Diet discussion (Spinoff from Matt's Sunrise Safari Breakfast Adventure thread

soniam

Wooden leg named Smith...
That's AWESOME! I'd like to lose about 20 pounds myself, but after turning 40 my metabolism has taken a nosedive making it a lot more difficult than it once was :(

My metabolism has been in the pot too since hitting 40. However, a couple of weeks ago I started the Whole30 diet. You could do Paleo too. I have lost some weight, not weighing myself, but clothes that haven't fit in months or years are fitting. My muscle mass feels more too. I am also eating more food than I normally did. I am not very preachy about diets, but I think for me cutting out the candy and dairy (yogurt & cheese) and eating more protein has made all the difference. I didn't have to cut out too many grains, because I had cut back on those years ago. I did the Zone diet many years ago with similar results, but it was way too restrictive and required too much measuring and tracking food. I wish I had remembered that I felt this good back then though, because I would have tried this earlier. Anyway, Whole30 is pretty easy, except for the first few days of sugar withdrawal; it doesn't have a lot of measuring and you can pretty much eat any meat, fish, fruit, or vegetable, including eggs. I think this would be hard if you are vegetarian though, because no beans either.

Last edited:
My metabolism has been in the pot too since hitting 40. However, a couple of weeks ago I started the Whole30 diet. You could do Paleo too. I have lost some weight, not weighing myself, but clothes that haven't fit in months or years are fitting. My muscle mass feels more too. I am also eating more food than I normally did. I am not very preachy about diets, but I think for me cutting out the candy and dairy (yogurt & cheese) and eating more protein has made all the difference. I didn't have to cut out too many grains, because I had cut back on those years ago. I did the Zone diet many years ago with similar results, but it was way too restrictive and required too much measuring and tracking food. I wish I had remembered that I felt this good back then though, because I would have tried this earlier. Anyway, Whole30 is pretty easy, except for the first few days of sugar withdrawal; it doesn't have a lot of measuring and you can pretty much eat any meat, fish, fruit, or vegetable, including eggs. I think this would be hard if you are vegetarian though, because no beans either.

I don't think I would last long on Paleo. I'll have to check out Whole30, I've never heard of it. I have had good success doing South Beach in the past, which is basically cutting out all sugar and "bad for you" carbs. The carb restricting diets are more difficult for me now since my son is a carb-o-holic and they are always an arms length away! He is a skinny thing with tons of energy so I would feel bad if I took away his carbs just because I can't control my self! Lately I've started eating at least one salad a day so that's a start. I just need to buckle down and make a plan! Easier said that done, right??!!

I don't think I would last long on Paleo. I'll have to check out Whole30, I've never heard of it. I have had good success doing South Beach in the past, which is basically cutting out all sugar and "bad for you" carbs. The carb restricting diets are more difficult for me now since my son is a carb-o-holic and they are always an arms length away! He is a skinny thing with tons of energy so I would feel bad if I took away his carbs just because I can't control my self! Lately I've started eating at least one salad a day so that's a start. I just need to buckle down and make a plan! Easier said that done, right??!!

I understand. I have a skinny 9 year old boy, and a carb loving husband. So, our cabinets are fully of candy, crackers, margarita mix, and mac n cheese. I can be pretty good if I have rules to follow. I can't make my own plan for squat, so I have to have someone else's rules. We will see how it goes after the 30 days is over. However, with the results I have seen so far, I am convinced that attempting to stick to it with only a treat once or twice a week might work for me. My husband was excited, because even though he's not doing the diet, he lost some weight due to my lack of snacking at night.

Whole30 is pretty similar to paleo, from what I know of paleo. The thing I liked about it is that instead of saying it's okay to make paleo pancakes, they say not to. The entire premise is to convince your mind and body to not crave junk food and sugar. They believe if it's in the form of something junky, then you will still crave it. My sugar and carb cravings are immensely less than before. When I am tired in the evening, instead of eating sugar, I realize that maybe it's time to go to bed. I also have gotten more creative with my protein choices. I am not a huge meat eater and can't stand leftover meat, chicken, or fish. So, in addition to cooking chicken or fish for dinner, I have been eating hard boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, canned salmon, canned chicken, and smoked chicken deli meat for breakfast or lunch. They recommend making a "protein" salad with your own homemade mayo. It's actually pretty good and really easy. I usually have that with a salad or leftover veggies from dinner. They also allow potatoes and sweet potatoes.

Good luck. I know it's hard. My metabolism was so messed up that I wouldn't feel hungry for an entire day or more sometimes, yet I still wouldn't lose any wait on the small amount of food I would sometimes eat and working out at the gym, intense yoga, and calisthenics 3-4 times/week.

We have made every effort to stay not only slim but healthy in regards to what we eat.
So we never buy sweets and red meat is a thing of the past. We also eat appropriate portions so even healthy foods are kept in check.
The funny thing is, when you eat like this for a while and then have a bite of hamburger or what ever, it's really heavy and doesn't sit well.
We have no exceptions either. Not when we eat out, not at the parks, never. We feel a lot better eating this way.

Last time we were in the park, we had a family of four standing in line in front of us. They all looked very healthy so it was no surprise when mom asked the kids if they wanted a snack and then produced a bag of healthy trail mix. Makes sence and kudos to them for teaching their kids healthy habbits.
Then we see a toddler in a stroller eating an entire churo. Let me just say family behind the stroller was not like the other group.

Last edited:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter