Dining at disney after bariatric surgery

PR-DISNEY

Mouseketeer
Hi everyone. My DH has had full gastric bypass surgery and eats mostly protein in small amounts compared to my eating.:) We opted to not get the dining plan this trip because it would be such a waste of food at the counter service places. I was wondering if there are any bypass people out there who have any helpful hints or strategies for eating at the parks?

Share meals, or order smaller meals like appetizers or kids meals.

There's not much you can do with a buffet, or a family style/fixed price, because adults are going to be charged the adult price even if they don't eat much. Do as few of those as you can.

Pack protein with you... beef sticks, cheese sticks, single serving protein drinks or powder that can be mixed with water. Stay hydrated and share meals. Disney will not alter pricing based on amount one can eat... stay away from the fried stuff and he will be fine. Order burgers without the bun, grilled chicken without the bun and make a salad with the topping bar offerings.
I had lap-band in 2009, and revising to gastric sleeve as soon as I can, band has slipped and needs to be removed, has cause erosion and the way to fix it will be with the sleeve.

Seconding the PP, bring protein bars or powder with you. I order the salads with chicken on top, eat the chicken and pick at the lettuce if I can fit it, I have the band though. I stay away from any and all buffets and really do not eat bread or pasta of any kind. All salads and soups have been fine for me with the exception of the taco salad which I just could not keep down. Keep hydrated and always have a protein bar on hand. I buy cheese sticks also and bring them down in a cooler bag. If I am hungry and the kids want ice cream, I grab a yogurt cup.

I am a bit over 2 years post op and have made a few trips to the world since. It is true that buffets are now a waste of money. Unfortunately I have 5 normal eaters in my group, so we end up doing 1 or 2 on a trip.
Make sure he keeps up on his hydration and protein. It is actually really easy to keep up on the eating aspect. You just have to plan a little. I looked at the menus on all ears to figure out a few things. I don't have issues eating much so I could find something at any restaurant we went too.

Have a fun trip. It is more fun now that I know I won't be sore after walking all day due to the weight and that I can fit comfortably on every ride.

Sarah

We have always gone on the DDP since I had my band. I just order what looks good and if I can only eat a few bites, I only eat a few bites. I make sure and ask for a drink to go when we leave (most places will give you one), that way I'm not drinking with my meal and I stay hydrated. But that is the way I normally order / eat when we go out to restaurants. I order anything on the menu that I want and just eat little bit of it I can. I don't like to miss out on stuff :)

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter