Dining - Only Late Available.....HELP

Discussion in 'Disney Cruise Line Forum' started by MindyMouse76, Dec 27, 2010.

1. MindyMouse76

MindyMouse76 Mouseketeer

So I really want to book a cruise for this summer on the dream. I have a daughter that is 6 years old and normally is in bed at 8pm. We normally eat dinner by 5:30pm. There is NO way we can do the late dining. Just would never work. I noticed that the late dining is only available this entire summer. What have other people found. If I get put on waitlist what is my chances of getting main dining? That will make/break my decision of booking a Disney Cruise. I am not paying all of that money to find out we can't have sit down dining b/c we are ready for bed then!

Any advise would be great.

Thanks.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Book your cruise; wait list main seating for dinner. IF you don't get it (and there is a good chance that you will), go to "dining changes" after you board and ask if you can be moved to main seating. Again, there is a reasonable chance that they can move you. If all else fails, you can eat on the pool deck--it's a sit down at dinner, not a buffet.

Also, I don't know where you are from...but if you are not in an Eastern time zone, the later dinner may help to keep your child on more of the schedule she is on at home. If you are coming from the west coast, late seating is perfect.

On line, they ALWAYS give you late seating....then people who want main get it by request. We get late even 2 years in advance!

4. mmouse37

mmouse37 DCL Diva!!

I can understand what you are saying but late dining is not really as bad as you think. There are many food options to keep little ones from getting hungry until dinner time. I feel bad that you feel that not getting early dining is a deal breaker....you would be missing out on so many other wonderful things DCL has to offer. You can be put on a waitlist and chances are good that you will get early dining by the time of your cruise. You can also board and go to the dining changes venue and see about getting your seating changed if it has not happend before then.

We have found that our normal routines don't work while on vacation and we wind up going with the flow. We would let the kids nap at some point during the day and they had no problems at all at late dinner.

You may be surprised how well the little one does with eating later. Think about it before deciding not to go at all on the cruise.

MJ

5. WarrFamily5

WarrFamily5 Earning My Ears

We booked our cruise real late and were given 2nd Seating and I called 3 weeks before the Cruise and they put us into the Main (1st) dining. I have been told (so do not rely on it's accuracy) that they look to the ages of the people in your party and, if you have lil' ones you should get the Main Dining. Althoug, some rave about Second seating as they did not feel as rushed to get to dinner so early.

Happy Holidays!!

6. tinkmom2

tinkmom2 DIS Veteran

We found we actually prefer the second dinner seating. It is helpful if you lay your little one down for a nap mid day. My daughter was 3 the first time we set sail. Our dinner was a little after 8 and she did fine. (that being said I am not happy with the second dinner seating and the first show on the Dream . The whole purpose of the second dinner was for us to have more time in our day. Now we will have to rush back to the ship to see the show)

7. gailg3horses

gailg3horses Mouseketeer

I also booked my cruise for this past July really late (like a couple of weeks ahead when the Fl resident rates came out). I got late dinner but wait listed for main. When we got our dining tickets in our room, they had already switched it to main dining and it wasn't a problem at all. I wouldn't let that stop me from booking a cruise.

8. Fatima1922

Fatima1922 DIS Veteran

Your daughter's sleep patterns may change on the cruise. I had to throw my schedule out the window. We had late seating and I preferred it as well. We did give her snacks later. She also took later naps. She did fine. I wouldn't allow dinner time to stop you from booking. You will most likely be able to change to main seating but if not, you may find ways to accommodate late seating into your schedule. Hopefully your daughter will adjust well.

9. Fatima1922

Fatima1922 DIS Veteran

Just call to change your showtime. I had the same schedule as you. I asked to change to the 7pm show. They did it with no problem.

10. AbsyBabsy

AbsyBabsy Disney Diva

I agree with the other posters. if you really want early seating - make sure you board early enough to go to wherever they are making dining changes (its should be on the navigator they give you upon check in - otherwise ask around to cast members) They will set up to make changes. I recommend you don't wait until you get to the front of the line - talk in line, you may find another group that wants late seating and you can go up together to request a switch. This has worked for me before.

11. kcashner

kcashner DIS Veteran

Yes, it's always great to get to the front of the line with your "new friend" and say that you want to swap. That way you KNOW you'll get it!

12. tinkmom2

tinkmom2 DIS Veteran

Yep I called DCL right away but the only other time they had open for dinner was way too late. So I am stuck with what we got.

13. S'sMom

S'sMom DIS Veteran

We have taken 5 cruises to date, and so far have always had the late seating. When we started our dd was 2 years old. Any schedules we threw out because trying to stay on one, defeats the whole purpose of being on vacation. I agree with some of the pp's, just get her down for a nap during the day and she will do better than you think.

Trust me, not having to rush to dinner is priceless (IMO). Also, dont they have the deal where you can have the kids eat early (during that time) and then the kids club workers come to get them about 45 minutes in?? Perhaps someone can answer that for me.

Either way, just go with the flow and I am sure you will be able to get something earlier closer to your departure date or the first day of the cruise. I hope this helps. :thumbsup2

14. crw

crw Mouseketeer

Mindy,
    In which state do you live. I ask bc time zones may help you. For our central time bodies, 8:00 dinner feels like 7:00. 6 for mountain, 5 for pacific. Even if you are eastern time, I agree with other posters that you may more ok with late than you expect, if you are unable to change. Make that change request early and you will likely be successful. If not, i understand your concern, but would hate to see you miss out over an issue that seems huge now, but may be ok in the end. Good luck, whatever you decide!

15. AmandaRG

AmandaRG DCL is my happy place!!!

We are cruising in March on the Magic. Late seating is all that was available and I wasn't thrilled with it, but we will see how it works. We live in the central time zone, so most of the days will be on an hour earlier schedule anyway. We are going to utilize the Dine and Play and try to enjoy dinner as a couple. That doesn't happen much right now, so we are looking forward to it! There are many ways for them to have a late afternoon snack so that they won't be starving by dinner. We are pretty scheduled at home, but I'm going to work HARD to not worry about it that week!

Good luck!