Disability rider swap?

toyotaae86lg

Disney Magic is AMAZING!!!
Hi guys, I did read some thread with above title but didn't quite get my answer. Me, DW and DD3 will be taking parents in law to there first Disney world trip. My father in law is permanently in a power w/c due to a stroke a few years back. He cannot transfer anywhere so he will primarily enjoy the scenery and shows Disney has to offer. As for the attractions though I know the rest of us would like to ride them. My father in law really can't be alone due to any kind of distress or emergency and he's expressive aphasic so has a hard time communicating. Can we use the rider swap for this situation so that someone stays with him and then swap out with another family member to stay with him for the 2nd ride?

I've never heard of an actual "disability rider swap" though similar has been discussed at times. Rider Swap is offered on rides with a height requirement, and it can be hit-or-miss whether CMs allow it to be used for any person who is technically tall enough but is not riding for whatever reason. That said, you are welcome to ask. Depending how tall your DD is, she may be too short for some rides and would therefore qualify you for Rider Swap. But I'd plan FP+ for rides that are must-do.

Also, many rides do not require a transfer, so your FIL is welcome to ride in his chair.

Enjoy your vacation!

I asked for the same thing at PP, and was told that rider swap was only given for height issues. And provided person was tall enough (or in the case of PP there was no height restriction) then no rider swap would be given. We had to ride individually, with the regular wait. No swaps for mobility issues.

I think disney should come up with something to help people with this problem as the OP can not be the only one with this problem

The actual answer is that Rider Swap is not just for height and would apply in situations like this.
But, not every attraction has Rider Swap available - it's basically only the attractions with height requirements that have it available. Because of that and because probably 99.9% of people asking for it are using it for too small children that is probably why CMs give the answer that it's just for height.

If your 3 yr old is too short, you would be able to do a Rider Swap for those attractions that offer it with no problem. You can always ask for a lead CM if you do run into issues. That CM will know what the actual rule is for the attraction.

Keep in mind that you will have 3 Fastpasses that can be preschedule do. Even though he don't be riding, you can still schedule a Fastpass for that attraction for him. The first group can ride while one person waits with him, then the person who waited uses their own Fastpass to ride and one person who already rode can use his Fastpass to ride a second time.

Keep in mind that you will have 3 Fastpasses that can be preschedule do. Even though he don't be riding, you can still schedule a Fastpass for that attraction for him. The first group can ride while one person waits with him, then the person who waited uses their own Fastpass to ride and one person who already rode can use his Fastpass to ride a second time.
You can also stagger the FP+ somewhat and do 2:00-3:00 and then 2 from 2:20-3:20. That way you don't have to be at every attraction at the start of the window to make sure there's time for both groups to ride. For rides with single rider it may just be easier to use that. Two people could still go through single rider so they don't wait twice alone. They'll only be separated when riding.

I don't know how well this will work at WDW, but at DLR there are some rides which require a transfer where a powerchair could still go through the queue. You may have better luck getting a rider swap if you all wait in the queue and ask for an accommodation before loading. It would be a risk though, as someone might end up going through the line to be told no, and then not ride at all.

We are going to Disney World in August with my disabled mother-in-law who is almost completely non-verbal and can't be left alone. We will be using a wheelchair but she is able to walk and transfer with our help. However, we will only be able to take her on the tamest rides. The Disney customer service people told me that we will be able to use Rider Swap on any ride that has it available and to ask about possible accommodations other rides at the wheelchair entrance (if available).

I will update based on our experience after we return from our trip in mid-August to let you know if I had any issues or if I figure out any tips.

We are going to Disney World in August with my disabled mother-in-law who is almost completely non-verbal and can't be left alone. We will be using a wheelchair but she is able to walk and transfer with our help. However, we will only be able to take her on the tamest rides. The Disney customer service people told me that we will be able to use Rider Swap on any ride that has it available and to ask about possible accommodations other rides at the wheelchair entrance (if available).

I will update based on our experience after we return from our trip in mid-August to let you know if I had any issues or if I figure out any tips.
You need to take everything told to you over the phone about park operations with a grain of salt. The Customer Service CM are not trained in park operations. Many aren't even located in florida and some have not even visited a park. Its ultimately up to the park operations cms to determine what if any accommodations they can provide you.

ask about possible accommodations other rides at the wheelchair entrance

Welcome to the DISboards and the disABILITIES Forum!

You might find some helpful information in the disABILITIES FAQ thread pinned near the top of this forum. I wanted to point out that there are very few "wheelchair entrances" at WDW. The majority of queues are mainstreamed, meaning wheelchairs or other mobility devices generally enter through the same queue as everyone else -- either standby or FP+. If she needs moving walkways slowed, or seating in a certain area for visual needs, you do request those things at the attraction. I'm not sure what other possible accommodations you might have in mind. We'd be glad to offer tips or suggestions if you have questions.

Enjoy your vacation!

Here is the list of Rider Swap attractions, it does not appear that this has updated yet with SDMT:

From here (Click "Read More" Next to "Attractions Offering Rider Switch: https://disneyworld.disney.go.com/guest-services/rider-switch/

Magic Kingdom Park
Frontierland
Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
Splash Mountain

Storybook Circus
The Barnstormer

Tomorrowland
Space Mountain
Stitch’s Great Escape
Tomorrowland Indy Speedway

Epcot
Future World
Mission: SPACE
Soarin'
Test Track

Disney’s Hollywood Studios
Rock ’n’ Roller Coaster Starring Aerosmith
Star Tours® - The Adventures Continue
Twilight Zone Tower of Terror

Disney’s Animal Kingdom Park
DINOSAUR
Expedition Everest - Legend of the Forbidden Mountain®
Kali River Rapids
Primeval Whirl

From Disney's website:
What Is Rider Switch and How Does It Work?
If Guests in your party don’t want to board an attraction, you don’t have to miss out. One adult can wait with the non-rider while the rest of the party experiences the attraction. The waiting adult can then board the attraction without having to wait in the regular line again when another adult in the party returns to supervise the child or children who do not ride—either because they do not meet the height requirement or simply do not wish to ride.

This specifies that it is NOT just for height requirements. I haven't used rider swap for reasons other than 1 child not being tall enough, but would definitely ask to speak for a lead or manager if I was refused rider swap just because both my children are tall enough considering Disney's own website tells me I can use it if one of them does not WANT to ride.

What the official policy states and what happens at the attractions are not the same. I have been denied the rider swap pass in the past...the only times I could ever get it was when one of the children were too small.

I have seen someone who was tall enough to ride but did not want to ride the CM told them to go in the regular line at the end the person that dose not want to ride would wait off to the side and then they would triad off ( this was at TOT) I was thinking that is really going to work I did not see what happened to them when they got on to the load area ( but like I said that made no since to me)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter