DIS docs and nurses--Update #7

minkydog

DIS Cast Member
I'm a peds nurse, so I'm not altogether uneducated, but this is.out of my field. My knees have felt swollen for at least a week ,and now they are.visibly swollen. My left elbow feels tight and there is 2-3+ pitting edema over both shins.

Obviously, this isn't good but I'm not sure how worried I should be. I tried to get an appt with my doctor, but they can't see.me before Thursday. I have no shortness of breath or chest pain or cough. For now I'm working from home with my feet up, trying to decide how aggressive I need to be.about this. I have never had feet or leg.swelling.

I'd go to a walk-in.

Could be cardiac/pulmonary.
Could be arthritic/septic joints.
Could be renal.

I think you need evaluation by an MD before Thursday.

I'm not a doctor or a nurse, but I would try to see a doctor before Thursday just to be on the safe side ... I would first try calling your doctor's office again, explain your symptoms, and then ask them to let you come in sooner or to see if they maybe had a cancellation ... Otherwise, if you notice the swelling is getting worse, I would definitely consider going to the ER ... I hope it goes away and you feel better soon :)

Pea-n-Me said:
Have you been sitting more than usual?

Actually, I've been walking more. I got a new pound pup about 10 days ago. He's not reliably house trained, so I'm walking him for 10-20 min every 2hrs. I do have severe arthritis in my feet and my gait is "off" lately due to not being able to bend the left foot. It's making me put more weight onto the right knee.

::yes::You don't mention your age or if you are taking any medications you might be reacting to. Since you said you have arthritis do you take any nsaids? Swelling can be a reaction to those and many other drugs. How long ago did it begin?

I agree you should try to be seen asap in the office. You mentioned the difficulty breathing issue so I know you will seek immediate care if you develop serious symptoms, right? ::yes::

UPDATE--

I did finally go to Urgent Care yesterday evening. Had some blood drawn and an EKG, which was fine. My BP was up though, 139/70. It's rarely over 128/70 and usually in the 117/70 range. So that is significantly changed. The MD didn't really do anything, other than check out my heart and lungs and make sure I wasn't going to die or anything.

Today I had a routine checkup with my rhemutologist. She about fainted when she saw the 3+ pitting edema clear up to my knees! (My DD19 said, "holy cow mom! What happened to you? You always had great legs!":p) My BP today was 149/77. Oh, and I've gained over 15-lbs since December! I knew my pants were getting tight, and I had to take off my wedding ring a couple months ago, but I didn't realize it was that bad. My knees are still killing me, soooo stiff too. They did xrays on my knees and found the Psoriatic Arthritis has invaded my knee joints. Great. There is fluid inside both knee joints. The MD gave me cortisone injections in both knees. He put me on HCTZ (a diuretic) and told me to reduce the NSAID and stop the Plaquenil (for arthritis.) And they drew more blood.

Arrrg...Nurses make the WORST patients! I guess I need to call my PCP tomorrow and let her know what's going on. For now, I'm putting my feet up. i'm supposed to put ice on 15/off 15, but i can't tolerate the cold. Walking the dog is killing my knees. I guess I'll have to get DH and DD to take him out a few times.

Minky,

So sorry to hear you are feeling unwell! I hope you get to feeling better, ASAP!

my dad has psoriatic arthritis...a good round of steroids usually calms his down when it flares. and i agree nurses are horrible patients..takes one to know one :wave2:

You know you need to watch your salt, too. ;) Glad you got some answers.

Yeah, I know. I hate a low sodium diet. No popcorn. No caesar salad. No bread. Nothing tastes good without salt. DH was low sodium for a few years and it was pure hell.

Yeah, I know. I hate a low sodium diet. No popcorn. No caesar salad. No bread. Nothing tastes good without salt. DH was low sodium for a few years and it was pure hell.
You should still be able to have those if you modify how you eat them!

I'm glad you were seen. What reason did she give for taking you off the Plaquenil? Just curious.

I'm glad you were seen. What reason did she give for taking you off the Plaquenil? Just curious.

I'm on Enbrel. She feels that the Plaquenil is a weaker drug and probably isn't helping all that much. Fine by me. I'm taking a ton of meds and I'd welcome the chance to drop one.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter