Dining plan question

CaoilinnsMom

Mouseketeer
Hello, I know this has been discussed many times, but do you love getting the dining plan? Other than a discussion of the cost, why do you like it so much?

No I don't love the DP. I think it's way overpriced for what you get. I've only paid for it two trips & they were both trips with a split stay where I was able to make better use of only having it for a few days with the bonus of getting the mug rather than having to make a separate purchase of it. I find it too much work to try to get my money's worth. Having my meals prepaid doesn't do it for me unless they end up costing me less that if I had paid OOP. As I rarely would even consider purchasing dessert at a CS it resulted in wasted food. Now that you can substitute it's got a bit more flexibility to it but still too much planning needed to make it work for me.

Have never done the DP.
Have no plan to every do so.
When we have looked into doing the DP, we find that it is more expensive than OOP.

If you love to eat and don't mind the pressure to get to your next ADR, like snacks, and don't mind paying the price then the DDP may be worth it.

:earsboy: Bill

We usually do the deluxe plan for our family trips. We do 2 table service most days, with lots of character meals and the occasional signature. By paying upfront we can relax more when we're at Disney and not worry about how much what we're eating costs. I do the math some trips and have found that we do save a bit, but as long as it's at least break even we would probably keep buying, as for us it makes the trip more relaxing. Our situation probably isn't the most common, we spend about 3 hours each day in restaurants, but for us the dining plan works.

Hello, I know this has been discussed many times, but do you love getting the dining plan? Other than a discussion of the cost, why do you like it so much?
No. Apart from cost, I don't like the restrictive nature of dining credits. We don't eat like that, and it doesn't provide the "freedom" we desire.

I don't like the DDP at all. it was probably a good value back when it included tip and appetizer, but I don't typically eat a TS every day so it works out to be more restrictive than cash for me. now that tips are not included, you still have that hassle as part of the payment for the meal. I also like to have the option to eat offsite (or at kimono's or something semi-offsite) for better quality/lower price.

I don't like the DP so much because it's just too much food. Nobody needs as much food as that plan wants you to eat and the food that I would actually eat doesn't cost near as much as a DP. I'd prefer TIW and save the 20% and just pay cash.

IMO it doesn't make sense at all if it doesn't make sense from a cost standpoint. There is risk with the DP so as a minimum one needs to at least match the savings one would have had with other means such as TIW, AP, DVC discounts and the like. We tend to get it on trips where we have multiple rooms and can target those that will get a better use of it than others. I know some like the prepaid situation but I can't support that method if it doesn't make sense financially also. Given there is considerable risk, I personally feel it has to save at least 20% or give an added value of at least 20%. Generally it allows us to make higher end choices for about the same we would have paid OOP with discounts but that assumes we only get it for the trips that it will work to do so.

Addressing the other issues more, some like the prepaid options and others hate the control it takes over their plans and days. We enjoy the sit down options and are happy to go to a park, do a few things, go to lunch then do a few more and head back to the room then get ready for a nice dinner.

We did the dining plan once, I think it was the first year DVC could add it to a reservation. Appetizers were included, tips were included and it was about $35 a day for adults. Even that time we thought we spent too much time eating. We haven't done it since and have no desire to do it again. We usually make about two or three TS ADRs for a seven to ten night stay. We might add another easy to get breakfast while we are there.

We don't find it that attractive.

well this answers my question;-) I was thinking about trying it, but neither my daughter or I are big eaters. I think it really would be a waste of money for us. Oh, well. Just thought I would ask.

well this answers my question;-) I was thinking about trying it, but neither my daughter or I are big eaters. I think it really would be a waste of money for us. Oh, well. Just thought I would ask.

You might give it a try the next time that you have a split stay. We have used the deluxe plan when only staying on a reservation for 2 or 3 days.

:earsboy: Bill

I have a very unique situation for my next trip where the deluxe dining plan is clearly a winner. I am doing a split stay standard BLT 1 bedroom my first 2 days and then lake view 1 bedroom my last 4. Also the first 2 days it will be me and 3 kids under 10. My wife will join us on the second leg of the stay. So DW wants to go to the Lual which is about $250 for all 5 of us. We will go on the 3rd day of our dining plan, but DW's first day with us. If I get the Deluxe plan for just under $400, I can use 4 of my 6 meals for the Lual on my meal and DWs meal. So for $150 I get 2 adult TS meals, 12 kid TS meals, 16 snacks, mugs and a couple appetizers. Even tough my youngest is 6 he eats like he is 12, so he can eat the app and his little kids meal too. To me the deluxe plan was a no brainer and I am saving lots of money. I value 2 appetizers and 16 snacks at around $110. 4 mugs I also value at $6 or $7 each. For my specific scenario, I am very close to getting the 2 adult sit down meals and 12 kid sit down meals for "free" compared to just paying for the Lual outright. I have TIW too, but an extra $50 still isn't worth the 14 meals above.

I love splitting the dining plan, but find after 3 days all the meals just become too much for me. I like meals in my room too. Also, having kids under 10 is helpful. I probably won't get the DDP once they are over 10. It just wouldn't be worth it. I will gladly go offsite for dining and spend half as much.

I have a very unique situation for my next trip where the deluxe dining plan is clearly a winner. I am doing a split stay standard BLT 1 bedroom my first 2 days and then lake view 1 bedroom my last 4. Also the first 2 days it will be me and 3 kids under 10. My wife will join us on the second leg of the stay. So DW wants to go to the Lual which is about $250 for all 5 of us. We will go on the 3rd day of our dining plan, but DW's first day with us. If I get the Deluxe plan for just under $400, I can use 4 of my 6 meals for the Lual on my meal and DWs meal. So for $150 I get 2 adult TS meals, 12 kid TS meals, 16 snacks, mugs and a couple appetizers. Even tough my youngest is 6 he eats like he is 12, so he can eat the app and his little kids meal too. To me the deluxe plan was a no brainer and I am saving lots of money. I value 2 appetizers and 16 snacks at around $110. 4 mugs I also value at $6 or $7 each. For my specific scenario, I am very close to getting the 2 adult sit down meals and 12 kid sit down meals for "free" compared to just paying for the Lual outright. I have TIW too, but an extra $50 still isn't worth the 14 meals above.
It is the situation where the DP excels and the deluxe if always the best potential value. Kids under 10, shorter stays, more expensive options. Also, since kids meals are not grouped for the deluxe plan by age, you can pay for your meals during those 3 days (2 nights) in addition to your wife's meal at the Luau. You might have an OOP for kids meals along the way though unlikely unless you do other 2 credit choices since you'll have 24 credits total for 2 nights.

Maybe. The dining plan used to include a big, bold line that said you couldn't use credit for people not covered by the plan. It's not clear if that restriction is still being enforced. You should check for people reporting their individual experience in the dining forums.

I don't like it because of the way it is structured as you have to eat 1 Qs for every TS to get the value and we find this too much food.

We also don't like that you can't skip a meal if you aren't feeling it because it is prepaid.

Finally we don't find it all that convenient as you still have a bill to pay every meal for drinks and tip so it isn't really pre paid.

We prefer to eat as we wish and always find we spend less than the cost of DDP.

Maybe. The dining plan used to include a big, bold line that said you couldn't use credit for people not covered by the plan. It's not clear if that restriction is still being enforced. You should check for people reporting their individual experience in the dining forums.
That restriction has been lifted it appears. My recent experience was along those lines as well and was confirmed by the manager at T Rex, traditionally hard line on such matters.

It's one of the enhancements for this year.

It is the situation where the DP excels and the deluxe if always the best potential value. Kids under 10, shorter stays, more expensive options. Also, since kids meals are not grouped for the deluxe plan by age, you can pay for your meals during those 3 days (2 nights) in addition to your wife's meal at the Luau. You might have an OOP for kids meals along the way though unlikely unless you do other 2 credit choices since you'll have 24 credits total for 2 nights.

Thanks. I did not know about the adult/ kid grouping.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter