Different use years?

MrsM

Mouseketeer
I'm thinking (probably more wishful thinking than anything) about buying additional points through resale. I realize it's probably tough to find the number of points you want at the same resort with the same use year.

How do those of you with different use years keep track of your points? Does it get confusing for you, or is it pretty easy to stay on top of?

We are in that same situation - 2 different packages, 2 different UY's. One is March and one is June. Now, mind you, I would do it again if I had to, because we wanted BWV which is only available as a resale, plus we wanted smaller packages (50 or 100 points). Since they are sort of hard to come by, we had to take what we could get. However, it is somewhat difficult to manage.

We are bankers rather than borrowers, and already ran into a situation where we had only like 6 points left on one package, that couldn't be used (6 points will buy you nothing), so we ended up merging the points from one account into the other.

I researched high and low as to why we SHOULDN"T do this...was there any reason? We could find none. Points that have been merged into another account can always be banked, but once they have been banked, they cannot be merged into the other account, so if you wind down with only 6 points, they will be useless unless you come into your next year's points in time.

It was explained to us that once we merged the points (it is something you do every year--it's not a permanent thing), the same rules apply - March points are March points, June points are June points, have the same exp. dates, use dates, etc. etc. etc. Well, once I did this, it is actually not true. The Disney computers cannot distinguish the date from the merged package, so they are treated like the use year of the original package. I hope I am making sense. It really didn't bother me or affect the ressies I have made, so just as well. I imagine at some point the computers will get upgraded, it is probably just a matter of time.

Basically to make a long story short, we are going to do this every year. All it means is that the points are in one big pool and can be combined for a stay versus having 2 packages that are not combinable. Now I know alot of people will just make 2 separate ressies - one with one package of points, and the other with the other package, and then the ressies can be linked. That works just fine, but the only disadvantage again is if you are down to single digit points in one package - they cannot be used on their own or combined with the other package for anything unless you merge the 2 accounts.

Another plus is that we found out that merged points used in a ressie can be banked anytime (banking deadlines don't apply). I.E., we have a ressie for May of next year. If we cancel before 30 days prior to check-in, we can still bank these points even though the banking deadline has passed. I confirmed this with 2 separate cast members.

Hopefully this makes sense and is not too confusing. Having 2 separate UY's is a very do-able situation. Just take good notes with every transaction you make and understand your options. You may have to have the cast member help you sort out the 'best way' to make each ressie that you make, because you now have a new dynamic as to which points to use first, etc.

Good luck...again, I wouldn't let it STOP me from buying 2 different UY's, it just needs a little extra attention.

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter