DINKS--some more

Loving it! And I agree - the DL version of ToT isn't as great. It's like, you get on the elevator, get to the top, the doors open and you're dropped. Very little anticipation. But I guess that's because they had a limited amount of space to work with. I have to admit, though, that I hate ToT! I just hate that drop and the feeling you get. :scared1: That's probably why I liked the DL one less - they didn't give me a chance to 'prepare'! LOL LOL LOL

I think I love the WDW ToT more because of the suspense...when's it coming?!?!?!?!? Love it.

Japan!

DSCN0784.jpg

DSCN0785.jpg

Alas, the fact that Canada's booze cart opened late, meant that our entertainment schedule would be off for the day...so Matzuriza will wait for another day.

So, instead...shopping! love the shopping there, though we're waiting to buy until the last day.

DH was hungry and starting to get a bit woozy, so we stopped at Yakatori House. He got teriyaki, I got plum wine...which I've always wanted, but for some reason just never had. I like it outdoors in the heat...I approve.

I also wished that I could get a pic of these in the evening...

DSCN0788.jpg

George!

DSCN0791.jpg

DH's favorite

DSCN0796.jpg

...onto the USA Pavillion...

George!

DSCN0815.jpg

Finally! thank god for Disney switching their frying oil, I can finally have a funnel cake...with a seasonal beer by budweiser...which I liked, I'm so surprised. We ate while watching these guys...

DSCN0803.jpg

...and into The American Experience. We got to listened to the Voices of Liberty, who my dad just LOVES. I would love them more if they didn't break into Disney songs and stuck to the music that their costumes invoke. Just me.

*Notes about the next things coming. I am one of those who fit into the 'dissent is the highest form of patriotisim' camp. I love my country, I am a patriot...but I do not like what has become of it the last several years. This pavillion moves me in such a powerful way. It hits me in the gut and reminds me why my nation is a great nation, despite all the crap, it's a great nation built by great people...and it will be great again, even if I don't feel that it is right now--not just because of politics, but that and so much more. I love my country.*

I love looking around that pavillion, the quotes are all so moving (I must say, I shed tears at them). They capture the spirit of this land and the people that saw the possabilities.

"What after all has maintained the human race on this old globe despite all the calamities of nature and all the tragic failings of mankind, if not faith in new possabilities and courage to advocate them." Jane Adams

"Our way of living together in America is a strong but delicate fabric. It is made up of many threads. It has been woven over many centuries by the patience and sacrifice of countless liberty-loving men and women." Wendall Lewis Willkie

"What kind of man would live where there is no daring? I don't believe in taking foolish chances, but nothing can be accomplished without taking any chance at all." (I can't remember who's quote this is)

"No matter what accomplishments you make, somebody helps you."
Aletha Gibson

"Throughout the centuries there were men who took first steps down the roads armed with nothing but their own vision." Ayn Rand

"Bring me men to match my mountains, bring me men to match my plains, with empires in their purpose, and new eras in the brains." Sam Walter Foss

The exhibit on the end of the first floor is so inspriring. Seeing all these inventions by americans that have changed the course of history, they just hit your soul and make you sit up and notice. That exhibit inspires me to go on and do great things. It might not be in me to invent a way to free us from the need of any oil at all, but I can do my best and I can inspire others to achieve their wildest dreams...and I will.

Coming up the stairs and looking back, this site is so stirring, and it makes me v. v. proud.

DSCN0812.jpg

I know that the show itself doesn't show everything in American history, I know that it washes over the truly horrible things that this country has done...yes, I know. What gets me about this program is the last montage that shows this vast cross section of amazing people...and just knowing how humble a background so many of these people came from, and how hard work and perseverence...and just sheer luck, have launched them into history...it's amazing I get out of that place without being a weeping puddle on the floor.

My only complaint, that song that I used to love "america spread your golden wings" now just reminds me of that horrible John Ashcroft song about the eagle.

anyhoo

when we return to Italy, I promise a much lighter post!

Day four...part three

Italy....

DSCN0817.jpg

AND LEMONCIELLO!!!!!! hehe, let's just say that I got the nod and 'it will be a good day' from the cast members at the wine bar.

In Italy, DH started wondering if the really ambitious countries put in rides and movies, and the others just phoned it in. It is a good observation, I don't necessarily want more rides from, say, Italy and Germany, but I would like more to do there ...especially Italy. It's just such a lovely little pavillion, I want to spend more time there. Even if it is to just have more lemonciello.

I do remember hearing at some point that there was supposed to be a gondella ride at first, but don't know what happened to it.

DSCN0825.jpg

Germany

I have never seen the trains going, are they ever?

DSCN0831.jpg

Next time we go to WDW, I want to eat at Biergartten, maybe I'll be feeling the German pavillion more then.

DSCN0829.jpg

DSCN0836.jpg

Oh yes, and I had a sweet wine...which I got in Sommerset, as I didn't see the actually wine bar until too late. *sigh* so I have no idea what wine it was... other than 'sweet'.

Day four...part five

China

DSCN0838.jpg

Now, to me, China was ambitious. So much going on there. In additional to the beautiful architecture, there's movies, a museum, gardens, extensive shopping, and multiple places to eat. See that Italy?!?! that's what I need from you!

We stopped for a snack at the Lotus Blossom Cafe. I had the eggrolls (huge! and tasty) DH had the Mongolian BBQ sandwich, which he said was uber tasty.

This was also about the time the DH started getting way annoyed with me for taking pictures of light fixtures and ceilings.

chinalights.jpg

Again, we found a lot of things while shopping, but will wait until Friday to buy. Here that $5000 Jade boat? I'm coming for you!

DSCN0852-1.jpg

DSCN0853.jpg

DSCN0858.jpg

DSCN0859.jpg

George and I got a greentea/plum wine slushie at Joy of Tea. A bit too sweet for me, but I think alot of people will like it.

DSCN0844.jpg

Day Four...part six

DSCN0863.jpg

On to Norway!
...now there's an ambitious country, lol.

Really, a 40 minute wait for Maelstrom? wt... I suppose it is President's Week after all, first hint of the crazy imo

First off, Viking Coffee...nummy.

DSCN0864.jpg

I always love the Stave Church, one of the truly peaceful places in Epcot, and I'm glad that they change the exhibits, although I would have loved to see the exhibit about the Stave churches again, really fascinating...but Vikings are fun too...although, huh? playing music from Lord of the Rings?

We rode the Maelstrom *aieeeeeee trolls!!!!!!*
I learned that Helly Hanson is a really, really old company.
DH couldn't find the Viking book that in the day in the life of a viking, shows a great cartoon reinactment of the pillaging of a village.
...and George made a friend.

DSCN0867.jpg

Oh....Mexico, sounds so sweet with the sun setting low...

DSCN0870.jpg

...and was there actually any booze at all in the margarita? me thinks not, because I'm actually still just buzzed at this point.

Not alot of good pics to be had, unfortunatly, but we did ride the boat ride. I was surprised that it's actually better now. The freakin cartoon overlay makes it better. whatya know.

We wandered around, George was drunker than I was. He was showing all the signs, namely being willing to put on a sombraro.

DSCN0880.jpg

Finally, we wandered back around to the UK (skipped Canada, running late love) for our 8:00 at Rose and Crown. This place has turned out to be the one that we always go back to, sometimes multiple times. It always just feels like home, even though we're from Seattle. Of course the UK and the pacific northwest do have a similar weather pattern...

DH had the soup and pork loin ( I think he said it was good) along with a black and tan. I had the salad and fish and chips...love their fish and chips. I also had a strongbow as well as the scotch sampler (see, I made up for skipping Canada).

Things then started to get a bit fuzzy

DSCN0886.jpg

Our waitress was just fabulous, as the night was winding down, so was the crowd inside and we got to talk to her alot...seems that she's a practical joker and her family didn't believe that she was going to work at WDW until the day she left. With our encouragment, of course, we got some good jokes out of her and the rest of the wait staff.

Oh! reminds me...from Disney Studios streetmosphere people
99 casserole dishes walk into a bar and order a drink
Bartender says 'I can't serve you'
the 99 casserole dishes say 'why not?'
Bartender says 'cause you alreadly look baked'

Oh, Disney humor at it's finest. Love it.

anyhoo...we were eating inside, but so many people left to go watch Illuminations, that our waitress asked if we wanted to go watch Illuminations from a table outside. Why yes, thank you we will, didn't even get any debri in our food and drinks.

So we staggered back to the bus, and back to the hotel...I'm assuming I made it that far.

Next up, Day five with Epcot and the Coral Reef, and Animal Kingdom and Yak and Yeti!

Day Five...part one

We slept in, made oatmeal and ate the fruit in the room...no way we're going back to Roaring Forks for breakfast. Eww.

I took some daytime views from our room.

DSCN0887.jpg

That space between the Contemporary and the tree...and well, all the sky above, was where you could see the fireworks, quite a good view in fact.

DSCN0888.jpg

If you look closely, you can see the castle. At night it was clear as day with all the lights.

DSCN0889.jpg

So, off to Epcot!

...and YAY! Mission: Space. Best ride EVER. DH refuses, can't blame him. I love it though, it makes me cry tears of joy when I'm on it. It makes me want to experience space travel and hopeful that someday it will happen...it's a ride that makes me hopeful for the future of mankind. DH met me in the training lab afterward.

Onto The Seas.

Nemo and Friends is new for us. We loved The Seas before, we didn't need a change...and honestly, I miss alot of the sea:lab things. I can see why people would like the change, but I liked it better before.

The Nemo ride is cute, we'll go on it once a trip, but not if it's a hella long line.

Turtle Talk with Crush is always fun, exactly the same as in DL, although it makes more sense in the WDW envirotnment...and it gave me an opportunity to take pics of lights!

jellyfishlights.jpg

DSCN0890-1.jpg

DSCN0892.jpg

I found the shark facts fascinating, even if George got eaten...

DSCN0897.jpg

I loved this exhibit...

DSCN0901.jpg

DSCN0902.jpg

Dh's favorite are the manatees...and who can blame him? love them.

Actually, the further away from the Nemoness the exhibits are, the more I love them. Crush is fun, but he can't compete with a real sea turtle, imo.

Onto the Coral Reef!

DSCN0916-1.jpg

...and what a table. I'm am amazed time and time again on this trip, just what sorts of great tables we get...without asking for them. We had a U-shaped booth facing the tanks...it was hard to eat, kept getting distracted by the fishies.

DH had the lobster soup (yummy yummy) and the Salmon sandwich (more yummyness)

I had the Cod Cake for an appetizer and the Sea and Land for the main course. The cod cake was good, but it took me a bit to warm up to it. It looks like a crab cake, so your eyes are expecting sweet, even though you know it's cod. Once my brain was on the right wavelength, I liked it. The Sea and Land was fantastic, big enough for me for a main course after the appetizer, but not for most, I would think.

Dessert was the chocolate wave...and yes yes yes yes yes.

Afterwards we rode Spaceship Earth, I like the changes, though this go round our video screen didn't work.

DSCN0921.jpg

...next up, on to Animal Kingdom!

Great report and nice pics of World Showcase. We did the WS tour a few years back and it's amazing the amount of detail put into each pavillion. The tiles in Morocco were all laid by hand. Also, you asked about the train in Germany and whether it actually works. I've seen it running before. Pretty neat.

...i'm so tired of sitting, stupid ankle...

Day five...part two.

Onto Animal Kingdom!

We started by wandering the wonderful Oasis, I always want to spend more time there, it's such a special place, truly.

DH was feeling a bit shaky, so we headed to Pizzafari for a snack, can't remember what was gotten, but he said 'you know, I can do without ever going back there again.' At least the murals are lovely.

DSCN0928.jpg

DSCN0929.jpg

We wanted to go to Planet Watch, but...one of my few planning blunders of the trip... we arrived just before the parade started. I tend to get defensive and upset when I am not prepared for things that are roadblocks. I try to be level headed and calm, but in a crowded parade area when people are yelling at you to go this way or that and not letting you ask questions and just shepparding you along...well, I get frustrated. I didn't lash out at anyone, but I did have to count to ten a few times as we eventually power walked our way around to Africa.

anyway

Love Planet Watch.

I think the people who don't enjoy this haven't ever taken the time to talk to the CMs there, to ask questions, to learn. Just my own judgemental opinion.

I mean, hello! Animal Cams! elephant poo! people making food! I know, sounds geeky, but it's so fascinating if you just take the time.
THe rainforest sound booths were one of the most relaxing experiences that I've ever had in ANY Disney park. And, someday, I'd like to catch an early morning procedure there.

hey...they even have character greetings there. Poor Jimmiy Cricket, no one was saying hi to him, so we struck a pose.

DSCN0933.jpg

btw, my friend says that that costume is one of the worst to wear.

On to It's Tough to be a bug! I take so much time looking at the tree, I lost count of how many people walked past us.

DSCN0944.jpg

DSCN0952.jpg

DSCN0955.jpg

I love this attraction, it's just fabulous. I also love the droves of screaming children whose parents don't believe just how terrifying it is...despite repeated warnings.

After that it was time to make our way to Yak and Yeti.

DSCN0962.jpg

DSCN0963.jpg

next up, yak and yeti, extended hours, and rear ends at the adventures club...

Great report and nice pics of World Showcase. We did the WS tour a few years back and it's amazing the amount of detail put into each pavillion. The tiles in Morocco were all laid by hand. Also, you asked about the train in Germany and whether it actually works. I've seen it running before. Pretty neat.

I really wanted to take that tour, but it's not offered anymore. GRRRRR.

Day Five... part three

Yak and Yeti!

Once again, people complaining about not being able to get a table. The one I didn't understand was the single woman who could have sat immedietly at the bar area...in what looked to be uber comfortable stools...but she just wasn't 'comfortable sitting in a bar.' Which I find sad, a full grown middle aged solo woman not comfortable sitting at a bar in Disney. I wanted to take her by the hand, reasure her that she didn't have to drink, and that the only people who would think less of her would be my parents.

Once again, a premo table for two without asking for it. In a corner, with a window. The chef was great to talk to. THere wasn't alot on the menu that I could have, but he was still great and sent extra dipping sauces that didn't have soy in them. Honestly, I can't remember what all we ate, other than the tasty egg rolls and wonton soup and somesort of tea that I'd never had before...whatever we had was good, I just don't remember.

I also got chandelier obsessed again...

DSCN0970.jpg

DSCN0971.jpg

DSCN0973.jpg

DSCN0977.jpg

anyone want to guess where this one was?

DSCN0978.jpg

also in Yak and Yeti

DSCN0979.jpg

Then we walked around awhile to settle our stomachs...

DSCN0984.jpg

DSCN1003.jpg

monkey.jpg

DSCN1008.jpg

...before riding Dinosaur! (it's scary every time, without a doubt, love it), and Everest. I wanted to take more time in the line and let people go by, but DH was getting impatient with my lingering.

DSCN1017.jpg

....hmmm, I'll make the adventure's club adventure another post

The one I didn't understand was the single woman who could have sat immedietly at the bar area...in what looked to be uber comfortable stools...but she just wasn't 'comfortable sitting in a bar.'

Hi! I'm loving your trip report. I just wanted to say that I am one of those single women who don't link sitting at the bar. For me, I perfer a table so that I can spread out and relax. I find that when I sit at a bar/counter I normally don't get as much space as if I was at a table. Since I like to read while I am eating, I normally feel very cramped at a bar or counter.

Hi! I'm loving your trip report. I just wanted to say that I am one of those single women who don't link sitting at the bar. For me, I perfer a table so that I can spread out and relax. I find that when I sit at a bar/counter I normally don't get as much space as if I was at a table. Since I like to read while I am eating, I normally feel very cramped at a bar or counter.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

I understand what you're saying, I go to pubs in the middle of the day by myself to get work done...I ask for a booth and I think they think I'm nuts...until they see all my spread.

No, if you had seen the look of disgust and worry on this partiular woman's face, then you'd understand that she was coming from a completly different place than just wanting to spread out. Honestly, her reaction made me revert back a bit to when I was afraid to have a drink in front of my parents for fear of their rebuke (back story, my parents refused to go to a sisters house for dinner for several years because they served wine with dinner).

Day Five...part four

Ok, promise, last installment of day five!

So, we decided to head toward Adventure's Club. A bit of a problem, though, as we couldn't figure out how to get there...and the CMs at the buses at Animal Kingdom were unsure as well. So, we took a bus to the Trasnportation Center...wrong move. Then we walked to the Polynesian

ooo, light

DSCN1021.jpg

then we finally got the bus to Pleasure Island...and two hours after we left the gates of Animal Kingdom, we were walking into Adventures Club. At least I got to watch the entire Lunar Eclipse! *sigh*

This is definetly one place I want to go back to many, many times. I love dirty humor, I do, and the worse the pun, the more I laugh. It was great fun, we even got interviewed by the gal who's an explorer! I can't quite remember how much we embaressed ourselves, I had several of those house drinks...not the Kungaloosh, but the other one.

I must say though, I will have an eternal crush on that male explorer, dashing aviator character...enough to make me want to go back as a solo! Watch out hubbie, I'm going after em! lol

Oh yeah, my obsession with shooting from below led to this...

DSCN1025.jpg

...which led to this...

DSCN1023.jpg

...which led to something that might just be to racy for the disboards...

http://i79.photobucket.com/albums/j152/bunlessinseattle/DSCN1024.jpg

We got home sometime that night, not sure when...or how...but we did!

Tomorrow, Magic Kingdom and Cinderella's Royal Table!!!

I just caught up with your report. I LOVE!!! it. :cloud9: Seriously... great details, love the pictures!!!

How is the post surgery healing going? As bad as it might be for you, I love how you are spending your down time! Keep it coming! popcorn::

Liisa

Thank you, and I'm doing pretty good, it's just annoying having to sit for so long. I'm an activer person, and not being in constant motion is difficult for me. Next week I get the stitches out, and while I won't be able to walk yet, I'll be able to move more and start physical therapy.

btw, love the dog. In high school one of my best friends had two of those. Going to their house was always an adventure!

Day Six...part one

Well, originally we were going to get to the magic kingdom for EMH, but come on...after an evening at the Adventure's Club? who were we kidding? After our in room breakfast (oatmeal from home, fruit from the gift basket...and coffee from home), we took my favorite WDW (the WL boats) to the MK.

This was also the first day that my ankle truly, truly hurt to the point that I needed the cane. It actually helped quite a bit, just taking that little bit of weight off of it, though I know I got a few odd looks...because I heard at least one remark that I was holding my cane backward. Sorry folks, holding it the correct way didn't work for me, holding it backward was better....sorry for being an individual.

Let's avoid the crowds and take the train to Frontierland, shall we?

DSCN1026.jpg

I think this is how it played out...
got a Fastpass for SplashMountain
get DH a chicken wrap at Pecos Bill as his blood sugar was crashing quick
do the Country Bears (omg, lmao...and whats up with the sound in there? Blood on the Saddle, baby, Blood on the Saddle)
get a Fastpass for Big Thunder
go on SplashMountain (I say there's more drops and it's longer than DL...therefore better, DH disagrees and thinks their the say)
go to Tom Sawyer's Island (so much better than DL...George agrees, this was the only location that I didn't get to explore as much as I'd like because of pain)

DSCN1029.jpg

go on BTMRR (not sure which I like better, wdw or dl version, both have their strong points)

Off to Columbia Harbor House for the omg so good you could die, hummas sandwich. For all you meat eaters out there (I'm one too) don't be scared away by the fact it's veggie, that sandwich is one of the best food offerings in the parks...period. The fact that it was lost in AK when Tusker House switched to buffet is a great tragedy, imo.
DH was the hero for standing in that long line while I sat down to rest and put my foot up.

Afterwards we went to the Hall of Presidents...because, why not? Watching it you can't help but wonder what it will look like in two years...who will be up there? Will a skirt be added? a little color? or will it be one more person who looks like everyone else up there? I also thought that President Bush did an excellent job keeping to his script for his speech, lol, though dissapointing. So, how long does it take for the new president to appear on the stage? When do they record their speech? Is it sort of like winning the superbowl? You've just won the presidency, what will you do next? I'm going to record a speech for the hall of presidents! I truly wonder, it would make a fascinating article.

We skipped the Riverboat (I was unhappy about that) and went to the Haunted Mansion. I love the updates, and for the most part I prefer it to the one at DL. The one exception being the streaching room, it truly has a different feeling when it's actually taking you down in the elevator.

Big dissapointment, though...whatever happend to the cancan girls show? I loved that as a kid...*sigh*

We walked to Tomorrowland (I was gritting my teeth in pain by then, but I was determined!) and rode one of my all time faves...the peoplemover...or whatever they call it now. Why doesn't DL have this? why why why? grrr

We also did Buzz (lame compared to DL...of course I might be bitter because I barely scored 1000) and Stitch (what was that? ow, my shoulders). The lady next to me was funny about it, she kept talking to me and commenting the entire time...and I agreed with every single thing she said...most of which can't be printed here.

I finally said enough was enough and we headed back to the hotel where I did much ice therapy before and after our nap.

...oh, and someone spread the magic to us! When DH went to get ice, someone had left a 1/3 full flat of water bottles with some fruit and juice with a 'free' sign on it...yes, thank you very much. Whoever you are out there, it was enjoyed and we passed on what we didn't use the same way you passed it to us. Thank you!

next up....MK at night and fireworks at the castle, for all of you nonbelievers!

Day six...part deux

DSCN1032.jpg

Nap, shower, coffee....and off to the boat for MK!

DSCN1036-1.jpg

We decided to take our time wandering up the right side of Main Street. I'd heard about the camera museum and was very glad they we decided to explore it. It's truly one of those secret gems of WDW. The theater back there was so quiet that we could have made out in the seats! but don't worry, instead we just took some pics...

DSCN1038.jpg

DSCN1041.jpg

DSCN1042.jpg

DSCN1043.jpg

We also really enjoyed the new Disney Art gallery area and talking to the staff there re. a couple of the artists...however, we also really missed the nickelodeon cartoons.

next, dinner at the castle!

We decided to take our time wandering up the right side of Main Street. I'd heard about the camera museum and was very glad they we decided to explore it. It's truly one of those secret gems of WDW.

Camera museum????? I can't believe that I have missed it. Where is it?

Yup, I can't remember what it's called on the map, but the first building on the right that also houses Tony's Town Square. Just go straight back and you'll see the cases.

Just read through your trippie (great relaxation on a Sunday am)
DH and I are going sans DS and I've picked up some great ideas from you.
Thanks for sharing and looking forward to more:cool1:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter