Dining with "tweens"

Discussion in 'Welcome to the DIS' started by andymattmom, Mar 22, 2008.

1. andymattmom

andymattmom DIS Veteran

We are going in September and are debating the value of the DDP. We got 40% off our room with a PIN. We know we can't combine that if the free dining comes out...they are about the same discount.

My kids are 11 and 13. The "kids" menus for most places is 9 and under. If you go to Bomas do they charge them the adult price if you are not on the dining plan? I know other non-buffet places it is the meal price which is fine. I was wondering about Bomas since I know they won't eat that much to justify the adult price. Is there a place to call if nobody is sure.

Also, MNSSHP...how do you buy tickets?
    Thanks

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc <font color=royalblue>We had a wonderful time, but

4. andymattmom

andymattmom DIS Veteran

Thanks for the link...interesting!

5. Camster0307

Camster0307 DIS Veteran

Any buffet you go to will charge you the adult price if you're over 9. You are right about TS though - can order off the children's menu. This is why I won't do the DDP - my 11yr.old will definitely not eat enought to equal being charged as an adult on the dining plan.

6. jadedbeauty14304

jadedbeauty14304 DIS Veteran

Hiya and welcome!!! :hippie:

One thing to remember is that the kid's meals are extremely small. My Dd celebrated turning 10 so she could eat off the adult menu. I was constantly paying OOP for more food for her when she was 9, because the kids meals just were not enough.

Either way you go, I hope you have a great trip!

7. colonialtinker

colonialtinker You may not see much in a small town, but what you

:wave2: Hi and :welcome: .
    My DD 8 always has me eat her kids meal and she gets my adult meals or shares with me. She eats more then I do so I don't mind switching.

8. andymattmom

andymattmom DIS Veteran

Thanks everyone for the great help! We are excited about our trip

9. LoriMomx5

LoriMomx5 Grumpy's Girl

We have 5 children but only 3 are Tweens- twins sons 11 and son 10. It would not be cost effective for us to do the DDP again this year. Even if they did not like the children's menu they don't eat adult portions. They would share an adult meal however especially counter service.

10. lovetoscrap

lovetoscrap Sees tag fairy posts that aren't there. Moderator

You got good advice on the Dining Plan. To buy MNSSHP tickets you can either buy them online at the Disney site, or call them directly and order. If you booked with a TA then your TA should be able to take care of it for you.

11. andymattmom

andymattmom DIS Veteran

We decided NOT to do dining since we got the 40%. Our boys wouldn't eat the amount of food to justify paying the adult dining plan price...also I know they children's meals wouldn't fill them up. They need an in-between but it is Disney!

I did PS reservations today we are doing SciFi Cafe, Trails End, Whispering Canyon and Liberty Tree Tavern. We are doing late lunches at all and dinner at Trails End (early). The rest will be counter things...read about the good ones to try in the books. We will do a grocery stop or grocery delivery. From our figuring we will come out ahead by the time the tips, etc. We wouldn't eat that much food anyway on the dining plan. IF the boys were younger it would be great...

Thanks again for the help...I am keeping my "ears" open for MNSSHP to get tickets. Looks like fun...180 days and counting!:cool1: :cheer2: