Disappointed in housekeeping... any point in providing feedback?

DisMJ

Earning My Ears
We just returned from a stay at Contemporary Garden Wing. I know that there is lots of talk about how you are paying for location, not deluxe accommodations. I tried to keep this in mind but was pretty disappointed in our room. When we checked in, it was quite apparent that nothing was wiped down... hand prints, etc all over the surfaces. All the doors / common areas were all marked up and just a lot of evident wear and tear inside the room - carpet frayed and damaged doors. Had to get a new fridge and even the replacement was hit or miss. We came back one day and there was a lone glass sitting on the bathroom floor. I can only imagine what they were doing with it? The beds were SO hard, which surprised me for a deluxe resort.

Is there any point in providing feedback to Disney or do they even care?

Last edited:
Write to guest services with your complaints. Be specific but not nit picky.

The beds are firm simply because that is what is recommended for hotels to purchase when many different types of people may be using them especially children. I don't like them either but they aren't bad quality beds (saggy or spring feeling) they are just firm which can be really hard if you aren't use to it. THe hand prints, evident wear and tear inside the room, and frayed carpet I would bring to their attention though.

I would suggest that you email guest services and do as DisMJ suggested. I do wish that you had spoken to the management while you were there in order to get that matter addressed quickly. There is never an excuse for a dirty room.

I would suggest that you email guest services and do as DisMJ suggested. I do wish that you had spoken to the management while you were there in order to get that matter addressed quickly. There is never an excuse for a dirty room.

Why do you think she didn't? I always speak to management (not call but physically go down to the front desk) when I have a problem. I also fire off an email when I get back home. Now most of the time I do get issues resolved but that doesn't mean every thing is ok IMO?

Op, in answer to your question. No disney does not care but that doesn't mean you shouldn't write. You paid for a service, that service was delivered poorly. that's enough for you to let them know they fell down on the job.

I thought that because there was no indication in the post that any conversation with management took place. If I had spoken to management and then still endured a dirty room, I would have been more annoyed that when I got the room in the first place and would have shared that. Perhaps the OP did speak, but never told us the outcome of the conversation.

I did not speak to management. I know that I should have, but I am a bit of a coward I guess. :-( I really didn't know what I would say or what they could have done to make it better - the resort seemed packed and I was skeptical they would actually move us so in my mind, all they would have done was send someone to the room to do a better cleaning. I ended up wiping everything down myself.

Hubby wasn't on board with us moving rooms either, so I didn't really know what to do. We called maintenance for the fridge and the guy just said how ridiculous it was that Disney puts these fridges behind closed doors with no ventilation. It sounds like they are constantly replacing them.

Ultimately I guess housekeeping was only part of my issue. I did find my luggage tags, so that is a positive! Some highs but lots of lows and I wish it were the other way around. I will try to focus on the highs. :-)

If the room is not cleaned to your standards, complain at the time so that they will fix it for you. No way would I clean my own room so that I felt comfortable staying in it.

Did you take any pics of the wear and tear? If so, I would include them in any e-mail you send off.

I do wish that you had spoken to the management while you were there in order to get that matter addressed quickly. There is never an excuse for a dirty room.

Agreed.

Why do you think she didn't?

Because she didn't mention it. If she had talked to them and nothing had been done, then she would KNOW if it was useful to complain, and it would be another complaint.

I did find my luggage tags, so that is a positive!

Well that's good. Quick, too; an hour from when you indicated the thought that they were stolen. Might recommend editing your original post to say you found them so it's not part of the initial complaint people will be reading.

I would have pressed the button on the phone marked Housekeeping and asked them for help. If that didn't work, go to the front desk and talk about it. etc. Get it fixed while you're there.

As for your husband not wanting to move, that's just purposely making your trip more miserable. If you're not complaining and you're not willing to move, they don't know there's a problem AND they don't think it's that big of a problem (if you complain, they want you to move, and you say "no"). So none of that is helping things. In the future, just MOVE. It's an hour of annoyance that will make the rest of your trip better.

My take is different.

I travel a lot for work and family. I use housekeeping as little as possible.

We keep a clean room on our own, so we only ask for a refresh every 2nd or 3rd day. Mostly just for towels.

If the room is "disgusting" when I arrive, I would call house keeping. But simple ware and tear, I would just chalk it up as a hotel room that has "new" residents every 5 days. It is going to get worn.

If there is a glass in the middle of the floor. I'd pick it up and put it on a cart in the hall. A few finger prints..... wipe em down with a wash cloth, discard wash cloth.

I think the problem is a great deal of people don't know how to travel and just expect too much. So much easier to take care of yourself and not get hung up on the small stuff.

My take is different.

We keep a clean room on our own, so we only ask for a refresh every 2nd or 3rd day. Mostly just for towels.

If the room is "disgusting" when I arrive, I would call house keeping. But simple ware and tear, I would just chalk it up as a hotel room that has "new" residents every 5 days. It is going to get worn.

If there is a glass in the middle of the floor. I'd pick it up and put it on a cart in the hall. A few finger prints..... wipe em down with a wash cloth, discard wash cloth.

I think the problem is a great deal of people don't know how to travel and just expect too much. So much easier to take care of yourself and not get hung up on the small stuff.

How sad the state of things when "expecting" a clean room and good housekeeping is now considered "too Much".

LOL, I travel for business, actually this is the first year that I haven't but in my 22 years I probably average 150 days in hotels a year.
Sorry I don't pay 500 bucks a night to have to go somewhere and dust. I can do that for free at home.
Glass in the middle of the floor? seriously? imo if the housekeeper misses glasses left behind basically they didn't clean.

I totally disagree, I know perfectly well how to travel, I think most people do, which is why almost everyone to a tee will agree that disney's standards are lacking and you pay simply for location.

I usually go to Disney during the hot summer months so a dirty room is not a "small" stuff. Especially since we have been to the world many times we spend whole days in our resort and in our room. I have no wish to do it with dirty dishes and dusty furniture. I don't live like that at home, why is it acceptable at Disney? just asking

You seriously go on vacation and clean? God bless you, never gonna happen with my money. lol, Disney is probably the only place where I even have to entertain that thought.

Like I said. A "disgusting" room. I would call and get it fixed.

But I seriously could care less if there were a fingerprint on the sliding glass door, or TV. And a single glass in the room floor. Sounds like the house keeper was cleaning and missed picking that up. Maybe had her hands full with towels and set it down so as not to break it, and never got back to it.

Yes, that should have been caught in their final walk through, but they have only so many minutes in each room.

Finally, yes. It takes a lot of things to "bother me" enough to complain. I have very high standards. Usually, those standards do not get met unless I do it myself. I am totally fine with that. I have learned to not "sweat the small stuff". Life is too short to wait an hour for housekeeping when i could fix the situation on my own in less than 5 mins.

I did not speak to management. I know that I should have, but I am a bit of a coward I guess. :-( I really didn't know what I would say or what they could have done to make it better - the resort seemed packed and I was skeptical they would actually move us so in my mind, all they would have done was send someone to the room to do a better cleaning. I ended up wiping everything down myself.

Hubby wasn't on board with us moving rooms either, so I didn't really know what to do.

s. :-)

Always always always talk to the front desk. In person. They would've sent housekeeping back to do a thorough job. We had an unclean bathroom when we checked into the Grand Floridian a few weeks ago. I took photos, but wiped down the tub etc with chlorox wipes because it was late by the time we got to the room. But first thing next morning I was at the front desk. By the time we returned from Epcot, our bathroom smelled like cleaning products, it was so clean.

If the room is not cleaned to your standards, complain at the time so that they will fix it for you. No way would I clean my own room so that I felt comfortable staying in it.

Did you take any pics of the wear and tear? If so, I would include them in any e-mail you send off.

I agree with the above. If the room was not clean, I'd call and expect them to make it right. They can't fix a problem if you don't let them know about it, and the time to do that is when they can see it, not days or weeks after you get home.

Hubby wasn't on board with us moving rooms either, so I didn't really know what to do. We called maintenance for the fridge and the guy just said how ridiculous it was that Disney puts these fridges behind closed doors with no ventilation. It sounds like they are constantly replacing them.

Ultimately I guess housekeeping was only part of my issue. I did find my luggage tags, so that is a positive! Some highs but lots of lows and I wish it were the other way around. I will try to focus on the highs. :-)
If the room was not clean on arrival, immediately I would have walked back to the front desk and asked if there was another room, if there wasn't, have housekeeping clean. This is not being nit picky. A couple of years ago at another WDW resort we finally got our room after waiting till late afternoon. We were exhausted. But on entering room, there was hair in bathroom & sink area, dirt on carpet, empty water bottle and papers on table.
Front desk said, we'll have housekeeping clean it. I politely said I'm really tired and don't want to wait, is there another room? They moved me, and 5 min later duty manager was at my door. He said he saw room and spoke to housekeeping. The long and short of it was the housekeeping only did a (poor) clean for returning guest, NOT a new guest. That means sheets weren't changed, towels, Ick. He apologized profusely. And we did get a room upgrade.

There's nothing you can do about room wear, but I don't care if it's a Motel 6, you deserve a clean room!

If you can find out the name of the CR housekeeping manager, that's who I'd send a letter to. Mit is unfortunate you didn't address things while there when they could have done something. There is a housekeeping button on the room phone.

Like I said. A "disgusting" room. I would call and get it fixed.

But I seriously could care less if there were a fingerprint on the sliding glass door, or TV. And a single glass in the room floor. Sounds like the house keeper was cleaning and missed picking that up. Maybe had her hands full with towels and set it down so as not to break it, and never got back to it.

Yes, that should have been caught in their final walk through, but they have only so many minutes in each room.

Finally, yes. It takes a lot of things to "bother me" enough to complain. I have very high standards. Usually, those standards do not get met unless I do it myself. I am totally fine with that. I have learned to not "sweat the small stuff". Life is too short to wait an hour for housekeeping when i could fix the situation on my own in less than 5 mins.
that's cool,

I guess the difference is in what you consider "small". like I said, we go in August, we generally only do 1/2 our visit in the parks, so 4-5 days are "down" days. So again a clean room isn't negotiable.
now i 1000% agree, op should have handled the situation immediately, although I still would fire off a letter but I'm the opposite, yep life is too short and I worked ridiculously hard and long for me to ever waste money. my vacation time is simply too valuable, my vacation time where I've dropped 6-7 grand??? oh heck no. sorry you don't employ enough people to clean properly, not my problem but you will give me a clean, dust free, no cigarette butts on the balcony, no dirty dishes, no nasty bathroom room. Usually staying at a Deluxe entails some financial sacrifices during the year so once again, blowing that commitment is not "small" stuff.

I haven't reached that level of zen yet.

Last edited:
At this point just send your email to wdw.guest.communications@disneyworld.com and then don't worry about it as someone will get back to you usually within a week to ten days. I do agree with the rest that you should have said something while you were there as that in theory is always better. But with that said, by no means does it guarantee that they would have sent anyone to come clean the room right away or that they would have been able to move you to another room even if you wanted that.

Last edited:
11ce3.jpg

I actually think it is a little unfair not to complain at the time but to send an email later as you didn't give them the chance to fix at least the cleaning issues

I agree a room should be very clean and if it weren't I would walk to the front desk and speak to someone straight awAy. Wear and tear not much can be done immediately and is be more inclined to overlook

How sad the state of things when "expecting" a clean room and good housekeeping is now considered "too Much".

LOL, I travel for business, actually this is the first year that I haven't but in my 22 years I probably average 150 days in hotels a year.
Sorry I don't pay 500 bucks a night to have to go somewhere and dust. I can do that for free at home.
Glass in the middle of the floor? seriously? imo if the housekeeper misses glasses left behind basically they didn't clean.

I totally disagree, I know perfectly well how to travel, I think most people do, which is why almost everyone to a tee will agree that disney's standards are lacking and you pay simply for location.

I usually go to Disney during the hot summer months so a dirty room is not a "small" stuff. Especially since we have been to the world many times we spend whole days in our resort and in our room. I have no wish to do it with dirty dishes and dusty furniture. I don't live like that at home, why is it acceptable at Disney? just asking

You seriously go on vacation and clean? God bless you, never gonna happen with my money. lol, Disney is probably the only place where I even have to entertain that thought.

I absolutely agree with you. I also know how to travel and I know exactly what I am paying for. I expect that my room will be cleaned o an acceptable standard, and dirty dishes, fingetprints on mirrors and hair in the bathroom are not up to my standards. My mindset is that I am not just paying for location, I am paying for a clean room, fresh towels and hot water.

WEll it is too late to address the main concern, which was your comfort. If you do not complain you have no idea what the outcome would have been. I have never walked into a dirty room, but I have had problems with the door and the fridge. If you do nto alert the management they have no idea that there is a problem. I would have given them the opportunity to make it right. While dirty rooms are not okay, if they were busy the CM coul dhave been distracted and just lost her place. It is not okay but it happens and that is something that can be fixed.

As to changing rooms, you may not have had to do that. There may have been a mousekeeper available who could have come up to clean the room.

The problem with letting something like this go is that you don't vacation in a vaccuum. Things that would probably be little things that just happen during a trip start to be magnified becausae you always have to come bacl to that room.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter