Dining plan newbie

Discussion in 'Disney Resorts' started by bwifan, Mar 10, 2014.

1. bwifan

bwifan Mouseketeer

We are planning our first September trip ever. I understand free dining is sometimes offered during this time. We don't usually do the dining plan, but would of course if it was free.
    Anyway, do I add the dining to my package now? Or do I add it to my package later, if the free dining thing actually happens? Which is easier?

2. Avatar

DIS Sponsor The Walt Disney World Swan and Dolphin is located in the heart of the Walt Disney World Reosrt.

to hide this advert.
  3. GaBelle

GaBelle DIS Veteran

Adding it when its offered since you said you probably won't add it otherwise.

4. mickeynut1

mickeynut1 DIS Veteran

If you will only get the DDP if it's free, I'd probably wait to see if it's offered. If you have a package already booked, your reservation can easily be modified, as long as the resort/room type you have booked is available under FD as having a reservation already in place does not guarantee a discount can be applied. Also, if you book RO now and want to change to a package later, the RO will have to cancelled/refunded and a package booked, requiring a new $200 deposit (or payment in full if this is done 45 days or less from arrival).

5. bwifan

bwifan Mouseketeer

Thanks.

I'll wait and see. Book my usual now.

6. FutureMayor

FutureMayor Earning My Ears

I would suggest weighing the discounts available to you in September, then make your decision. If you get a steep discount on rooms (30% or something like that), it sounds to me that you may get more benefit from a room discount than you would on a free dining plan but paying full rack rate. Based on your description of your family, your children do not sound like they would come close to capturing the value of dining plan.

There are very few cases where the dining plan makes sense, so I would strongly suggest doing the math before making your decision.

If you are concerned about controlling the cost of your vacation, there are many other ways to do it (pre-paid gift cards, etc.). To me, I'd rather have the money in my pocket than in theirs.

7. bwifan

bwifan Mouseketeer

I figured they never offered room discounts while offering free dining. If they did I would definitely go with that! The dining plan doesn't really match my family. Two girls who eat nothing and a boy who only eats mussels (usually an app)!