Disboutiquers Part 30 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew ;-)

Discussion in 'Disney for Families' started by teresajoy, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Sparkly

Sparkly Starlight, starbright...

This thread makes me want to try my hand at sewing..I haven't done it since school in textiles..we did a hat. And it was quite a good looking hat, even if I say so myself.

I'm going to attempt a stuffed toy of a character from a video game I play at some point, but I have no clue where to start or the best way to go about making the pattern.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. BellePrincessBelle

BellePrincessBelle <font color=green>Nothing says Thanksgiving like s

I have to eat my words. I said in 10 years of embroidery that i've never had hoop envy(and I never have in the past) but that must be because I didn't hang around here. Now I have hoop envy! I will be buying a machine with a bigger hoop but not a 5x7, something bigger for sure.

4. ceemys

ceemys DIS Veteran

Congrats on the little one. My 20 hour labor turned into an emergency c-section also. Hope everyone is better.

5. pyrxtc

pyrxtc <font color=deeppink>Married 10-5-02<br><font colo

Yay on the baby girl ! Oh what fun you will have sewing through the years.

6. kellygirl2

kellygirl2 Earning My Ears

I have been looking through and seeing all the awesome creations. I love them all - I especially love the Thing 1 and 2 onsies.

Question:

I have a new 770 (my husband thanks all of you ladies I am sure). I did my first applique last night and it came out pretty good. I now know how closely I need to trim the fabric - wasnt sure until after the satin stitch ran.

I had some issues with thread breaking but I think I just need to get a better handle on threading - that might have been user error.

Some of the tutorials I have watched - they use and iron on stabilizer on the fabric before it is placed on to be stiched down. Does anyone do that step and is it worth it? I am using cutaway stabilizer and it seemed to work well but was curious if adding the iron on to the fabric makes the fabric stay down better and maybe not pucker when washed.

Just trying to lesson the learning curve here as we leave in about 6 weeks and I need to get busy. If only my 3 year old darlings would cooperate at naptime.

Thanks and I will be back to post some pictures soon.

Kelly

7. sewmess

sewmess DIS Veteran

Congrats to all involved; 'specially Mr. New Dad. Prayers and thoughts will still be with your DD & family as they go through the next few weeks of recovery & adjustment to the new life.

A good place to start is drawing out the character and breaking it down into pieces for a start-up "2-D" stuffy; also, if your starting out, felt or fleece is very forgiving to work with. I've gotten a lot of inspiration here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?board=358.0#axzz2SA58tklL There are awesome tutorials and a lot of the craftsters are gamers and would love to see your creation.

One of these days I'll have to post one of my dolls to show everyone my 3-D sewing.

8. goteamwood

goteamwood DIS Veteran

I hear you on the nap thing. My 3-year-olds fight nap time every day but I will not give up!
    I don't use the iron on but I do cutaway on the bottom and the solvy on top. I just think on t-shirts especially the stitches look nicer. Could be my imagination though. I order it online from thraedart or all stitch rather than buy it at Joann, it's much cheaper. The only time I used the iron on stuff is for the hand-applies I did before I got my embroidery machine.

9. smittette

smittette Earning My Ears

Yay, I finally got the animal print twirly skirt finished. It has (I think) 14 animals embroidered on it. None of them are very big, but they took forever! Plus I always try to do doubles for future use when I'm doing things like this. I made it multi-directional so she can wear whichever animal she feels like in front. Plus I used button elastic. So it will fit her 20 inch waist now, but still be able to be worn up to about a 28 inch waist. Probably forever, she's on the scrawny side.
    Now for the important part - pics!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Note the tiger striped waistband. I searched for a month for tiger striped cotton. I found tiger striped fleece, tiger striped silky fabric, tiger striped fur, tiger striped flannel, blue tiger stripes, green tiger stripes and even some tiger striped ribbon - but no tiger colored cotton tiger striped fabric! Until two days ago when the main part of the skirt was already put together.:confused3
    And now for one photo I don't appreciate

[​IMG]
    Taken today - May the 2nd. Really!?! Yes, that white stuff is what you think it is. :sad2:

10. pyrxtc

pyrxtc <font color=deeppink>Married 10-5-02<br><font colo

Love the skirt 1 That is a lot of thread but the animals are super cute ! I'm sorry about snow, sl glad we are done with it here.

11. PrincessMickey

PrincessMickey Mouseketeer

I knew your brother was in CO but didn't realize you were from CO too!!
    How exciting your nephew getsto throw out the first pitch, what a great memory that will be and the Cubs shirt turned out great!

We'll have to get together sometime :banana::banana::banana:

Great job!!! Have a great trip!

Congratulations!!!!

Great job on the skirt! I feel your pain about the weather. It was 80 on Sunday here then yesterday we had 6 inches of snow. It snowed until about 4 this morning and now you would never know it. It's 50 and most of the snow is already melted.

12. goteamwood

goteamwood DIS Veteran

Funny, I found tiger stripe fabric in the remnant bin at hobby lobby recently, I picked it up because I never know what sort of crazy project I could need it for at $2 for a yard ... I had no idea it was so rare! ;)

And THAT is what I miss about colorado and dislike least about the stupid weather here in Chicago... snow then melting and nice weather. Once it snows here, the snow just stays in frozen piles in parking lots for MONTHS and turns into black, filthy mass. And it stays COLD the whole winter with no break. It is brutal. Every winter I question why the heck I live here, and wonder why anyone does. You'd think after the first winter whatever settlers were here would have said NO WAY! and kept on moving! I would love to move back to CO someday, but at this point I would be happy just to leave IL.

13. PurpleEars

PurpleEars DIS Veteran

I don't have any suggestions for capes (but I know someone here did a bunch of them for her grandchildren not that long ago). I hope your family will have a fantastic trip!

Welcome! I can't wait to see pictures of your creations!

Sorry to hear about your situation while you were at your dad's. But congratulations on having your offer accepted on the new house. Now hopefully the current house will sell very quickly. Nice find on the fabric!

Congrats on the grand daughter. I am sorry to hear that the delivery was not smooth and your son-in-law was stuck in an uncomfortable situation. I am sure he was great though. I look forward to seeing pictures of the latest addition to your family!

Welcome! We may be able to better help you if we knew which character you are trying to create. I usually start by studying pictures from different angles and sketching out ideas.

Hopefully you can find a cure for your hoop envy soon. :)

I have never used iron on stabilizer. I just use cutaway (for knits) or tearaway (for wovens). One of the neat things I started to do recently is to use quilt clips to clip the garment to the hoop so the "extra material" won't get in the way.

That is a beautiful skirt! You did a great job on it and it was a great idea to make it so it could be worn for a long time. I totally hear you on the snow, but at least your tulips are up and flowering! Ours is still a few weeks away from flowering. They are only a few inches from the ground at this point. We can't grow much in terms of vegetables because the growing season is just too short! Thankfully our raspberries have done well over the years.

14. goteamwood

goteamwood DIS Veteran

I don't know why this never occurred to me! I have tried binder clips and hair clips and they always end up in the way of the preset foot mechanism. I have a huge thing of quilt clips which are much smaller! Brilliant. Changed my life just now.

Sent from my iPhone using DISBoards

15. Mickey_for_President

Mickey_for_President My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Whoa! 8 lbs and three weeks early! Good thing she was induced!!!!

CONGRATULATIONS on the new little bitty! :love:

16. BabyRapunzel

BabyRapunzel Mouseketeer

Nini....congratulations on your new granddaughter!!!

Purple ears.....love the quilt clip idea, although I have no idea what they are. But anything to keep shirts out of the way would make me happy!!!!

Smittette...very cute skirt!!!!

Lastly......help!!!!!!!
    I have been trying to shirr on my brother cs6000i. I have read the hints online, tried stitch length, tension, hand winding the elastic thread in the bobbin, no luck. Anyone get their brother cs6000i to shirr? If so what helped?

17. Mickey_for_President

Mickey_for_President My job's only purpose is to support our WDW habit.

Our Iowa weather is a hot mess right now too. :eek: I'm used to sitting in crazy weather for baseball and soccer games... but sheesh!!!

18. thomtas

thomtas Earning My Ears

Agreed! It is still snowing here (small town almost at the center of the state). I love Iowa but this is ridiculous! :headache:

19. teresajoy

teresajoy <font color=deeppink>World's Proudest Aunt!<br><fo

I'm so excited about little Amelia!!

We love you too :grouphug: I didn't know Dallas wrote that out!!!

Cute skirt!!! That is a lot of fill, I can't imagine how long that took!

And BOOO on the snow!!

I have lived in Michigan my whole life, and I totally agree with this!!! WHAT THE HECK were they thinking??????? I also ask my Mom this same question. When she was growing up, her family spent winters in Florida, summers in Michigan. I often ask WHY she picked Michigan to live in???????? :confused3

20. ivey_family

ivey_family Mouseketeer

Oh my goodness! Page 7! I hang my head in shame for not getting here before now!

The outfit is super cute! Don't forget to post that pic from ETWB!

Welcome! I hope you are able to find something cool for your badges! (whining) We never went to Disney when I was in Scouts! (We did go to the '84 World's Fair, though that was cool!)

Goodness! Lots of travel for you! I hope it all goes well!

14 per child! Whoa! That's amazing! Can't wait to see some pics! I only do half of the days we'll be there and then wash everything.

Welcome!

What a little cutie she was!

Great idea with the towels! Your shirt is cute, too! Hope you're staying sane and all the last details are coming together for you!

So much cuteness!

I have hesitated to try this, too. One of these days I may. Those onesies look great! Congrats on the new desk!

What an ordeal! How frustrating! I hope it's all repaired at their expense now!

Good luck getting it all done! The Nemo top is adorable!

Those Figment dresses are to die for!!!

Yay for a new trip! I LOVED that timeframe last year and would go again at that time of year in a heartbeat! My last minute addition to our trip were fleece zips jackets that I bought and added appliques on felt to. They were the perfect weight for cool nights. I really need to replace the appliques with something new, but I can't bring myself to do it!

[​IMG]

Welcome! Your dresses are lovely! I hope you have a wonderful time!

Welcome!

Congratulations, Grandma!! Another grand princess, how wonderful!

Welcome!

That skirt is beautiful! What a great idea to use button hole elastic! I really need to do that for my kids, too!

What are quilt clips? Sounds very useful! I still just roll and pin shirts to themselves.

I did some late night sewing for my dd on Tuesday before we went to a Tigers baseball game, but I haven't had time to upload pics yet. I will get to that and some other good news that happened today in my usual Sunday evening post. I've got to get to work tonight! Only 8 more sewing days until the craft show and 14 before our vacation! Eek!

Regards,
    C.

21. MamaJessie

MamaJessie DIS Veteran

Do you guys resell the clothes you make for your kids after vaca? You people are amazing!!