Dilemma - Cancel RPR and Buy Express Passes?

WiganTony

DIS Veteran
Currently in a bit of a dilemma!!

I booked RPR last July for April 6th 2009 on the basis that the Express Passes for the same days over the Easter 2008 period (Monday/Tuesday before the Easter Weekend) were showing as around $50 each. As there are three of us, this would cost us around $300 plus tax for the two days, and the RPR was $372 including tax.

However, I have checked the current prices for the Express Passes which are coming in at $229 including tax for the 5/6 April.

The dilemma is do I cancel RPR and save $150 (but acknowledging that I lose the FOTL option and can only use Express Pass once on each ride), or keep the reservation? I also note that this time would still be Spring Break time for a number of schools in the US, so will the parks be extremely busy, or could I risk the Express passes (or possibly wait until we get there)?

I guess a further factor would be if the hotel prices were reduced - how likely would this be given that it is the Easter fortnight?

Any advice welcome - thanks.

I would stay with your RPR reservation. Especially since it is spring break and the parks will be crowded. You can take afternoon breaks and enjoy the pool at the hotel and then return to the parks later, etc. The convenience of staying on site just can't be beat.

I would stay with your RPR reservation. Especially since it is spring break and the parks will be crowded. You can take afternoon breaks and enjoy the pool at the hotel and then return to the parks later, etc. The convenience of staying on site just can't be beat.

since prices have dropped dramatically since you have booked, why don't you see if you could get your rates dropped for your room?

::yes::

since prices have dropped dramatically since you have booked, why don't you see if you could get your rates dropped for your room?
That's a very good suggestion. :thumbsup2

One thine to remember is that express passes will give you only ONE express access to any ride where staying onsite gives you UNILIMITED express access.

It doesn't look like your rate has changed. AAA doesn't seem to have any discounts for that time either. Unfortunately April is a very busy and expensive month.

One thine to remember is that express passes will give you only ONE express access to any ride where staying onsite gives you UNILIMITED express access.

It doesn't look like your rate has changed. AAA doesn't seem to have any discounts for that time either. Unfortunately April is a very busy and expensive month.

I agree with damo and that time of year will be very busy and while I am always on tight budget an always looking to save money but when it comes to fotl and how close RPR is to the parks I don't mind spending the extra money

I agree with damo and that time of year will be very busy and while I am always on tight budget an always looking to save money but when it comes to fotl and how close RPR is to the parks I don't mind spending the extra money

This is how I feel. The convenience of staying onsite is well worth the extra money spent, even when on a budget. You can always cut corners elsewhere.

Thanks everyone for your replies. I guess that as it is Easter fortnight there won't be many (if any!!) reductions in the price, so it is down to whether or not we want to risk having only one express pass per attraction vs unlimited FOTL with a $150 saving.

Looks like a serious discussion with DW later!!!

stick with the hotel Tony, if you changed and bought the Express passes and decided you wanted to ride say Hulk or Spiderman etc a second time , you would probably be looking at a 45min to a 1 hour wait to do it.
Not sure if you have stayed onsite before, if you havent, and this is your first time, you will never visit Universal again without it.
So start saving for your return, as you will want to stay more than 1 night:cool1:

Stay at RPR!!! You won't regret it. Save on food by bringing a cooler and snacks and going back to your room to eat. With unlimited express u will have plenty of time.

+1 for sticking with the hotel. The value of unlimited express is well worth it! Plus the RPR is gorgeous.

Save $ by using the free ice water option at the parks, pack snacks, even invest in a refillable sipper cup.

Another vote for sticking with the hotel. Some rides you really want to ride more than once. (Spiderman, MIB, Mummy amoung others)

Not sure if you have stayed onsite before, if you havent, and this is your first time, you will never visit Universal again without it.
So start saving for your return, as you will want to stay more than 1 night:cool1:

Yes - first time in the RPR, and second visit to Universal (previous visit was way back in the last century!!).

do yourself a favor and stay on site.

there will be crowds in the parks when you go.

enjoy what the hotels have to offer you for your vacation.

since this is only your second trip to universal, you will be able to do a lot more things staying on site.

if hotel prices are higher for you than what you wanted at rph, just think of the rate of rental cars and other hotels would be during spring break...

and the traffic going and coming from the off site hotel to the park.

you stated you are going only for 2 days.
you would be wasting a lot of down time if you stayed off site.

keep your ressie at rph.
you'll thank us later..

Yes - first time in the RPR, and second visit to Universal (previous visit was way back in the last century!!).

You will love the RPR ,just like others said. And like i said when you return to Universal, you WILL be staying onsite and probably more than 1 night.
Not having to stand in queues, or be at the park for it opening makes it a more relaxing and enjoyable time.

Another vote for staying at the RPR. There are no guarantees in life, but I think you have a good chance of the hotel rate going down. About a week and a half before our arrival date (Dec. 24 for three nights), the rate went down almost $100 a night ($149 before tax)! We were there during a very busy time too, but as your date draws closer, if the hotel is not fully booked, they will be cutting deals to get those rooms filled.

It was very easy to call and get the better rate, just keep checking the website.

Have fun!

Thanks again everyone. Will keep looking for discounts nearer the time.

We don't actually need a hotel as we have the Springhill Suites at LBV booked as part of our 2 weeks package (booked at a bargain price back in 2007!!), but from all the comments, it seems that it will be money well spent!!

May need to economise by cutting down on the shopping days instead (but don't tell the wife and daughter ;) )

so you are saying you already cancelled the universal hotel?

No, dont think its cancelled Mac, he already has a holiday package booked with accom, the RPR was an extra treat for FOTL.
So think he still has it booked

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter