Dining in a Wheelchair

KisanMcG

The Other Wendy-Lady
Hi, folks! I'm new to the boards, though a longtime lurker. Frequent WDW visitor, Aspie, and currently battling some crazy knee issues. My DH and I are going to be hitting the parks in about a week (for a "succesful surgery celebration"), and the doc just issued the news that I'm not quite ready to get out of the chair. We'd already planned on having DH push me around this visit, but I was hoping to be able to transfer by then when it came to mealtimes.

Since I am stuck in my wheels, I'm worried that there will be problems fitting into some of our ADR locations. We've had some issues in local restaurants that have caused a lot of embarrassment (like them moving a table to the lobby area because I didn't fit down the aisles), and I was wondering if I should change some of what we have to head that kind of thing off at the pass. We're currently set to dine at the 50's Prime Time, Narcoosee, Kona, and Chef Mickey's. Anyone have any opinion on dining at those locations when one is seated before they even get in the door? ;)

I can't speak specifically to those restaurants, but I don't think you should experience any issues. WDW sees a lot of wheelchair guests in their restaurants.

Just for your piece of mind you could always contact the reservation group and ask them to note on you ADR that you will need seating to accommodate a wheel chair. This might ensure the smoothest seating for you?

Yep, we took care of that part. Resort, DME, and dining are all aware of the change. I think I'm primarily worried about navigating through the restaurants to our table. Prime Time is a little narrow even when I've been walking! :)

Yep, we took care of that part. Resort, DME, and dining are all aware of the change. I think I'm primarily worried about navigating through the restaurants to our table. Prime Time is a little narrow even when I've been walking! :)

In that case I would not give it another thought, you should have no problems at all! I am sure your host/hostess will clear the way for you. Have fun.

Having the note on the Dining Reservation really is not useful the way the system is set up. As soon as you and your DH check in at a restaurant podium tell the person that you cannot transfer so they will realize your needs at that time.

Having the note on the Dining Reservation really is not useful the way the system is set up. As soon as you and your DH check in at a restaurant podium tell the person that you cannot transfer so they will realize your needs at that time.
::yes::
If they need to move tables, they will do it before you enter the dining room.

We have not had any problems though. Occasionally, someone's chair is pushed out a bit too far, but no big deal - people are very nice about moving .
we've been to Prime Time and although it looks narrow, we had no problem. DD would not have been able to get to some of the seats at our table because they we against the wall, but she sat at one of the seats on the outside of the table.

Thanks for the info. I feel better about our choices, and the hubby can make sure the podium has all the right info.

If I had to summarize? Two words; no problem.

I use a powerchair while in the parks and/or restaurants and tend to 'not transfer'*. As stated, simply inform so when checking in at the podium and it will get taken care off without a blink. As Sue already posted other guests can sometimes be a small hurdle, but I have to say around WDW i have yet to run into even one person not being happily willing to make space when seeing me coming or me asking for it in case they don't see. Not always the experience IRL. ;-)

* with this I mean that I need my powerchair constantly and for everything. The only downside of my chair -which we have chosen for, realising this- is that it is high up because of the stuff I had to have built in. Because of this, my chair is too high to be able to just scoot upto a table. I'm up there, so to say. However, having my food on at least a ergonomically safe heigth if not (a lot) heigher is best for my arms. So when my arms are at their worst, I have the physical abilities that day and the regular chair isn't beyond Hellish-Hellish I might just resort to using the powerchair for anything and all but -quickly- consuming my meal. I will transfer onto a regular chair for this sometimes and transfer back ASAP after consuming because of the hellish results of using a regular chair. Nuts, right? Right! :rotfl: And even when explaining this at the podium -and repeat for the CM serving me, as it is so out of the norm and they are so set to help by removing all seats around- they don't blink an eye and always accomodate me in a way I can do this safely with enough space around. Heck, they don't even blink when asking for a table from where I can dash to the bathroom if need be (food issues, never know how it will be until I eat and do not bother other guests with that). Might get a comment that it could take a bit longer but no blinking or anything else but stellar experiences with this.

Enjoy!

Oh and don't shy away from grabbing yourself something from a QS without hubby if it happens to work out that way. Either a CM will already walk up to you asking if you need help with stuff like a tray or unaccessible places (some are so kindly insisting they will not take no, somehow I always have that happen at Cosmic Rays) or when asking for a helping hand one will be happy to help as soon as they can. So no need to balance a tray on your lap if you don't feel comfortable and/or safe to do so and wait for DH out of "but I need help, hmm".

Allthough....... might not want to tell DH that if you want a good excuse for eating more snacks this trip. :hyper:

I feel like I just let out a deep breath :) It's been a process with this knee, and every trip is a different adventure in assistance devices - crutches, sometimes an ECV, sometimes a rollator, but this is the first time in a wheelchair and I was a little panicked. Like you say, it's been less than awesome IRL... but now I not only feel good about our TS ressies, but my ability to get CS if he wants to hit an attraction while I'm people watching. Thanks! :goodvibes

Now my next goal is to get through the line at Karamell-Küche with my arms full of candies :laughing:

I feel like I just let out a deep breath :) It's been a process with this knee, and every trip is a different adventure in assistance devices - crutches, sometimes an ECV, sometimes a rollator, but this is the first time in a wheelchair and I was a little panicked. Like you say, it's been less than awesome IRL... but now I not only feel good about our TS ressies, but my ability to get CS if he wants to hit an attraction while I'm people watching. Thanks! :goodvibes

As long as you're realistic, you are going to love it at WDW. Obviously they can't magically heal or make wheelchairs fit where it's not possible. But within possible and reasonable, they are amazing. You will be fine. Promiss.

Now my next goal is to get through the line at Karamell-Küche with my arms full of candies :laughing:

First up; you are sitting in a chair. A lap holds MANY candy. :rotfl2: If need be; have a bag hanging on your back you can fill up. If all else fails, you can always approach a CM and go "hilfe, bitte". (help, please) It's not the politest form, but polite enough for the situations where you are about to drop things because you are too....... tempted and holding a bit much. ;)

Add; and watch it with hot and/or wet stuff when not 100% sure and safe. Not worth the risk or ickey wet pants not to get some help in those few moments.

But in reality? A wheelchair is great when needing to lug loads of stuff 'round. Just watch your knee when putting things on your lap and/or in between legs on the feetrests.

SORRY!!

Not trying to hijack the thread. Would I have a problem with an ECV trying to get to a table and can only walk a very very short distance. Would someone from the resturant park ECV for me after I got as close to the table as I could. Am thinking of doing a solo trip later this year.

Would I have a problem with an ECV trying to get to a table and can only walk a very very short distance. Would someone from the restaurant park ECV for me after I got as close to the table as I could. Am thinking of doing a solo trip later this year.
First of all, a CM would not be allowed to drive the ECV.

Second, a lot would depend on the ECV. For example the Disney ECVs are massive and unwieldy; a standard ECV is easier to maneuver, and a transportable, such as the Pride Go-Go is easiest.

Some of the restaurants the tables are very close together and getting to turn it around at the table would be extremely difficult.

I find that I can usually park my ECV less than 100 feet from my table. If you normally do not use your ECV inside your house you should be able to get to and from tables. And it is generally much easier at the Resort restaurants than the Park restaurants.

Thanks Cheshire.

I have a sunrunner scooter, not as big as the disney scooters. I know a CM cannot ride the scooter to move it, but could they push it to park it like they do at some of the rides?

I use a 4 wheel walker around the house. If I was able to attach and secure the walker to ECV (back of the chair, headrest) would Disney allow it? Then I could use the walker to get to the table. It would not touch the ground and would not be as wide as the scooter. I would be staying on site but not using disney transportation.

I use a 4 wheel walker around the house. If I was able to attach and secure the walker to ECV (back of the chair, headrest) would Disney allow it? Then I could use the walker to get to the table. It would not touch the ground and would not be as wide as the scooter. I would be staying on site but not using disney transportation.
The only prohibition related to that is you cannot tow something or have a passenger. If you are able to attach the walker to the back of the ECV there would be no reason not to use it.

I highly recommend you have wheelchair accessibility added to all your ADR's. We have had a few issues with extended waits at certain full-service dining locations where there are stairs in the dining areas when it was not noted. If you don't add the note to your ADRs, make sure you let the cast member know when you are checking in for your dining experience.

All in all we have had very few issues with dining in a wheelchair, the buffet locations can be a challenge though.

I have never had a problem with my power cahir so I don't think you will have any problems at Disney restaurants

The only place I had a problem was Chef Mickey's. I did not note my power chair on my ADR.We were a large party and the area that was set aside for us was up a few steps. I can not do stairs. My sons said they would carry me but in no time at all the staff had new tables ready for us. I didn't know Chef Mickey's even had stairs!

not meaning to be a downer but 2 years ago even with ECV needed on the ressie had trouble with all sit downs. most finally had me use to table but had to transfer to chair. even to the point that one manger came to table to try settle problems to tell me ECV would not fit after i had almost fell. could not get chair to sit on til ECV was brought to me by CM. had used to table before manger came by. manger could not believe that it fit. manger was less help than staff. ECV was on ressie as needed to table, so that was no help for me.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter