Disboutiquers Part 5 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, so I have my bodice done..

Im working on the ruffle that attached to the bottom of the skirt and I did 2 fabrics, and as suggested on here I folded both in half. So Im working with 4 layers of fabric.

I do not own a ruffler.

I followed the directions for sewing the loops and then pinned them together.
Then followed the directions for gather- trying to gather the two at the same time is proving MOST frustrating. First time ever I broke my threads.

Anyone have suggestions? Its 1am so Im calling it quits for tonight. :confused3

Tinka Belle - nice work :thumbsup2 Are you done for the semester or do you have more classes to finish? If you have more... good luck! If not, :banana: for summer break.
I'm going to go to Summer Semester too. I still have two courses to finish out for this semester. I might not be able to finish one of them which means that I will have to finish this summer. Not a problem though. I took too many courses this semester that's why I couldn't get them all done.

I started Jenna's pink Cinderella dress tonight. I got the bodice done. I messed up so royally though. I put the sleeves in backwards. I was able to fix it without taking the entire thing apart. I also realized that as of right now I have 4 outfits that are not finished yet. I need to get them done because they are all for Disney. :scared1:

Hello everyone.

I haven't posted or looked here in forever!

Riley is still fighting the kidney infection that started April 6. She has now missed 15 days of school. Today was the last day of her 4th antibiotic, so we'll know for sure in a few days if it is gone.

I really miss my sewing. It's just hard to get anything accomplished with Riley home. She wants to talk to me about everything I do, so I just decided to put everything aside (even housework) till she feels better! Hopefully next week I'll be back to sewing and housework!

I can't wait to go back and see everybody's recent creations.

SO sorry one of your little ones is dealing with kidney infections. That was the story of most of my young life. I had 84,000 kidney infections a year I SWEAR and I missed a lot of school and spent quite a bit of time in the hospital. It was wretched. They are the worst kind of infections and can produce some scary high fevers. (I got to where I was trying to "pretend" I wasn't sick b/c I knew I'd have to go to the doctor...my mom got a call from the school once b/c I'd passed out on the sidewalk on the way to school...I had 104 degree fever but I'd avoided letting my mom get a hand on me before I left! I was delirious but DETERMINED!)

so big hugs to Riley! I hope she feels better soon!!!

Ok, first of all, disclaimer needs to show that I am posting tipsy. Husband left to visit with sister and boyfriend and I am here alone, lol. So please blame any miscommunications on being left along after several glasses of wine; I do have the feeling that TeresaJoy would not approve, sorry!

Poor Beau! And you are so responsible for your canine child too, I can imagine how upset you must be! But just think, if you lived in Florida you would not make as much money, but I would be happy for Scrappy to have a playdate so you wouldn't have to spend as much on doggie day care!

Ok, posting tipsy might not be the best idea, why do I have to backspace so much? :confused3

Thanks! That's probably a smarter idea, working at a fabric store. I just thought with subbing we would be on the same schedule (m and the kids). We'll see if they kill me or I run screaming!

Ok off to watch Top Chef now, good night! ;)

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Steph you SO crack me up!!! I think that Scrappy and Beau would get along SO well...I'd love some playdate action!!! I'm ready to move to Florida, money or NOT...I'm sick to death of this New Jersey schizoid weather...and other stuff.

Mickey and Scrappy, here we come!!!

Tipsy posting drive bys...I LOVE IT!!!:moped:

Top Chef is AWESOME by the way...I love the red headed guy with the big ears! Must be that IRish girl in me!!!:lmao:

Im working on the ruffle that attached to the bottom of the skirt and I did 2 fabrics, and as suggested on here I folded both in half. So Im working with 4 layers of fabric.

I do not own a ruffler.

Then followed the directions for gather- trying to gather the two at the same time is proving MOST frustrating. First time ever I broke my threads.

Do you have two layers for the ruffle? Sometimes gathering 4 layers of fabric is a littl ticky. My mom uses cording for thicker material. She takes the cording around the top of the material to be gathered and zigzags it to the material. Then you just pull the cording to gather. Once gathered and pinned, remove the cording and sew. I like doing it that way, but I am lazy and just do two rows of gathering stitched. Remember to pull the threads that are on the same side of the fabric.

Theresa and Heather Hope you have a great trip! Wish I was going!
CastleCreations Congrats on the new job!
T Glad surgery went well, have been thinking about you!

Just had to share that is was hot enough yesterday for the kids to go in the pool. Notice I said kids, not me! Although it was like 85, the pool water was closer to 60...not my type of pool water. They had a great time and I read a sewing book I bought for my mom for Mother's Day. (bought it for her so I can borrow it!)

Halfway done with my portrait peasant dress and I really am liking the way it is turning out! Can't wait till I finish it....may not be today, another day in the 80's and they say we can use water to wash our cars again!! YIPEEE

Wow! New thread already!

Teresa and Heather have a wonderful time!

I have been so busy, that I haven't even touched the sewing machine in a long while. Leighanna is asking for a "kitty" shirt. So I might have to dust it off and get busy!

Everyone's things look great!

I was just wondering yesterday where you were!!!! Glad you are back and now get to sewing!!!

I made it over too!

I just have to say-

Ruffler = Best.Invention.Ever
CarlaC = Goddess!

I got a ruffler because I have 2 more twirl skirts to make as gifts. After ruffling the first one by hand, I knew that I would never do that again (at least that long of a piece again!!). I downloaded CarlaC's tutorial and it all just clicked! When I read the tutorial (at work, shhh!), I didn't have my ruffler with me, but I made my way through it. Once I got home, I gave it a try and WOW! I just love it. Later today, I will probably start working on ruffling the other 2 skirts. I am just soooo in love right now.

And reason #2 CarlaC rocks- the little hints and extras in her patterns are sooo worth it. I find myself thinking "that is the best idea every, why didn't I think of it? Why have I been doing it wrong forever?" If anyone is on the fence about her patters, make the purchase. It really is worth it!!

And add another to the patiently waiting for the bowling shirt pattern. Although, if it doesn't come out before our trip, I will be a lot less stressed. If I get a new pattern, even with just a few days to go, I will HAVE to do something with it!!

Hey there Les Filles! DH is going to be in Scottsdale, AZ at the end of May and told me he would find time to go to a fabric store for me!

I need help! Where should he go? I need character fabric, Star Wars fabric, and Mickey Fabric!! We just can't find it here in Canada. Please let me know what stores have the best selection, so I can call ahead and have them ready for him when he's there.

I want to make the kids matching Star Wars outfits (DS=shorts, and DD wants a twirly dress), I need Mickey fabric for appliques and I'd like something Nemo, and pretty Princess fabric. Oh, and any place that has the best ribbon, for matching hairbows??

Can you tell I'm excited! :banana: :banana: :banana:

Merci Les Filles
Stephanie

Any of the Joann Superstores will have Star Wars and Princess fabric, the red mickey head fabric, and maybe some Nemo....some of it is flannel, some cotton. There are a couple Joann stores in Scottsdale and more in the surrounding cities in the valley...their website is joann.com, but they don't have most of their fabric online.

Hancock Fabrics in Mesa (depending on where in Scottsdale he'll be a 10-30 minute drive) has several Mickey fabrics (I have purchased the red Mickey head and the blue/green head there in the past), some tink fabric and several different Nemo patterns. No Princess. Haven't been there in about two months, so I'm going on that timeline.

We might be able to stop by and do an inventory check for you next week or the week after so you have an idea of what he should look for and what it costs. If you can PM and tell me where he'll be staying I can be sure to check the Joann's closest to him....unfortunately there is only one Hancocks in Arizona so he'll have to drive a little for it. There is also a Hobby Lobby, but the only store that's open so far is in Avondale....almost an hour drive from Scottsdale. They are opening two more Hobby Lobby's in 2008 that will be closer to Scottdale, but they're not open yet. Maybe save Hobby Lobby for his next trip, does he come here often?

Sheesh...I'll do anything to have an excuse to go fabric shopping won't I? LOL "Darling Husband, I simply HAD to go to the fabric store to help out a fellow Diser". Oh yes, the sacrafice! :lmao:

OOOPS....forgot about Walmart, duh. The Walmart in Scottsdale is new and so it doesn't have the fabric department. I'll check around to see what Walmart is nearest Scottsdale that has fabric. Walmart has the largest selection of Princess fabric, always has Nemo and Cars, and sometimes has Star Wars and some of the Mickey Fabric. Now....the fabric at Walmart is not as good quality as Joann's or Hancocks....if you're making something you want to last for a long time (quilt, room decor, etc) then you may not want the Walmart fabric....but if you're making clothes for the kids that they'll outgrow in a year anyway, it's fine.

Do you have two layers for the ruffle? Sometimes gathering 4 layers of fabric is a littl ticky. My mom uses cording for thicker material. She takes the cording around the top of the material to be gathered and zigzags it to the material. Then you just pull the cording to gather. Once gathered and pinned, remove the cording and sew. I like doing it that way, but I am lazy and just do two rows of gathering stitched. Remember to pull the threads that are on the same side of the fabric.

Im not sure I understand what you mean about the cording.... I have heard about zig zagging, but never tried it, wouldnt I have the same thread-breaking issue?? So you sew the zig zag over this cording? Not sure I have any of this cording...whats it look like. SOmeone else suggested dental floss, but I dont have that either (we use the floss picks)
If I do this, whats to prevent the floss/cord from just pulling out without gathering the fabric?

Just an FYI for other reading- Im a huge fan of Carla's patterns and this is something she did NOT suggest in her pattern, I just wanted a double ruffle on the edge of this dress.

I have gathered ruffles before- i use the 'ol tried and true old fashion method of 2 gathering stitches (my machine goes up to 5.0) and then gathering from bobbin threats. I am using 2 tubes of folded fabric.
a colored Pooh toile (cotton blend?) and a medium weight blue broadcloth.

After going to sleep last night I realized I could just rip all my gathering stitches out- which it sounds like I have to do. And gathering seperately and attaching seperately or trying to attach together after gathering..

Whew!

Im not sure I understand what you mean about the cording.... I have heard about zig zagging, but never tried it, wouldnt I have the same thread-breaking issue?? So you sew the zig zag over this cording? Not sure I have any of this cording...whats it look like. SOmeone else suggested dental floss, but I dont have that either (we use the floss picks)
If I do this, whats to prevent the floss/cord from just pulling out without gathering the fabric?

Just an FYI for other reading- Im a huge fan of Carla's patterns and this is something she did NOT suggest in her pattern, I just wanted a double ruffle on the edge of this dress.

I have gathered ruffles before- i use the 'ol tried and true old fashion method of 2 gathering stitches (my machine goes up to 5.0) and then gathering from bobbin threats. I am using 2 tubes of folded fabric.
a colored Pooh toile (cotton blend?) and a medium weight blue broadcloth.

After going to sleep last night I realized I could just rip all my gathering stitches out- which it sounds like I have to do. And gathering seperately and attaching seperately or trying to attach together after gathering..

Whew!

I have seen this method with the cording in a few books and on a few websites. The threads don't break as easy, and it is a lot easier to gether. I don't do it because 1. I don't have cord and 2 Like I said I am lazy! I have done the dental floss thing too and it does have more druability and pulls better. I did that by hand on something I tyedied and it was time consuming. Wonder if you could use that on the machine?

I'm having a sewing maching crisis!!!!!

When I sew, the bobbin thread is too loose. I was just sewing along and all of a sudden, it started getting loose. Any ideas why? I didn't do anything. I tried fixing the tension, rethreading, checked the needle, blew the dust bunnies out of small spaces, what else can I try? It literally started getting loose in the middle of a seam! I NEED to finish LOTS of stuff!!!!!!

ANYONE, PLEASE, HELP!!!!!!

This happens to me quite a bit if the top thread pulls loose when I first start a seam. I usually can fix it by rethreading the top thread, but sometimes I have to take the whole ****in casing apart & put it back together & rethread the entire machine. Twice. Or maybe three times. I don't know why it's easy to fix sometimes & not others, but that's the way my world usually works. I think 'That can't be it. I've already tried that'. Then I do it again & it works this time. :confused3

Castlecreation - congratulations on the job!! When do you start?

I made it over too!

I just have to say-

Ruffler = Best.Invention.Ever
CarlaC = Goddess!

I got a ruffler because I have 2 more twirl skirts to make as gifts. After ruffling the first one by hand, I knew that I would never do that again (at least that long of a piece again!!). I downloaded CarlaC's tutorial and it all just clicked! When I read the tutorial (at work, shhh!), I didn't have my ruffler with me, but I made my way through it. Once I got home, I gave it a try and WOW! I just love it. Later today, I will probably start working on ruffling the other 2 skirts. I am just soooo in love right now.

And reason #2 CarlaC rocks- the little hints and extras in her patterns are sooo worth it. I find myself thinking "that is the best idea every, why didn't I think of it? Why have I been doing it wrong forever?" If anyone is on the fence about her patters, make the purchase. It really is worth it!!

And add another to the patiently waiting for the bowling shirt pattern. Although, if it doesn't come out before our trip, I will be a lot less stressed. If I get a new pattern, even with just a few days to go, I will HAVE to do something with it!!

I am another one who is waiting patiently for the bowling shirt pattern, and also love CarlaC pattern!

I also bought a ruffler foot after trying to make my daughter a Halloween twirl skirt and tried to gather by hand! I don't mind doing ruffles and gathers as much anymore now that I have the ruffler foot! It really helps!!!

Jenny

Just popping in. Sorry I am sooo far behind. I have been fighing some sort of sick for the past few days. I just slept for about 36 hours, waking up every 4 or so for more pain meds. Got spacers from the dentist too. Meh. :sick: :sick:

MyTwoTinks - I hope Riley feels better. I got a LOT of kidney infections as a child. I know they're not fun. :hug: :hug: :hug: to you and her.

Teresa and Heather - HAVE FUN!!!

CastleCreations - Congratulations on your new job! Yes. the salaries down there are lower than here in NY, but so is the cost of living. :hug:

I am on about page 120 of the LAST board, so to say I am behind is a gross understatement. Everyone's creations look awesome!!

Oh, and I updated my TR (shameless plug). I am about to update again. Link in my siggie.

I use upholstery thread (as recommended by Tom) for basting and it works great and doesn't break. HTH!

:rotfl2: :lmao: :rotfl2: :lmao:

Steph you SO crack me up!!! I think that Scrappy and Beau would get along SO well...I'd love some playdate action!!! I'm ready to move to Florida, money or NOT...I'm sick to death of this New Jersey schizoid weather...and other stuff.

Mickey and Scrappy, here we come!!!

Tipsy posting drive bys...I LOVE IT!!!:moped:

Top Chef is AWESOME by the way...I love the red headed guy with the big ears! Must be that IRish girl in me!!!:lmao:

When I woke up this morning I thought, I hope I didn't sound as bad as I thought I did!

Scrappy has a little mini doxie girlfriend that he loves, it is so cute to see their ears perk up when they spot each other. I am sure he would get along great with Beau!

I love Top Chef, even though I am not a foodie (maybe a foodie-wannabe). I wish I could cook like that!

I do not own a ruffler.

I have tried all the methods suggested here:rotfl: I usually just go back to hand ruffling. I find that I can better adjust my ruffles to look more even. I also do 2 layer ruffles and I just do each one separately. It's more work but I tried ruffling them together and that was very frustrating!! I thread did keep breaking! I know some people use their sergers to gather and attach at the same time. I didn't like the way that looked either! :laughing: So I just end up doing it the long way!!

I have a ruffler and that thing scares me! :scared1: I didn't realize that CarlaC did the tutorial for that on YCMT. I think I might have to go check it out! The pattern companies would do well to hire her for pattern instructions! Or maybe she should write a book with all her suggestions! I would buy it regardless of cost!!!

I have tried all the methods suggested here:rotfl: I usually just go back to hand ruffling. I find that I can better adjust my ruffles to look more even. I also do 2 layer ruffles and I just do each one separately. It's more work but I tried ruffling them together and that was very frustrating!! I thread did keep breaking! I know some people use their sergers to gather and attach at the same time. I didn't like the way that looked either! :laughing: So I just end up doing it the long way!!

I have a ruffler and that thing scares me! :scared1: I didn't realize that CarlaC did the tutorial for that on YCMT. I think I might have to go check it out! The pattern companies would do well to hire her for pattern instructions! Or maybe she should write a book with all her suggestions! I would buy it regardless of cost!!!

I have tried many methods of ruffling and I have a ruffler foot, but usually I still do it by hand because I like it to be even. When I do a double ruffle I always gather the top layer first, pin it onto the skirt or bodice or whatever I am making, run a basting stitch to attach it close to the edge, then gather my under layer, pin it, and stitch the whole thing together.

Whew- Im back from running errands! Wow! It's a mob scene out there today!

Went to Joann's
Fray check- for ribbons on CarlaCs bow option instead of buttons (which I love)
Mickey head shaped buttons- not sure what Im using them for
THIN cording for my next attempt at sewing these 2 ruffles together. I havent finished ripping out the gathering stitches from my first attempt....sigh.
Well you know what they say - "The Lord loves a happy ripper"
-2 Disney fabrics in their "clearence" section. A really cool lime green pooh fabric and a pretty blue with flowers with the Princesses on cameos in a border- I see cute sundress perhaps!- Got 4yds-hardly what I call clearence prices! $6 a yard!
Pillow form for a travel pillow/children's pillow (to be DDs)
Pillow form and kit to make a soft book with a pocket on the pillow for the book- B-day gift for neice

Okay, Im off to rip stitches and try to cording/zig zag techinque. Thanks girls!

I have tried many methods of ruffling and I have a ruffler foot, but usually I still do it by hand because I like it to be even. When I do a double ruffle I always gather the top layer first, pin it onto the skirt or bodice or whatever I am making, run a basting stitch to attach it close to the edge, then gather my under layer, pin it, and stitch the whole thing together.

Yup that is exactly how I do it! I also take the basting stitches out as I go, otherwise, I drown in basting stitches! :laughing:

mmmm all this talk of rufflers makes me want one more and more!

OK so without a sewing machine, I'm busy with 'other' projects. I've just bought some Bubble Jet Set 2000. Its a liquid that you soak cotton in and then you can print on the fabric using a normal printer. I've done a couple of pictures ready for DH's Cars quilt and its really easy.

This has got me thinking that I could make a quilt for Hope using autographs, instead of keeping a traditional book. If I get the signatures, scan them in and then print them onto thefabric, I can use the squares in a simple block design quilt.

The bit I need your help for, is how big would the squares need to be? How big is the average signature? I've never done this before so have no idea whatsoever!!!

Clare XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!