Dining at Disney post bariatric surgery

Discussion in 'Disney Restaurants' started by Moira222, Dec 7, 2012.

1. shellybaxter

shellybaxter Dis Veteran <br>Disney Restaurants for one hundre

My take on eating post gastric is that I still enjoy food, so like some others in this thread, I still order what I want and simply eat less of it. If there is someone to share it with all the better. We eat at Signatures a lot, so I will order apps and entrees and share a dessert with DH (and maybe an entree if we can agree - we always share the app anyway). We will go to buffetd for the characters anythough to will be expensive. I've just resigned myself to the fact that I will "waste" food. No biggie - its worth it to continue to enjoy what is a big part of our vacations for me - disney dinning.

2. Avatar

Google AdSense Guest Advertisement

to hide this advert.
  3. clanmcculloch

clanmcculloch DIS Veteran

How do you figure that Disney's not as accomodating? If your surgery results in you needing alterations to your food so that you can safely eat it then chefs will do so (this does happen for some). Those of us with a variety of special dietary needs still pay the same as (actually sometimes more than) everybody else. We do not EVER expect to pay less than anybody else even when the only side offered is a kids' package of grapes or apple sauce instead of a regular side or a small package of two tiny cookies instead of a big cake. We frequently get less than everybody else (there are occasions where we get something really special that others don't get but they are far outweighed by occasions where we get less like a scoop of sorbet instead of a decadent gooey dessert) but we always pay the same as or more than everybody else.

There are reports of issues with sharing meals or ordering from the kids' menu at non-Disney owned restaurants but Disney themselves are accomodating; they just won't change the price (for anybody).

4. Babbletrish

Babbletrish DIS Veteran

Whatever you do, make sure you get a note from your doctor or surgeon explaining your situation. I went to WDW two weeks after having my Gallbladder removed and everyone was extremely sensitive to my needs. Mind you this was a few years ago, but hopefully this advice still applies.

5. Moira222

Moira222 Can't get enough of the Magic & Pixie Dust!

This is an exciting concept of the "entertainment fee". Akershus banquet is our family's must do every trip to see the princesses and for the breakfast. I dont relish spending $45 fr a few ounces of food but would be happy to pay a smaller fee to share the experience with my family. I can understand that this is a managers discretion thing, but would never have thought to ask.thanks!

6. Moira222

I am hoping that by the time we get there i will be fairly comfortable with what foods work best for me. The idea of an extended bathroom session is not very magical is it?Lol

7. Moira222

Basically i have a list of foods to avoid, and guidelines for healthy eating with a focus on low fat protein...not much different than what a dietitian would give to any one. The trick is knowing which foods will be better handled by my unique physiology..while my pre-surgery self would have suffered a little indigestion from an overly fatty or seasoned food, my post-surgery stomach will react much more strongly to that same dish, causing extreme discomfort and major intestinalactivity. the restaurants as WDW use many different seasonings and cooking methods that i don't use at home, so i won't know how i handle it til i have it the first time. So that's why i asked here. between getting feedback about things like kids portions vs adult fees, knowing which restaurants may have more good selections over others,etc, there is always something to be learned on the DIS!

8. Moira222

Folks thanks for this great feedback. I dont respond to every post becase i use my nook to surf and itsa hassle. 8-)

9. RMoneyTheHBomb

RMoneyTheHBomb Mouseketeer

Just got back yesterday and am 6 months out on the sleeve. All in all, things went well. We did le cellier and my wide and I split the mushroom filet. (Well I had 1/3 of it)

The other table serve we did was ohana. Delicious, but its too much to pay 30 dollars for a few bites. Sad, but is a small price to pay for being healthier than I used to be.

The rest of the trip, I ate off my wife's quick serves and all seemed to go well. I had some moments where I went overboard and paid the price, but it was still an awesome trip. Different though as we used to be deluxe dining plan people.

10. ChristineNic

ChristineNic Mouseketeer

I am a year post gastric band. I have been to WDW several times since my surgery and every TS resturant has been great. I have ordered appetizers, shared entrees with DH, and ordered from the kid's menu.

We don't do the dining plan and tend to avoid buffets, but we did that prior to my surgery as well.

My band won't tolerate anything that is flour dense - bread, pasta, cakes, or pie crusts, dry/tough meats, or grape skins. Rather than ask for substitutions for things, I ask that they be left off my plate or just don't eat them.

I have never had a restaurant at WDW deny any accomodation. However, I have never requested a reduced price or child's price, either.

The best advice that I can offer is to talk with your server before your order.

11. Moira222

Did they have any issues with sharing a dish? We have a 9 YO, and she and I often choose the same thing, so I could see sharing a dish with her. Isn't Ohana where they serve you family style at the table? I have not eaten there before. I KWYM about the pricing but in the long run, well worth it!

I am so excited that the newer kids menus seem to be "real" food as opposed to pizza and chicken nuggets everywhere.

I will have to waste at least one buffet when we go -- sadly its really the best way to have character interactions and I can't see a way around it till DD gets a little older. (well, who am I kidding? I LOVE the character interactions probably more than she does!!!)

12. Deb & Bill

Deb & Bill DVC-Trivia Contest, Apr-2006: Honorable Mention

Ohana is like buffets. You all pay to enter the space and they serve you familiy style. You don't order from the menu.

13. Melodious

Melodious DIS Veteran

Not the poster you were asking, but I have often shared dishes, even at signature restaurants and CS, and have never had a problem with the restaurant.

14. ChristineNic

ChristineNic Mouseketeer

Sharing a meal has never been a problem. In fact, some of restaurants split the meal in the kitchen and served it on two plates.

15. RMoneyTheHBomb

RMoneyTheHBomb Mouseketeer

Agreed. We had no issue sharing at le cellier. That being said, I felt kinda awkward splitting at a fancy place.