taco for entrée.

USAHolidayJan2011223.jpg

It came with rice and beans.

USAHolidayJan2011230.jpg

I had a taste – not sure that I would rush out to order this dish next time.

DS got the spaghetti bolognaise.

USAHolidayJan2011229.jpg

Our server, Wes, wasn’t very generous with the parmesan cheese and DS got him back a second time to top up on his calcium. But the pasta meal is always consistently good.

I decided to ask Wes for a recommendation. He suggested the chicken chipotle pasta.

USAHolidayJan2011228.jpg

The dish was well cooked and I loved the spiciness of the dish. But for some inexplicable reason the sauce tasted overly sweet to me.

We were stuffed!

But we were at the Cheesecake Factory. You don’t go there and NOT have cheesecake!

So, we asked Wes for another recommendation and knowing that we planned to have it to go, he recommended the vanilla bean, vanilla cream cheesecake.

USAHolidayJan2011240.jpg

By the way – I think this picture says it all. That cheesecake was delicious! We cracked open the forks the next morning and by the time I’d gotten the camera out, this was what was left!

We walked down University Avenue and spent some time in the Borders and Game Stop before heading home.

All in all, a pretty successful (and expensive) day!

princess::upsidedow

[Up Next – Day 7]

Some times it is nice to sit and do nothing. I love that wide angle shot. I do alot barganing in frisco for our lenses. All the food at least I can enjoy and pretend. Yes this will be a pre pre trip report. By the way where should I post the TR ? It is not any disney one. Keep coming I feel like I am on vacation with you all.:thumbsup2

Camera prices are completely ridiculous in Australia. It makes me so angry :mad:

Is it weird that I want to go to the Cheesecake Factory only because Penny in The Big Bang Theory works there?

As always very nice photos taken.

:yay: Yay Kimmar made it over to find the bacon!

What I think is funny that you have been to the Cheesecake factory more in the last year than I have been in my lifetime! :lmao:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter