Dinner reservations...necessary or not?

spethstation

Earning My Ears
I have some questions about dining reservations. My BF and I want to experience some good dining in nice places while we're there. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the restaurants and feel that even if I looked at the menus I wouldn't really know which ones to pick until I was there. I have heard a lot about making reservations in advance...how far in advance would I have to make one? Would it be possible to just be able to walk into a place and be seated, or is this impossible at WDW? I guess what I'm asking is, how important is it to make reservations in advance, if at all? (We also don't have a dining plan.) Not only for dinner, but breakfast and lunch? Surely there are places with just counter-service, right?

I say from my experience it is very important to make Adr's. I would never go anywhere in Disney for Bk,Lu Or Din with out. But that is me.

At disney you really need to make ressies.You can make them 90 days before check in day.I strongly urge you to do so.Disney does not hold any tables for walk ups.The more popular places are booked months in advance.

...My BF and I want to experience some good dining in nice places while we're there. ... how important is it to make reservations in advance, ... (We also don't have a dining plan.) ...Surely there are places with just counter-service, right?
If you want to eat at the finer dining places when you want to eat you need to make your reservations (ADR) up to 90 days in advance. The closer you are into your arrival date the less likely you may get your time or into a table service (TS) restaurant at all. Sure you may be able to luck out and get a walk out but Disney highly recommend ADRs since TS restaurants book up solid. Disney has promoted their dining plans heavy after starting their cruise lines and transferred this to the parks. There was a time when you could walk up or make a reservation on the same day you care to dine. Guest visited these restaurants before dining plans even existed and you can still go to any food service outlet in the park without it. There are also counter service locations throughout the parks and resorts. Also in the parks you can find snack stands too.

Bottom line..you need ADRs if dining at a table service restaurant is important. Also you can use this and other sites to find menus, prices and guest reviews of their dining experience with photos. You can also use the various forums to ask for responses from your concerns.

Yes, you will probably need meal reservations. You will probably have better luck as a walk-up for lunch than for dinner, and late lunch/early dinner are probably the best for a chance at a seating.
Don't count on any openings for Le Cellier or CRT. We lucked into a Le Cellier seating on Sunday the 25th, but my DH laid on the sob story about our crappy meal the night before at Les Chefs and how that ruined my birthday. Still, we came back at 8:50 and didn't get a table until 9:05. The following places had availability at Epcot that night: San Angel, Biergarten, Tokyo Dining (they have good sushi and sashimi, if you like either), Marrakesh and Les Chefs.

If you don't get any TS reservations, you won't starve. There are plenty of CS places at all of the parks.

I highly recommend getting ADR's we ran into that a couple years ago we couldn't eat at times or places we wanted form that point on I always make ADR's

I think I'll be making some phone calls pretty soon...thanks for all your help! Anyone have good restaurant recommendations? I've been reading reviews and I think I've found a few I want to check out.:thumbsup2

That's what you need to do, plus check out the menus on www.allearsnet.com.

You will get many opinions on the same restaurant, for every one that someone LOVES, another person will hate it.

ie: My DH loves Spoodles for breakfast, but others don't care for it.

I think if you have no reservations in place in the theme parks, you will end up at counter service restaurants, or having to travel to resorts for a meal.

This is just me but no way would I go to WDW and not have dinner ressies!

I have some questions about dining reservations. My BF and I want to experience some good dining in nice places while we're there. Unfortunately I don't know a lot about the restaurants and feel that even if I looked at the menus I wouldn't really know which ones to pick until I was there. I have heard a lot about making reservations in advance...how far in advance would I have to make one? Would it be possible to just be able to walk into a place and be seated, or is this impossible at WDW? I guess what I'm asking is, how important is it to make reservations in advance, if at all? (We also don't have a dining plan.) Not only for dinner, but breakfast and lunch? Surely there are places with just counter-service, right?

I would say absolutely make reservations!

I agree that it is best to make ADRs when you can.

We Love Chef's de France at Epcot.

You definetly need to make ADR's for any Table Service restaurant that you want to eat at. They can be made 90 days in advance. As you are looking at restaurants, don't forget the hotel restaurants near the park you will be in on that day. The Monorail restaurants are near the MK and the restaurants at the Boardwalk, Swan & Dolphin and the Yc/BC are near either Epcot or DHS.
CS is available in all theme parks, so you won't starve. But you will not have a peaceful sit down dinner without ADR's most of the year.
Have a Good Trip

Oh, make reservations! I hated to see people turned away when my DH and I went last time! So many places told people no when they wanted to just eat, we felt so bad!!

Some of our favorites:

Magic Kingdom - Crystal Palace (really fun Character Dinner - with Pooh and friends!!)

Downtown Disney - Raglan Road (Irish food, Irish dancing, Irish music... Irish drinks... ;))

If you go to Animal Kingdom, go to Animal Kingdom Lodge - a quick bus ride, but eat at BOMA!! It's the most delicious buffet in Disney, all African foods - it's not to be missed!! :thumbsup2

Look over the menus and recommendations again and call for reservations. I had only reserved 3 character breakfasts in Nov for our trip next week. I called on Monday and got every lunch and dinner reservation day/time I wanted within 15 min of my desired time at most. I was shocked, however we are going when it is low attendance. I hear it picks up a little the week or two after our trip next week.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts