Diehard Disney 'Ohana Explores a Whole New Gluten-Free World! Update 8/3 - Captain Cook's

iloveeeyore

DIS Veteran
Next post with line-up and links!

Hi, fellow DISers! Happy Independence Day! And :welcome:to our fourth dining report! What better way to observe our favorite summer holiday than to start a new Disney dining report?! This is our first trip to the world since our last dining report in 2012, AND WE CAN’T WAIT TO GO BACK!!! Once again, we are celebrating so many milestones during our trip, including 2 birthdays, 3 graduations and some personal successes, too! We are shamelessly using these celebrations to rationalize this amazing trip to WDW. :genie:Thanks for joining us! Now that you know the WHY…

WHEN: July 22-July 29, 2016 - so basically, just a few weeks from now :flower1:

HOW: Amazing summer rates and lots of saved-up Disney Visa rewards. As we charge ALL of our living expenses to our Disney Visa, we have accrued quite a significant chunk of rewards in the past 4 years :rolleyes:, and we are counting on them to cover a majority of our dining expenses for this trip. We elected to go with no dining plan this year, so everything you see here will be paid for OOP. We are no strangers to the DDP or the DxDDP, and on our last several trips we have enjoyed them. Considering where and how we want to dine this time, we thought we’d be better off going free-style.

WHERE: Well...where ELSE?! The Poly, of course! :cloud9: We will visit all 4 theme parks and Disney Springs...and maybe even a water park!

WHO: Our fab family of four -

magicbands2.jpg

iloveeeyore AKA Jasmine-, yours truly, full-time staff nurse and trip organizer – I just completed my Bachelor’s Degree in Nursing (BSN) and we will be celebrating my hard work and accomplishment this trip. :teeth:

MainStreetFireman AKA Aladdin- DH, volunteer fireman :firefight, man-of-all-trades, and great helper when it comes to trip planning! We are celebrating his summer birthday in WDW. :bday:

Inspire&Imagine AKA Belle – DD, actress, comedian, dramatic writer! She is *officially* an adult this time, and in May she graduated from both college and our household. But she will never be too adult to travel with her family to WDW!! This year we celebrate her graduation (with honors), her independence, and her summer birthday! Also, since our last trip, Belle has been diagnosed with Celiac Disease,* and this will be our first Disney adventure with consideration to special dietary needs, not just preferences. Please look for the gluten-free (GF) section of notes in each of our reviews if you have similar needs…or even if you’re just curious. pixiedust:

DS AKA Hercules - actor, singer/musician, comedian, inventor :magnify:, college student :crazy:! Herc is home for the summer and his university is far, far away (he needs to take a plane!). We are celebrating his high school graduation (for various reasons, he didn’t really get a proper celebration last year), his successes so far at college (which have been numerous) and his simply being home with us, which feels like a big deal!!

We are all Disney fanatics! We also LOVE Disney Dining, great food, and laughing, playing, and EATING together! We enjoy sharing our experiences with our friends, so any little piece of information or advice we can offer can enrich the experiences of others. We hope that this report will bring something to you to assist in your planning! Thank you for reading, and please enjoy! And please chime in! We love to read your thoughts, ideas, criticisms, words of wisdom...anything you have to say will be appreciated here! So let's get ready to GOOOooo! :rainbow:

Again, :welcome:

*Celiac Disease note: :mickeybar

For those unfamiliar with Celiac Disease (CD), it is an autoimmune disease in which the exposure of the intestinal cells to gluten (a virtually indestructible protein found only in wheat, barley and rye) triggers the violent immune response of the body attacking, and eventually destroying, said cells of the intestines. This immune response causes the Celiac to feel sick, not only in the digestive system, but systemically, since the immune system causes inflammation and overall discomfort :crazy2:. Exposure to gluten is believed to have myriad long-term consequences, many of which are still to be discovered or proven, for Celiacs. The “good” thing about CD, is that it is “easily” managed by “simply” avoiding gluten. (I am being sarcastic, in a way – dining out is a very huge challenge for Celiacs, because few food-preparers are really educated on all the hidden sources of gluten. We hear that WDW has perfected gluten-free dining, and we are really looking forward to Belle relaxing and enjoying her week of dining in the happiest place on earth, and bringing that info back to you, if you are interested or concerned.)

ADRs next post!

Last edited:
Adding links as I upate! Work in progress!

DAY 1: Friday, July 22, 2016 - Arrival Day! (YAY!!)

BREAKFAST: Home (ditched our deli plans)

LUNCH: Captain Cook's

DINNER: ‘Ohana! And maybe a pre-dinner cocktail at Trader Sam’s (new to us) or Tambu Lounge (a beloved favorite)

Day 2: Saturday, July 23 - Hollywood Studios! Already changed to EPCOT morning - we need to do HS on a different day so we can see the new fireworks, and we will have other opportunities for IllumiNations later in the week!

BREAKFAST: No plans, but I promise we will eat something and post pics! Let's see how tired we are from our travel day the day before or how full we still are from 'Ohana. Maybe our bellies will feel all stretched out and in need for some Kona Cafe (If we can move our tails and be there when it opens)?

LUNCH: Something at Epcot or back at the POLY. I actually just booked an 11:30 lunch at Via Napoli, but I'm not too sure if I'm going to keep it. I'm skeptical about their Celiac-friendliness, and I don't want to risk Belle getting sick from flying flour...We might just go to the Cantina San Angel on our way out of the park for a swim, or this might be our Oasis Pool Bar or Captain Cook's lunch as we relax and save room for dinner...

DINNER: Stay tuned...for a dream-come-true! :cloud9:

Day 3: Sunday, July 24 - Animal Kingdom/Disney Springs

BREAKFAST: Captain Cook's?

LUNCH: Grazing at Flametree and the new Harambe Market

DINNER: Grazing (more like bar-hopping, TBH) in new Disney Springs with an ADR at Raglan Road so Belle can have some longed-for Gluten-Free Fish & Chips

Day 4: Monday, July 25 - Hollywood Studios

BREAKFAST: Captain Cook's? Starring Rolls?

LUNCH: In park? Back at Poly? Depends how into the Star Wars exhibits we feel.

DINNER: Yachtsman Steakhouse

Day 5: Tuesday, July 26 - Magic Kingdom/Epcot or Blizzard Beach

BREAKFAST?

LUNCH?

DINNER: HDDR 3rd show

Day 6: Wednesday, July 27 - Epcot

BREAKFAST?

LUNCH?

DINNER: Biergarten

Day 7: Thursday, July 28 - Magic Kingdom

BREAKFAST?

LUNCH?

DINNER: Be Our Guest

Day 8: Friday, July 29 - Travel home late - morning/afternoon Epcot? MK?

BREAKFAST?

LUNCH?

Wish list (intend to fit in somewhere)- Dole Whips, Tambu Lounge, Oasis Bar & Grill, Captain Cook's (lunch), Trader Sam's, Kona Cafe (breakfast and lunch), Columbia Harbour House, Skipper's Canteen, Pecos Bill's new menu, LeFou's Brew

Last edited:
I'm in! We will be at Poly July 24-30! Looking forward to your reviews!

Welcome!!! :welcome: Thanks for reading! Maybe we will see you at the Poly. Are you doing a trip or dining report?

I'm in! We will be at Poly July 24-30! Looking forward to your reviews!

Welcome!! :welcome:

Thanks so much for joining in. Are you over-the-moon about visiting the Poly? Are you doing a trip or dining report? See you in paradise!

My boyfriend also has to eat gluten free & Disney was amazing for that. He had a lot of foods he hasn't been able to order anywhere in years.

Can't wait to read more. We are at the Poly the same time as you ( July 22-30.) 'Ohana for us is on Saturday. Our plans changed a bit, we are now getting in earlier on Friday so not sure what we are doing for the day. Maybe we will see you around the pool

My boyfriend also has to eat gluten free & Disney was amazing for that. He had a lot of foods he hasn't been able to order anywhere in years.

Thanks for reading! Yes, we have heard about the dedicated fryers at Raglan Road and Columbia Harbour House, to name a few. Belle can't wait for chicken fingers and fish & chips. And GF bread rolls with her dinner every night. :lovestruc The simple things...it's hard for me to imagine NOT being able to have those things!

Can't wait to read more. We are at the Poly the same time as you ( July 22-30.) 'Ohana for us is on Saturday. Our plans changed a bit, we are now getting in earlier on Friday so not sure what we are doing for the day. Maybe we will see you around the pool

More time in WDW for you, yay!! Nothing like a surprise earlier-than-expected arrival - SCORE! Yes I hope we do see you at the pool! Thanks for following along...stay tuned! :flower2:

Welcome!! :welcome:

Thanks so much for joining in. Are you over-the-moon about visiting the Poly? Are you doing a trip or dining report? See you in paradise!

Poly wasn't our first choice, but got such a great deal I couldn't resist! We are just excited to be going back to Disney. We didn't expect a trip this year so this is just a bonus! No trip or dining report from me. I love to read them, but have never attempted to write one. Maybe one day!

Poly wasn't our first choice, but got such a great deal I couldn't resist! We are just excited to be going back to Disney. We didn't expect a trip this year so this is just a bonus! No trip or dining report from me. I love to read them, but have never attempted to write one. Maybe one day!

I know how you feel, I never wanted to do a report before, but I realize that the report is a great way to preserve memories, since I am terrible about keeping a journal or scrap book. So now I have my old DIS reports to look back on and my family appreciates that I did them.

Just out of curiosity, what was your first choice? Have you stayed at the Poly before? We have stayed many times and it is our favorite by far (though DH would rank WL very close). We wanted to try GF this time, but couldn't get a deal. Just as well for us!

I know how you feel, I never wanted to do a report before, but I realize that the report is a great way to preserve memories, since I am terrible about keeping a journal or scrap book. So now I have my old DIS reports to look back on and my family appreciates that I did them.

Just out of curiosity, what was your first choice? Have you stayed at the Poly before? We have stayed many times and it is our favorite by far (though DH would rank WL very close). We wanted to try GF this time, but couldn't get a deal. Just as well for us!

Yes, we have stayed at the Poly before. It was my daughter's dream resort so for her 17th birthday we surprised her with a stay there. It just didn't compare to AKL (Jambo) or BLT, in our opinion. I really was looking for AKL or WL or BW this time, but the Poly deal was the best. Don't get me wrong, we are excited about our trip! There's definitely nothing wrong with Poly; it's a beautiful resort, just not our favorite! My DH would rank WL as his favorite, I'm sure. Definitely his favorite club level is WL. He's a picky eater so the more traditional food at WL was perfect for him.

I can't believe it has been so long since your last trip/review! Can't wait to read all about this one! DS's GF and I will be there the weekend before you but only for two days. Looking forward to your reviews so I can further plan our empty nest trip in October!

I can't believe it has been so long since your last trip/review! Can't wait to read all about this one! DS's GF and I will be there the weekend before you but only for two days. Looking forward to your reviews so I can further plan our empty nest trip in October!

I KNOW RIGHT?! 4 years...where does the time GO?! So good to see you here. Just in the middle of catching up on your BONUS trip report, lucky duck!! Enjoy your weekend coming up so soon! I LOVE the idea of an empty next trip. I'm trying to convince DH we need one! Write a great report so I can use it to manipulate him! :teeth:

I KNOW RIGHT?! 4 years...where does the time GO?! So good to see you here. Just in the middle of catching up on your BONUS trip report, lucky duck!! Enjoy your weekend coming up so soon! I LOVE the idea of an empty next trip. I'm trying to convince DH we need one! Write a great report so I can use it to manipulate him! :teeth:

I will do my best!! :daisy:

anxious for the Gluten free foods..as our grandson has had to be gluten free the last six months..so far it is working fantastic..thanks for taking the time to do this

Thank you for reading. I will do my best with the GF reporting. I'm working on getting my first reviews up...have to figure out the whole resizing thing. While you wait for me and my technological challenges, I must say that Disney did an amazing job meeting Belle's dietary needs. She felt great the whole time and has never felt as safe as she did about dining out! She's pretty sure she didn't get even slightly glutened!

Day 1 Breakfast at home -

So we had bought some GF bagels for Belle when we thought we would be going for breakfast sandwiches at the local deli, but we realized some time constraints that morning and ended up not going to the deli after all. Belle still had her bagel...Udi's brand. Very good when toasted. Not as good as Joan's GF baked products that you can buy and bake at home. I recommend those, but in a pinch, Udi's are solid. Toasted on aluminum foil to prevent contamination from crumbs in the toaster.

udis.jpg bagel.jpg

I think Aladdin and Hercules had these:

capt crunch.jpg

Captain Crunch gives me a tongue-ache, so I went for gentler:

lucky charms.jpg
Yes, Gluten-Free Lucky Charms are available now, we even find them in Sam's Club! Be careful! Not ALL packages of Lucky Charms are GF- it depends upon the factory in which they are manufactured. Some have cross-contamination, even though the ingredients themselves are GF.

This was a little after 4 am in our kitchen. Our flight was to depart at 7:15 and we had to get moving...

Around 11:15, we were welcomed by this:
poly sign.jpg

We went to the front desk to check in (I had attempted to do this on line, but I guess it didn't work) - And our standard room was ready!:

poly view (3).jpg

We were in Fiji, 3rd floor as requested. I hadn't requested a specific side of the building; we have not stayed in either so didn't really care this time. It was a fabulous view! The only slight disappointment was that we were 2nd to last room on the Tuvalu end of Fiji and as a result, could not see the Contemporary or Space Mountain. BUT we could see the torch-lighting ceremony right from our balcony. It was lovely!

We pretty much dropped our stuff and took a few photos and headed out to our first lunch of the vacation!

Up next...lunch at Captain Cook's!

Last edited:
Day 1 - Lunch at Captain Cook's

We were so excited to be at the Polynesian! We love it there so! The sights, sounds, smells prove we are in our happy place, and we were so happy with our room. And we were HUNGRY!! We had a long discussion. This was important. Our first meal in WDW. Should we do Kona Cafe? We didn't have an ADR, but there were plenty of empty tables (always, every time we walked past, which boggles my mind, it's so good!). Might take too long. Head to MK for lunch? We had a 2 pm-ish FP at the Little Mermaid ride (new to us) so we had some time to kill, but we knew we would soon head to the park. We decided to do the thing that would produce the fastest, easiest food in our current situation, which meant a unanimous...Captain Cook's!!

The first thing we did was choose our refillable mugs. They only had 2 colors, red and blue, and weren't expecting a shipment for a few days. Aladdin suggested waiting and heading over to the Grand Floridian to see if they had a bigger selection. We decided we are buying drinks now and wanted more later today and why waste time and money in waiting so we chose red for the two firemen and Cinderella blue for the princesses:

cc mugs.jpg

Belle and Hercules each later attached carabiners to their handles to distinguish theirs and it worked great. We love our mugs!! We get so much value out of these things and use them even at home. One thing to note is that the lines at the beverage service area in CCs were always a zoo!! The mug rinse is in a corner that is virtually impossible to reach. And the coffee urns were empty many mornings, to the point we had to alert the CMs. They quickly responded and we never had to wait more than 10 minutes, but you know how long 10 minutes feels in the morning at WDW, when you're trying to make RD?!

Now the moment of truth....Belle asked for an allergy men...and we all held our breath! Could she really have the 1/3 lb. Angus Bacon Cheeseburger gluten-free? "Why, or course you can!" asserted the cashier. "Would you like that with fries?" "Hold on," Aladdin chimed in..."do you have...? "Yes, we have a special fryer!" she cut him off because she knew exactly what he was going to ask! They DO have a dedicated fryer so that people with CD or gluten sensitivity can enjoy fries that are fried by themselves without contamination from other things made with flour, like chicken fingers. Belle was in heaven. Heck yeah, bring it on. A bacon cheeseburger with fries! How decadent.

Behold the heavenly thing:

cc angus burger.jpg

Belle was thrilled with this. She declared the fries the closest to McDonald's she has been able to enjoy since last spring in England, where McDonald's fries are gluten free. She loved the burger, too, and said it hit the spot.

I was going to get the fish tacos, but at the last minute, I don't know why, as it was my turn to order "Pulled Pork Nachos" came flying out of my mouth. What was I thinking? Well, I was glad I ordered this yummy concoction!:

cc pork nachos.jpg

These are topped with onions, cheese, spicy mayo, tomatoes and pineapple salsa. They were delicious. There was so much pork on here, these could have easily served as lunch for two not famished people. I shared a few bites with Herc and Aladdin, and only left a few lonely chips at the bottom. Herc said he would have preferred these on corn chips, like regular nachos. I don't know, I'd have to taste them that way too, in order to make a judgment. These chips were delicious on their own. I love homemade potato chips! These are served at the two pool bars and also the Tambu lounge, and I highly recommend them as a poolside snack for a few people or to share as an appetizer over drinks. It served mighty well for my lunch, too, mind you!

Aladdin and Hercules both decided on the Aloha Pork sandwich with fries:

cc aloha pork.jpg

This is pulled pork (same as on the nachos - delicious!) served on a coconut pineapple bun with cheddar cheese, asian slaw, cucumbers and tomatoes. They both loved it! I tasted it and it was very good, I'm pretty sure we enjoyed this 4 years ago here, and it did not disappoint. I would have liked a little more of that delicious asian slaw. The shoestring fries were delicious, if you like your fries that way...we do!

A few more pics we snapped....

Gluten-ful bun and fries with the Aloha Pork Sandwich:

cc regular bun.jpg

Gluten-free bun and fries with Angus Bacon Cheeseburger:

cc gf bun.jpg

Captain Cook's receipt noting allergy:

cc receipt.jpg

So with happy tummies and happier hearts, we set out for the Magic Kingdom and our first adventure in "new" Fantasyland and our first experience with MDE and FP+.

Up next, a strange brew...

Last edited:
Following along! The food looks delicious! Congrats on your BSN. I am currently in my final year of nursing school and will be celebrating graduation next year at WDW. Can't wait to read more:yay:

GET A DISNEY VACATION QUOTE

Dreams Unlimited Travel is committed to providing you with the very best vacation planning experience possible. Our Vacation Planners are experts and will share their honest advice to help you have a magical vacation.

Let us help you with your next Disney Vacation!

facebook twitter