Dis Breast Cancer Survivors Part IV - GAGWTA

Janet - :bday:party::yay::yay:
and of course we cant forget the :cake::cake:and more:cake:

Hoping your day was wonderful and the year ahead will be filled with many blessings for you
Thankyou!! and the same back to you!! It was really nice, family dinner, I cooked a huge prime rib because I didnt' trust anyone else to do it!! LOL! it was soooo good! I LOVE my new oven!! hubby and I don't do gifts for each other, we save them up for our trips and pick things out together :)

Hello again! Thank you all for the kind words. The funeral was a week ago today and was very nice, it was short and sweet. There were so many flowers! I went to a floral shop and ordered some single stems and arranged them myself at home...brought them to the funeral home and set them in front next to her picture. She loved it when I would bring in flowers from the yard and arrange them.

Everyone is doing okay, my Dad has been keeping surprisingly busy! I bring dinner over whenever I mow the grass. He has gone to see a movie, went out to eat a few times, and is starting to go back to the college to get things settled for when he goes back to work. He is also starting physical therapy on the "good" leg in a week or so, so he will be on crutches soon. He is very excited! :crutches: His last checkup went perfectly. Family that lives closer is helping keep the house in order. My Grandma's sister came up to visit for awhile, so she has been hanging out at home with her.

The thing I find the most frustrating about all this....I find myself often thinking of texting Mom like usual...how my day is going, odd or funny things that happen, ect. I'll go to get my phone and then I'll be like "Oh, right." Very frustrating. I went back to work on Tuesday this week and been keeping busy that way. I needed to go back but I wonder if it was maybe a couple days too soon. Last night I got very upset over a missed FaceTime call from Mom when she was in the hospital and I cried and cried.:sad: You always think there will be a "next time" I guess. My boyfriend has been doing so great with everything, he has been a huge help and Mom really liked him. My Dad really appreciates having him around.

We are likely going to California next summer to spread her ashes along the coast like she wanted. I am both looking forward to and dreading the trip. I must say it will be nice to revisit and maybe see some new places, like Cambria. I myself have a trip to Gatlinburg and Richmond coming up....I am keeping Mom's hobby alive! She was always interested to hear our plans for it. :drive:

Smiley, your Dahlia story made me smile...I may do something like that when I plant flowers in the yard again on Mother's Day next year :flower1:
Dear Emily, ( one of my grand daughters name is Emily :) ) I am so sorry you are going through this. I had a big cry reading your post, and am sending you a big virtual mom hug!!! I lost my mom in my mid 30's and that was and has been hard. Our grand daughters lost their daddy (our son) when they were 1, 3,5, and 7 years old and that has been one of the very hardest things, it is just not right to lose a parent so young! My daughters and I text several times a day, and one thing that has kept me fighting so hard, it that I don't want to bring any more pain to them or our grand children. I know your mom was like that, didn't want to bring you pain. hubby and I are planning our next trip down the california coast and to disneyland, and i feel so sad to not have your mom here to plan and plot with, and I am really sad she never had a chance to post any pictures or much detail about the trip her and your dad just went on. On a previous trip, they stayed at an inn on moonstone beach in cambria, based on my recommendation, and she loved it so! going to sleep listening to the waves crash on the beach. I know that when we visit there again, I will feel her spirit there. our youngest daughter got together with her about to be fiance (he is going to propose and she doesn't know yet, but we do! ) about the same time that her brother (our son) was killed. He has been amazing!! and we are so grateful to have him in our lives! Thankyou for coming back to post here, you don't realise how very much it is appreciated!! We all really miss Cheryl here :( I am glad your dad is doing so well, and so glad he has lot's of help! take care

LMV, it is wonderful to hear the blood clot is history, but sorry you are still on the blood thinner. I hope the hematologist you see tomorrow has some answers. How does your DS3 like his new job. Good luck to your DS1. DD25 is putting her resume out there, although she does have a good job for now. It seems this generation likes to jump around when it comes to jobs?

Smiley, I have never heard of achalasia, but I agree try to stay with the non-invasive approach as long as you can, although it sounds like it has plagued you for 15 years. That is a long time.

I managed to plan a short NYC getaway. Doing stuff with DD25 and my brother, including an off Broadway play that opens with a short video DD25 made for it up on a huge screen, then a fund benefit event that my brother helped plan. I haven't been to visit the Whitney museum since they moved to their new digs, so that is on my too do list too. And of course the Met, as usual. Trying out a new hotel that just opened a few weeks ago in midtown that I am a little nervous about, but I got a great rate, so I am hoping for the best.

I must getting set in my ways, I like to be in my comfort zone, I guess that is why I like returning to the Boardwalk at WDW.

GAGWTA everyone!

Snappy that sounds like fun! New York I mean! lol...I hear you about comfort zones. There have been some mornings lately I have woken up and thought, even if I could teleport right into Disneyland for the day, I wouldn't want to :( that is saying a lot!! thankfully those days are still not many, today is one of them though! I am just so glad to be in my own home! It has turned chilly here now, and the rain came back after being in a drought for the whole summer!! it was more like California here than anything we have experienced before. Showed me that I really don't think I would want to actually live there after all! I made a lovely hearty healthy stew, the woodstove is going, I am watching the 1968 version of The Thomas Crown Affair, and I am still in my pj's! lol!! I am however spending part of the day working on plans for our trip in January! :) Our annual passes expire in February, so we are going to get one more trip out of them, to see the new amazing things they have for the 60th anniversary. I found a stunning vanity for the 3rd and final bathroom reno, so that is waiting to get going. It is a beautiful antique style solid wood, with lovely carved legs and a warm gold granite top. I am pretty excited to get it done, but cleaning everything out of the bathroom is what is holding us back! Anyway I am just babbling on here now, will say GAGWTA!

Laurie - hope you enjoy your NY trip. Sounds like you have a great plan and will be busy for sure.

Minky - hope you are healing

Peg - how is your class going? I know you said you go to the Halloween Party. Do you go to the Food and Wine?

Well I am back from the hematologist. They took 4 vials of blood,after I talked to the np and the dr. they took another 4 vials. He said they will do alot of testing and it takes 2 weeks for the results since alot of it is genetic testing. I still have to stay on the blood thinner for another month. Depending on the test results, he said he might switch me to a daily baby aspirin.

I go back in 2 weeks. sigh.

Tomm. I will be cooking for the picnic sunday since it was cancelled last week due to the rain threat which never materialized.

Ds3 is excited as he applied for the day shift position on the same floor. He doesnt know if he will get it but has a good chance. He will lose $5k but he said the sanity is worth it. They said of the last 4 day shift openings none of the night shift people wanted to switch so his chances are good. It might be.

Dh is having trouble with his foot and I told him to go to the podiatrist, maybe the gout or planters fasciitis??

Hope your son got the day shift that he wants, LMP.

Smiley, the vanity for your remaining bathroom sounds lovely. You guys have done so much renovating. I am jealous! Pictures of the finished product are hereby requested.

I am back in the south. What a whirlwind trip! It was such a treat to enjoy cool dry breezes AND sunny skies. I got lucky! DD25 opted to stay with me at my room at the hotel so that was an unexpected bonus! She picked me up from Laguardia, then we hopped over to Brooklyn so I could see her new apartment, and then we headed to our hotel. Nice new place, clean, with a view of the Empire state building from the room and the bathroom! Good location too between 5th and 6th on 36th street, so I wasn't far from the LES or the museums. I will try and post a picture tonight after work, I only had my cell phone as I wanted to travel light this time since it was only me. The play was original and fun, the benefit for the theatre that my brother is involved with was a blast and I got a bargain on one night stay at a great hotel which we stayed at last year located on my brother's street in the lower east side for half price at the silent auction. We also saw another off Broadway play that was so so Tuesday night, and enjoyed a couple of great dinners at Balthazar's and Al Fiori. Last night was at a cool Korean BBQ place where they grill on a big crystal burner sort of like Japanese hibachi. That place was a few doors down from the hotel! very unique and yummy.

I also visited the Whitney museum in its new space in the West Village, MOMA and the Met, by myself as my brother and DD25 were working. I was able to meander around at my own pace. I actually avoided the subway this visit, and walked uptown the entire trip with a few cab rides to the lower east side and one rather expensive Uber ride from Brooklyn to our hotel.

Nice trip, although DD25 is stressed with work issues. Unfortunately, I weighed in on it Monday night and made her even more agitated, so I wish I had kept my big mouth shut. So the trip ended a bit stressfully, with a lot of heated discussion yesterday. She even left her phone in a cab yesterday but luckily she had her computer with her and contacted the yellow cab company somehow. I got a call while she was in a work meeting and met the cab driver to receive the phone, so all ended well, but it certainly added yet another layer of stress.

I think being together so much is a strain on both of us at this stage of our lives. Nice to be home, DH was waiting for me at the New Orleans airport, and DD19 and Naj met me at home at the door. Nice greetings. The view isn't as nice here, but I am loving the loving I am getting.

Got to get busy and get decorated for fall. This little trip put me in the mood. And then there is work. . .

GAGWTA!

Snappy, I so identify. I am in this struggle with DD24. It results in her not talking to me for a while, just texting. She has a decent job, but it stresses her out too. She's an Applecare at Home advisor, Tier 2. Kind of like a Genius on the phone, she gets the hard cases the Tier 1's can't solve. She was telling me last time we talked about her best friend's new job. The friend taught herself enough coding to do website work, and just got a job making 70K. And DD's boyfriend has a degree in CS, at 25 he is a senior developer and making big bucks. DD has a math IQ somewhere in the 150 range, I KNOW she could do this. But she won't. And the boyfriend does not seem to be good for her, and she doesn't do a good job of staying healthy. And I need to MYOB! It's hard. She's so far away.

Told DH all I want for Christmas is to spend it with my family. That's him and DD. And probably the boyfriend. So we are going to Portland for Christmas. She will be working that week, but more good food! And as you all know, if you pay, they will come!

Janet, congrats on 5 years! It's all gravy after a cancer dx, I think. YOLO!

LMP, hope the job situations work out for your sons. Glad to hear your reports are good.

So apparently, my surgeon and oncologist each ordered different tests after my surgery, both very expensive. And insurance is balking. I am really sweating this one out. They are also questioning the brachytherapy. Yikes. Good thing I don't care about my credit rating. Anyway, I am not currently taking hormonal meds. Both tests said low risk, after the biopsy said high risk. I'm again doing some things to keep the estrogen down, but not doing so good on my diet. Whole Foods had some non-GMO, coconut oil, sea salt chips in the doorway. OMG, so so good. Corn is my huge weakness, popcorn, chips, enchiladas, polenta. And it doesn't agree with me really. Sigh.

Laurie - glad your trip to NY was good and that you got to spend time with your dd, albeit the bumps along the way. I am sure its a fine line to walk relationship wise at this age of their lives.

Diana -your Christmas plans sound good and I hope the insurance co. approves your procedures etc. Nothing like fighting with them. I had the go around once with one of my biopsies. I fought alot since it was over $3k I think, but they finally approved it. I think its terrible when we need to focus on getting well and then you have to deal with all of this ins. stuff that you shouldnt even have to be dealing with.

I am trying to keep busy waiting for the test results. I hate waiting and not knowing etc. I should work on the trip stuff like the airline tickets and renewing my ap.

Dh and ds2 are in Calif. Ds2 will come come on Sun. DH on Tues.

Ds3 did not get the day shift. He said my life is over on the night shift, lol! He did say when they hired him they said it was a med/surg telemetry floor but now they have many psych patients and hospice patients on the floor. Oh well I guess since he is the newbie he is stuck.

Ds1 got a job thanks to a guy at our church. Its only part time and nothing in the business field. Its production work in a company. He said he is exhausted but I am glad he is working somewhere. He did have a phone interview the other day for a big national company. These things never seem to go anywhere unfortunately.

GAGWTA.

Hello, Ladies! I haven't been around recently. I had an upper respiratory infection which knocked me low! I finished ten days of antibiotic and am finally feeling like a person again! lol. Unfortunately, I was feeling really lousy for the Halloween party, but I didn't want to waste the tickets. We didn't end up doing a lot. We sat on Main Street for a couple hours watching people enter. We love seeing the costumes. The parade was great, as usual, and we enjoyed the new Hocus Pocus Spelltacular stage show. Sadly, it was extremely crowded. I'm not sure why, but they did a really poor job of clearing non-party guests from the park. We had people sitting all around us for the parade without wrist bands. From reports others have made, the second party was much better. Oh well.

We are looking forward to Food & Wine. Kendall and I always go a few times to see different concerts. Can't wait to see Rick Springfield this year! Of course, we are approaching my favorite time of year at WDW. Last night, I made an ADR for dinner on November 20 at 50's Prime Time. After dinner, we will do the Osborne Lights. So sad that this will be their last year! I also made an ADR for dinner on December 5 at Chefs de France. That's Kendall's favorite Disney restaurant. We plan on spending the day wandering Epcot taking in the Christmas decorations. After dinner, we'll go over to listen to the Candlelight Processional. Hope my feet hold out! lol.

I did get some good news. My latest tests showed my glucose level is fine. The doctor said the prior reading was an anomaly. I am still going to try to lose weight, but I won't be quite so worried over the holidays now that I know I'm not pushing my luck.

I finished my digital design class. It was really enjoyable. If anyone ever needs some photo restoration, just let me know!

Hope all is well! Thinking of you all!

Snappy your trip sounds amazing! my youngest dear daughter turned 27 in Feb and the difference in her, the last year or so is such a good thing! lol!! not that I didn't love her, but she was very prickly when I tried to give any advice, she seemed to take everything as a criticism. now she actually ask for my advice :) I did learn to not say anything unless I was asked though :( She is the one of my 2 that is most like me so that is probably why. I like to think I know best bout everything too! LOL!! I have done some fall decorating already too :) And yes going away is nice but there really is no place like home!
LMP I hope you get good news on your tests! I am due for my MRI next month and I know I will be stressed out waiting to hear! I doubt that ever goes away hey?
Peg I am really glad you got some good news! Sorry you were under the weather for the party! but even not being able to do much and just soaking in the atmosphere is so healing to me! soothes the soul! :) we left to Disneyland 2 days after my last chemo treatment! I didn't care how sick I was going to be!! lol and it was a lot better than being at home! :)
Diana, that sound perfect!! and believe it or not, I am a corn fiend as well!! lol! I am really glad it does agree with me....my all time favourite breakfast at Disneyland, in the California Adventure park, in Flo's V8 cafe in Carsland, is the chicken tamales!! Oh they are heavenly!!! I love grits too.....with bacon bits.... lol!! we can't get them anywhere up here in Canada though, so I always bring home a few boxes on our trips! That sure must be nice to have a daughter who is an apple care genius!! We tried a new wine from Fetzer Valley Oaks, they are a sustainable, green, vineyard in Mendocino county. I am so happy we can get it up here in Canada!! we want to stop in there on our trip on Jan/Feb. I am sure it must be cheaper by the case from them right?! Lol!!

Good to read all of your updates!

It's been busy here with the start of school (twins' senior year) and a bunch of birthdays, getting ready to start college applications, etc. My mother turned 90 years old and we had a big cookout for her here, it was really nice. She said it was the best party she'd ever had! DD and DH made the cake and it came out beautifully. (And was tasty, too - lemon, my mother's favorite!) I was exhausted for days afterward as it was a lot of preparation and clean up, but the house needed a deep cleaning anyway and it was really sort of a perfect day.

Besides three bdays here, we have our wedding anniversary this weekend, and also my cancerversary is this month, too - 12 years, hard to believe. I have an MRI and oncology visit coming up. Last night we went into the North End of Boston for Italian food for our anniversary, it was so good! The smell of garlic is in the air there, yum! And a lot of the storefronts had containers of mums out so it looked so festive for fall. Tonight DS is having friends over for a football game in the yard, will grill some hot dogs or something for them, the boys are easy. I must confess, reading stories of the mid 20's in age doesn't sound fun. Come to think of it, turning 18 soon isn't fun at times, either, lol, but at least we've had some pretty good moments with our trip to FL together last month and they accompanied us to dinner last night (as did SIL and FIL).

Poor Duffy is in a cast for a few weeks, he hurt his wrist somehow, couldn't put pressure on his leg. It hasn't slowed him down, he's still running around, has energy to burn.

image.jpg

PS it was funny, and perhaps a God Wink, that the very day they were making the cake I found two brand new, huge, labels-still-on, heart-shaped cake pans at Savers as I was browsing around during a wee bit of down time. The plan originally was to make a rectangular cake in a regular pan, but these somehow seemed so much more fitting, don't you think? I realize how fortunate we are that she is still here at this age. (But don't mention it to her, she isn't happy hearing that number!)

I know you guys like pictures so I'll share some from the North End

FIL got the mussels, said they were really tasty

image.jpeg

Haddock over homemade fettucini

image.jpeg

This pizza is amazing, it is made with vinegar peppers so it's tangy, so good!
Sort of a play on Fenway Park with sausage, pepper and onion.

image.jpeg

Mums outside store fronts

image.jpeg

Lots of places to sit and watch the world go by

image.jpeg

Many restaurants have open windows, even now (weather was decent, maybe a little cool for some, but some of the restaurants are small and crowded so some fresh air is probably welcome)

image.jpeg

Beautiful window boxes. (Should've done a better job capturing some!)

image.jpg

Boston's South Station, train terminal connecting lots of other trains around and out of the city (our version of Grand Central)

image.jpg

If anyone wants to read the history of the North End: http://www.north-end-boston.com/History

And our little Blackbeard, there's a metal thing at the bottom of the splint it bangs the floor as he walks, lol

image.jpg

Yikes - I almost lost this whole post! I find that if you try to edit, the pictures go away. So I'm going to just copy them here in case they don't come out above and call it a day!! Enjoy!

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpeg

Uh. yum! those mussels look delicious! Just had some street tacos at the Farmer's market. They were good too.

Janet, you would think it would be great to know a Genius. When I ask her a question, she helps kind of grudgingly. It's not all bad with DD24 though. We can still have some great times when we are together. It's just not very often since she's on the left coast now. Something about text, and occasional phone communication seems to make things harder. So, 27 is good huh?

And we have bought some wine from the Fetzer brothers. The young ones have a winery that only makes Pinot Noir called Masut. It's really good!

PS it was funny, and perhaps a God Wink, that the very day they were making the cake I found two brand new, huge, labels-still-on, heart-shaped cake pans at Savers as I was browsing around during a wee bit of down time. The plan originally was to make a rectangular cake in a regular pan, but these somehow seemed so much more fitting, don't you think? I realize how fortunate we are that she is still here at this age. (But don't mention it to her, she isn't happy hearing that number!)
Your posts were all so nice to read! So positive and happy :) and your pictures are beautiful! That cake is stunning!! I hope they were very proud of it! I had to go get a snack though! they made me hungry!! lol.... boys I think are always easier than girls, we never seemed to go through the same kind of drama with our son that we did with our daughters. One daughter we called our little drama queen right from the beginning, and it looks like her beautiful little daughter is turning out the same!! I must say I am so envious of you having your mom for so long! I only got to have mine for 36 years and even though she has been gone for 19 years now, I still miss her so badly!
congrats on such a long time cancerversary!! it gives hope to those of us at the low end!!

Uh. yum! those mussels look delicious! Just had some street tacos at the Farmer's market. They were good too.

Janet, you would think it would be great to know a Genius. When I ask her a question, she helps kind of grudgingly. It's not all bad with DD24 though. We can still have some great times when we are together. It's just not very often since she's on the left coast now. Something about text, and occasional phone communication seems to make things harder. So, 27 is good huh?

And we have bought some wine from the Fetzer brothers. The young ones have a winery that only makes Pinot Noir called Masut. It's really good!
Oh, I love pinot! we will make sure to try it! :) I had a couple of glasses of their gwertz tonight watching the lunar eclipse :) it was my desert tonight! lol!!

Your posts were all so nice to read! So positive and happy :) and your pictures are beautiful! That cake is stunning!! I hope they were very proud of it! I had to go get a snack though! they made me hungry!! lol.... boys I think are always easier than girls, we never seemed to go through the same kind of drama with our son that we did with our daughters. One daughter we called our little drama queen right from the beginning, and it looks like her beautiful little daughter is turning out the same!! I must say I am so envious of you having your mom for so long! I only got to have mine for 36 years and even though she has been gone for 19 years now, I still miss her so badly! congrats on such a long time cancerversary!! it gives hope to those of us at the low end!!
Thank you! It has felt like a good stretch this month. :goodvibes And remember, I am triple-negative, like you. :)

I know, I do feel fortunate to still have her when so many have lost their mothers. I lost my father pretty young so I'm glad to have had at least one parent still here, especially for my children.

Hello everyone, just wanted to give an update. My DBF & I just got back from vacation...we went to Gatlinburg, Richmond, and had a very brief stop in Washington DC on the way home. I had never been to Richmond before, we were there during a big bike race so everything was a bit nuts. We met his family down there and they do not have the same travel habits that we do! :scared:. We managed to have a great time regardless and saw a lot of the historical sites.

Gatlinburg was great, we stayed in a condo in town this time. Not having to find parking was a miracle! As usual everything was just so beautiful.

On the way home we stopped in DC and toured the National Mall & Tge Air and Space Museum. We were only there 4 hours since we had a long drive home. We even saw Marine One go by, that was pretty neat.

My dad goes back to work October 6 so he is excited about that. He is able to drive now so he's been taking the Mustang out for spins :teeth:. We are still taking care of the yard and such. He's doing very well in physical therapy and we are planning on throwing a party to thank all the family that helped us out when he was hurt. :goodvibes

In frustrating news, we just got word that DBF's aunt has uterine cancer. The plan so far is to remove the uterus and Fallopian tubes and do hormone therapy. They caught it extremely early, so that's good. They had to review the tests multiple times to confirm she had it. Either way, this just sucks. She never had kids but I'm not sure what helps bring that kind of cancer on. We've just all had enough of this!

Janet, my niece has something going on. Her esophagus is spasming and she hasn't been able to eat for a while. It's something she's had before. I asked her if they considered achalasia. Not very common, is it?

Elmo, it certainly sounds like your Mom passed on her travel gene. Glad you're continuing that.

Janet, my niece has something going on. Her esophagus is spasming and she hasn't been able to eat for a while. It's something she's had before. I asked her if they considered achalasia. Not very common, is it?

Elmo, it certainly sounds like your Mom passed on her travel gene. Glad you're continuing that.
No it is not, which makes a diagnosis very difficult! it took a long time for me to get one. the diffinitive tests are a barium swallow xray that shows a birds beak formation where the spasm is taking place, and a monometry, which is where they put a sensor on a wire down through your nasal passage, and have you swallow it... it goes down into your esophagus and then they have you swallow sips of something and it measures the contractions in your esophagus, if they are in rythm from top to bottom or all over the place or just not happening. One other test was where I layed down and they had me take sips of radioactive liquid, and they would see it going through, can't remember now if it was an xray machine or what? So there is testing that can be done. I had mine done (and the surgery) by a specialist out of UBC (university of British Columbia) teaching hospital. He had students come in to see the tests and results. I remember after my surgery, it was later in the evening and he came in to check on me. I woke up and there he was in a black tuxedo! He was on his way to the opera but wanted to see how I was doing. I fell in love with him! he was my hero in a black tuxedo!! Lol!! my first drink of ice cold apple juice that went down without any problems was the best thing I ever had!!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter