diet trends

miley2g8

Earning My Ears
I know there are a lot of dieting trends out there right now, so many in fact, I get overwhelmed trying to research any of them on the internet. Anyway, I thought I'd come here and give this a try.
What has worked for you?

I'm really interested in reading some personal opinions. So thank you ahead of time!
Thanks,
M!

I know there are a lot of dieting trends out there right now, so many in fact, I get overwhelmed trying to research any of them on the internet. Anyway, I thought I'd come here and give this a try.
What has worked for you?

I'm really interested in reading some personal opinions. So thank you ahead of time!
Thanks,
M!

I went from 185lb to current 140lb by eating healthier and exercising. The weight took a while to accumulate so it took a while to come off. Never went for a new diet program. I was not interested in rapid loss like many people so the slow and easy approach worked for me. I think I am overall healthier now at almost 60 than in my 20's.

What ever you decide to do, make sure you feel good about it and stay with it.

Good luck.:thumbsup2

I think you have to pick something you feel you can live with. What might work for someone else & be great may be sheer torture to another :thumbsup2

DH & I (40/50's) started the South Beach diet the day after Easter so we've been on it about 2 months. I kid you not when I say the first 2 weeks were really, really hard. You are basically purging your system of sugars, enriched & bleached flours and processed foods. Eating a lot of protein & veggies. But we talked about it for about a month before starting so we were mentally prepared for it.

Once we got through the 2 week period, we began adding complex carbohydates back into our diet including fruits. But I won't just eat any bread now, I'll buy whole grains, sprouted grains, etc. same for the pasta we choose. Now that I am freed from the overwhelming junk & sugar cravings, fruit tastes so good again. I used to have to add sugar to my strawberries because I didn't think they tasted sweet! I don't have that problem anymore :woohoo:

I have learned to cook differently - I no longer use butter or margarine but olive oil, garlic, onion &/or lots of spices. The book has recipes but now that I've been on it 2 months, I can kinda wing it now. It does take dedication to buy the fresh produce & prepare it, but I feel so much better already - and that's my main objective, to be more healthy - the weight loss is a bonus!

And we've added a little exercising, going slow so we don't crash & burn. That's the key I think. You have to think about how you can live your best life, what's going to work for you in the long haul.

Good luck to you!

I think a lot of the "fad" diets have good points and bad points but above all I think diets don't work. For anything to work long term it has to be a lifestyle change, not a diet. Diets seem to have finite beginning and ends while lifestyle changes are much more permanent.

I think the biggest single step anyone can take is journaling everything you eat. That not only makes you aware of the actual calories you are eating as opposed to what you think you are eating but also makes you conscious of serving size. Many people overestimate what a single serving of a particular food is. A very common mistake is make with cereal. A regular bowl of cereal and milk will often have 3 or 4 servings of the cereal along with more then one serving of milk.

Adding at least 30 minutes of exercise a day will not only help you health-wise but will also speed the effectiveness of the lifestyle change.

I agree with journaling. I've been writing down everything I eat for a couple of months and exercising 5 to 6 days a week and I've had a lot of success with that. I have a certain calorie and fat gram range I stay within for my size so that I can lose weight but still get proper nutrition. Drinking lots of water is a help, I watch my sodium intake, and avoid fast food like the plague. I've tried various diets over the years and always regain so now I'm focusing intently on lifestyle change so I never have to do this again (I have quite a bit to lose).

Plus with journaling, you get to buy a pretty notebook or cool journal! :thumbsup2 I'll use any excuse to buy office supplies or go to Borders! :rotfl:

my family lives very close together so four of us ages 20, 40, 43, and 66 are following a mediteranian no added salt diet. we also use some recipes from weight watchers cookbooks. lots of fresh fruit and veggies, high fiber, mainly fish and some poultry, olive oil for main fat. there isn't anything particular off limits but of course some things are only for special occasions (red meats, concentrated sweets etc...). 2 of us are calorie counting. we takes turns with shopping, prep, cooking, and clean up so that no one person has to do it all with work, family, home etc... we're also walking between 2-4 miles 5-6 days a week. one person not counting calories or exercising has lost 6 pounds, my sister and i are including calorie counting and have lost 13 and 20 pound. we started early april. whatever type you decide look at it asking yourself if it's something you can do long term. we chose a mediteranian style diet because it doesn't feel like we're on a diet.

I agree with the journaling.

I have lost 30 lbs this year with a combo of calorie counting and lots of exercise.

Basically, to me it's all about subsitution where I can live with the substitute, and portion control where I can't, and staying away from triggers when at all possible

For example, I hate ff cheese, and I love red meat (and don't want to give it up). So, I portion out my meat and real cheese and make sure I am keeping it within my calories, but I don't remove it from my diet.

Chips, however, I have not had success in portion control. So, I avoid them, or keep them to cheat days only.

But, I have also found some great substitutions... light butter, ff sour cream, baking things instead of frying them, sugar free pudding cups or mousse, skinny cow ice cream sandwiches, bagel thins instead of bagels, I could go on and on.

Hungry Girl and Eat This Not That are great sources for substitutes, too.

Good luck!

I have been a member of sparkpeople.com for 3 years now and my life has changed completely. I first learned about it via the DIS btw. It is FREE!!!

If you do check the website out, look me up! I am laurie5658 over there.

It is awesome!

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter