Dis Dad's Geek Thread

We've held the line against 1st person shooter games so far at our house. I know it is just a matter of time before DS10 wants to play them, but DS12 is kind of freaked out by them, so we've been staying away. Helps that we only have a Wii and DS (don't have as many of those games)

HP1-4 was amazing. That one, the Lego Star Wars Saga and the Lego POTC saga are my favorite Lego games.

DS16...almost DS17...really wants one of the shooters...but we've just told him that they are too violent and we do not want that in our house. SW_Battlefront is as far as we go...and it is rated T.

Looking to buy the 3DS for my kids for the holidays...

What are your experiences with battery life?

Curious about Battery Life too...I was playing with a Demo of the 3d Mario game at Best Buy the other day...Graphics looked good with the 3D mode turned off...

Pretty neat technology with it turned on though...my inner-geek-engineering technician side wants to know how they do that.

Yeah...allot of Shooter games coming out...with adults playing them...I don't play those...if it's rated more than a T well chances are I don't get it.

Most popular games are far to graphic and violent. As an aside...Star Wars Battlefront 1 and 2 for the original Xbox are still in my collection...as i enjoy snipering droids.

I am an old school PC gamer. I played countless hours online of Rainbow 6 (the original), Tribes, Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament (the original), Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, CoD 4 (Modern Warfare 1), and Combat Arms to name a few.

My dilemma: I wanted to play the new CoD Modern Warfare 3. This meant I would either have to upgrade my current PC or try to play on the PS3 or XBox 360. Well, since I am a married man with children - the upgrading the computer was ruled out because of the 'bang for your buck' factor. After some extensive research of PS3 vs XB 360, I finally decided to try the XBox 360 version.

Next dilemma: I suck at using those controllers for FPS games. Like I said, I am old school PC gamer so I am used to a mouse/keyboard setup. Again, after more extensive research I found an excellent solution: XIM3. It is an interface that allows you to use your keyboard and mouse with XBox 360 games (and it works on the PS3 also!) I ordered it and got it set up and I have to say that I was BLOWN AWAY! Finally, I can play FPS games on the consoles with the old school interface I was so used to. I have played through about half of the single player missions on MW3 and did some single player Survival modes. Once I get a little more proficient with the controls and get a better feel of the game, I will be ready to try out the ever-so-addictive multiplayer modes.

I have found a new outlet for my stress. XIM3 + XBox 360 + Modern Warfare 3 = pure awesomeness! :3dglasses

Looking to buy the 3DS for my kids for the holidays...

What are your experiences with battery life?

Very good actually. A good 4 if not closer to 6 hours.

Our 3 kids use the 3D part very differently when they play it. One doesn't use it at all, one only a little and one all the way up. It does take some getting used to and I find myself adjusting it frequently (or just leaving it off).

I am an old school PC gamer. I played countless hours online of Rainbow 6 (the original), Tribes, Tribes 2, Unreal Tournament (the original), Battlefield 1942, Battlefield 2, CoD 4 (Modern Warfare 1), and Combat Arms to name a few.

My dilemma: I wanted to play the new CoD Modern Warfare 3. This meant I would either have to upgrade my current PC or try to play on the PS3 or XBox 360. Well, since I am a married man with children - the upgrading the computer was ruled out because of the 'bang for your buck' factor. After some extensive research of PS3 vs XB 360, I finally decided to try the XBox 360 version.

Next dilemma: I suck at using those controllers for FPS games. Like I said, I am old school PC gamer so I am used to a mouse/keyboard setup. Again, after more extensive research I found an excellent solution: XIM3. It is an interface that allows you to use your keyboard and mouse with XBox 360 games (and it works on the PS3 also!) I ordered it and got it set up and I have to say that I was BLOWN AWAY! Finally, I can play FPS games on the consoles with the old school interface I was so used to. I have played through about half of the single player missions on MW3 and did some single player Survival modes. Once I get a little more proficient with the controls and get a better feel of the game, I will be ready to try out the ever-so-addictive multiplayer modes.

I have found a new outlet for my stress. XIM3 + XBox 360 + Modern Warfare 3 = pure awesomeness! :3dglasses

Nice solution! I've got nothing against the first person shooter games (and would really like to get COD or some of the other games out now), but with a 12 and 11 year old in the house, there's no way I could keep them from playing if I got it.

Nice solution! I've got nothing against the first person shooter games (and would really like to get COD or some of the other games out now), but with a 12 and 11 year old in the house, there's no way I could keep them from playing if I got it.

One good thing about MW3 is that you can turn off the excessive violence. But I hear you. I have a DS 11, but I keep him occupied with other stuff while I hook up the 360 in my office to the computer monitor. With the XIM3, (and the 360 hidden around the corner of the desk) it looks like I am just playing a computer game. :laughing:

One good thing about MW3 is that you can turn off the excessive violence. But I hear you. I have a DS 11, but I keep him occupied with other stuff while I hook up the 360 in my office to the computer monitor. With the XIM3, (and the 360 hidden around the corner of the desk) it looks like I am just playing a computer game. :laughing:

You sir are my hero :thumbsup2

You sir are my hero :thumbsup2

No, sir. I am evil. This is the XBox 360 that is the Christmas gift for the family. I just couldn't wait until Christmas to start playing MW3. Hence the reason I have to hide it to make it look like I am playing the PC.

I feel terrible about doing that. Well, maybe not. Does that make me a bad dad? :confused3 I kept all the packaging and it will appear brand new when they see it Christmas morning. It won't be wrapped anyway -DW grew up in a household that Santa never wraps presents. I find that disturbing, but you all know how that goes - DW wins that battle. :laughing:

How does one turn off excessive violence...when the object of the game is to shoot and kill? :confused3

Sneaky playing with the Christmas gift before Christmas. :thumbsup2

BTW... Lego Harry Potter: Years 5-7...every bit as good as LHP:y1-4

We've actually dropped playing Disney Universe...for LHP:5-7

Often me and the kids will converse in Lego Mini-Language. hmmm...ugh...mmmuh...huh....nnnn

:lmao:

How does one turn off excessive violence...when the object of the game is to shoot and kill? :confused3

It has an option to reduce "disturbing" cutscenes in the single player portion. Of course you can't disable violence altogether, since this is a game based on a World War 3-type scenario. I definitely won't let my DS 11 play it or watch me play it. But I enjoy it immensely as an adult who knows how to discern the difference between a violent video game and knowing not to take that type of view outside of that fabricated environment. It received an M (Mature) rating for a reason - too bad many parents overlook that rating and let their children play games like this. :sad2:

too bad many parents overlook that rating and let their children play games like this. :sad2:

Yeah! I wish parents would make their kids go to bed instead of playing this. I'm tired of getting my butt kicked by 12 yr olds!

Yeah! I wish parents would make their kids go to bed instead of playing this. I'm tired of getting my butt kicked by 12 yr olds!

...and that!

Even my XIM3 setup cannot overcome the 'age factor'. But at least my butt is kicked a little less now. :rotfl:

Has anyone played Temple Run from the iTunes store? Pretty fun and addicting. My kids and I really enjoy taking turns.

Resurrecting an idle thread. Do any of you use Zello? It's a free global Push-To-Talk application for iPhone, Android, PC and Mac. Instead of talking one-on-one, you can create a channel and talk with people who share the same interest as you. I heard about it on a non-Disney podcast and have been lurking on a couple of channels to see how it works. Of course, you have those that push the First Amendment to its non-kid friendly limit but there are some channels that are pretty good.

Resurrecting an idle thread. Do any of you use Zello? It's a free global Push-To-Talk application for iPhone, Android, PC and Mac. Instead of talking one-on-one, you can create a channel and talk with people who share the same interest as you. I heard about it on a non-Disney podcast and have been lurking on a couple of channels to see how it works. Of course, you have those that push the First Amendment to its non-kid friendly limit but there are some channels that are pretty good.

That sounds like something that might be cool for the DisDads to do!!:thumbsup2

New member and life long geek checking in.
Star Wars
Star Trek
Princess Bride
Civilization series
Comic Books

OK . . . is anyone picking up any of the Before Watchmen comics that DC will start putting out next week?

I'm undecided, but will probably get them all anyway. I'll definitely be grabbing Minuteman and Silk Spectre.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter