Dis Viking River Cruise 10/19 - 10/26/2015

I've been thinking alot about this trip, probably because my parents are on a similar itinerary with a different river cruise line right now and keep torturing me with pictures! I was on the cruise critic message board and someone who returned from the most recent cruise on the Rinda had this to say:

"Onboard I was told that the issue that created the docking changes was a concern from the Port Authority that turning a boat the size of the Rinda may present a navigational hazard for smaller tour boats in the area. Viking has arranged a demonstration on September 15th to show that they are able to turn the boat in under 5 minutes and if that threshold is met the Rinda will be allowed to dock at the Viking owned facility near the Eiffel Tower. Apparently the Mayor of Paris and the CEO of Viking will be among those in attendance."

Fingers crossed that this demonstration goes well and we will all be sipping champagne/cider on the top deck of the Rinda watching the Eiffel Tower twinkle in about a month. And if not, we'll still all be sipping champagne/cider together, just slightly out of town!

Laurie

Also, if we are still docking in Le Pecq, I received the following information from the Rinda's program director, Michael Bright, and thought I would pass it along in case it is helpful. The reps at the airport can send your luggage to the ship so that you don't have to travel with it out to Le Pecq and then head back into Paris for sightseeing. This can also be done from the Port of Grenelle where the smaller Viking ships are still able to dock. Shuttles from Le Pecq to Paris are at 11:30 AM and 2:00 PM (drop off at Grand & Petit Palais). Shuttles from Paris (meeting place in front of the statue of Winston Churchill, on the corner of the Petit Palais) to Le Pecq at 5 PM and 9 PM. Also, there are vehicles on standby at Port de Grenelle until 5PM.

Laurie

Eiffel.jpg

Thanks for the update on the docking issue. I hope the test goes well, but am prepared to enjoy myself either way. I'm so behind on planning for this trip I'm almost ashamed of myself! I have hardly done anything! Time to get my head in the game for sure.

Thank you for the updates!
I also hope this test goes well. It will make my planning much easier.

:sail:Laurie...thanks for the update on docking. No matter where we are we'll just be happy to be in France again. So looking forward to this trip!

Important update: I have begun the pile of things to take to Paris. So far it has passports 13 euro and an awesome toiletry bag in it! This trip is getting so close!

Important update: I have begun the pile of things to take to Paris. So far it has passports 13 euro and an awesome toiletry bag in it! This trip is getting so close!

I did a test packing last week. I have managed to pack all my toiletries and clothes in my carry on bag. I packed all my electronics in a backpack. I put the duffle bag we got from ABD in my backpack for purchases. I have €10 in change from my last trip that will be going in my bag soon. I can't believe this trip with s almost here. :)

Got my documents yesterday!!
Yay, documents dance!

I did a test packing last week. I have managed to pack all my toiletries and clothes in my carry on bag. I packed all my electronics in a backpack. I put the duffle bag we got from ABD in my backpack for purchases. I have €10 in change from my last trip that will be going in my bag soon. I can't believe this trip with s almost here. :)

You are my packing hero!

This is impressive! I am thinking there is no way I can do this with "winter" clothes! lol

This is impressive! I am thinking there is no way I can do this with "winter" clothes! lol

I was in Paris this past December and I used a regular size suitcase on that trip. I had long underwear, coats and tons of sweaters and jeans.
On this trip I don't need 2 coats and long underwear. I was shocked at how much stuff my carry-on could hold.

Climate Conditions in Paris & Normandy

Checking the weather.com page for Paris and it looks like average highs are in the mid- to upper-50's while we are there. Lows in the low- to mid-40's. Normandy is apparently a degree or two higher.

Pack those layers!!!

My parents just got back. We're heading up to Sandusky this weekend to see them and will get all of the details, but one thing they did say is that it was much chillier than expected, especially along the coast.

Laurie

Us too, Kathy! I believe this is the result of Kevin's tireless advocacy on our behalf when the first sets were sent all over the place. Now I have a set to leave with my parents, which is nice!

Laurie

Thank you Laurie.

When these reservations were booked, I asked that all documents go directly to my guests.

Well...that didn't happen.

Some went to our NJ address. Some came to our home...not our personal documents of course, but other folks...and some went who knows where.

After calling Viking and going carnival ape crazy.....everyone got a set sent directly to their home address from Viking.

If your original documents showed up somewhere other than your home and we know where they went...we have forwarded them to you. This is the reason for duplicates.

My goal was to make sure you all had at least one set of your documents.

If you received two...well...there you go.:sail:

TWENTY FIVE DAYS TILL OUR RIVER CRUISE :jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1:

Thank you Laurie.

When these reservations were booked, I asked that all documents go directly to my guests.

Well...that didn't happen.

Some went to our NJ address. Some came to our home...not our personal documents of course, but other folks...and some went who knows where.

After calling Viking and going carnival ape crazy.....everyone got a set sent directly to their home address from Viking.

If your original documents showed up somewhere other than your home and we know where they went...we have forwarded them to you. This is the reason for duplicates.

My goal was to make sure you all had at least one set of your documents.

If you received two...well...there you go.:sail:

TWENTY FIVE DAYS TILL OUR RIVER CRUISE :jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1::jumping1:
Thank you Kevin!!! We got our set from (forwarded from Dreams) and then got the one Viking sent via your command yesterday.

Can you get them to move the ship to dock in Paris next? :) Has anyone heard if they got permission, or if that "test run" of the docking ever happened?

Thank you Kevin!!! We got our set from (forwarded from Dreams) and then got the one Viking sent via your command yesterday.

Can you get them to move the ship to dock in Paris next? :) Has anyone heard if they got permission, or if that "test run" of the docking ever happened?

I asked about this and they had no idea what I was talking about.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter