Disboutiquers Part 16 Kids Disney Boutique / Customs Clothes psst..we sew

At long last, the Ponyo pictures WITH my model and designer! We used the Patricia tunic pattern by the fabulous CarlaC! Please keep in mind that the fit of this on Lizzie is NOT an indication of the "fit" of this pattern- My daughter is a girl's size 12, but she loves her clothes HUGE so we actually made her the adult size medium! To me it's gigantic but she LOVES the fit of it, and I suppose that's what is important. I just wanted to make sure if anyone was considering the pattern they didn't think it ran ginormous- that's all on us!

lizponyo1.jpg

lizponyo.jpg

I was actually pretty thrilled that Lizzie (the one who usually hides from pictures, or just stands there with a blank face) really got into the pictures! Check this pose out!!!

lizponyo2.jpg

It was a horrendous day already for many reasons I can't really post in a public forum (short version the funeral was today...among other things my Hannah really took it hard!) She got excited though when we got home and I could show her this:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-319431
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-319430

CNN is considering two more of her pictures!!! So far she's got two videos and three pictures in the running...and there are some she isn't crying in, for once, so Momma feels a little better about it too!

I know the photos we should find out about tomorrow (if we made the "cut" for the photo gallery) but I'm hoping we do because not all the pictures have the "on CNN" stamp (not even all mine do!) so I'm hoping it's a good omen. We haven't heard from the producer again about the video (they took one more video as well) and I'm not sure when we'll find out about that.

So, now I'm off to take a nap! I feel like I crammed about a month of stuff into the past 24 hours and I need to rest my head!

Marah! That is fantastic..... did you do those appliques? Wow you are learning so fast! I have missed too much this week. I am trying to catch up, but between weeding through my pictures and writting my trip report, I have barely put a dent in catching up. I also guess I need to get back to sewing.

Here they are at the school
IMG_1336.jpg

Great outfit. Im sure your youngest will adjust quickly, most do at that age.

lizponyo2.jpg

It was a horrendous day already for many reasons I can't really post in a public forum (short version the funeral was today...among other things my Hannah really took it hard!) She got excited though when we got home and I could show her this:

http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-319431
http://www.ireport.com/docs/DOC-319430

CNN is considering two more of her pictures!!! So far she's got two videos and three pictures in the running...and there are some she isn't crying in, for once, so Momma feels a little better about it too!

I know the photos we should find out about tomorrow (if we made the "cut" for the photo gallery) but I'm hoping we do because not all the pictures have the "on CNN" stamp (not even all mine do!) so I'm hoping it's a good omen. We haven't heard from the producer again about the video (they took one more video as well) and I'm not sure when we'll find out about that.

So, now I'm off to take a nap! I feel like I crammed about a month of stuff into the past 24 hours and I need to rest my head!

Great job, and great poses.

Marah! That is fantastic..... did you do those appliques? Wow you are learning so fast! I have missed too much this week. I am trying to catch up, but between weeding through my pictures and writting my trip report, I have barely put a dent in catching up. I also guess I need to get back to sewing.

Thanks Miranda, we are really loving your trip report!

Yes, I did the applique. Originally I had thought I would make a Vida of Ponyo for Hannah, but Lizzie decided she MUST have it and she's not a dress girl, so we were so happy when we saw there is a big panel on the back of the Patricia tunic! Lizzie and I looked at all the pictures we could find online of Ponyo and she really liked the movie poster best, so I just drew my best approximation of it in a way that would work for the shirt.

You still have me SO topped on sewing...so far I have only done two pairs of easy fits, one dress, one skirt, and this! :) Next up I think I'm making a two piece outfit for Hannah, and then hopefully tackling my first Vida.

What is your next sewing project for Taylor? I think I have caught the sickness...I saw that the 101 Dalmatians musical was going to be showing in January about an hour from us and literally my first thought was "Hmm that would be fun to make customs for, maybe we should go!" :lmao:

and then we also went to an outdoor antique event and I found this in the barn out back. printed in 1965 (not truly an antique) I thought the gown was unique, different than the books I have for DD3 now, I immediately thought of all of you and that someone might want to make a dress from it.

I love old books like this!!! How sweet that you thought of us! I can completely see someone (cough*mom2rtk*cough) making this gorgeous gown! I did notice Cindy's waist is the same size as her wrist....:eek::rotfl2: The fabric sort of looks like some that Heather just used in her masterpiece Cinderella set she posted the other day!

Thanks Miranda, we are really loving your trip report!

Yes, I did the applique. Originally I had thought I would make a Vida of Ponyo for Hannah, but Lizzie decided she MUST have it and she's not a dress girl, so we were so happy when we saw there is a big panel on the back of the Patricia tunic! Lizzie and I looked at all the pictures we could find online of Ponyo and she really liked the movie poster best, so I just drew my best approximation of it in a way that would work for the shirt.

You still have me SO topped on sewing...so far I have only done two pairs of easy fits, one dress, one skirt, and this! :) Next up I think I'm making a two piece outfit for Hannah, and then hopefully tackling my first Vida.

What is your next sewing project for Taylor? I think I have caught the sickness...I saw that the 101 Dalmatians musical was going to be showing in January about an hour from us and literally my first thought was "Hmm that would be fun to make customs for, maybe we should go!" :lmao:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the TR, I haven't done one before, but this trip was just too awesome to not write one. Man it takes a long time to sort through the pictures and write it though. I need to go catch up on yours I am sure you wrote some more while I was away.

Wow that is great, the only applique I have done by hand is a very basic mickey head with chef's hat.

I am not sure what I am doing next, I guess I should start on some Halloween things maybe. DH is threatning to open up a sweat shop in our house.... he saw everyone's reactions to Taylor's outfits and is trying to make me sew to sell.... I so am not that confident yet, nor do I have the time to do it....but man is he pushing it this week.... he is offering to buy me anything I need (hmmm maybe I can agree long enough to get a good sewing room and serger and then tell him it didn't work out :lmao:

I should come visit you... Taylor already has a 101 dalmations custom :rotfl2:

Thanks, I'm glad you like the TR, I haven't done one before, but this trip was just too awesome to not write one. Man it takes a long time to sort through the pictures and write it though. I need to go catch up on yours I am sure you wrote some more while I was away.

Wow that is great, the only applique I have done by hand is a very basic mickey head with chef's hat.

I am not sure what I am doing next, I guess I should start on some Halloween things maybe. DH is threatning to open up a sweat shop in our house.... he saw everyone's reactions to Taylor's outfits and is trying to make me sew to sell.... I so am not that confident yet, nor do I have the time to do it....but man is he pushing it this week.... he is offering to buy me anything I need (hmmm maybe I can agree long enough to get a good sewing room and serger and then tell him it didn't work out :lmao:

I should come visit you... Taylor already has a 101 dalmations custom :rotfl2:

C'mon over, girl! I feel pretty isolated out here these days, and I know the girls would spoil the bejeesus out of Taylor!

That is so funny about your hubby, for him to go from not believing you'd actually sewn anything yourself to wanting you to go into business. LOL I am gonna remind you that I told ya way back when that they were good enough to sell, though!

oh! I remember what I wanted to ask! If you don't mind letting us know before you get to it in your report- did you think having the guide at DHS was worth it?

C'mon over, girl! I feel pretty isolated out here these days, and I know the girls would spoil the bejeesus out of Taylor!

That is so funny about your hubby, for him to go from not believing you'd actually sewn anything yourself to wanting you to go into business. LOL I am gonna remind you that I told ya way back when that they were good enough to sell, though!

oh! I remember what I wanted to ask! If you don't mind letting us know before you get to it in your report- did you think having the guide at DHS was worth it?

Okay.... I will try not to spoil anything from the TR, but the guide at MK was so so (not really worth it), it was fun, but MK wasn't that that packed that day and she didn't do anything to blow me away (other then awesome parade seats.) But at HS the guide was SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it IMO. It was the same person both times, so I don't think it had anything to do with her when I say it wasn't that great in MK. I will give you lots of details in my TR.... but HS was awesome because of all the shows and a lot of going backstage (I know I am a Disney dork, but that highly amused me)....she also did better character meet and greets there for us.

Okay.... I will try not to spoil anything from the TR, but the guide at MK was so so (not really worth it), it was fun, but MK wasn't that that packed that day and she didn't do anything to blow me away (other then awesome parade seats.) But at HS the guide was SOOOOOOOOOOO worth it IMO. It was the same person both times, so I don't think it had anything to do with her when I say it wasn't that great in MK. I will give you lots of details in my TR.... but HS was awesome because of all the shows and a lot of going backstage (I know I am a Disney dork, but that highly amused me)....she also did better character meet and greets there for us.

Thanks this was just what I wanted to hear! The Husband has actually been reading the TR along with me (the first one he's ever read!) and we have talked about the idea of getting one at HS so we've been wondering about it ever since you'd mentioned you were getting one. I'll save my other questions for the TR when you get to that part! :) Of course at this point our income is down $1k a month (LOOOONG story involving some missing paperwork, NOT our fault, but it happened with no warning! We'll get it retroactive eventually but I don't know about you, $1k a month really hurts the budget!) so I'll be happy to just get the trip paid off before next summer!

Remind me what state y'all are in? We hoping to move to Texas. One of these days I'm gonna do a Disboutiquers "Roll Call" and find out how far everyone here is from Dallas/Fort Worth so I'll feel like I already know people there before we move! We're looking at being about 30-45 minutes north of DFW.

Hi Everybody!
and then we also went to an outdoor antique event and I found this in the barn out back. printed in 1965 (not truly an antique) I thought the gown was unique, different than the books I have for DD3 now, I immediately thought of all of you and that someone might want to make a dress from it.

I had this Book when I was little it had been passed down from my cousins! Who now all work for WDW:rotfl: My Cousin Dani is a Dessert chef at the Poly, and years ago she worked at Beaches and Cream:woohoo:

Thanks this was just what I wanted to hear! The Husband has actually been reading the TR along with me (the first one he's ever read!) and we have talked about the idea of getting one at HS so we've been wondering about it ever since you'd mentioned you were getting one. I'll save my other questions for the TR when you get to that part! :) Of course at this point our income is down $1k a month (LOOOONG story involving some missing paperwork, NOT our fault, but it happened with no warning! We'll get it retroactive eventually but I don't know about you, $1k a month really hurts the budget!) so I'll be happy to just get the trip paid off before next summer!

Remind me what state y'all are in? We hoping to move to Texas. One of these days I'm gonna do a Disboutiquers "Roll Call" and find out how far everyone here is from Dallas/Fort Worth so I'll feel like I already know people there before we move! We're looking at being about 30-45 minutes north of DFW.

I'll be glad to fill you in on anything else you want to know, of coarse I tend to blab on and on, so you prob won't have any questions left after I get to it in the TR.

I'm honored to be the first TR he has read, I work hard at getting it written quickly, I don't want to disappoint him too much or anything.

Wow yeah that would hurt, at first I thought you said down to 1K and I was thinking how in the world do you survive with 5 kids, I couldn't do it with 1. But being down 1k still would hurt the budget. BTW.... there are several things I do online to earn Disney money (some of them I actually get Disney giftcards, but all of them go straight to the Disney fund) If you ever want to know about them, let me know....it might help with some extras on the trip like the VIP tour ;)

I live in North Carolina....wow Texas will be a huge weather change for you huh?

i just did this the other day, worked fine for me.

So am i the only one who cant change their needle? Its so hard to do so, am i tightening them too much to begin with?

we are also there 9/26-10/3 and i dont think our schedule matches any ones lol

9/26 arrival day HDDR
9/27 DHS, 50primetime, hop to MK
9/28 Epcot, biergarten
9/29 Lunch at Cm and MNSSHP
9/30 DDs bday 12pm BBB and dinner at 1900PF
10/1 AK
10/2 MK, bfast at CP hop to epcot dinner at askerhus

Hi! We'll be at rope drop at DHS for our first park day on the 27th! My daughter will hopefully have her Belle gown on, so come say hi if you see us!

We'll also be at MNSSHP on the 29th. Watch for us in line early wherever they say Snow White will be out with her dwarfs. My daughter will be in her Snow White costume. I'm going as the Evil Queen, but might not have it on long because of the heat......

And we'll be at CRT on 10/2 for early entry breakfast.

Would love to say hi to a fellow DISer!
We will be there the same dates but leaving on Oct 1. Hopefully we can just say hi in passing. We will be at MNSSHP, arriving a bit late but the family with the incredibles t shirts and black shorts.

Could anyone with the Brother PE700ii Pm me? i have a question regarding thread tensions. Thanks.

I added the tutorial on how I make my tiered twirl skirts and tops to my blog - it's a picture tutorial!!

http://my-sweet-sunshine.blogspot.com/

And here's the matching doll set for dd's AG set. (It's what I took picture of for the tute ;) )

IMG_5280.jpg
I think you have some great tutorials and thanks for doing this one for everyone. You are so nice to just share it with all of us.

April, speaking of days in parks, what are you doing? you will be there at the same time as us too.
I was checking and we go to MNSSHP on the 25th. Most of our park days don't seem to match up. If you see us, it will be DS, DH and myself most likely in customs but simple things. Also because of our son meeting others can be difficult. We are just lucky to get in a quick "hello".

I haven't been able to get on for awhile. We decided at last moment to move, because of my husband's family health issues. We looked at a house, put in an offer and were accepted, all in less than a week!! So now, not only do I have a lot of customs to finish for our trip, but I need to pack...sewing seems to win:rolleyes1
I was able to salvage the castle tee. I fused white fabric under the pearlized fabric. It isn't as opaque as I wanted it but it still looks nice.
001.jpg

I made my daughters' the Molly peasant. I love that pattern, I can't wait to make the variations!! My youngest are so funny, they do all the model poses on their own!!
002-1.jpg
003-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

That would be me! I'm about 30 miles north of Dallas, about 40-45 (although if you hit bad traffic it can be a LOT worse) minutes from both airports, possibly a little closer. I'm a midwesterner and I really like it here. Oh, we are in McKinney and we have really great schools too and have lots going on around us. PM me if you want to know more!

Leslie - thanks so much for posting that tutorial for the Vida and the applique tutorial.

these are some of my first sewing attempts. Thanks to the ladies for the wonderful Vida tutorials. I never would have attempted this without you both. And thanks to Carla C. patterns.
Fabulous job!

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

You all have me wanting to try the Vida. I need to learn how to sew buttonholes.

You all seem to love the YCMT site. What is it you all love about it? Are the patterns just really easy? I am new to sewing, so maybe clueless here, but I thought some of the pattern prices were high considering it is in E format - having to print everything and trace everything to a thinner paper.

I thought I would post a picture of Lisa's fantastic Alice dress. My DD went to her Kindergarten orientation today. I am not sure where the last five years went. :(

HannahKindergarten005.jpg
Stunning! LOVE those shoes with it too!

My kids are Abbie, Gray, and Maddie.
I have to tell you this little story....my next door neighbor rents out her house while she teaches at a bording school. One day my kids were all excited to tell me about our new neighbor Gray and her dog Barbara. I was sure they had that backwards as I had never heard of the name Gray but sure enough they were right and she was one of the nicest people I have ever met.

Hey Ladies
has anyone ever made the carla simply sweet reversable? I was thinking of making one side tinkerbell and the other ariel for when we go to Pixie Hollow and ariel's grotto. figured I could just switch around her dress. wondering if this would be difficult? I want to cut down on the amt of outfits I have to bring! LOL! thanks ladies.
Amy
You mean reversable front and back not inside out right? Front and back would be SUPER easy as they are the same!

101_4893.jpg

101_4896.jpg

101_4894.jpg

101_4898.jpg

http://i630.photobucket.com/albums/
uu21/jlrm2/101_4899.jpg

these are some of my first sewing attempts. Thanks to the ladies for the wonderful Vida tutorials. I never would have attempted this without you both. And thanks to Carla C. patterns. These are the best.
Everything I have learned about sewing has been from this board. I am so excited that I know how to sew ,and I look forward to learning much more. I take constructive criticism well, so lay it on me!
WOW!!! Those are all awesome!

I added the tutorial on how I make my tiered twirl skirts and tops to my blog - it's a picture tutorial!!

http://my-sweet-sunshine.blogspot.com/

And here's the matching doll set for dd's AG set. (It's what I took picture of for the tute ;) )

IMG_5280.jpg
So cute! Great tutorial! Thanks!!!

That looks perfect for Lizzie! Look how happy she looks!

Poor Hannah!

What a great back to school outfit!

I haven't been able to get on for awhile. We decided at last moment to move, because of my husband's family health issues. We looked at a house, put in an offer and were accepted, all in less than a week!! So now, not only do I have a lot of customs to finish for our trip, but I need to pack...sewing seems to win:rolleyes1
I was able to salvage the castle tee. I fused white fabric under the pearlized fabric. It isn't as opaque as I wanted it but it still looks nice.
001.jpg

I made my daughters' the Molly peasant. I love that pattern, I can't wait to make the variations!! My youngest are so funny, they do all the model poses on their own!!
002-1.jpg
The castle T looks great! Love those Molly dresses!

DH is threatning to open up a sweat shop in our house.... he saw everyone's reactions to Taylor's outfits and is trying to make me sew to sell....

At least you DH is willing to open one in your house; mine told me last week he was considering sending me to a third world country to work in one:scared1:! I took that as a HUGE compliment though!:yay:

You all have me wanting to try the Vida. I need to learn how to sew buttonholes.

You all seem to love the YCMT site. What is it you all love about it? Are the patterns just really easy? I am new to sewing, so maybe clueless here, but I thought some of the pattern prices were high considering it is in E format - having to print everything and trace everything to a thinner paper.

Button holes aren't bad once you get over the fear. There is a free tutorial on YCMT for button holes.

I don't retrace the YCMT patterns to thinner paper unless you just print part of the pattern and draft the rest like on the A-line but most the time I don't have any issues using them on copy paper.

I will admit that I was put off by the $10 price of the YCMT patterns at first when you compare that to buying commercial patterns on sale for $1. But I am now very reluctant to purchase any commercial patterns. Have you purchased a commercial pattern? There are virtually no directions. The directions of the YCMT patterns (Carla C is my and many here favorite author) are soooooo good. I can without reservation say that I am a better seamstress because of her patterns. And when I do have to purchase a commercial pattern these days I can only get through them by using skills I've learned from Carla's patterns. The great thing about the PDF files is that you can continue to print out multiple sizes.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter