dinner attire?

aamob

Mouseketeer
We are new to cruising and leaving soon on a 4 night cruise. It says we will have 3 casual and 1 formal dinner nights. Can men really not wear shorts and a nice polo and women have to have dresses or pants? I had planned on capri pants some.

Definitely for men no shorts in the dining room. Boys could get away with it with a nice polo. A women could dress up capris with a nice top or blouse and heels and get away with it. Think dressy casual or "elegant casual" for evenings. Kids have more leeway than adults in the dining room.

Thanks, I will break the news to my husband. He doesn't wear pants even when it is 30 degrees here!

Although I never wear shorts in the dinning room for dinner, I have seen it on many occasions, mostly on younger couples or families. I will say that on every occasion, it was neat and clean. It was obvious that they had taken thought in how they were dressed. No T-shirts, no flip flops.

You can wear nice dress/golf shorts for dinner during casual nights, not during formal nights. No holes in the clothes or anything like that but shorts are fine. I usually take 2 pairs of cargo shorts, 2 pair of plaid/golf shorts and wear them all week except on formal nights. I also bring along 2 Khaki pants and wear them on casual nights too. I always wear a collared polo shirt at ever dinner no matter if I am wearing shorts or pants.

You would be surprised what people get away with. They didn't really enforce the rules on board the Allure. However, stick to resort casual at a minimum if you want to fit in with the masses. I had my husband wear khakis with a nice shirt.

I wore tailored capris, a nice blouse or top and nice sandals to the main dining room on casual nights with no problem. I also wore casual sun dresses with sandals. My husband wore khakis and a polo shirt every night except for formal night. We were on the Liberty.

We are new to cruising and leaving soon on a 4 night cruise. It says we will have 3 casual and 1 formal dinner nights. Can men really not wear shorts and a nice polo and women have to have dresses or pants? I had planned on capri pants some.

no shorts for dinner, period on anyone in the Man Dining room. while you MIGHT not be denied entry for non formal nights you will definitely be denied it on Formal.

for non formal nights capris are fine on the ladies. a sundress of skirt is better for formal night

As someone else said, you'd be surprised what people get away with. People do wear jeans and shorts in the dining room, including formal nights, although they are in a minority. Kids (especially young kids) definitely wear shorts more often. Most everyone makes an effort to ensure the shorts/jeans are a nicer quality and can look dressed up with a polo. I've been on 9 cruises with Royal - There have been people at my table almost every cruise that wore jeans almost every night. One guy wore jeans and a tuxedo tshirt on formal night. Haha!

DH doesn't take a suit usually anymore. For 7-day cruises he'll bring one or two pairs of khakis, a pair of nice pants, a couple button up shirts, polo shirts, and a tie. A suit takes up too much space in the suitcase. I bring one pair of khakis, a black skirt, and tops for dinner. We also change back into our shorts and tshirts right after dinner, that way we can wear our dinner clothes multiple times.

The other option is if your husband does not want to bring anything formal to just skip formal night. There are other dinner options. We don't always do formal night it just depends on what we feel like bringing for that particular cruise.

no shorts for dinner, period on anyone in the Man Dining room. while you MIGHT not be denied entry for non formal nights you will definitely be denied it on Formal.

for non formal nights capris are fine on the ladies. a sundress of skirt is better for formal night
From what I've read on CC, the bolded isn't always true. However, you won't know how strict they'll be on any given night until you get to the doors. I would suggest wearing slacks (khaki's, what have you) every night. You'll probably see folks in shorts and jeans, but why take the chance they'll deny you entry?

On our last cruise, we were in a suite. We got a free cruise, and it was just a little more to upgrade so we thought why not? We didn't pack any clothes for formal night, because we planned on ordering room service and eating on our balcony. (In a suite you can order from the main dining room menu). Well, the weather was chillier than expected and we didn't want to eat on our balcony when it was chilly. We ended up going to the dining room in our khakis and polos. Another person at our table was dressed similarly, although everyone else at our table was in a suit. The crew never said a thing to us, and it was still a lovely dinner. :)

the dress code wasn't enforced on the Enchantment of the Seas at all for the non-formal nights. I saw people wearing bathing suits with a simple cover-up over them, shorts were a common sight (even I wore shorts), t-shirts and hats as well. for formal night I can't say because me and my wife didn't do that, we went to the on-board steakhouse instead.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

Latest posts

facebook twitter