Dining Reviews

bellarella

DIS Veteran
Just got back and thought I'd add my $.02 on dining reviews, since I was always looking for them when I planned.

Day One:
Kona Cafe for late lunch. Walked up with no PS, were seated within 5 minutes. Good chicken sandwich, not a great mahi mahi sandwich. We didn't order that well because the other food looked fabulous.

Chef Mickey's for dinner. Had 8:30 PS, showed up at 6:30 and were seated within 15 mins. By far the worst meal we had. Even for buffet food this was bad. Peel and eat shrimp were floppy, prime rib was flavorless and tough (though DH said his was good, he got a very rare piece), kids hot dogs looked really scary, petite fours were flavorless. I am glad we got this meal "over with" early because it was soon forgotten. The character interaction was good and it did serve its purpose calm down the kids about seeing characters. For food though, I would not return.

Day Two:
Poly Room Service for Breakfast: Food was very good. Mickey waffles were fresh and crisp, good OJ (not from concentrate), Tonga Toast didn't float our boat, but we aren't huge banana fans.

Counter Service at MGM for lunch. I can't remember the name of the place, it was right around the corner from Brown Derby. We were too early for sandwiches (started at 11:30 and we were there at 11:15). Just grabbed yogurt and bagel and muffin.

Afternoon Tea at GF Garden Room. Very beautiful. DH ordered the Edwardian Tea and found it to be quite filling, with a nice glass of port. I wasn't totally impressed with the regular tea selection, though I must admit I'm not a huge fan of tea sandwiches to begin with. I love the atmosphere of high tea, though. Mrs. Potts Tea was very nice for the girls. Warning, they do have them drink from real china and the pot of chocolate milk, really is a pot of chocolate milk. The only downside here was that we did not a have a good waitress. She was not tuned into children at all. Most waitresses know to keep the clip going pretty well when you see two small children at a table. We were ignored without food or beverage, or even our order taken for quite some time and there were no crayons for the girls to keep them occupied. This, however, was a flaw of our waitress in particular, as we saw the others were much more attentive.

Dinner Captain Cooks. Standard food court hamburger. Nothing to write home about. Depressing atmosphere. Hopefully it will get updated soon.

Day Three
Breakfast in room with cereal brought from home.

Crystal Palace for Lunch. Definately make PS here if you want to eat. They were turning away walk ins right and left. This was a fabulous meal, especially considering it was buffet. The choices were fresh and flavorful. They had a nice carving station of steak and pork and some nice skillet pasta items. The salad bar had good choices and the desserts were very good. Pooh, Piglet, Tigger and Eyeore were all making the rounds and led one parade while we were there. The atmosphere, despite being loud, was very cool and refreshing, espeically if you get seated by a window.

Tomorrowland Noodle Station for dinner. Unfortunately we ordered poorly here too. The Chicken Noodle bowl was fine, but not great and more broothy than we had wanted. It looked like the stir fry bowl would have been a better bet.

Kona Cafe take out for late snack. Due to the disappointment at the Noodle Station, we were hungry an hour later (we had originally just split a bowl because we were still full from CP for lunch). We got the crab cakes and spicy wings at Kona and took them back to our room (the kids got a hot dog from Captain Cooks). Both appetizers were very good and made me wish again that we had time for a full meal there.

Day Four
Poly Room Service. Again very good, though I was bummed that the danish for the Continental breakfast was cheese (bleh -- but I don't like any cheese danishes).

Rainforest Cafe for lunch at the AK. Typical Rainforest Cafe food. Overpriced, but it was the one restaurant my DD was specifically asking for and it fit into our itenarary well. We had PS but they were basically worthless. We still waited about 15-20 mins for a table, even though half the restaurant was empty. The portions were huge and good, but not worth the money, IMHO (I much prefer Cheesecake Factory for this sort of meal).

1900 Park Faire for Dinner. PS on this Cinderella dinner were all booked up when we tried making them in advance. When we were at GF for our tea, I noticed that the restaurant was quite empty at about 4:30 and asked if that was typical. They said they couldn't guarantee anything, but that would be a good time to check. DH was great and went over with DD4. I expected just the two of them would eat since DD2 was napping. He managed to sweet talk a 5:30 seating for all four of us despite not having PS. Once again this place had great food for a buffet. Some of it was similar fare as Chef Mickeys, but actually fresh and cooked properly. Plus they had more interesting and better executed entree offerings. The pork with cherry and apple chutney was very good and the prime rib looked good here. Definately save room for dessert here. There selection wasn't as large as some of the other buffets, but each choice was superb. Their bread pudding was excellent and the key lime tart was also very good. The apple cobbler was hot and cooked just right. Good interaction with the characters as well.

Day Five
Accidentally skipped breakfast. The kids had some cereal. We had planned to grab something at Main Street Bakery, but left when we saw the line (others obviously had the same idea).

Snack of Funnel Cake. This is the second time we stopped at the counter service at the entrance to Liberty Square off of the circle in front of the Castle. They have great funnel cakes there. They are made fresh and are definately large enough to split (though I also could have eaten one on my own).

Lunch at CRT. It was very nice to go to lunch here. This is another one that you probably need to have PS for. The atmosphere alone is worth it. While lunch wasn't a character meal, Cinderella was in the lobby before going up to the restaurant. They don't make any guarantees about this, though. The food, while good, I didn't think was great. The flavoring of the dishes was rather heavy handed and would have benefitted from more subtlety. Portions were huge though and we ended up boxing a good portion of my meal (since we were leaving the park after lunch).

Leftovers for Dinner. We nibbled on the food left from lunch so that we could have....

Dessert at Kona Cafe. We went in for dessert only (didn't want to risk filling up by having dinner first. ;) ). The volcano cake was very good as was the chocolate macademia nut tart. I wish I had room to try the guava mousse as well. Our DDs split the mickey cone which was a huge hit -- a free standing waffle cone surrounded by cotton candy and M&Ms filled with one scoop of chocolate and once scoop of vanilla ice cream, finished with a chocolate Mickey.

Day Six
Breakfast at 'Ohanna. I found this to be just "ok." Standard breakfast fare served family style, but no pancakes which is what the kids really wanted (but it did have Mickey waffles). It was one last chance for the kids to see the characters before we left and an easy way to spend the morning of our departure.

That's all! Feel free to ask any questions.

Never have ate at CRT. Would you say it was worth it? What does it look like inside? If you paid cash and were not on the dining plan would you say it was a good value for the money?

Thanks for the review. Although,I was kinda bummed about Chef Mickey's that usually is one of our favorite meals. Yours is like the seventh that I have read about with poor food quality. Hope Disney reads the boards and fixes the food problem.

Maybe CM's was a bad day??!!

In fact, I have always thought the buffet at CM's was much better than the one at CP.....

thanks for the reviews....

shame about chef mickeys....we went for breakfast last saturday and enjoyed it.....we have gotten to where we mostly eat buffets only for breakfast (there were a few exceptions...mothers day brunch, trails end).....I dont usually enjoy a dinner buffet but I almost always enjoy a breakfast one

I did think CRT was worth it. The theming I found to be very nice. It feels like you are inside a castle and not just at a restaurant -- I mean it does have a restaurant feel, but the walls and pillars are stone (or more likely faux stone), the windows are stained glass, etc. I liked taking the stairs rather than the elevator up. It is a spiral staircase with red carpet. We weren't on the dining plan and I didn't find the prices to be any more out of line than any other table service. If you check allearsnet.com for the menu you can see the prices. Personally we aren't huge eaters so for us we'd either get appetizers as a main course or just entrees with no appetizers or dessert. Like I said, the food wasn't outstanding. It did feel like the chef was trying to hard for a "gourmet" flavor, but trying too hard KWIM? Still, it was nice just to be able to eat inside the castle and I'm guessing getting an appetizer and dessert would be a nice way to go too.

As for CMs, it seems a lot of the reviews of late are saying the same thing I found. I had heard great things about CMs food, but was a bit nervous since the more recent visitors weren't giving it good reviews. It may have been an off night, but it really was bad. It wasn't that I had had high expectations that were dashed (it is a buffet and I know quality often suffers for variety). I do think it is correctable, but honestly it seems to be a management issue. The choices would have been fine, but it was like everything was left out way too long and not cooked properly to begin with. The shrimp were totally floppy from being left in a bowl of water (the ice had long since melted), the hot dogs were floating in the greasy water under the heat lamps (not changed at all in the almost 2 hours we were there), prime rib was either extremely rare or completely over done, etc. All of these things seemed to be more about not having good management watching what was being put out how often, so it definately is correctable.

The good news about CMs is that it made me appreciate the great buffets at CP and 1900 Park Faire even more :D

Great reviews, bellarella! Thanks.
I always enjoy the dinner buffet at 1900 Park Faire. The warm bread pudding with vanilla sauce, YUM!
Just curious about Kona Cafe, did you have a PS or just walk up? Any problems or attitude about being dessert only?

Debbie

Would you mind telling us more about your "bad choices" at Kona Cafe? I'm thinking of having lunch there one day during our Oct. trip...

Thanks! :wave2:

Thanks for the reviews. I just made an ADR/PS for lunch at CRT yesterday for 5/29 because my sister wants to try the Celebration dessert and she wasn't all that thrilled with the dinner menu(or the princess lunch that starts 6/10). Of course, we're eating there partly(mostly) for the atmosphere so it's good to know that it's impressive. I was thinking that maybe my sister and I would check out the soup de jour and cheese fries to split and then get dessert and maybe mom and grandma would split a cesaer salad or foccacia sandwich.

No problems at all going to Kona just for dessert (especially if you are ordering drinks too -- DH had a Lapu Lapu, I had to pass since I'm pg). You can also do carry out there if for some reason they do give you attitude. We never had PS at Kona and had no problems getting in. Park crowds were light when we were there though, so I don't know if that would be the case in high season. Also going either early or late in comparision to "normal" meal times is helpful.

Our "mistake" in ordering at Kona was the Blacken Mahi Mahi sandwich. It was fine, just boring. I liked the Island Chicken Sandwich and larger entree sized meals (with rice) all looked good walking by.

xterrati, I think your plan for CRT lunch sounds great. If I had it to do over I would have gone with appetizer/dessert or a sandwich rather than the entrees. If you get to sit by a window it will be great, but we enjoyed even with out this.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter